• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

So how would space/reality be handled in this game? I am certain that eventually we will be going to The Blind Eternities at some point and this would be the perfect time for such theme. I don't think it would focus on Eldrazi though as they are just the physical manifestation of what lies there to our world.

the-architect.jpg.ae97163c14521a27fd2894bf2df2dd22.jpg

Welcome to the Matr... Blind Eternities, Motherfucker.

Joe Molotov

So how would space/reality be handled in this game? I am certain that eventually we will be going to The Blind Eternities at some point and this would be the perfect time for such theme. I don't think it would focus on Eldrazi though as they are just the physical manifestation of what lies there to our world.

Un-sets are the Blind Eternities.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
nobody cares what urza's imaginary card does

does that settle it

inside joke. Dumb reddit comments IIRC, Gaby hadn't been streaming and turns out she was separating from her husband. Redditors claimed it's because she had an affair with LSV and that's why he wasn't streaming either. In reality he just had a kid.

Apparently he's separating from his wife also which is why people won't shut up about the dumb rumor.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Blind Eternities are colorless, hence the Eldrazi

Angry Grimace

We're about to find out if Bant Splicers is a real thing you can do in MMA draft. (Could use a Blade Splicer)

OnPoint

nobody cares what urza's imaginary card does

does that settle it

No, because nobody is talking about the card and what it does. We're talking about the color identity of the character. Which to you is likely a topic equally devoid of value. But then current events in Magic are devoid of happenings and we've moved away from making imaginary cards during downtime
(please nobody take this as an invitation to start)
, so the convo has to go somewhere.

cdViking

I hope I'm not your source on this because I got it from a random reddit post.

It doesn't validate any BS rumors (which have to be especially infuriating when going through personal challenges), but I noticed he didn't have a wedding ring on during his stream last night when he has previously.

(Will needlessly defend myself as being not creepy for observing... been catching up on Magic from the last year or so and watching a lot of his CFB "LSV Streams a ...." videos, and he holds his hands in a way that visually stand out.)

ultron87

We're about to find out if Bant Splicers is a real thing you can do in MMA draft.

I went that way in both my drafts over the weekend. Despite flickering stuff being approximately my favorite mechanic I wasn't forcing it. I swear. I just opened Blade Splicer twice. Yes.

It worked pretty well I thought? Though it feels like you kind of need a Wing Splicer.

Angry Grimace

I went that way in both my drafts over the weekend. Despite flickering stuff being approximately my favorite mechanic I wasn't forcing it. I swear. I just opened Blade Splicer twice. Yes.

It worked pretty well I thought? Though it feels like you kind of need a Wing Splicer.

I have all of the Splicers other than Blade Splicer and a Stoic Angel. And an Intangible Virtue because fuck my opponents.

No, because nobody is talking about the card and what it does. We're talking about the color identity of the character. Which to you is likely a topic equally devoid of value. But then current events in Magic are devoid of happenings and we've moved away from making imaginary cards during downtime
(please nobody take this as an invitation to start)
, so the convo has to go somewhere.
Did somebody say Making cards?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

I think the issue is that Standard is solved like no get out+lack of anything actually happening. Modern Masters 3 is great, but we've got nothing new on Amonkhet.

OnPoint

lol c'mon.

OK that's funny.

But please no one else do this.

In other news my box of MM2017 is FINALLY in. So I'm gonna pick that up soon.

Angry Grimace

I'd argue it's by the best archetype in the format. How are you doing with it?

drew no creatures and died to a falkenrath noble I couldn't counter with familiar's ruse because I had no creatures

Poppy

my MM box wasnt too hot, i did get:
Cavern of Souls
Arid Mesa
Blood Moon
Snapcaster Mage
and some other stuff like voice, griselbrand, deaths shadow. meh, wanted more fetches, and of course everyone wants a lili or a goyf, and this i think is minus value overall on the price i paid. but thats the life i chose. its still not bad, i love having a cavern of souls

meanwhile my eternal masters box i decided to buy had:
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Mana Crypt
Karakas
and some other stuff like foil pyroblast, entomb, enlightened tutor, some other rares i like having since i basically just collect singletons
cant be too upset about those three mythics though! just missed out on FoW. got my value there

Angry Grimace

Apparently its a horrible archetype because I drew nothing but lands or no lands and died and went 0-2 drop.

Also I had my opponent dead on board and he topdecked GRISELBRAND

this fucken game sometimes
LLShC.gif

Poppy

Apparently its a horrible archetype because I drew nothing but lands or no lands and died and went 0-2 drop.

