• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((
Since Fhiess and Galen don't seem like the types to pile on, and since I actually have time to respond right now, I'm going to go ahead and address what's been said.
How can you be so sure? Don't you know Galen- yeah, that's about why he didn't address this first. So scary.

I figure Sagishi would speak before Galen anyway, so if he says anything, it'll have to be after that. He did find Ludwig's beratement of Thosar's willingness to bring a ticking time bomb along with them a bit amusing, though.))

Nezumi

Sagishi grows angrier and angrier as Keranos keeps talking. The problem isn't that the boy is reckless and overly confident, while highly irritating at times those are still things that Sagishi is able to shrug off easily, but that he is so arrogant that he is unable to own up to his mistakes and worse has the audacity to just assume Sagishi's failure in order to justify his wrong doings, that is enough to piss of even Sagishi, who, just as Keranos, takes a certain pride in his abilities.

Keranos hasn't entirely finished his "speech" before Sagishi has risen from his position, now looking human again. He closes in on the boy his eyes sparkling with anger.

The first words out of his mouth are a string of Nihaanese, that even to those not capable of the language can't be mistaken for anything else but insults.
Those with knowledge of the language would hear Sagishi suggest a rather wide variety of animals in Keranos' ancestry and a speculation whether the storms he claims to be God of are nothing more than flatulence.

When he switches back to common, his voice is dripping with venom. "You know, when I first met you I thought your claim was amusing and who knew, you do have some magic tricks up your sleeve so maybe there was even some truth to it. But the longer I know you I can only come to the conclusion, that you are nothing more than a little boy that let the fact that he can do some flashy tricks get to his head just a bit too much.

"I have to admit that I'm not much of a religious person but even I can see that someone that isn't able to look any further than his skinny chicken breast can be know God. How should someone so self-righteous and narcissistic inspire people? Anyone who follows you must be mad or regard their own life very little."

He stops as he seems to remember something

"Back in Nodoff, there was this old guy. He would stand on a box at some corner or another, telling everyone who'd stop and listen about how some higher power had granted him eternal wisdom or some such thing. The man was clearly crazy, but still if I had to choose, I'd probably follow him instead of you."

He barks a snarky laughter and he sounds even more malicious when he continues.

"Maybe you should get yourself a box, too. I bet this way people might at least give you some coin now and then." Sagishi's eyes flash up for a moment as he says those last words.

He rummages in his pocket and retrieves a coin and snips it at the boy hitting him square on the forehead where it sticks for a moment before falling to the ground.

((Sagishi also just hit Keranos with a charm person DC 14. If he fails his save, he'll actively start looking for a box to ramble nonsense from for an hour.))

Save vs Charm Person: [12] + 5 = 17

As Sagishi begins his rant, Keranos focuses his mind on the ancient tongue he's using so he can decipher it ((casting Comprehend Languages)).

His eyes widen in surprise at the playground insults being hurled at him.

As the rogue continues to trash talk him in easier to understand words, Keranos can't help but let a tiny smile slip. He had been fearing a long, drawn-out debate against all five of his companions, but after this outburst, he has essentially already won.

He lets Sagishi finish uninterrupted. Before Keranos is able to react, the fox-man has hurled a coin at his head and attempted to influence him with magic.

His smile flickers, and then it looks like it's plastered on to his face.

When Sagishi is done, Keranos speaks. His tone is level and unemotional. "I'm glad you got that out of your system. Let's go. And Sagishi? If you ever intentionally assault me again, with magic or otherwise, believe me when I tell you, in no uncertain terms, that one of us will not survive the day."

He moves to help hook the horses up to the rail carts.

Nezumi

At Keranos' threat Sagishi's smile returns. It isn't a friendly one but it is clear that the thief has returned to his usual unfazed self. "Don't worry, I was simply curious to see how thick that overblown head really is. And I must say I'm impressed. There are probably brick walls out there with more sense."

He turns around looking for something useful to do until the party is ready to move on.

Mike M

Nick N
The sparks of the clash of personalities seeming to have died on the stone ground, the party continues onward with the horses hauling the rail sledges. The rail system seems to still be in exceptionally good shape in spite of their apparent centuries of disuse, as it doesn’t take much effort for the horses to overcome the friction of the bearings and send the flat-bottomed cars gliding through the darkness.

For days, there is nothing but the darkness that surrounds them, the rail before them leading ever onward on its unerringly straight path through the depths of the earth. The gifts of the haversack keep everyone fed and watered--it seems to have also accounted for the needs of the horses, producing more canteens of water and apples than usual. Conversations rarely raise above a whisper, owing both to the fact that the belly of the earth is preternaturally silent, and that there is an inescapable feeling that something lurks in the darkness, always lurking just beyond the radius of lantern lights.

Eventually, the horses’ unending endurance starts to flag, and it becomes obvious that the tunnel is now running at a slight, but noticeable incline, accompanied by a perceptible drop in temperature. By the time the darkness sparkles with the light of the lantern refracted through miniscule crystals of ice and the horses’ hooves crunch through the hoarfrost underfoot, everyone has long since donned their winter gear.

A distant pinprick of light appears on the abyssal horizon, and over the course of the day’s travel it resolves into an archway at the end of their long travels. On the other side of the archway is a mechanical graveyard; rails run along in every direction, with circular sections every so many meters would appear to allow the rails to rotate between different orientations, if only they weren’t frozen in place. Great, articulated metal arms are likewise stopped, as though in the middle of reaching for the long-vanished load of a rail sledge before it.

The area is encased in a dome formed of a latticework of metal that probably at one point contained glass panes, but have since been replaced by glacial ice, great stalactites and stalagmites of which punctuate the area. The light filtering through it is gray and bitterly cold.

The openings that lead into the dome from the exterior are likewise consumed by the ice; While they were clearly once many rail-sledges wide and dozens of feet tall, the course of nature has encroached on their margins, leaving apertures only a fraction of their original size, though large enough for a large-sized creature to fit through without trouble.

The wind howls through the landscape beyond the dome. Great black metal pylons rise in what appears to be a grid from a canyon system of glacier ice. Some are broken off at the shaft, some grasp great crystal orbs, and others hold only empty air, and all of them are covered in great horizontal icicles on the leeward sides.

A relatively gentle slope leads down from the dome into the ice canyons, at the base of which towers a statue with its hand stretched outward over the arctic wasteland as though claiming it for its own.

The figure depicted by the statue is, unambiguously and unmistakably, a tiefling.

A wild roll appears
2, 12

During the long, quiet ride through the dark, Thosar examines the map given him by the thugs at the gate. He makes a note of any landmarks and topographical features to be found and scribbles a couple copies of it for the others. The drawings are workmanlike and lack any flourishes that fancier maps would contain. Aside from this, he largely keeps to himself, trying as best he can to try to regain the flashes of foresight given by his dreams. It is not until the cold begins to creep into the air around the party that they return, as if the earth around him swallowed a connection to the wider world.

The veranda he finds himself in is surrounded by lush garden. The green of life suffuses every bush and tree and the sunlight above is almost blinding in its radiance. Around him are partygoers of all types. Some are finely dressed, others stand naked but for the opulent jewels adorning them. They are all speaking to each other in tongues he does not understand, but glance in turn as he passes by, noting his presence before returning to the conversation. The only thing lacking among the party is food. Its absence is apparently of no concern to the guests as the continue their activities.

After some time of wandering, he hears a reverberating gong. Turning to see its source, he notices a tall, gaunt figure. Its flesh is pale and peeling, like a walking corpse but for the eyes. An aura of shadow surrounds and expands out from the creature as it walks towards him, the other guests turning to stare at the thing's focus. They all move to walk in formation behind it, forming a delta while it continues its march towards him.

He turns to run, but cannot. The ground beneath his feet has sprouted limbs made of pure darkness. Black things sweep over his legs and climb his body to wrap around his arms. They hold him completely still as the thing draws near. As its face comes in close to his own, he can feel its arctic breath forming icicles on his nose and ears.

Thosar awakes to find the party nearing a light at the end of the tunnel. Thankful to see natural light again, he pulls his coat and cloak fast and gazes at their surroundings in wonder. "Well, gentlemen, welcome to the edge of the known world. If only it were so damnably cold." Before leaving the great dome, he attempts to find some signs of historical value or relevance to the party's quest. Once outside, as they approach the statue below, he takes some time gazing at it and any writings it holds.

search inside: 1D20+7+1D4 = [9]+7+[3] = 19
history: 1D20+10+1D4 = [7]+10+[1] = 18
search around statue: 1D20+10+1D4 = [2]+10+[1] = 13

The trip through the mines riding in a cart where they cannot see forward very far begins to instill strange concerns for the elf. He starts to mutter, "E-everyone.. I keep having a feeling of deja vu, like we've been in a similar cart in a place like this before and something bad had happened as we rode it." He doesn't know why he has this feeling. He's never been in a mine cart, much less in a mine, before. Soon his worries begin to turn to legitimate shivers while the temperature continues to drop.

The gradual introduction of the expanding world of machines, their liveliness never to be known in ruin, catches his gaze after a series of darkness after darkness during the day's trip. Just the metal beams fixed on pulleys and gears is a remarkable sight on its own, but it is the statue of an unknown figure that stands out the most, being the least expected element of the scene.

Fhiess hops out and moves to take a closer look. He had already seen the parade of the tieflings and had learned that there was more to Telmur's history than what was being taught, thanks to Professor Scalid's findings.

Knowledge: History
Rolling 1d20 + 4
( 15 ) + 4 = 19

((Well, that went quickly.

Anyway, I've been thinking today that I should make sure to specify that Galen will want to take watch on the same shift as Keranos. I figure it would be safe to assume there is a watch schedule, yes?

He wants to
have a chat

Oh, and Galen definitely needs an owl now.

He doesn't need an owl.
))

The moment they pass through the archway and the miracle of daylight washes over him, Keranos leaps from the cart and spreads his arms wide, pointing his fingers to the sky.

"YES! At long last, the wide open SKY!"

He starts spinning leisurely and careening from side to side. Thunder and lightning rumble and strike in the sky, creating a rhythm that the god of storms is happy to dance to.

"Oh how I've missed you!" he exalts. "I've forgotten the feeling of the cool, crisp air on my face!"

He drops to the ground, lying on his back and taking in a great big breath. He folds his hands behind his head and stares at the sky, wearing a big, dopey smile.

((Galen can feel free to approach if he'd like, or we can wait until the next watch schedule. I made this post before I saw Galen's most recent))

Mike M

Nick N
((Presumably there were watch rotations during the trip, but obviously, nothing of significance occurred))

In exploring the contents of the dome, the party does not find anything that seems immediately important. Some of the machinery is clearly missing, be it one of the articulated arms missing its grasping claws at its end, or a set of bolt holes bordering an empty square where the entire apparatus has vanished. There is a notable lack of any signs of animal visitation to this area.

The statue outside doesn't yield much either. The snow and ice come up to the sizable figure's shins, concealing whatever plinth it might be set upon that would probably contain any sort of inscriptions or plaques detailing its purpose. One point of interest is that your timepieces indicate that it is well into the evening, but the world is still illuminated by the sun, diminished as it is through the gray clouds overhead.

In comparing the map to their surroundings, Thosar quickly comes to the realization that the map is indeed very old. It depicts something like an enormous quarry, and he quickly deduces that the lines crisscrossing the space represent the rail lines that all terminate in the dome. Likewise, the mysterious pylons are represented by an even grid of marks on the parchment, though their purpose is still none the clearer. The topography of the ice canyons that exist today seems to have no correlation to the landscape the map depicts, however. Beyond the quarry/canyon system is what might be the representation of rails or some other kind of roads leading to smaller outposts scattered across the ice cap.

Nothing in anyone's knowledge of history comes to mind in any of this.

Eventually, not long after Thosar and Fhiess wind down their investigation into the area, the biting cold of the snowscape motivates Keranos to stand up. His mood is no less cheerful for it.

"Well, gentlemen. The hour is late, and this dome seems at least more secure than anything else I can see nearby, so what say we rest our heads here for the evening? I'll gladly take first watch; I'd like to admire the open sky for a bit longer before I sleep."

He assists with setting up the sleeping arrangements, and then finds a sturdy pylon to lean against, clearing out enough snow to give himself a place to sit.

((In case it's needed, perception for first watch: [19] + 5 = 24

<If Galen is taking watch to talk with Keranos, it might make sense that Fhiess would chat with Sagishi about what had been going on in a separate shift.>

Nezumi

((That's fine with me. I was away all weekend and didn't have time to write something, but I'll make a post once I'm home later in the day.))

((
Presumably there were watch rotations during the trip, but obviously, nothing of significance occurred
Okay. If possible, Galen would probably have tried to have the watch talk with Keranos then. If not, he'll try for this rotation. It works the same either way, so it won't really matter which.

Perception for watch:
[3]+6=9

There is a notable lack of any signs of animal visitation to this area.
This might call for an Insight check. Let's see...

[11]+6=17

I think those rolls might actually make some amount of sense!

If Galen is taking watch to talk with Keranos, it might make sense that Fhiess would chat with Sagishi about what had been going on in a separate shift.
I could see that, so yeah, it might make sense. Could make for an interesting night.

It may also be possible for Sagishi to play with longbows now.))

((Thosar will be asleep During the watch of this pairs already mentioned. He'll be awake for the rest of the night with whomever watches with him.
perception : 1D20+5 = [11]+5 = 16 ))

As the party settles for the evening, Thosar takes his usual short trance during the night. He makes little mention of the unsettling dream before entering this wasteland. Much of his time is spent pondering the area and looking through his notes to try to garner what knowledge he can and write down observations. The prolonged days, the chill, and the unearthly solitude of the far north.

nature: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8

Little comes to mind, however. The scholar's expansive library of knowledge is rather limited when it comes to climes beyond the mountains. Who knew arctic survival and geography would have actually been useful to a ruin crawling Archaeologist?

((My plans for a Ludwig post were foiled by the lack of pictures containing giraffes in winter wear. Ludwig doesn't see the need to hold a super secret meeting with anyone, so he'll just take watch normally.))

Ludwig walks along with the party, marveling at the dilapidated machinery around him. The nature of the parts is well beyond his knowledge, so he is content to simply look in wonder.

As the temperature gets colder, Ludwig, used to a warmer climate, is among the first to don his winter clothes. A j'raffa shaped parka makes for an unusual sight, but it serves its purpose well enough.

Eventually, it is time for the party to call it a night. Ludwig helps with getting a fire going, and has a less than fun time clearing away enough snow to make a suitably large area for him to sleep in. He is not picky about when he takes watch, so he'll fit in whatever slot the others have not taken.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=182110]Perception: 1D20 + 4 = [18]+4 = 22
[/url]

((
Ludwig helps with getting a fire going, and has a less than fun time clearing away enough snow
No need to struggle on that. We've got a shovel. That's sure to help.
to make a suitably large area for him to sleep in.
And we should have a yurt as well, right?

Sorry I took so long with this post. This is my first real chance to actually type it up since... well, my last post.))

Galen walks over to Keranos' side, drawing his cloak about himself to help ward off the cold. His walking stick digs into the snow in tandem with his stride, making an extra set of indentations along with his footprints.

If Keranos is seated or reclined, Galen crouches down next to him, but he otherwise remains standing.

"It is good to breathe such fresh air again, isn't it?" he asks, his gaze wandering their surroundings. He already knows the answer, though, and continues. "A still night like this, it may provide some measure of calm after the political turmoils we've seen in Forgerun. Perhaps this respite will do well towards cooling our heads and tending toward our wounds".

"Yes, certainly," says Keranos. "A part of me wishes that we could have stayed around long enough to lop the head off of the organization of criminals who kidnapped Peaseblossom, but since that was not practical, I am glad to at least be out in the fresh air again."

He draws in a deep breath, and releases it while making an "Ahhhh" sound, smiling peacefully.

"How are you doing with all this?" he asks Galen, genuinely curious. "This past week has been quite a whirlwind."

"It has indeed." Galen closes his eyes for a couple moments before continuing.

"To think we've come this far, and yet our journey has only just begun, so one can hope. We've overcome a couple small hurdles already, but I must admit, it troubles me some the tension in the group lately." He looks at Keranos, adding "Now, I cannot condemn the intent in your actions, just as I cannot Sagishi's; both were born of a desire for good, ill-planned as either may have been. The consequences for past actions are already earned, and will be dealt with in due time, but the manner in which we deal with the immediate fallout is important. If we are to be able to work together as a group, we need to act as one. You and Sagishi seem to have been at odds, and I think it would do well for you to try to smooth that out."

Keranos looks at Galen silently for a long time. His smile half-fades, but doesn't go away completely, as he mulls over what the ranger said.

"What would you suggest?" he finally asks, and his tone is sincere, if guarded. "I still do not regret what I did. I don't consider it ill-planned; contrary to appearances, it was not a spur-of-the-moment decision. In fact I think I planned it very well. I weighed the possible consequences well ahead of time, and came to the conclusion that it was the most morally correct path, true to my own personal values. I did apologize to Sagishi for physically harming him, for it was not my intention to do so, but if he heard me then he did not seem to care."

He pauses to look away, and then looks at Galen again. "So tell me, Galen. If I believe in my heart of hearts that I did the right thing, and Sagishi's disagreement is strong enough to bear lasting resentment toward me, how should I go about resolving it without compromising my own moral compass?"

"Yes," Galen responds, "I very well understand why you acted as you did, as well as your desire to bring down this Kin. We may face greater struggles returning through the city, and we may have to break Barrow out of prison, but it cannot be denied that your intent was sound, nor can it be rightly claimed that you actually intended harm upon any of your companions. This is not in itself, however, what I refer to."

Galen sighs. "You and Sagishi were at odds even before this event. Do you not remember immediately after the defeat of Oliff's champion, how you were pointing fingers at each other then? I would think this isn't just about your destruction of the glurg. That was simply an outlet for whatever frustration there may be.

"In order to take care of this matter, than, it would seem you must first determine the underlying cause of the issue, rather than assume it to be based around this one point of contention. Sagishi himself may not have a complete understanding of it."

((
Gonna wait with my post until Keranos and Galen are done, so that things don't get too confusing.
I don't know that it would be that confusing. Their conversation is pretty separate from other goings-on, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep straight. I think you should be fine going ahead with your post if you want to.))

Keranos nods along. "I don't disagree with you," he says. "Truth be told, Sagishi often gets under my skin. He loves to play the part of the wise old sage who is above it all, and it's maddening to me."

Left unsaid is the belief that the rogue is forcefully occupying the role that Keranos fancied himself to fill. He is pretty sure that his millennia of experience, after all, dwarf how ever many years Sagishi holds under his belt.

"What you say makes sense. I fear that it may be futile to get the two of us to see eye to eye, but I will give the matter some thought. Thank you for your counsel, Galen."

Keranos spends most of the rest of his shift gazing at whatever stars might be visible through the cloud cover overhead.

((I'm good leaving our scene here, if Nezumi and KM want to take the stage))

Galen nods. "Some understanding certainly may help, even if you cannot agree."

As he steps away, he turns back toward Keranos. "If you ever feel the need to talk about anything, I'll be willing to listen."

((I'm fine with ending it there as well, as Galen hasn't anything any more substantial to add right now, so it'll be watch as usual.))

Nezumi

((Yeah, sorry, I wanted to but don't think I'll find the time. Go ahead and let Fhiess initiate the conversation. I won't be able to react before Sunday so if anyone else wants to do something else before that. Sorry.))

Using the last natural lighting of the night that he can, a painter applies the last strokes he desires to a canvas before taking his brushes to clean them with a bowl of distilled gelatinous ooze to destroy the paint between the bristles.

He looks at his work in progress picture of Lugwig fighting the robot.. a strange subject in hindsight, as it looks more well suited for a story book filled with action than a traditional painting.

After packing his things, he sees Sagishi awake for watch, and then remembers that he wanted to talk to him about what had been going on between him and Keranos. It is a difficult conversation to break into. He tries his best to start, "Uhm, Sagishi? I hope you don't mind me talking about what's been happening." Fhiess finds a place to sit down while finding his next thought, "Erm, well.. It's just that this is a very difficult place for both of us, knowing that you were nearly killed, but.. We also can't fight Keranos because of it."

