• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

: You don't need to push the button to remove Joy-con strap(!)

Did anyone else think you did? Nintendo just uploaded a how-to video on the very topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5n7-ncYDc

I just finished playing the ARMS demo and when I went to take the straps off, I said to myself, "Great, here we go again." Since launch I always thought that process was the least intuitive aspect of the system. It was always a struggle for me to both push the release button and get a solid enough grip on the strap to push it upwards without accidentally knocking the bottom latch into the lock position.

Since I was again having trouble, I decided to watch the aforementioned video I had noticed earlier in the day to see how the hell I was supposed to do this. Turns out you don't even press the button at all! I had assumed the straps use the same locking mechanism as the Switch itself, but I guess not!

Hoping I'm not the only one who finds this information immensely useful.

-shadow-

They had videos on the official site since launch. It's still the weirdest design choice of the system. It's the only piece that you can use it with that doesn't require the little button on the back. Makes it way more confusing than it ever should.

yea the only locking mechanic is the gray tab at the bottom but for those that are gonna be getting a switch soon i recommend breaking them in by taking them one and off a bunch if times cause they are stiff as hell when you first get them.

TZchassis

Straps are the worst aspect of the Switch. But considering how the joycon is a Swiss Army knife type of controller I accepted the compromise. Also, I was looking for this video on day 1 Nintendo.

//ARCANUM

I'm genuinely worried that doing this will wear down the joycon locking mechanism over time. The lock seems to be putting pressure on the straps to hold them in place. Yes the white locks on the straps do this too, but I think the joycon locks are snapping in up top. I have to imagine over time you'll wear them down. :/

ggx2ac

Oh, very clever. Keeping the wrist strap attached adds more force when pulling the Joy-Con strap off since you're gripping something small.

Did anyone notice the jump cut in step 4 of this video? The actor definitely had problems pulling it off on the first take, haha.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised that people thought you need to press the unlock button on the joycon that is for the rail system. Even one of the staff at the preview event thought this.

Branduil

Yeah? Isn't the obvious?

It is very clearly NOT obvious. Making a device that normally works one way(the joycons slide into the Switch console from the top down) and then having straps which work in a completely different way(slide on from bottom up, lock instead of joycon buttons for removal) is the opposite of intuitive.

Oresama

yea the only locking mechanic is the gray tab at the bottom but for those that are gonna be getting a switch soon i recommend breaking them in by taking them one and off a bunch if times cause they are stiff as hell when you first get them.

Can confirm this works. They slide much easier now after doing the above a couple dozen times.

Edit: may introduce a slight bit of play in portable mode between the unit and controls.

Dremorak

Banned
I also knew this apparantly obvious thing and agree heartily with those laughing at the plebs who did not know, of which I am not, because I already knew.

Hohohohohoho

Thanks OP

kunonabi

Straps are the worst aspect of the Switch. But considering how the joycon is a Swiss Army knife type of controller I accepted the compromise. Also, I was looking for this video on day 1 Nintendo.

The straps being separate still bugs the hell out of me. I wouldn't mind a revision with built in straps, a dpad, and speakers even if it meant making them slightly larger.

//ARCANUM

Can confirm this works. They slide much easier now after doing the above a couple dozen times.

Edit: may introduce a slight bit of play in portable mode between the unit and controls.

That's what I'm talking about, I think pulling the straps on and off is actually weakening the joycon's locking ability.

milkham

I didn't know, this makes things simpler. I still feel like i'm going to break something when I pull it off.

It is very clearly NOT obvious. Making a device that normally works one way(the joycons slide into the Switch console from the top down) and then having straps which work in a completely different way(slide on from bottom up, lock instead of joycon buttons for removal) is the opposite of intuitive.
Idk I figured it out the first time I removed them. It's obvious there's a different lock, which means the top lock doesn't work and having to press the button would make it too hard to remove.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with these things is not removing them, it's being able to confuse the + and - versions, which will inevitably get stuck on the opposite part.

7threst

The problem with these things is not removing them, it's being able to confuse the + and - versions, which will inevitably get stuck on the opposite part.

This happened to me the first day I got my Switch. It was hell getting them off.

ReverendLovejoy

Neo Member
The video helped me as well. To be honest I felt like I don't have to read manuals anymore but I think I would have broke at least one Joycon down the line... So I'm actually glad they made this video for fools like me lol

ASTROID2

Why not just use the same locking mechanism for everything? Why did the straps get a special lock? Its so confusing were the designers of the wrist strap not aware of how the joy con worked? The button should unlock anything thats attached to the joy con. Its why its there.

But the rail on the strap has little notches where the button mechanism connects. And the strap comes off more easily if I hold the button.

Not holding the button seems more likely to damage the joycon and it isn't difficult to hold it while removing the straps. Unless you put it on backwards, which is easily the worst design flaw I've ever encountered in a Nintendo product.

suaveric

I wonder just how many complaints/repairs Nintendo was receiving about these things to prompt them to make a video showing how to use them correctly.

Budi

Unfortunately I haven't yet got to try Switch myself, but I'm really surprised something this simple needs a separate instruction video. But maybe I would had been confused too.

Top Bottom