LLShC.gif

i got blown out by no cards in hand topdeck bonfire of the damned on a cant lose game the turn before alpha striking for lethal. i also lost the first game even though i played two thragtusks and a bunch of other persistent threats. its possible i just suck

though to be fair this was a beta draft and it turns out if they can stick visara the dreadful and you have no removal then you are doomed

Yeef

Random thoughts on Modern Masters 2017 Drafts from last weekend:
  • I generally found myself in Black and/or Red. The removal in those colors is just a lot better than any of the other colors.
  • Pitfall Trap is a huge under performer. In my experience, fliers, token swarms and life drain were the paths to victory. Pitfall Trap doesn't deal with any of them effectively.
  • During one pod, one person opened 3 fetches (one in each pack). During that same pod I opened an Arid Mesa and a Liliana. Another guy opened the last fetch in that pod, as well as a Damnation and a Snapcaster. That box was pretty loaded.
  • 4-color and 5-color goodstuff decks are even more consistent than I expected, mainly because the format is slower than I expected. Most of the games I dropped were to 5-color decks that just had bombs on their top end that I couldn't deal with effectively.
  • Even though the set is the same size as a normal large set, it sometimes feels like you see more copies of the same cards. I think part of it is that there's so many gold cards at common that people aren't willing to commit to early. It wasn't uncommon to end up with 4 (or more) copies of a common if you really wanted them. In the most hilarious instance, one guy managed to draft 5 coiling oracles and played them all (he could have gotten a 6th, but decided against it). One guy also had a deck with 5 Eyes in the Skies and 2 Intangible Virtues. It reminded me of the original Conspiracy in some ways.

[EDIT]
Been wanting to ask this for some time, why is tumblr of all things the social network of choice for WotC? That's just weird.
According to Rosewater, he gets the most traffic on Twitter. Wizards also posts on Twitter and Facebook. Rosewater originally just used tumblr as a place to post his comics, but then randomly decided one day to open it up to user questions.

Son1x

I went 3-1-1 with a Bant Blink deck. Had 0 removal spells but quite a few blink/bounce spells along with the regen, vigilance and flying splicers and Thragtusk.

The tie was from a round I played very poorly but I ended up placing 4th and got two prize boosters anyway.

Tumblr has a higher percentage of young adult women than most other social media, and Wizards has been targeting that demographic for awhile.
That does make sense in some way, can't relate to that.
literally the only one they know how to operate
MaRo is using Twitter quite extensively and the previous CM was pretty good on reddit, reddit wasn't good for her though.
[EDIT]According to Rosewater, he gets the most traffic on Twitter. Wizards also posts on Twitter and Facebook. Rosewater originally just used tumblr as a place to post his comics, but then randomly decided one day to open it up to user questions.
yeah their whole social media strategy is confusing w/o reddit or gaf I'd miss all of the announcements.

I'd like wizards to mix and match split cards. say there's 1 split card of every colour in the set. You can get any combination of those, could also be just any friendly or enemy combo and in the following set the other five.

Been wanting to ask this for some time, why is tumblr of all things the social network of choice for WotC? That's just weird.

WotC's most significant social media presence is actually on Twitter, which makes sense since it's the ideal place to deliver small but frequent updates and it doesn't make it totally random whether people can see your posts like Facebook does. Tumblr's the next best option since you can get high visibility on your posts and it's got a favorable demographic. No one there is young and hip enough to know how to leverage Snapchat, and Reddit is a garbageman pisshole that they had to pull a rep from for actual legit safety concerns. I think that covers it?

Did someone say "custom cards?"

I'm not sure you need that to be an activated ability, I don't think it even costs two mana to make me salty.

Angry Grimace

Nothing as awesome as someone shipping you 3-4 powerful cards in an archetype and then deciding to cut you off.

Watching Kenji lose in a Grixis mirror while his opponent is ghosting is just sad. This is why I don't like draft leagues.

Because Kenji loses while his opponent ghosts him? That seems like a ridiculous specific reason.

Firemind

Mostly because you can get paired against someone who plays the same cards as you but with extra bombs because he/she got fed better in his/her pod.

The ghosting is just the extra sad cherry on top.

Angry Grimace

Putting Deadeye Navigator in MM3 was a much worse decision than making it all leagues. What a dumb card, especially in this format.

I don't know why I keep drafting Wayfaring Temple. I've never gotten it to connect once.

Poppy

clearly the draft format is solved and the best deck is giantbaiting burn as seen on mtggoldfish twitch this afternoon

Angry Grimace

clearly the draft format is solved and the best deck is giantbaiting burn as seen on mtggoldfish twitch this afternoon
I think a lot of my problem in MM style drafts is that I don't go in hard enough on the archetypes. Populate kind of doesn't work if you don't draft enough copies of Eyes in the Sky.

y2dvd

Putting Deadeye Navigator in MM3 was a much worse decision than making it all leagues. What a dumb card, especially in this format.

I don't know why I keep drafting Wayfaring Temple. I've never gotten it to connect once.

Wayfaring Temple is awesome in a tokens deck, especially if you can get the enchantment that produces 2 saporling tokens and gives trample. I dominated my pod with that all night.

Angry Grimace

Wayfaring Temple is awesome in a tokens deck, especially if you can get the enchantment that produces 2 saporling tokens and gives trample. I dominated my pod with that all night.
I just never works for me the way it does to draft a million Eyes in the Sky.

noquarter

LLShC.gif

Sounds like what happened to me over the weekend. Wasn't trying to go UWr Blink, but kept getting decent cards in the colors and that is how it ended up.

First match mulliganed to 6 both times, get mana flooded the first game and saw a drought the second game. Still was hanging in there, but just couldn't get in for the damage. Felt bad that my deck should have been able to finish the game, but either couldn't get the mana to finish it or only drew mana. My opponent was able to play Seance though and populate a Thragtusk token in both games, so that was nice for someone
He passed me a Misty Rainforest to take the Foil Thragtusk, sucks I got killed by a Seance'ed Thragtusk token, but think I still won

Second match was against UWg (saw who else was taking the Splicers) First game had to mulligan again, then got flooded again. Second game I won (he got flodded). Third game was close, but couldn't get one more damage in before he was able to get me to zero.

Check out this awesome stuff red can do!
golaranjago asked: In what Red is really good about other than direct damage and Haste creatures? It seems to me every other color does something Red does, but more efficiently.

Effects that Red is the top color at: (off the top of my head)

- First strike (primary along with white)

- Panic effects (“target creature can’t block”)

- Temporarily stealing

- Land destruction

- Firebreathing

- Rummaging (“Discard and draw”)

- Impulsive draw

- having additional combat phases

- temporary mana production

Wow, stuff other colors are as good at, stuff other colors are better at, and stuff red almost never gets good cards for!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Additional combat steps is also too powerful to ever be on decent cards.

Also when I think of first strike, its white that comes to mind.

The most "iconic" first strike card is Thalia all the way.

Red just gets shit all the way in terms of recent cards. Like, I really want to kick whoever at Wizards thinks Punisher Mechanics are a good idea. They never are good and the one time they actually made it a mechanic it was a shitshow

Yeef

White and red are about equal on both first strike and double strike (red actually has slightly more cards for each, overall white has slightly more, but they're within 10 cards of one another).

It's true that red's biggest strengths are burn and hasty dudes, but those are pretty big strengths. Mono-red has a strong track record of being competitive in nearly every format. The issue, for the time being, is that they've scaled back on burn, and, with vehicles, basically every creature has haste.

• Panic effects are generally worse than tap effects, which white and blue get.
  • Temporarily stealing is worse than permanently stealing, which blue (and occasionally black) get.
  • Land destruction isn't printed at a cost that's playable these days.
  • Firebreathing is generally worse than the green and black versions that also pump toughness.
  • Rummaging is a worse version of looting.
  • Impulsive draw is a worse version of drawing.
  • Additional combat phases, like land destruction, isn't pushed.
  • Temporary mana production is a lot worse than mana ramp and also not typically viable.
I don't personally have any issue with red being shoehorned as the beatdown color, but that means ensuring that beatdown is always somewhat playable, which hasn't been the case for awhile now..

G.ZZZ

If fast mana production is not usable by design anymore, red should get a form of ramp alternative to green, maybe one shot ramp, but not tied to lands for sure.

Like:

Llanowar Goblin
Creature
At the start of your second main phase, if Llanowar Goblin attacked, add R
2/1

Mana Vessel R
Enchantment
R: add a counter
Sacrifice: add X mana of any color where is X is counter

Fire Rod 3
ARtifact
T: add R
R, T: deal 1
R, T: add RRR

Or fast mana production limited to creating:

Artificer's ritual R
Sorcery
Add RRRR to your mana pool. Use this only to cast artifact non-creature spells.

There was a period where Red was getting Ritual-esque effects stapled onto creatures, though like fucking everything else that's now Green for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom