• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fact: Aisle seats are the best seats on planes

nelchaar

As a frequent flyer, aisle seats are easily the worst. On a lot of planes, you will get noticeable less foot space (sometimes half the space even) and constantly get smacked by the food cart or the flight attendants.

Easily the worst seat on the plane.

Edit: special screw you to the couples that book one seat in the window, and the other the aisle seat in the same row and spend the whole flight talking to each other through you and passing shit to each other while you ride middle seat.

Falchion

You're absolutely correct unless you're traveling with people you know and then it's window all the way because you don't mind telling them you need to get out and you'll be leaving the plane as a party anyways.

Peccavi

I don't generally fly long enough that I'd need to use the restroom, so I prefer the window seat where I can just lay my head against the wall and sleep without anyone bothering me.

Worst is obviously middle.

Dsyndrome

Seeing as how I don't get up during flights and sleep during most of them, aisle would be the worst. Fact. Window all the way.

Xe4

Banned
Nah, window seat is the best. Mostly because I love looking out of the window. I very rarEly need to get up ~once per flight, so that's not an issue, and flagging down flight attendants is pretty rare for me too.

Also, I don't mind cramped spaces, in fact I prefer them.

RMI

Banned
The few times I've had to bother my neighbors to get out from a window seat do not outweigh the benefits of the window seat for me. I like being able to lean against the side.

Last couple of flights have been as a family with an infant so now flying is just basically hell for me. I used to look forward to long plane rides as a way to catch up with some reading or a handheld game, but no longer. Plus I get stuck with the middle seat so my wife can take the window.

CREMSteve

When I was younger I used to think window seats are where it's at. I loved looking out the window and seeing the world.

Well, the world isn't doing it for me anymore, and I'm cranky and old. Aisle seats are now the way.

Pros:

- You can get up and not have to ask other people to excuse you
- First one up and out when the flight lands, which also means first access to the bins
- Massively reduced claustrophobia
- Not as much social overhead with people
- Easy to flag down flight attendants

Cons:

- Occasionally get bumped/crop-dusted on by people and carts going down the aisle
- Can't see shit out the windows

Surely everyone will be in 100% agreement with me on this.
You also have to get up every time someone else has to go to the bathroom or stretch their damn legs.

I don't get up on flights, so windows are the best for me. I can settle in, fall asleep and not be bothered from start to finish.

Sunster

As a frequent flyer, aisle seats are easily the worst. On a lot of planes, you will get noticeable less foot space (sometimes half the space even) and constantly get smacked by the food cart or the flight attendants.

Edit: special screw you to the couples that book one seat in the window, and the other the aisle seat in the same row and spend the whole flight talking to each other through you and passing shit to each other while you ride middle seat.

me. 13 hour flight from Canada to China. this exact situation...

Window seats were novel when I first started flying, but yeah, aisle seats are clearly top tier. Easier to go to the washroom, and stretch out your leg with the extra bit of space

For international flights I prefer aisle seats but for domestic, I'm still a window guy. I rarely need to get up during a flight, and I don't want to get up for others.

I always sit in the window seat on dozens of 14 hour flights in my lifetime and it has always been good. Never a need to get up or anything, just sit there.

Biske

It's true, as much as I love the dreamy window seat, the mastery and control of the aisle is king.

Not having to ask anyone to move so you can get up, is fantastic.

Ideal seat is the very back of the plane, aisle seat. No bullshit, some relative peace.

I always get hit in the back of the head when I take an aisle seat. If I sit on a window seat on a Boeing, I always hit my head on the cargo bins. tallpeopleproblems.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Depends on plane time of day and duration of flight. Two hours? No doubt. Nine hour redeye? Windows can be leaned against, aisles cannot. Middle is never an option unless traveling as couple with small child in which case non bulkhead rows allow you to lift armests and form a couch. Row six on Alaska can also make sense if next best is too far back.

Also seatguru.com is your friend. Details people, details!

linkboy

As someone who suffers from Restless Leg Syndrome (fuck RLS, seriously, fuck you RLS), I need the aisle seat. If I don't get up to walk every once in a while. my legs will drive me crazy.

Windows are better on longer flights because you can lean on the side to sleep.

Aisle is better on shorter flights because you can drink as many liquids as you want and pee as much as you need to.

Hazmat

I always want the window. I never get up to use the bathroom and I don't want to get up twice every time someone else wants to. I really don't see any benefit to getting to the overhead bin first as you still have to wait for everyone ahead of you.

Helznicht

giphy-7.gif

But the fucking worst is the aisle death machines:
Laying Waste to Shoulders Elbows and Knees. Never fails just when I drift off to sleep, destroyed.

cabin-crew-with-a-light-snack-snacks-food-drinks-trolley-cart-on-a-FB1JM8.jpg

24105753.JPG

klm-stewardess-pushing-a-cart-through-an-airplane-CXCFRR.jpg

And the aisle is still the best seat.

MGrant

I fly from Asia to the US a lot, and it's all about that economy-plus aisle. Anything else is fucking prison. Okay, I know I could fly business class, but I don't have 3-5 grand for a single flight.

Sir Doom

I graduated from Window to Aisle
Stretch your leg and get up when ever you like.

90% of the time all you see are clouds

realwords

As a 6'5 dude.

Nah. Had a flight from Texas to Cali this morning, sat in the back aisle. Quite possibly one of the worst flight experiences I've ever had.

Chumley

Banned
Aisle seats for international flights are the best because 90 percent of the time there's nothing to see out the window besides clouds or darkness.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
When I was a kid I always wanted the window, but now planes give me a Pavlovian response to pee early and often. It could also be my need to drink as much water as possible on planes in order to fight me feeling like crap afterwards. So I need to be able to get up and walk around as much as possible.

Zaphrynn

Aisle seats for international flights are the best because 90 percent of the time there's nothing to see out the window besides clouds or darkness.

Or amazing ice sheets as you fly over places further north!

I'll always favor window. I can nestle up against the wall, I can watch takeoff and landing (flown a ton, still amazes me), I love seeing the clouds, love seeing the ocean, love seeing random shit. I keep bathroom visits to a minimum, and don't have to worry about napping or whatever because someone else has to take a piss. Window 4evah.

Ketch

Fuck that aisle seats suck ass.

Last thing I want to do on any flight is be on a flight.

Window seat lets you: close window, turn off overhead light, put in headphones, lean into the wall, eyes closed, engage happy place. Zero interruptions.

Aisle seats are for the chumps that think getting off the plane first matters. Have fun rushing to get nowhere, talking to the flight attendants and getting up every 30 minutes. See you at the baggage claim Suckers.

aparisi2274

When I was younger I used to think window seats are where it's at. I loved looking out the window and seeing the world.

Well, the world isn't doing it for me anymore, and I'm cranky and old. Aisle seats are now the way.

Pros:

- You can get up and not have to ask other people to excuse you
- First one up and out when the flight lands, which also means first access to the bins
- Massively reduced claustrophobia
- Not as much social overhead with people
- Easy to flag down flight attendants

Cons:

- Occasionally get bumped/crop-dusted on by people and carts going down the aisle
- Can't see shit out the windows

Surely everyone will be in 100% agreement with me on this.

Add this to the Pro Section:

you can raise the arm rest on the aisle seat to give you even more room to get in and out of your seat...

armrest-e1295244727156.jpg

The Hidden level to raise the armrest on aisle seats

wndow seats are awesome.

not having to move for other peeps.

protip: ask one of them to change seats.

Love the window. I just sit down, kind of shrug myself into the smallest size I can be (which isn't very small, as a big dude), and then lean against the window or headrest and pass out.

I don't get up, I don't bother anyone, and no one bothers me. It's great, if uncomfortable (as all air travel inherently is).

DMONKUMA

Depends, aisle seats are my go to when I'm on longer flights as don't want to go over two people when I need to use the restroom, especially if I know I'm gonna use it frequently. Windows are great since I not only got the view but I can lean on the wall instead of the person next to me.

Top Bottom