He takes a moment to recall memories, "My father once said that during his adventuring days, if he was never forgiven for all of his misguided slights that put his friends in danger, that he would have no more friends and never been married. He claims that even in his older age that he still has much to do to mature and learn not to be so overbearing.. This is after he has had to accept that I became an artist and not a powerful Wizard." He chuckles, "I suppose I'm talking more about my family at this point. But Sagishi, I haven't been keeping the mindset of a hero as I should have, but I think as Endowed that our problems are greater and we'll always be in danger even from our mistakes. We have to keep that in mind."

"I won't try to interfere too much, but I hope that you can work out your differences with Keranos."

((For what it's worth, I consider campaigns like these to be collaborative novels anyway, and I'm sure that when it's all said and done, it'll be well over 50k words per person))

Nezumi

((Sorry guys, had hoped to write something before going on vacation but that didn't work out. I have about half of the post already typed out and will finish it up tonight!
Edit: and since we are already on the topic of November, how come I don't see any of your names on the lists of participants?))

Mike M

Nick N
((Sorry guys, had hoped to write something before going on vacation but that didn't work out. I have about half of the post already typed out and will finish it up tonight!
Edit: and since we are already on the topic of November, how come I don't see any of your names on the lists of participants?))

((If I do it before I complete a second draft of Einhorn, I'll never get it done.))

((Thinking about it, Galen and Fhiess can probably get along well enough to not kill each other. This is likely a good thing.

Maybe Sagishi falls down an ice ravine for the duration of November
Won't work too well. The party would just spend November getting him out. With ropes, grappling hooks, and block and tackle.

It would actually be funny to see how that is a month-long endeavor, though!

For what it's worth, I consider campaigns like these to be collaborative novels anyway, and I'm sure that when it's all said and done, it'll be well over 50k words per person
Wait here a moment while I write 50,000 words of extra backstory material for Galen in order to provide more fodder for the campaign to throw at the party, thereby increasing our collaborative output to that of at least a four-part hard-cover novel series. I'm sure I've got enough hooks to pull it off...

Are we going to run with the idea that Nyx opted to stay behind in Forgerun for some reason?

Sorry guys, had hoped to write something before going on vacation but that didn't work out. I have about half of the post already typed out and will finish it up tonight!
I'm sure the wait will be well worth it. And, really, I can't complain. I may not have been able to keep up the past couple days if the thread had taken off without me. Which brings me to...

and since we are already on the topic of November, how come I don't see any of your names on the lists of participants?
Probably because I haven't even entered the thread, on my part. I also forgot about Inktober until two days ago. I do plan to somehow conjure up the time to write, though, and know what I plan to do for November. You can probably expect me to pop in there by the end of the month.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Honestly anyone leaving without outright dying presents narrative issues, so my game plan is to kind of quietly retcon her existence away entirely.

In the meantime, I am having entirely too much fun with Hero Forge.))

((Honestly anyone leaving without outright dying presents narrative issues, so my game plan is to kind of quietly retcon her existence away entirely.

((Pshhh. Just give her a case of Herpes and send her on her way.

Or make her get horrifically experimented on by a robotic Doctor Moreau until her body gives out.

Easy peezy.

::pours a 40 for Ivor, Bones, Evaneth, Avalyra, Nico, Mako, and Sybil::))

<I went with the silently retconning approach when I DM'd too, that way if the player ever came back they can just jump back in with neither myself or the player having to explain what happened to them>

Nezumi

((In the case of Nyx I actually developed the habit of thinking that she is still around, just too fucking drunk to do anything meaningful.))

Nezumi

((Sooooo, I just checked and realized that I absentmindedly closed the tab I had open with my response which means that all I had written so far is gone... I'm gonna let you decide if you rather have me just write a short little response about why Sagishi doesn't like Keranos or wait until the Taifun hits on Monday and I have all the time I could wish for to properly rewrite and finish what I had planned.))

Mike M

Nick N
((And that's why I tore long posts up in Google docs : P

Let's go with the short response now, and if the opportunity for the unabridged version arrived, we can deal with it then.))

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((Happy to see you guys still going. Sorry to see the medium in this state. Hopefully catch most of you in another place!))

Top Bottom