• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 25 - July 1

sephi22

Alright, hey guys. I know I said I was going to make the EVO thread, but well, because of a combination of factors my schedule has been a bit crazy. I guess I only have myself to blame for that. Trying to arrange my trip to EVO + large dose of procrastination made for bad things.

I'm sorry for not delivering, especially because I said I would, but didn't. I'm just a bit tired, physically and otherwise. I'll have to leave to you guys. It's not like it has to be anything spectacular, having a place for discussion (or I guess a lot of OMGs and WTFs) is the most important thing.

Those going to EVO, don't expect much if you meet me, hahaha. I'm pretty low tier, if you get what I mean.
Who's awesome? You're awesome.

Get to working on that thread Enzo

Dahbomb

Like I said this is par for the course for Capcom (pick half fan favorites, pick half whatever the fuck they and Marvel want). I am 90% sure they probably picked Cyke because of the whole Phoenix Force thing going on in Marvel universe.

Let's cool ourselves before this is actually unveiled, no need getting worked up over a rumor.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You played She Hulk and Tron? Maybe they will get buffed now.

No sir i did not. The takeaway is that the power that be have proved they cant be trusted when it comes to balancing the cast. If the rumor is out there then there's a good chance its legit. So we might as well kick off the inevitable inaugural character begging thats sure to happen. I want Talbain, Hayato and Sabertooth...and Cable...and nerf wesker =)

Dahbomb

Honestly speaking Vanilla to Ultimate benefited MVC3 a shit ton in terms of balance. 90% of the changes were great, 10% ended up being pretty bad so overall it was a big improvement. If they can manage something similar then that would be awesome...

Then again I see crap like Magneto getting a new move and I just SMH....

GatorBait

Honestly speaking Vanilla to Ultimate benefited MVC3 a shit ton in terms of balance. 90% of the changes were great, 10% ended up being pretty bad so overall it was a big improvement. If they can manage something similar then that would be awesome...

Then again I see crap like Magneto getting a new move and I just SMH....

Agreed with you that UMvC3 balance changes were overall very on-point and ironed out the game's balance in a big way...but what's wrong with a character getting a new move?

Tizoc

Servbot/Kobun is one of my mains in MvC2, so I'd be so estatic if he makes it in.
...other than that, that twitter account looks BS.

Road

Alright, hey guys. I know I said I was going to make the EVO thread, but well, because of a combination of factors my schedule has been a bit crazy. I guess I only have myself to blame for that. Trying to arrange my trip to EVO + large dose of procrastination made for bad things.

I'm sorry for not delivering, especially because I said I would, but didn't. I'm just a bit tired, physically and otherwise. I'll have to leave to you guys. It's not like it has to be anything spectacular, having a place for discussion (or I guess a lot of OMGs and WTFs) is the most important thing.

Those going to EVO, don't expect much if you meet me, hahaha. I'm pretty low tier, if you get what I mean.

No, problem. Your weekly threads have been very, very useful. Thanks for those.

I don't see what's the rush to open the EVO thread so early. It'll just be people talking about raffles and (overblown) drama for the first 10 pages before there's any actual EVO discussion anyway.

Dahbomb

Of all characters that should be getting a new move... Magneto is not one of them. He is a complete character in UMVC3 and with a few modifications (like take out the Repulsion exploit) he would be a perfectly legit character that requires effort to utilize him properly but when you do you are rewarded. He already has more than enough tools to compete.

It's like giving Dante a new move. Just a case of rich getting richer, that's all.

Of all characters that should be getting a new move... Magneto is not one of them. He is a complete character in UMVC3 and with a few modifications (like take out the Repulsion exploit) he would be a perfectly legit character that requires effort to utilize him properly but when you do you are rewarded. He already has more than enough tools to compete.

It's like giving Dante a new move. Just a case of rich getting richer, that's all.

Could be a trap move like Swiss Cheese depending on how it works?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Repulsion Glitch is pretty predictable.

I am surprised that Mags is not broken, his new moves n buffs just added to his character.

The only serious nerf i can think off really is Zero. Its getting boring fighting him.

Why balance characters no one cares about? "Fixing" the popular characters gives more people a reason to upgrade and play the new game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Wolverine got an infinite off of Swiss Cheese that had to be nerfed.

I'm just sayin...

Switzerland's finest is an awesome move. I do give the team the benefit of the doubt because it IS a big complicated game. However at the end of the day if people stop playing characters because of the decisions you made when you were balancing them, then you've failed. With marvel it wasnt nearly as bad as with SF4, but it seems like capcom honestly has no clue how to get the job done.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's okay USD. Next thing this happens, try and notify us earlier if you can.

I'll make the thread.

Can you guys tell me the list of notable players for each game? And format?

And other little tidbits I could add in it.

