• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump praises absurd bigot Robert Jeffress.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/921524504836395008

Great book just out, "A Place Called Heaven," by Dr. Robert Jeffress - A wonderful man!

Jeffress hates the gays and the Muslims (Islam promotes pedophilia according to Jeffress) and black people (kneeling NFL players should be killed according to Jeffress) as you would expect, but he goes a step further than other bigots in that he thinks Mormonism and Catholicism are works from Satan.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/...aying-catholic-church-genius-of-satan-158572/

I'm not sure if this is thread worthy, but the president of the United States is promoting a guy who thinks that Catholics are works of Satan so there's that.

Althane

Jeffress is Trump's pet pastor. Not really a surprise that he would support his book.

Would note that the thought that Mormonism and Catholicism are evil are not really all that unique, at least among Protestants in the US. Mormonism is a scam (and non-religious me will agree to that!), and Catholicism has some leftover hate from the whole European inquisitions and persecution.

Mathieran

Banned
Think he actually read it? I doubt he would have a problem with the material but the president probably shouldn't be recommending books he doesn't read.

Ogodei

I'm not sure whether i should be surprised that there are still Protestants around who think that Catholics are closet Satanists.

vern

Jeffress is Trump's pet pastor. Not really a surprise that he would support his book.

Would note that the thought that Mormonism and Catholicism are evil are not really all that unique, at least among Protestants in the US. Mormonism is a scam (and non-religious me will agree to that!), and Catholicism has some leftover hate from the whole European inquisitions and persecution.

What makes Mormonism more of a scam than any other religion?

rjinaz

Hateful bigoted person promotes hateful bigoted person. Only in 2017 is one of them President. Well at least Hillary is out of the picture am i rite?

Huh. Now even the President thinks I'm a spawn of Hell. That's what I get for being a Mormon /s.

Oh well. I had people yell at my face for two years and almost had a gun pointed at me once so I guess it's all part of the job haha!
It was started by a noted Scam Artist, for starters.
I very firmly disagree with you and will end it there so that I don't diverge the topic.

Althane

I'd say Mormonism exerts much more political control in its localized area, and over the lives of its followers, using religious backing to accomplish it.

It was also founded by a huckster and scammer, so there is that as well.

I'm also fairly prejudiced against Mormons, but that's probably just me being more of a general asshole more than any specific instances.

Edit:

^^ Aww, he's making me feel like an asshole by being a decent person!

chekhonte

We're not going to talk about Judy, we're not going to talk about Judy at all. We're going to keep her out of this.

SomTervo

We have immediately recent historical writings of Americans throughout the states saying "yo this shit is made up, he made it up to profit off cult mentality" literally the same decade as Mormonism was invented. It's not like the further back history of other sects and faiths which is arguably more dubious. Mormonism is some modern shit, just like scientology.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I gave Trump the benefit of the doubt and thought this was just some generic, harmless Christian book he was randomly promoting to seem more "hip" with the religious community.

I need to stop doing this.

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh neat, so tons of people are going to read the bifoted rantings of a lunatic and think: "Well, the President endorsed this and called him a wonderful man, so maybe this guy's on to something here...?"

Don't forget the child molestation, we won't forget that anytime soon in Ireland.

vern

I like all the answers to my question, but still doesn’t seem to make them “more of a scam” than the other religions, Mormonism is just as BS filled as the rest of them.

I mean, if you believe in any kind of God, are invisible platinum cubes somehow a stretch?

Pretty much. Mocking other religions here? i thought we were better than that.

Everything that's religious or spiritual is a "stretch". Let people believe what they want, as long as they are good people and don't advocate for hate or discrimination, i say go for it.

There's a good southpark episode about this, tbh. The one with the mormon's, specially the end, is savage and a big critique to people feeling the need to bash religious people when they actually don't harm others at all.

tuxfool

Banned
I like all the answers to my question, but still doesn't seem to make them ”more of a scam" than the other religions, Mormonism is just as BS filled as the rest of them.

People attribute more value to things that they can prove. Given that there is a clear matter of record regarding the start of the religion people can confidently say it is a scam. Likewise with the matter of Scientology and other modern religions.

Jackpot

Banned
There's a good southpark episode about this, tbh. The one with the mormon's, specially the end, is savage and a big critique to people feeling the need to bash religious people when they actually don't harm others at all.

Mormonism, and religion in general, has done plenty of harm.

Have people already forgotten Proposition 8?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Huh. Now even the President thinks I'm a spawn of Hell. That's what I get for being a Mormon /s.

Oh well. I had people yell at my face for two years and almost had a gun pointed at me once so I guess it's all part of the job haha!

I very firmly disagree with you and will end it there so that I don't diverge the topic.

Read Rough Stone Rolling then return and report.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Think he actually read it? I doubt he would have a problem with the material but the president probably shouldn't be recommending books he doesn't read.

Trump is not,much of a reader, in any sense of the word. If it's not about him then it's not worth struggling to read it.

kess

Nothing says "leftover hate" like "kill the kneeling pigskin players"

Top Bottom