• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being sued by Digital Homicide

Savitar

They have been seriously butthurt over the whole damn thing, they only make themselves look worse. Who would even support their lawsuit.

If anyone but Jim had played those games they sure as hell would not have given the benefit of the doubt that Jim has given throughout this whole thing.

Seriously, I'd really like to see what a formal, official review from a site like IGN would have to say about these games.

Even when criticizing their games hes always done so in a constructive, but honest manner.

Any average person playing them would downright trash them but the way Jim points out the problems is the way he would point out any issues with any game, be it indie or AAA. He states the issues and how they can be fixed and DH just buckles down rather than taking the critique to mind.

It's easy to hurl personal insults or be unprofessional about things given the circumstances, but I have a ton of respect for Jim for always going about things in a respectful manner and not "losing his shit" when he's so clearly in the right.

Sorcerer

A crowdfunded lawsuit? WTF!!!

What are the tier levels?

Jim has nothing to worry about, they won't raise shit if this is how they must go about it.

Why is this guy so obsessed with wasting his time and money on ruining his reputation? Let it go man.

I can understand getting peeved at someone for crapping on your work, but the way this has unfolded and escalated is just absurd.

Sjefen

JIm fucking Sterling will eat them alive.
200.gif

Whompa02

Costing them money. That's the #1 reason to sue someone.

His words and videos have directly affected their business (as it fucking should, they suck) and they think that's not legal. Well, legal or not, they want him to stop so they are try once again to change backgrounds, names and links to try to pretend the shit they release isn't made by them.

god that's so pathetic!

-shadow-

best-amazing-gif-102.gif

This is going to be absolutely freakin amazing. No way that DH have a chance at winning and it's actually rather sad to see Jim being sued. But man!

21XX

Banned
I think one of my favorite things was when Jim said he didn't access the help menu in one of DH's games because of the "sheer geographical chaos that was your menu system." Hilarious.

These dudes need to let it go. It's embarrassing.

When -- not if -- Jim wins this case, I'd look into getting a restraining order if I were him. If the courts "fail" these two idiots, I could see them taking "justice" into their own hands.

Edit: too bad the case is in Arizona. If it were in California, Jim could likely anti-SLAPP this right out of court, have DH pay his lawyers for him, and be home in time to record the next Jimquisition.

I'm going to donate $1 or possible $2 as Jim Sterling annoys me for some reason.
Bit petty don't cha think? If you don't like the guy then don't watch or read his stuff, instead of donating to something as dumb as this they have no chance in hell of winning.

Kthulhu

Good thing Jim has that YouTube money to help him with this.

I'd be surprised if anyone outside of the friends and family of the developers donates to them.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wwwow. That is hilariously pathetic on every single level. DH, you are in no position to be pointing fingers. You don't have a single leg to stand on here.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Seeing how his last video about them was rather complimentary I assume it has something to do with that "Thank God for Digital Homicide" Bundle they had going? Like he probably told them to stop using his catch-phrase and they got pissed off?
Can't really think off another reason why this would happen now.

The donation just went up to $5.

Oh no

Also what and why is this happening, do they really like debt or something, they'll be lucky if they get a cent.
The donation just went up to $5.
Welp pack it up Jim. Not to mention do you like throwing money away, there are people in more need than these sleazeballs.

Navy Bean

Just finished reading the Complaint - DH is also asking for an apology video to run on Youtube for 5 years. I doubt their case has merit but that would be amazing.

MiguelItUp

I'd much rather donate to Jim than Digital Homicide any day. They're over saturating Steam Greenlight with their terrible games that are hardly functional. The "interview" Jim and them had together awhile ago was so terribly cringe-y it was hard to finish. They legitimately felt like they were delivering solid and reputable products, and then acted as if they had Jim under their thumbs. It was incredibly strange, if not even off putting. To be honest listening to majority of it made it hard to believe it was even real. I wish Jim all the best in this, and I would imagine this will go over more than fine for him.

Hopefully whenever this is all said and done it'll be the end of it, because honestly I'm tired of Digital Homicide getting any more attention.

Shit. I hope it works out. This seems like the kind of bullshit situation where you could wind up losing a lot of money to legal fees even when you're clearly in the right.

Namek

Neo Member
I'm really a loss for this.

"Hey everyone! Please give us money for a lawsuit against a guy who has given our games bad reviews!"

Seriously. What? I understand the slander angle, but it looks as if that's coming from individuals in result of the video. Are they suing each and every one of them too?

Lamptramp

To be fair, Jim does seem to be unfairly targeting them. It's kind of like bullying at this point to garner a reaction from Digital Homocide.
DH is going about this wrong way though.

This went up today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoNDahSe5J4

There's thousands of crappy games on Steam, but he likes to focus on DH's for some reason. Again, probably because it invokes a reaction from them.

Thats tosh matey, since day 1 DH have responded in a terrible way going back to the original "response video". Jim has frequently avoided reporting on some of their content to show that poor response toward them wasn't fuelled by a mob sent via his youtube channel. The infamous "Interview" containing the disturbing ramblings of DH only took place because they repeatedly badgered (and if I recall, insulted) Jim on social media.

If there has been any bullying done it has been from DH rather than from Jim, however they are as incompetent at bullying as they are everything else they do, and every punch they send to their "victim" hits their own face by mistake.

Jim is blameless in this.

Navy Bean

Shit. I hope it works out. This seems like the kind of bullshit situation where you could wind up losing a lot of money to legal fees even when you're clearly in the right.

Absolutely - best case scenario is Jim gets it thrown out on a motion to dismiss. That alone would probably cost at least $10k.

neshcom

Banned
What's really insidious is that this isn't via a platform, so they have no obligation to pay back and of these donations when they ultimately decide not to go forward with the suit.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
373088.jpg

"Hello"

"Right, I'm calling all the way from Digital Homicide, and I want to speak to...Mr. Jim Sterling right now!"

"Uhhh...hold please."

"All right, but I don't..."

"Payroll, Jim Stanton speaking."

This sucks for Jim. He's going to have to pay for a petty lawsuit filing that has no way of being lost, hopefully he can get that covered from DH.

Wait, what the hell? Arizona? Is that where Jim operates?

synce

Never heard of them and don't like Sterling but that geek.com article is pretty funny. Apparently you shouldn't mess with popular people on the internet because they're popular.

Damn Digital Homicide need to learn to the let fuck go and move on. Why why why must they cling on like this. Students at my university create better games for their final projects; this game is shit, take the criticism, digest it, learn from it, and be a better person for it.

louiedog

We survived initial onslaughts of these attacks barely and were just about to break through when the false statements obliterated us, decreasing our income to 1/10th normal and destroying 2x and 3x consequetive quartly increases.

1/10th normal? I'd like to see them try and prove that. What's their normal revenue? Their first game was The Slaughtering Grounds which Jim skewered immediately and they gave away for free.

I'm sure you can point to Steamspy to show their numbers vs other games of similar quality/ratings that have released on Steam and see they aren't doing any worse. I'd actually believe that thanks to publicity from Jim Sterling they probably get a slight bump from people buying them as a goof or to stream.

Xater

What's really insidious is that this isn't via a platform, so they have no obligation to pay back and of these donations when they ultimately decide not to go forward with the suit.

Of course, it's another way to potentially rip some people off.

Top Bottom