• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trailer ends with a elevator button Panel saying

M K 3 2 1

Mario
Kart
Race Start Count Down (3...2...1)

Mario Kart x Sonic Racing CONFIRMED

vw8yij0ltuagugjssrzv.jpg

Fuck MAHVEL dis the real MATCH OF THE MILLENNIUM

Raitaro

Yep, that was indeed awesome! Very well animated. Cool to see some more zones in action as well.

Still, one slight niggle for me remains the fact that they didn't try to create a true Sonic 4 in all but name by implenting one new canonical character that people actually might fall in love with similarly to Tales and Knuckles' introduction in 2 and 3 respectively.

And if not new, why not Sonic CD alumni Amy or fan favorite newcomer Blaze? For this particular game I think it would have fitted well even if I generally fully agree that this series suffers from new character overkill and that for most Sonic games, the core trio seen in Mania is more than enough. (That said, the character creation tools introduced in Sonic Forces could actually have been much cooler in Mania if you ask me.)

The very first Mania trailer showed footage from Sonic 1, 2, and 3K, and the levels they used were GHZ, Aquatic Ruin, and Flying Battery - two of which we now know are in the game, so people are theorizing Aquatic Ruin is too.

I was hoping for chemical from 2. :/

Maybe Hydrocity is 3's and they didn't want two similar zones.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Shame they chose to emulate the wrong Sonic CD intro music.

Guess Who

Banned
The art and characterisation in this game (and Tyson Hesse's other work on the Sonic Mega Drive comic series) is exactly what Sega should be focusing Sonic around. The depiction here is both cooler than Modern Sonic and more charming than the twee Classic Sonic. This is literally what the brand should be about but instead their main studio is actively working to create conflicting characterisations, before dumping in a dose of Original Character Do Not Steal on top.

Sega: let Modern/Classic Sonic die on the way back to their home planets, and do more of this please.

Sonic Mania is made almost entirely by people from the Sonic fandom who Get It at a level that Sega hasn't in decades. People make fun of the Sonic fandom a lot, but there are some ridiculously talented people in the fandom who have a lot of love and care for this franchise, despite Sega's best efforts to run it into the ground.

I'm more convinced than ever that Sega should take the franchise away from Sonic Team and Sega of Japan, and put it entirely in the hands of a new team like the one assembled for Mania. Imagine what the Mania team, given a Sonic Forces-level budget and partnering with a bigger studio, could fucking do.

Hopefully this sells well enough to constitute sequels and such. I can definitely see myself purchasing Mania and sitting out on Forces, especially if it means more games like the former

Sonic Mania is made almost entirely by people from the Sonic fandom who Get It at a level that Sega hasn't in decades. People make fun of the Sonic fandom a lot, but there are some ridiculously talented people in the fandom who have a lot of love and care for this franchise, despite Sega's best efforts to run it into the ground.

I'm more convinced than ever that Sega should take the franchise away from Sonic Team and Sega of Japan, and put it entirely in the hands of a new team like the one assembled for Mania. Imagine what the Mania team, given a Sonic Forces-level budget and partnering with a bigger studio, could fucking do.

For what it's worth, Sonic is now entirely US-controlled. That said, Iizuka is part of that operation in a big way still so don't expect any huge overhauls. Just expect more stuff like Mania, hopefully.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This was absolutely amazing.

The stark contrast between this treatment of Sonic and Sonic Forces is...something else. Just kill modern sonic (please) and let's keep this Mania train rolling.

I know people will say whynotboth.jpg but really fuck that, all resources into this loveliness please.

Puruzi

Banned
Man Classic Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails are just perfect designs

Please let there be more Mania style games.

PLEASE.

Guess Who

Banned
For what it's worth, Sonic is now entirely US-controlled. That said, Iizuka is part of that operation in a big way still so don't expect any huge overhauls. Just expect more stuff like Mania, hopefully.

Iizuka has to go. He has shown, repeatedly, over the course of decades, that he has no idea what to do with the franchise. He couldn't even make a sequel to NiGHTS - his own baby - that didn't fuck it up.

J@hranimo

Banned
Hopefully this sells well enough to constitute sequels and such. I can definitely see myself purchasing Mania and sitting out on Forces, especially if it means more games like the former

God yes, this fills me with pure bliss and excitement while Sonic OCs fills me with disgust and cynicism. We need way more of this.

dlauv

It's stuff like this and the new Caution: Seaman project that give me hope for the future of SEGA.

But Mania isn't out + Forces + Crazy Taxi Gazillionaire.

NZerker12

OMG THAT TRAILER!!!

Beautiful.

I absolutely love the Sonic CD/OVA style of the animation and I hope we get an animated intro and credits as well. Actually might as well make a new OVA movie while there at it.

I can't wait for this game.

MrBadger

I think the best thing we can hope for is that Mania does well enough for this team to get more work. As much as I'd love for this aesthetic to be the default Sonic look from now on, I'll take a constant string of high quality 2D games alongside whatever Sonic Team does.

There's really no basis for saying that.

The gameplay we've seen of Forces looks pretty worrying, honestly. The level design ain't looking too hot.

I'll preorder the moment it goes up on PSN. Now make it happen because I don't see it on there.

Edit : You have to search for it. Its not in the preorder menu.

Ravidrath

This was done by Tyson Heese, who worked on the Sonic comics (including the recent Classic Sonic one-off Sonic: Mega Drive, which looks basically identical to this).

@kinucakes, lead animator on Skullgirls also contributed.

Yeah, Tyson was in charge of this, and Mariel Cartwright (@Kinucakes) and Anthony Holden (@nthonyholden) were assistant animators.

Jon Kim (@personasama), another Lab Zero animator, also worked on the editing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
True. But Colors and Generations were great despite Sonic Team still not understanding how classic Sonic should control so I have faith in Forces.

That is incredibly frustrating though. Just fix the god damn 2D controls. And enough with Green Hill Zone. Open the game with Emerald Hill.
Emerald Hill is just Green Hill with different music.
Better music.

Sonic Cycle went away for a really long time but ironically it looks to be back in full swing for Forces. Bummer, but at least we have Mania which looks amaaaaaaazing.
Sonic cycle is still fully intact.

Atleast one of the games must reach a similar quality to the Genesis classics for the cycle to be broken.

Mania is going to be the one to do it. And then we plunge right back in with Sonic Farces.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Switch or PC? I just don't know...

Do we know if it will be framerate unlocked on PC?

Sacul64GC

Banned
The very first Mania trailer showed footage from Sonic 1, 2, and 3K, and the levels they used were GHZ, Aquatic Ruin, and Flying Battery - two of which we now know are in the game, so people are theorizing Aquatic Ruin is too.

Oooook got ya, thanks! I'd love AR being in.

Azure J

Perfection. GOAT Sonic art style.

Seriously, the SCD intro art style is something I've wanted to see more of since forever. This trailer just made me stupidly hype for something I already knew I was getting just off the strength of that alone. I really hope there is something brewing and maybe we do get an animated opening/ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom