• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil (Darksiders) hiring first person shooter developers

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
is this Strife fellow you guys are talking about a horseman? is he known for shooting?
Yes each Horseman has a class assigned to them

War is a Berserker

Death is an Assassin

Fury is a Sorceress

Strife is a Gunner
darksiders_strife_color_by_artofdpi-d4boikh.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Darksiders 3 will be better than Max Payne 3.

haha Imagine if it had the whole slow down time thing and a 3rd person/1st person mode on the fly swaping for combos.

Like Picture F.E.A.R you shoot shoot, slow down time, slide in, hold a lock on button or some shit to enter 3rd person mode do some combos pop them up and follow up then let go of 3rd person stance mid air shooting from first person view from the air and then finishing off with a kick off the body that lets you leap away from the combat.....

Damn now I want to go play bulletstorm again.

Honestly though I would love to see what they would do with Strifes game, another Metroid Prime style game wouldn't be to bad at all. Metroid prime with loot, talent pools, and leveling up? Sign me up :D

DieH@rd

Banned
FPS game with Strife? Count me in, even though I wanted to see game with Fury before Strife.

the-four-horsemen-dar0mbi8.jpg

Also, this may be related to their post-WH40K MMO project, you never know.

Khezu

What I would like is Strife and Fury to be the main characters of DS3, as neither are interesting enough to hold there own game. Have the game be concurrent with DS1 and 2, and have them try there hand at co-op as a test for the eventual DS4 which would be 4 player co-op, cause that would be awesome.

legend166

Oh so Strife is the main character for part 3? Darn I was hoping it was fury.

Not going to happen unless Darksiders 2 goes Omega bomba

Also their requirements sound like stuff for their Darksiders team

Uh, I feel like it's going to be the exact opposite. Unless Darksiders 2 is a huge hit, they won't make any more.

DieH@rd

Banned
Fury is more than enough interesting to have her own game. She's a sorceress with a whip, what more can you ask? :D

Hindle

Banned
I cant see it being Darksiders 3 if they want to do a 4 player co op game one day. Having two 3rd person characters and one in first person would be tough to do.

DieH@rd

Banned
I also don't think that Darksiders 3 will be FPS. Main Darksiders franchise will forever be 3rd person action/adventure/rpg.

Labadal

First Person Action RPG in fantasy setting. I'd be okay with that. Please, not a straight up shooter. (I don't hate shooters, I'm just not good at them.)

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's either for the WH40K project or Strife is the lead for Darksiders III. Or at least he's playable.

gabbre

Why demonize FPSs? FPSs can be great too, look at Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored. For a Darksiders 3 with Strife I'd prefer a game with Space Marine's mechanics.

El-Suave

"Pushing the genre forward" probably means co-op - the two horsemen that are left might both be in the next game if there is one. At least they could wrap up the story that way.
If the characters have vastly different abilities they could also check another buzzword of the list and call the gameplay asymmetrical.

DieH@rd

Banned
Why demonize FPSs? FPSs can be great too, look at Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored. For a Darksiders 3 with Strife I'd prefer a game with Space Marine's mechanics.

Space Marine has one of the best mixes or ranged combat and melee battles of currentgen videogame space. But i dont know how will they move that into FPS game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Vigil on Darksiders 3:

Reduced scope...sounds like an FPS to me.

:D

Metroid style would be considered reduced scope :p

Fury has a whip, good luck with that Vigil.

I could make up 25+ attacks involving a whip on the spot right now it's not hard. Specially when it's high fantasy and we know the character is a mage type. They already said from scratch they designed all the characters with enough potential and ability to all star in their own games

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
To people complaining about Rubin, he's been bragging about playing an early build of Darksiders 2 for the last week or so, so I wouldn't worry about that. At the most, maybe he wants them to take a break from Darksiders and try something different. Hopefully that isn't just another generic FPS and is something a little more different like Bulletstorm

DieH@rd

Banned
Reduced scope...sounds like an FPS to me.
:D

Well no. Darksiders II is waaaay larger game than original Darksiders. Much larger landmass, longer main campaign, full loot system, sidequests, optimization of the NG+ gameplay, etc.

If they reduce landmass and gameplay time of Darksiders III to be only half of the Darksiders II, we will still get a massive massive game. And that would be fine with me. IMHO, they added every single thing that i wanted into DS2, and in some cases even more.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Already planning for Darksiders 2 commercially under-performing :x

It's going against Sleeping Dogs on launch day. Not exactly friendly competition.

But it did well against Bayonetta, it could do well here too.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's going against Sleeping Dogs on launch day. Not exactly friendly competition.

But it did well against Bayonetta, it could do well here too.

I'm not sure if it will have huge upfront sales, but I'm god damn sure word of mouth will give it legs

*On the beach*
"Look, see that small patch of sand over there!"
"Not really, there's sand everywhere, for miles and miles"
"No, that one right there, yeah ... that's our patch of sand. I hope people like it"

Another FPS in this market is idiotic when Darksiders hasn't done "great" (not bad, but not great in comparison to many other titles) and most likely it will be a new IP (unless they are reshaping DS3)

An unrecognizable FPS IP brought on at the end of a generation where there are already an overflow of choices on the market.

Unless it's for next generation, then so be it.

Apologize for the cryptic post. It's early.

ced

Holy shit people calm down.

Maybe it's just a game with first person perspective and unique otherwise...

Phazon

I think it's just for Strife, like most people already said. (it was actually the first thing I was thinking of before reading this topic)

From the wiki:

Strife
Strife is an Old One Nephilim and Horseman of the Apocalypse, replacing the traditional horseman Conquest. He wields two large handguns. His whereabouts are unknown.
One of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Strife is the Rider of the White Horse. He carries the Handgun Mercy (The original, War's is a copy according to the Game manual) and another unknown handgun. Strife does not waste time when it comes to business, and will make examples of people to teach a lesson. This is evidenced by how he silenced the demonic hordes who taunted the horsemen as they delievered a message to Samael, by shooting off the leg of one of the demons who yelled "Kill the horsemen!".

ironcreed

Banned
Let us say we do get a game featuring Strife. Do we really want it to be a FPS or even a hybrid? Darksiders is a third person series, and if it goes on to survive, I would prefer it to stay that way.

Top Bottom