• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

Chitown B

It was just too early. People weren't ready for it. Maybe next gen.

weren't ready to share all their games instantly? Everyone uses Netflix and Hulu now. Everything is digital.

Now we have to wait 10 years for it? Think about how long that is. Think about where you were technologically in 2003. I'll bet everyone here had a dumb phone.

hawk2025

This never, ever existed.

It was a kneejerk reaction to the backlash by Microsoft without proper planning, that made absolutely no economic sense to them or the publishers once they actually sat down and started working out the details.

The family sharing plan was, and will always be a ridiculous myth that MS execs couldn't even explain properly.

border

They were completely vague and noncommital about Family Share.

It was only the "best new feature" because you imagined it to be this free games magicland where you got to play AAA titles as soon as they were released for free. There is not a chance in hell that publishers would have ever stood for that sort of thing, and if actually implemented Game Sharing would have been pretty restricted.

The reason they dropped the DRM was probably because they sat down at a table to discuss Family Sharing and realized, "Yeah, there's no way this is going to work." And since Family Sharing was really the only customer-friendly conceivable justification for the DRM, they might as well dump the DRM and the Sharing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
:shrugs It's MS decision to keep taking the all-or-nothing route with their policies. There should be a way to do both, but they don't seem all that interested in how to have a true dialog with their customers, they just seem interested in doing what's necessary to save face.

Tripolygon

Banned
This feature could still be implemented and i'll tell you how.

1. When you Get PS+ and download a free game, the game has a time lot attached to it and after that time expires you have to connect to the internet to reactivate it. In this same vein when you Share a game to someone online, there would be a 1 hr time lot attached to it. Said person has to check in hourly to continue playing that game or heck make it so you need internet to play that shared game while everything else stays the same.

2. Also similar to PS+ full game demo time limit.

It didn't have to be either or.

iammeiam

:( :'( Damn.

So will all game still be available through download? I would really like to have titles bound to the account somehow. For convenience and such.

The shit part is that the old way would have allowed you to buy games on clearance at retail (or buy CEs or whatever with physical goodies) and still have a digital copy--have actual sales and stuff on 'digital' games that didn't have to be on the official Xbox store. But now not so much.

This never, ever existed.

It was a kneejerk reaction to the backlash by Microsoft without proper planning, that made absolutely no economic sense to them or the publishers once they actually sat down and started working out the details.

The family sharing plan was, and will always be a ridiculous myth that MS execs couldn't even explain properly.

They were completely vague and noncommital about Family Share.

It was only the "best new feature" because you imagined it to be this free games magicland where you got to play AAA titles as soon as they were released for free. There is not a chance in hell that publishers would have ever stood for that sort of thing, and if actually implemented Game Sharing would have been pretty restricted.

One-two punch.

This bleating about the "future" and how gamers hate "innovation" is absurd. It was meaningless PR speak. It would have been forgotten as quickly as the two HDMI ports on the back of the PS3.

This was such a cool feature. I'm actually disappointed at the gaming community for being stuck in it's old ways and refusing to move towards the future. Now we're just stuck with a more powerful version of what we have today, just like the PS4.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that MS at least listened to gamers and I'm glad that you can play games offline now, but this family sharing feature was HUGE and SUPER INNOVATIVE.

I hope gamers have learned a lesson. Sometimes you have to give a little to get something. I hoe you guys are happy, we just took a step backwards in this regard.

Gowans

It's sad they didn't keep it for DD.

It also have a massive impact on the UI.

No flicking between all your games library, no matchmaking in one game while playing another?

Must be loads more and a lot of UI work to be done, the whole system was invested in with the fact all the games were always available.

parasight

The shit part is that the old way would have allowed you to buy games on clearance at retail (or buy CEs or whatever with physical goodies) and still have a digital copy--have actual sales and stuff on 'digital' games that didn't have to be on the official Xbox store. But now not so much.

So much this. Now we're back to relying on XBOX Live Marketplace to have good sales (LOL yeah right).

StuBurns

Banned
I'd have loved to listen to some of those inevitable Publishers phone calls to Microsoft. I bet they went a little similar to what you wrote.

"Pathetic, it's just a big fuck you to publishers. You had to give people something, but no, fuck off, you begged for DRM, then you gave 9 copies away."
That's an interesting point, maybe publishers won't allow this and that, I guess we'll see, Sony basically has this already, you can have one account activated on two PS3s at any time (and not activated on as many as you want). Maybe they'll have removed that.

Meier

no need for the disk after the game was linked to your account was actually pretty cool and now they are both gone.

They'd be smart to work with retailers to create a system where you could download the game onto a thumb drive or something at Gamestop and then have it be locked to an account it is installed to so people who don't have the bandwidth to download a 20-50 GB game but still want it digitally can go that route.

Amir0x

Banned
Welcome to the future of sharing guys!

wp_20130619_0035tp5z.png

ah man I am so swimming in these tears right now. It's utterly delightful

Rhindle

I hope they reintroduce a system that implements many of their announced features sometime after launch, at least for DD retail titles.

My guess is that they will start pushing incentives for everyone (publishers and consumers) to move to DD only. That was the end-goal anyway - just do it with more with a carrot than a stick.

weren't ready to share all their games instantly? Everyone uses Netflix and Hulu now. Everything is digital.

Now we have to wait 10 years for it? Think about how long that is. Think about where you were technologically in 2003. I'll bet everyone here had a dumb phone.

Look at the backlash. Look at Sony's crazy amount of applause at e3 when they noticed they're not doing it. Look at Sony using it on mainstream tv on Jimmy Fallon. People weren't ready.

Kalren

There is no reason they can't implement the family sharing for those to enroll in it. Even setting up a Register/deregister system for Disc based games could allow for it still.

But in my opinion, the games library sharing would have had a lot of caveats and loops that we were not given the details to and would not have known till launch. And at that point we would have realized MS was trying to pull another fast one on consumers

This is the one feature I actually liked from Microsoft's DRM polices. But eh, it's a trade off. I'd rather have no 24 hour checks and non-restricted reselling/ trading/ borrowing than the 10 person family plan. We can't have both, I guess.

This thing was suppose to get match making in one game, while playing another. NO disk in tray needed, Family sharing. ALL GONE.

mainly from people going on the internet 24/7 complaining about not having internet.

This was a HUGE step backwards.

jond76

Banned
I really liked the idea of instant switching too. That seemed pretty baked in. I suppose that digital titles will support the switching. I feel for the OS programmers that have to jump through hoops now.

if they want to provide an incentive for going digital, why not just have the lending stuff work for downloaded games, and not disc games? Obviously at that point it is tied to an account, and exists "in the cloud" or whatever, like current Games on Demand games.

Also, you would no longer need the 24hr check (though obviously, no one could access your shared library either, but you could play games offline), because you don't have to account for the "I sold my disc, and never logged in, so I can still play the game". Since obviously you can't resell a file on your hard drive. Seems like that would be the best of both worlds, and would make me lean towards buying games from Xbox Live instead.

keyrat

They could have kept it with the stipulation that you had to be online to play a game you've shared or received as a share, but considering how sudden this is it probably means this patch thing was/is being rushed to make sure all the core gamers don't tell their friends not to buy an xbone.

8bits

Banned
Look at the backlash. Look at Sony's crazy amount of applause at e3 when they noticed they're not doing it. Look at Sony using it on mainstream tv on Jimmy Fallon. People weren't ready.

Just like people aren't ready to purchase music, books, tv shows and movies on iTunes? People weren't ready because of fear of change and/or ignorance.

This is such bullshit. The sharing and lending feature wasn't even available at launch, by their own small print. Add to that, we have no idea what restrictions would have been placed, and whichever dolt made this has cleverly forgot to include the fact that the people sharing have to download the game first to be able to play it. Given the expected sizes of next gen games, that doesn't sound too fun.

I thought it was said that only one of the 11 people on the sharing model would be able to play the game at a time. That is, you couldn't share Halo 5 with 10 friends and all go play online or whatever. And if that was just a "rumour", you can bet your ass there would have been something like that -- similar to the possible Steam sharing feature.

RIP Xbox One

Welcome Xbox 361

I guess I should cancel all my Xbox One game pre-orders too, since they will no longer tie to my account and be playable without the discs.

I really wish MS would have done both methods. You have the traditional with what you have now, but if you wanted to, you could register and deregister a disc and in the process would gain access to family share, not needing to swap discs and so forth. That would remain in effect until you deregistered the disc.

Hotsuma

Is there anyway they could make the Family Sharing features something they can tie to Xbox Live Gold? That way people can have a choice in the matter? I actually was interested in the sharing features...

remember when sony made that video "this is how you share games on PS4?" I was hoping that MS would fire back and say "this is how you share games on Xbox One" and show two duds sitting on couches on other sides of the world saying "hey, you wanna play Titanfall?" and then the other guy downloads it and just plays it.

Really you guys are stuck in the past.

entremet

I really wish MS would have done both methods. You have the traditional with what you have now, but if you wanted to, you could register and deregister a disc and in the process would gain access to family share, not needing to swap discs and so forth. That would remain in effect until you deregistered the disc.
Yeah. This sucks.

Alx

It's no surprise that removing DRM would also mean losing other features. They were trying to strike a complex balance between pros and cons for publishers, retailers etc, so if you remove something, you remove everything. Back to square one.

I'm really sad to see the sharing feature go. :(

muu

Disappointing. I'd like to hope the real impetus was the response of the armed forces, not the vocal internet crowd.

Yeah, MS was totally going to let 10 people split the cost of one game and all play with no restrictions. Damn you people are gullible

Meier

Netflix and Hulu aren't valid comparisons. People don't buy DVDs, etc. now because they can spend $10 a month to get the same shit they'd spend $20 on for a single copy. Guess what, I fucking love renting games and this was going to remove that ability so it's exactly the opposite of Hulu or Netflix. With those serves, you just have unlimited instant rentals.

If I could pay MS $10 a month and never have to buy another game I'd have been fucking thrilled to have their new shitty policies.

MDX

Maybe people should have really thought this through
before pressuring MS to change their stance.

Its not like every console was offering the restrictions.
Imagine you could have two consoles. One where you can
save money and share the games, the other where you could
keep physical media to trade with.

Spasm

My thoughts exactly. This was pretty much Bone's only advantage over the PS4. It was more secure for devs, and it gave users muc greater flexibility in accessing/sharing their content. Now that it's dead, the Bone is no different (except being less powerful) than PS4.

Now I can't install all my games, and play them without the disc.
Now I can't access all my games from whatever Bone I'm logged into.
Now I can't digitally share my library with my friends, and they can't share theirs.

To whomever helped to effect the changes in policy above, fuck you.

To MS, for not adequately communicating the advantages of these forward-thinking policies, having such a muddied message in the first place, and for spinelessly giving in to pressure, not even trying to come up with a compromise, triple-fuck you.

Edit: I dub thee, Xbox One, to be forever called... Xbox 180.

Top Bottom