I'll make the thread.

yes plz

Also whoever compiles the list of players, can you list the countries? <3

everyone-the-professional.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"no hud or menu changes"

sounds real =(

Where the fuck is Thanos? Loki? I thought Marvel used this game to advertise their shit?
Cyke is currently in the centre of the whole Avengers vs. X-Men event in the comics. So that's potential reasoning. Someone on GFAQs brought up a long time ago (which I recall) when someone asked Niitsuma who he wanted in and they'd let him use, and he did some sort of motion implying Cyke's visor.

Who's awesome? You're awesome.

Get to working on that thread Enzo
If its okay/people want, I can whip up a thread tonight.

EDIT: or whomever can make it.

I'll make the thread.

And other little tidbits I could add in it.

Gaf meet-up is at the Cravings Buffet at the Mirage next door to Caesar's, 8PM on friday, tell them to PM me for a spot.

Tizoc

Cyke is currently in the centre of the whole Avengers vs. X-Men event in the comics. So that's potential reasoning. Someone on GFAQs brought up a long time ago (which I recall) when someone asked Niitsuma who he wanted in and they'd let him use, and he did some sort of motion implying Cyke's visor.

If its okay/people want, I can whip up a thread tonight

Do it! I would've made a pretty lame OT anyways =/

GatorBait

See, I have two problems with your line of thinking:

1) You are making a false equivalency between a character gaining new moves and things like balance and competitive viability, which are not necessarily related. Adding a move does not necessarily result in a character becoming unbalanced and/or stronger competitively. (It does add additional variables that need to be taken into consideration when balancing though, which theoretically would make it more difficult to balance characters and would yield a greater probability for negative balance issues to result, so I can see why you would say that.)

2) This is a game where a lot of the interest in particulars characters derives from how accurately they are adapted from their source material. When playing UMvC3, many of the characters play very similarly to the way you would imagine them playing if you had knowledge of their representation in their source material. In my opinion, adding to a character to more faithfully represent source material is a good thing. Does UMvC3 Dante really need that many moves? Absolutely not - he could be just as well balanced if you halved the amount of moves he has, but having all those moves gives you a greater sense of playing a DMC3 Dante ripped straight from that game and placed into MvC3. Additionally, with "legacy characters" (e.g. Magneto, Spider-Man) their moveset was constrained previously to the imagination of the previous design teams and the ability to implement it into the previous iterations in the Vs. series (which could've been constrained by the game engine, system memory, control layout, etc.).

Finishing my thoughts with looping back around to Magneto's new move: though attraction/repulsion has shown to be largely situational and unused in high-level play, I'll be damned if it doesn't make UMvC3 Magneto play a little bit more how you would expect a comic book Magneto to play.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I have free time right now so I can do. And you know how I do things. :p
1024x1024 picture of fubarduck full of animated hearts!!

Speaking of fubarduck ... the marn blow up was crazy.

Azure J

Re: That twitter rumor:

Didn't expect to see it discussed in here with such prominence but I definitely just copy/pasted after seeing it mentioned on SRK sometime yesterday. Do I put any stock into it? Not really. After UMVC3X earlier this year and knowing full well that the Marvel fanbase would readily accept as many (good) characters and updates you can throw at them, this kinda reeks of a second attempt at trolling/unnecessarily hyping the fan base. Not to mention outside of Megs, the rumored character updates are lame in a MVC2 "sprite repository" kinda way.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Re: That twitter rumor:

Didn't expect to see it discussed in here with such prominence but I definitely just copy/pasted after seeing it mentioned on SRK sometime yesterday. Do I put any stock into it? Not really. After UMVC3X earlier this year and knowing full well that the Marvel fanbase would readily accept as many (good) characters and updates you can throw at them, this kinda reeks of a second attempt at trolling/unnecessarily hyping the fan base. Not to mention outside of Megs, the rumored character updates are lame in a MVC2 "sprite repository" kinda way.
Yeah I think the most fake bit of it is the copy paste of MM's play style, I highly doubt it.

at least this rumor has a short deadline...we find out Friday and it's not like there isn't other hype to offset it if it's fake. but if it's real, it'll be pretty dang hype for better or worse

Anth0ny

Yeah I think the most fake bit of it is the copy paste of MM's play style, I highly doubt it.

But isn't that such a Capcom thing to do? "This aught to shut those Megaman fanboys up. Don't even bother thinking of a new moveset, just throw the MVC2 shit in there."

I don't want this to be real. But if it was fake, I would imagine the twitter person would think of something more exciting than Servbot...

Is this the rumour Hadoken.net put on their website a little bit back, or a new one?

EDIT:

HOLY POTATOES SERVBOT AND MEGAMAN

MY CHIIIIIIIIIIIILDHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD :D

rocK`

Banned

Those going to EVO, don't expect much if you meet me, hahaha. I'm pretty low tier, if you get what I mean

I DONT GET WHAT YOU MEAN

Top Bottom