• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United stops girl wearing leggings w/ employee pass from boarding due to dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Background:

0IZc4jZ.png
Response:

Patricia Arquette even got involved:

Delta with the shade:

I was thinking it was just one person and could see something like this happening if the leggings were in poor shape, but it sounds like it was actually a few people...? This seems like a pretty big fuck up.

I don't even bring a change of clothes to the gate. I would be completely screwed.

Nevasleep

Only thing I can imagine is that they were black see-through, with a short t-shirt?
Not that I mind lol.

Edit: Sounds like she was travelling with employee benefits, with a stricter dress code?

Kusagari

United gives a 101 here in how to not handle Twitter PR.

The person handling that account made the whole thing worse with the tone-deaf responses.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
A fucking gate agent giving a damn about clothing?

That's ridiculous!

If it's good enough for TSA, why does United care?

Part of the twitter exchange leads me to believe this woman was flying non-rev on employee passes?

Most airlines are strict in those cases.

Makki

Context:

"United spokesman Jonathan Guerin said the two who were turned away were standby "pass riders," meaning they were traveling as relatives of an employee, and their "attire did not meet our [more strict] pass travel requirements. ... They are representing United Airlines.""

http://m.startribune.com/traveler-r...ings-from-getting-on-flight-to-msp/417119053/

Ah, now it all makes sense. They got no right to complain then, wish I had seen this before raging.

Context:

"United spokesman Jonathan Guerin said the two who were turned away were standby "pass riders," meaning they were traveling as relatives of an employee, and their "attire did not meet our [more strict] pass travel requirements. ... They are representing United Airlines.""

http://m.startribune.com/traveler-r...ings-from-getting-on-flight-to-msp/417119053/

Okay but

Another girl, roughly 10 years old, also was singled out for having on leggings, but she put on a dress from her backpack and was allowed to board, said Shannon Watts, a traveler one gate over at Denver International Airport.

What the fuck United???

Is this passenger an employee of United? Their later responses seemed to imply they are.

If that's the case, I'm not shocked. From my understanding, if an employee is flying any using their free flight privileges, the airline will require them to dress professionally. I'm confident American has a similar policy. I've flown as a guest of an employee, and they definitely explained the dress code - especially if I were to be bumped to first class.

It would be a puzzling thing to hold a regular customer to that, though.

Giolon

Context:

As someone who's a relative of a major airline pilot, this is a known thing. In order to fly with this benefit, there is a higher dress code enforced since you're viewed as an airline representative at that point.

Trouble

Banned
There's a nuance being missed here. One of those replies indicate the passenger was flying on a pass (aka employee benefits aka non-rev aka for free*). The airlines do have dress/appearance codes if you are flying non-rev. The rules are pretty non-specific and relaxed, but it is ultimately up to the gate agent's discretion.

* Not really free, you have to pay taxes and airport fees. ~$400 round-trip first class to Europe might as well be free though.

iammeiam

Okay but

What the fuck United???

When I was poking around Twitter threads for this, people mentioned companion pass dress codes as surprisingly strict.

I mostly want to know if people on that style of pass would also be barred from wearing shorts--then it's less blatant sexism and more United having a dumb rule about using free employee travel.

giga

Context:

They don't define what strict is, as the article states.

United replied on Twitter, saying, "We do have the right to refuse transport for passengers who are barefoot or not properly clothed." The provision cited by the airline, which is part of the standard airline/passenger contract, does not define "properly clothed."

And one of the girls also turned away wasn't flying as a pass rider.

Is this passenger an employee of United? Their later responses seemed to imply they are.

If that's the case, I'm not shocked. From my understanding, if an employee is flying any using their free flight privileges, the airline will require them to dress professionally. I'm confident American has a similar policy. I've flown as a guest of an employee, and they definitely explained the dress code - especially if I were to be bumped to first class.

It would be a puzzling thing to hold a regular customer to that, though.

They did, according to the article distantmantra just posted, and she was ten years old.

Two pass riders, kinda questionable and weird but employee guidelines are a little different, so that's whatever. But to then turn it around on a little girl is pretty shocking.

When I was poking around Twitter threads for this, people mentioned companion pass dress codes as surprisingly strict.

I mostly want to know if people on that style of pass would also be barred from wearing shorts--then it's less blatant sexism and more United having a dumb rule about using free employee travel.

It does not sound like the little girl was riding on one of those passes though, just the teenagers.

ItIsOkBro

Context:

Going by this there was a 10 year old who was also going to be turned away had she not had a dress to put over her leggings?

This "pass rider" seems like a scapegoat that doesn't even hold up.

You're usually not allowed a first class seat, if available, when wearing shorts.

Trouble

Banned

They used to be pretty strict for first class. They have relaxed them quite a bit. Jeans are OK in first class now, but still no shorts.

louiedog

Context:

Non-story then. A friend's dad used to work for an airline and she flew for like $35 anywhere in the country. The catch was you had to dress appropriately because you were representing the airline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom