• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

Okay I'm bored. :( Glad I was able to get into the beta in the end. The combat is more interactive then I'm used to in MMOs over the years but only by a little bit. Those ads they are doing are pretty misleading in regard to just how much different combat is from past MMOs. Still I'll give them credit for trying to stand out. As I said before I don't have any big issues of the game. It runs well and looks great. Combat is more then just old ability pushing but there is still plenty of that. I'd put in the area with DC Universe Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Line of sight is the big difference.

I think I am going to cancel my preorder in the end. Will know for certain when I play again tomorrow morning. Story wise it isn't grabbing me and for me personally this is important in a MMO. Has been since I first played Everquest: Ruins of Kunark all those years ago. I'm only level 14 now but I think that is enough time to let the game establish the story and game world. There is something about the flight and what is taking place during it (point of view, etc) that made me a little sick looking at it earlier today. Area chat is horrible. I've been playing with that channel turned off mostly because it's become so annoying and I've been focused on the game anyway. Since it's off it's made me focus on the game's world and story more. Lack of having multiple starting areas means I'll be doing the same quest over and over again and doing them the first time hasn't been that interesting. In the last few levels I've started to ignore what is being said. Things just haven't been interesting enough to pay attention and I don't like it when that happens.

I can see what you mean, but the combat feels special to me in a very good way: position, timing, and mastering all the classes seems to be paramount in order to succeed in pvp, and I LOVE that aspect of the game. Along with graphics of course.

Your second point on the story aspect I would consider deeply personal and not reflective on the value of the game as a whole, personally I care absolutely zero about story in mmo's. I skip through every dialogue tree.

Also the /area chat is horrendous I agree.

Is this MMO actually worth trying? I'm kind of intrigued by the action-RPG combat system. But I despise MMO's and the 'grind.' Does anyone else that feels the same about MMO's have their minds changed by this one?

Izayoi

Banned
Is this MMO actually worth trying? I'm kind of intrigued by the action-RPG combat system. But I despise MMO's and the 'grind.' Does anyone else that feels the same about MMO's have their minds changed by this one?
If you don't like MMOs and the leveling up that comes with them you won't like this one.

The combat is awesome, the PvP is great, and I love the content - but it's still very much an MMO.

Tank that nobody ever seems to want in their group.
For good reason usually - 95% of people who play them are fucking awful. They're great tanks in the right hands, it's too bad that Bluehole doesn't force them to pass some kind of test in order to play the class.

Cmagus

Took all day to download but I managed to get a few hours in tonight.Really liking it so far I decided to roll as a human sorcerer which is alot of fun so far.I joined the PVE server I'll send out a request tomorrow for the GAF group.

Rinoa

Def enjoying Berserker as a main melee job, made one on Arachnea called Stella.Nox (no idea why it put a period there). Not that there was anything wrong with Slayer, but I wanted that heavy armor badly.

416967_10150722709402652_508032651_11408904_1850967839_n.jpg

Trying priest now on Serpentis Isle, name is Sherazard. Priest feels stronger than Sorc at noob levels.

If you don't like MMOs and the leveling up that comes with them you won't like this one.

The combat is awesome, the PvP is great, and I love the content - but it's still very much an MMO.

For good reason usually - 95% of people who play them are fucking awful. They're great tanks in the right hands, it's too bad that Bluehole doesn't force them to pass some kind of test in order to play the class.

What makes a good warrior tank in Tera? Haven't looked into the class at all.

Wallach

What makes a good warrior tank in Tera? Haven't looked into the class at all.

You need to be good at timing and you need to know the range, forced directions and speed of your chains better than any of the other classes. I haven't played the Warrior class that far but it's clear how this class works right from the start, and why people might not be good at it. You only get a couple of evasion moves, and both grant you small windows of invincibility - you start with a dodge roll (.5 seconds of invincibility) and you will get one later where you leap into the air and come down with a strike (3 full seconds of invincibility). These moves are pretty much what hinges on your ability to not die from stuff. There are other things you probably need to be mindful of in high-end content, like mitigation modifiers built in to some moves where you'd rather take the mitigated damage for sake of positioning and such.

Truth of the matter is, from speaking with some of the experienced K-TERA players, is that there really isn't much point in dealing with all of this shit outside of enjoying the playstyle. Lancers pretty much do everything either better or far easier; blocking for them has a 1 second cooldown so their sense of timing is much less of a factor (you pretty much get fucked on a mistimed roll with a Warrior), and positioning is better for both the tank and the rest of the party when the tank is a Lancer (because unlike a Warrior they don't need to be running the fuck everywhere to stay alive). Warriors can tank all of the content, even if they can't do it quite as well as a Lancer - the big hang up on the player base is that isn't as easy on the rest of the group and doesn't really come with any kind of upside unless those players also like running around a lot more during combat (and I'm sure some do).

It's not really a case like it is between the Mystic and the Priest, where the Mystic heals good enough for all of the content but then also comes with some significant buff advantages, so there's a trade-off that both that individual player and the group can take into consideration. If they give the Warrior some kind of group-related advantages, I think you'll see the player base point of view shift to one much like the healer one is, which is more interesting.

Wallach

This description of Warrior as tank reminds me of Ninja as tank when the job was first introduced in FFXI.

Well, I have heard that the latest K-TERA patch has some targeted changes for Warrior (adding some kind of combo point system, which I'm not sure what accomplishes yet), and the next patch is supposed to be even more specifically regarding tank balance. I'm not sure how fast that kind of balance stuff will make it to NA-TERA, though.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the FFA OWPVP system yet. I'm having fun but I really dislike the idea of having to be in a large guild just to "survive". I'm also concerned about what state the server could end up in as the player base dwindles. It seems like the large "zerg" guilds would just take over.

The PK activity seems to be picking up a lot, the closer you get to 27. Just hit 27 tonight and saw quite a bit from 24-27.

Mupod

The problem with a Warrior tank theoretically isn't the bosses, although it IS a problem since most warriors don't have the necessary experience or skill for those right now. The actual problem is clearing trash. It's so much faster with a lancer that it's stupid to bring a warrior.

Now if I wanted a partner to duo BAMs with a warrior would be top of my list.

Anyways the vampire instance is great. Much better pacing than SB, and actually a challenge - the end boss is particularly nasty if you don't bug out his adds. Lots of good loot, too.

I'll try not to drop my axe on top of anybody with the GAF tag tomorrow. Should have my hands full with Aphotic and Sunless anyways.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the FFA OWPVP system yet. I'm having fun but I really dislike the idea of having to be in a large guild just to "survive". I'm also concerned about what state the server could end up in as the player base dwindles. It seems like the large "zerg" guilds would just take over.

The PK activity seems to be picking up a lot, the closer you get to 27. Just hit 27 tonight and saw quite a bit from 24-27.

yeah.. honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it either.. while everyone is leveling up and is close to the same level, it hasn't been bad.. I was only killed about 3-4 times by a group of people and I was able to fight back.. I'm lv 23 now on my lancer (Pai ) and still having a good time. If they don't implement some kind of rules with regard to who can attack who and when, I don't think I'm going to enjoy the PVP server.

Fighting other players is fun, and the constant feeling of danger can be fun.. but getting rolled on by a group of bored level 60s will not be fun.. and it will happen a lot with the current ruleset.

All open world PvP games eventually die, simply because people like me who are very bad at it get tired of getting killed all the time and quit. PvP games always start out with a few wolves and many sheep, and eventually all the sheep get tired of being eaten repeatedly and quit one after another, and then there are nothing left but the few wolves to gnaw at themselves because there aren't any tasty sheep anymore.

In a game like Tera where you have both PvP and PvE servers, many people might initially roll on a PvP server but once they get killed enough times they'll just delete their character and re-roll on a PvE server instead. The result is always the inevitable slow death of population until only a few hardcore players remain who reminisce with each other about how Ultima Online or Asheron's Call were the greatest MMOGs of all time until they get bored of having nothing to do and then they quit one by one too.

It's not an exaggeration for me to say that I've been having the most fun on the PvP server late at night soloing while all the gankers are sleeping. I can find a nice little spot away from the roads where people don't go and kill quest mobs without being molested by red names.

Rinoa

Priest is hard to aim that circle with, I'm on controller tho it seems to aim wherever the character is kinda facing. Def a very busy job with all those abilities, but in a party leveling is a breeze.

395904_10150725380927652_508032651_11418489_626850605_n.jpg

429526_10150725382372652_508032651_11418497_776310474_n.jpg

still no clue what the hell is going on story-wise lol

Wallach

It cracks me up that the female high elves ride sidesaddle.

On another note, if I got one of the keys in this thread, it means my characters will get deleted each weekend right? I'd have to get a pre-order key to keep my CBT characters until OBT?

Wallach

I had an IGN key for CBT1, my characters existed in CBT2 as long as I got the pre-order.

I see. Well, for now I'll pre-order it off Amazon I guess, that way if I decide to not pick it up I can at least cancel my order. Kind of a weird way to run a beta, but whatever.

I see. Well, for now I'll pre-order it off Amazon I guess, that way if I decide to not pick it up I can at least cancel my order. Kind of a weird way to run a beta, but whatever.

It's focus testing and usually works a lot better than just leaving the servers open all the time with no level limit.

As for PvP, I share the same sentiment as everyone else here. The lasting enjoyment of it really hinges on how they can curb higher level people from wanting to PK everybody when they're bored. At this rate I'll be rolling on PvE.

Wallach

It's focus testing and usually works a lot better than just leaving the servers open all the time with no level limit.

I'm talking about the deleting of characters between CBTs without a pre-order code. If Amazon weren't one of the vendors offering the pre-order code I wouldn't bother with this game past this CBT at all.

Reikon

In a game like Tera where you have both PvP and PvE servers, many people might initially roll on a PvP server but once they get killed enough times they'll just delete their character and re-roll on a PvE server instead. The result is always the inevitable slow death of population until only a few hardcore players remain who reminisce with each other about how Ultima Online or Asheron's Call were the greatest MMOGs of all time until they get bored of having nothing to do and then they quit one by one too.

Except Asheron's Call's design worked better for open world PvP since the world was so much larger and open. After the initial starting area, there was no set locations to find low level people to kill since there was no linear set of quests for them to follow. I never had a high level character on the PvP server in AC, but I had fun when I played on that server since it felt more like a fun survival adventure than a gankfest (outside of the starting area).

Did the Bastion of Lok as a level 23 Lancer.

Damn the end boss was intense, at first I couldn't tell if I tell if the Vulcan was bouncing around the room like a monkey-on-speed because I lost aggro or because he's just a monkey-on-speed. :-/

Unfortunately we wiped on the first attempt (I was the last one standing) and then it bugged out on the second.

yeah, he's meant to jump around like that... keeps it from being a typical tank and spank. squishy folks still need to evade him when he jumps.

the rock monster is harder, imo. I tanked a group last night going through there as a lancer.. and on the rock monster everyone but me and the warrior were dead.. he and I took it down from 42% to 0% and won the fight and I got to use the res scroll on our priest.. who resurrected our unfortunate slayer.

Yeah when we wiped the first time I was the last one standing, mostly because I'm used to watching the enemy for the right time to block.

The two squishies (Mystic and Priest) died a couple of times mid-fight and had to be resurrected. Guess they weren't used to that.

It took me a minute to figure out the front and back of the rock monster.

a proper lady always rides side-saddle..

Elin are the only females that don't in TERA.

kinda surprised me that they want to the trouble to depict female characters in a different riding animation.

Boken

Banned
The side saddling pisses me off so much. Especially on humans since they hold the reins with two hands while sitting sideways. Holy shit arggg

Signed up for NA server. Really enjoying the game, now. Playing it with as a tag-team, damage dealer and healer, and started to take down the BAMs last night.

Very fun.

Type2

Priest is hard to aim that circle with, I'm on controller tho it seems to aim wherever the character is kinda facing. Def a very busy job with all those abilities, but in a party leveling is a breeze.

395904_10150725380927652_508032651_11418489_626850605_n.jpg

429526_10150725382372652_508032651_11418497_776310474_n.jpg

still no clue what the hell is going on story-wise lol

Hah I haven't read much of the story saving that for a real playthrough. Btw, fun questing with you last night....work sucked today I just took a nap. Ive had some killer fun with this warrior.

Man, I can't believe I forgot about this game. Pretty sure I'll be getting it after what I've seen.

How important are racial bonuses? For example, will I be under-performing as an Elin Lancer compared to some of the other races?

Man, I can't believe I forgot about this game. Pretty sure I'll be getting it after what I've seen.

How important are racial bonuses? For example, will I be under-performing as an Elin Lancer compared to some of the other races?

Apparently not that important from what I heard from lvl 58 Ktera players and have seen.

Reikon

Did the Bastion of Lok as a level 23 Lancer.

Damn the end boss was intense, at first I couldn't tell if I tell if the Vulcan was bouncing around the room like a monkey-on-speed because I lost aggro or because he's just a monkey-on-speed. :-/

Unfortunately we wiped on the first attempt (I was the last one standing) and then it bugged out on the second.

Heh, if you think SB is hard, wait until the next dungeon.

Effect

Well I canceled my pre-order tonight. Had it through Amazon.com. Here's hoping my account stays active for the release of the betas in case further plays make me change my mind. At the moment outside of the graphics and the difference in combat (both which were extremely enjoyable) it's really the same old thing as far as MMO's go and that's what has been my main issue with MMOs in recent years. I started ignoring the quest text after a while as well. That part of the game has always been important to me and since I was doing that during the beta not seeing how that's going to change once the game goes live.

Well I canceled my pre-order tonight. Had it through Amazon.com. Here's hoping my account stays active for the release of the betas in case further plays make me change my mind. At the moment outside of the graphics and the difference in combat (both which were extremely enjoyable) it's really the same old thing as far as MMO's go and that's what has been my main issue with MMOs in recent years. I started ignoring the quest text after a while as well. That part of the game has always been important to me and since I was doing that during the beta not seeing how that's going to change once the game goes live.

Thats a shame :\

I've always felt that the main point is the community and taking down huge bosses with friends. This just makes that a better experience since the combat is better.

But, to each his own. This game is certainly not doing anything special with quests.

esserius

Banned
Yeah, the quest system is prototypical. It's the combat that I find entertaining, though I do wish there was a point where certain skills were rolled together (or, even better, were simply auras, maybe that affected parties to make you more useful than just being DPS), particularly some of the Slayer's mana-gain skills, such that there's no necessity to do the same thing twice. I can say that every skill I've gained so far is seeing a lot of use, so that's good at least, it means the mechanics they're introducing are actually important to play.

I don't really care about MMO stories. They're just categorically problematic. The line "if everyone is a hero then no one is" fits perfectly here for the game's story. It'd be nice to play an MMORPG where you aren't a hero, where you are just a lowly grunt and the boring slay X tasks are just what's assigned to you because you're a grunt. And maybe you move up the grunt chain, becoming a "higher grunt" in the chain of command, but you're still a grunt, and you're expected to do what grunts are good at.

Heh, if you think SB is hard, wait until the next dungeon.

It wasn't for me, really. A lot of times on trash I simply didn't block because it ended up costing me too much threat. :-/

The only real issue I have is the lance itself. Positioning multiple mobs so you can hit all of them at once is a real pain when you're pretty much limited to attacking the area in front of you.

Xyber

It'd be nice to play an MMORPG where you aren't a hero, where you are just a lowly grunt and the boring slay X tasks are just what's assigned to you because you're a grunt. And maybe you move up the grunt chain, becoming a "higher grunt" in the chain of command, but you're still a grunt, and you're expected to do what grunts are good at.

Would love to see them try to market that. :p

Though it would be cool if something like that existed where you and everyone else was working together to reclaim a big world overrun by monsters, you are just a cog in the machine. Everything that others have done would stay that way in your world and every now and then the monsters would do a big attack on a city to take it back and people would need to work together to defend it. This would require you to be there from the start though to experience it all, but that would be such an awesome game!

Type2

Some comments and critiques:
The current quest log interface is pretty nice, I like that clicking on a mob shows you their location. Ultimately im hoping there are mods to make that ui element less obstructive.
The inspect character or for that matter any element like starting a duel or trading needs to be streamlined a little more. Seems like it takes too many clicks and you pretty much need to give somebody a heads up to stand still.
Quest log can use a bit of a revamp too with these repeatable, then the proof of kill quests id like to have them better organized and not default to the ui quest log.

Also would somebody explain the enchanting item process to me, ive been rushing through the content through the am hours without a fully focused mind. Just would like to know where to go, what to do, if its worth doing at all at the early levels much like gemming weapons. thanks!

My warrior is currently level 21, I tried tanking the first instance and soloing a basilisk. For the basilisk it really made me feel in control of my class to have that intimate boss experience without all the clutter of peoples skills and other bodies. This is where warrior tanking truly shines. As for the instance, at my current level I felt like aggro management was a bit iffy especially on the first boss. I currently have one taunt (which is also my interrupt!) and one move that specifically mentions aggro but its aoe based. Then for avoiding moves I only have the base dodge which doesn't cover much distance or protect me from multiple attacks(aka a roll at the first hit but the other hits will still catch me). The second boss was a cake walk since he didn't jump as much. My charge wont come until level 30 which is a bummer.
The class is fluid,great to solo with and overall gives me a ton to enjoy. From a design perspective it is playable at a higher difficulty like the game says but its missing some attributes of an effective tank at these early levels. My group thankfully was rather patient and didn't have any problems with me except for the first boss(aggro concerns). My taunt has a 3 second cast or something like that and this dudes just hoping around haha.

maybe they thought it would counter-act their chainmail bikinis.. lol

Everyone knows in games, the less clothes you wear, the better the protection it affords!

TFT and NFA broke Valley of the Titans. Hundreds of people in Popolion melted the server.

I was halfway through a Manor run too with a group that was really good. >_>

Arachnea is down too, I think they shut down the PvP servers early. This was probably on purpose. The whole day the only "PvP" that was going on was people training the spiders to try and MPK the people hanging around the Manor entrance area. OWPvP just doesn't work in this game, it wasn't designed for it and all the zones are full of choke-points which makes it impossible for normal people who just want to level to escape gankers.

Elin are the only females that don't in TERA.

Elins are neither male nor female, as they are nature spirits. Sorry pedos! :3

Top Bottom