• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haters Back Off

Grinchy

Banned
How is there not a thread for this bizarre and hilarious show? It's about this weird girl who wants to be internet famous and an underachieving uncle who desperately wants to help her.

hater2.gif

The trailer didn't really sell me, but I ended up watching it one day when I had run out of other things to watch. It ended up being hilarious and season 2 was just released recently.

Fans of Easbound and Down will probably love the Uncle Jim character, played by Stevie:
yxethFal.png

Grinchy

Banned
I will give it a go and report back OP.

You fuckin better. Or else.

Yeah, and even reading the post I was having second guesses too.
lmao I had no idea what you guys were on about at first, but I guess I can kinda see it.

No, this thread is about the show that somehow has never had a thread on GAF before and is linked to in the first sentence of the OP.

My initial impression is that this show glorifies internet stardom and culture. Am I wrong and theres more to this show?
It does the complete opposite of glorifying it.

CDX

She's been playing that character, Miranda Sings, since 2008 or something on her youtube channel. I wasn't aware of her until I saw the Netflix show.

Some of the old YouTube videos from years ago she makes really strange references about her uncle, and he was never seen until the Netflix show. So she must've been planning or hoping to do something like the Netflix show for awhile, and had much of it planned out.

Mesousa

Banned
She's aged pretty heavily since her original youtube days just looking at that gif in the op.

Miranda is less "out of touch" youngster and more "out of touch" middle aged person now from the looks of it lol.

Grinchy

Banned
She's been playing that character, Miranda Sings, since 2008 or something on her youtube channel. I wasn't aware of her until I saw the Netflix show.

Some of the old YouTube videos from years ago she makes really strange references about her uncle, and he was never seen until the Netflix show. So she must've been planning or hoping to do something like the Netflix show for awhile, and had much of it planned out.

What? So she is someone who really spun her youtube channel into an actual TV show in a show about a youtube channel trying to spin itself into an actual TV show. Wow, that's some meta shit.

LordRaptor

No, this thread is about the show that somehow has never had a thread on GAF before

It did, but it was mostly just people going "shits trash" and how unfunny it would be based on their familiarity with the youtube videos.

I'd never heard of it, but thought it was pretty funny.
The episode where shes trying to sell merchandise in a hospital in season 2 is fucking Always Sunny levels of dark

What? So she is someone who really spun her youtube channel into an actual TV show in a show about a youtube channel trying to spin itself into an actual TV show. Wow, that's some meta shit.

The last episode of season 2
ends with her watching the actress who plays her on TV as part of some kayfabe ruse that the two are seperate

e:
Also the mum in this is Angela from the american Office

Mesousa

Banned

The key is that her character(atlas on youtube. Ive never seen her netflix show) was actually entertaining.

Like South Park Joked. Netflix will give you a show if you have an interesting character lol.

Grinchy

Banned
It did, but it was mostly just people going "shits trash" and how unfunny it would be based on their familiarity with the youtube videos.

I'd never heard of it, but thought it was pretty funny.
The episode where shes trying to sell merchandise in a hospital in season 2 is fucking Always Sunny levels of dark

The last episode of season 2
ends with her watching the actress who plays her on TV as part of some kayfabe ruse that the two are seperate

e:
Also the mum in this is Angela from the american Office

Oh, it must have been one of the threads that got deleted. I searched before I made this one. And yeah, I noticed that thing about the end of Season 2 but it was positioned into the story in a way that I never suspected there was some kind of real life connection.

I would have never known she was just some youtuber who got a show. It's well-written and acted.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

lmao I had no idea what you guys were on about at first, but I guess I can kinda see it.

No, this thread is about the show that somehow has never had a thread on GAF before and is linked to in the first sentence of the OP.

Or else what?

Im watching it now and its not looking hopeful.

Im now 14mins in and its actually feeding my curiosity and entertaining me.

The Hermit

Hmm interested. Thanks for the heads up

LakeEarth

I never gave it a chance, but my friend's 9 year old daughter loves it (which is probably more the target audience). So maybe there's good stuff there.

Shamylov

I really like this show but can also totally understand why someone else wouldn't.

The show is all about the Miranda character so I think they can't make her grow much or else the whole point of the show would be lost, which limits the writing.

I enjoy the comedy but sometimes I wish it was a little more clever.

Something that surprised me is that they throw drama in there and I actually started caring about the characters.

Maximus P

Well, I tried it and made it 4 episodes in before I decided to not watch anymore.

I think this could have possibly worked as a movie, but I'm not willing to put the time in to see if the main character learns anything, becomes a better person and becomes more self aware of her lack of talent by putting herself out there on a public platform.

Qwark

I like this show, but not so much for the comedy (sometimes it gets me, like the prop toilet bit). It actually seems really depressing to me. What a terrible family. But it's stupid and interesting, so I like it.

Grinchy

Banned
Well, I tried it and made it 4 episodes in before I decided to not watch anymore.

I think this could have possibly worked as a movie, but I'm not willing to put the time in to see if the main character learns anything, becomes a better person and becomes more self aware of her lack of talent by putting herself out there on a public platform.

4 episodes is a strong attempt, for sure. That's more than I typically give a show I'm not necessarily liking.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I'm not sure this means anything outside of Philly sports but she has a "Hate The Face" quality that I can't seem to get past. Also I remember her from Comedians In Cars and she had one of the worst episodes that I can recall.

I'll bravely sit the bench on this one.

T.v

I'm not sure this means anything outside of Philly sports but she has a "Hate The Face" quality that I can't seem to get past. Also I remember her from Comedians In Cars and she had one of the worst episodes that I can recall.

I'll bravely sit the bench on this one.

I know what you mean. It might be a shallow reason not to watch, but I cannot get past it. To me it just seems like another one of those shitty Netflix shows that they threw money at.

Pluto

Years ago she started the "Miranda Sings" channel to make fun of girls who overestimate their own abilities, back then it was pretty realistic, she also pretended Miranda was real back then.

This is a very early video of hers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GVkpTyuvDs

Over the years Miranda's look and antics became more exaggerated and reached the point where it's obviously an act, she dropped the ruse years ago and posts as herself on the "Psycho Soprano" channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1hZjCoyJhg

Sometimes even doing crossovers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZK0cpSTSno

She can be pretty funny, her live shows are good imo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4d6hCpVuo at the end she switches between her regular voice and Miranda's voice, that was pretty cool but the entire thing is funny.

I'm not a fan of the Netflix show though, I watched the first season and Want to strangle Miranda, maybe that's the point but it's bit too much for me, the Netflix show took all the awkward and unsympathetic parts of Miranda and removed most of the fun.

Grinchy

Banned
Years ago she started the "Miranda Sings" channel to make fun of girls who overestimate their own abilities, back then it was pretty realistic, she also pretended Miranda was real back then.

This is a very early video of hers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GVkpTyuvDs

Over the years Miranda's look and antics became more exaggerated and reached the point where it's obviously an act, she dropped the ruse years ago and posts as herself on the "Psycho Soprano" channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1hZjCoyJhg

Sometimes even doing crossovers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZK0cpSTSno

She can be pretty funny, her live shows are good imo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4d6hCpVuo at the end she switches between her regular voice and Miranda's voice, that was pretty cool but the entire thing is funny.

I'm not a fan of the Netflix show though, I watched the first season and Want to strangle Miranda, maybe that's the point but it's bit too much for me, the Netflix show took all the awkward and unsympathetic parts of Miranda and removed most of the fun.

It's so bizarre to me. I just assumed she was some actress I didn't know about who got a chance on Netflix. I had no idea how deep the backstory was lol

Wanting to strangle Miranda is one of the things I like about the way the show is written. I just want to hate her so much, but then suddenly something bad happens to her and I switch to feeling sorry for her.

Basoes

So is this like the show Zach Stone is Gonna Be Famous?

that was a good one, shame it got canned

Grinchy

Banned
So is this like the show Zach Stone is Gonna Be Famous?

that was a good one, shame it got canned

Yeah, that show was good. I guess there are a lot of similarities here. Someone is desperate for fame and throws aside people in their real lives who care about them for some pipe dream of being famous. Both are comedies that inject drama. Yeah, they are quite similar actually.

G-Bus

Banned
Ah, my wife was watching this the other day. I think it's something I need to check out from the first episode.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I never heard of coleen ballinger or her fictional character miander sings b4 this show,

Pretty crazy that they made a tv show based on a fictional youtube character.

Gibbs

I binged the first season and LOVED it. Season 2 wasn't as good but it's nearly there.

I feel bad for the sister and mom most times. Same with the guy who likes Miranda. The creepy uncle uggggh.

ALL HAIL @MirandaSings! :D

Top Bottom