• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Haze will actually fill a much-needed void on PS3

Wolves Evolve said:
I played this yesterday at a trade show in Melbourne, Australia.

Appalling. A dog's breakfast. These would be some of the terms I'd be using if I could stop vomiting at the sub-par level design, (ITS A WAREHOUSE IN THE DESERT, WHAT?) the completely broken get-in/get-out vehicle parts, the uninteresting combat, bland environments.

I played the demo for 10 minutes. It reminded me of Red Faction.

.... the first Red Faction.

The only dog's breakfast I see here is your comparison. Unfortunate really because it all started rather well.

fps fanatic said:
Since this game was obviously gonna be multi-platform from the start, I wonder if their lead sku was 360 (if I'm not mistaken, I thought it was originally previewed on the 360 at E3 '06?) and now FRD are having problems getting it over to the PS3?

I don't think that's it. PS3 was already said to be the lead platform long before this exclusivity crap was so much as a rumor. So I don't think whatever issues the game has can be attributed to cross platform development, or at least not in the sense that it'd stem from trying to get it to work on the PS3.

fps fanatic said:
Oh, ok. Well, I would like this game to turn out well. But, this is one title that I wouldn't mind seeing delayed. If they're gonna try and build a brand/franchise, maybe they should take a cue from EA (of all people) and what they did with Army of Two. Let it bake in the oven for a little while longer. When it's ready, release it...

It's already quite delayed from the initial target release period, I doubt they would want to delay it even further. I'd assume that initial "delay" had something to do with the drastic redesign of characters, which I suspect was mandated by the publisher. As for the quality now, do we even know which builds they are demoing? Sounds like they have been showing off the same missions and maps for some time now. But then again, it might just be an unpolished game.

fps fanatic said:
Since this game was obviously gonna be multi-platform from the start, I wonder if their lead sku was 360 (if I'm not mistaken, I thought it was originally previewed on the 360 at E3 '06?) and now FRD are having problems getting it over to the PS3? This game has also been up and down for me. Some levels, like the jungle area we've seen in previews, looks good. But I saw a little preview which took place in an abandoned resort/hotel, and it looked terrible. If FRD pull it off and Haze turns out well, hey, it's another shooter to add to my collection. I love the genre, and another good FPS for me is all good....

Well according to ign back then the game was planed for 360, pc, and PS2.

"Slated for a 2007 release on PC, PS2, and Xbox 360, "
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/707/707639p1.html

Aeon712

Wolves Evolve said:

Appalling. A dog's breakfast. These would be some of the terms I'd be using if I could stop vomiting at the sub-par level design, (ITS A WAREHOUSE IN THE DESERT, WHAT?) the completely broken get-in/get-out vehicle parts, the uninteresting combat, bland environments.

Sweet I freaking loved Red Faction, you just made Haze sound even better. Can't wait to pick it up.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Wolves Evolve said:

Ah you played it, i noticed it seemed to be rather popular. But maybe that was because of the Zoo girl handing out stuff around the ubisoft section. I thought about trying to give it a shot but it looked fucking bad. As i mentioned in a previous post, something strange is going on with the use of motion blur. Zooming in seemed slow and odd, even turning made my eyes want to explode. I watched people play the jungle level and some desert level, the odd slowdown turning motion blur thingy was more obvious in the desert level. Something just isn't right with the game.

Basch said:
HazeSWAMPScreen.jpg

I like this screen shot.

Just got the new EGM and in the 2 page ad near the front of the mag, there is a nice sized graphic above the ESRB rating that says that it's only on the PS3.

OldJadedGamer said:
Just got the new EGM and in the 2 page ad near the front of the mag, there is a nice sized graphic above the ESRB rating that says that it's only on the PS3.

Does it say something about release date in the ad? For timed or coincidental exclusives, there should be some kind of qualifier, like "Available 2007 only on Playstation 3".

Basch

AltogetherAndrews said:
Does it say something about release date in the ad? For timed or coincidental exclusives, there should be some kind of qualifier, like "Available 2007 only on Playstation 3".

I think I know what ad is being referred to, but any ad I have seen for the game has shown Only on PlayStation 3. But then again, look at Lost Planet.

By the way does everyone know the main character's name yet? His name is Jack Carpenter. Just in case you haven't heard yet. :D

evlcookie said:
Ah you played it, i noticed it seemed to be rather popular. But maybe that was because of the Zoo girl handing out stuff around the ubisoft section. I thought about trying to give it a shot but it looked fucking bad. As i mentioned in a previous post, something strange is going on with the use of motion blur. Zooming in seemed slow and odd, even turning made my eyes want to explode. I watched people play the jungle level and some desert level, the odd slowdown turning motion blur thingy was more obvious in the desert level. Something just isn't right with the game.

Is this from the same event? They seem to share your view on the movement, and if the turning is really that slow I can see motion blur becoming weird. You don't suppose it was just set to slow for the benefit of new players?

The main issue we had with Haze is that your character seems to move incredibly slow. Maybe not so for those that aren't overly familiar with the FPS genre, but after games like Call of Duty 4 and Resistance which have you sprinting around like a nutter, the slow character chugging along and taking his time to turn around (when you really want to just spin and shoot whatever the hell is behind you). It may not sound like a big deal, but it makes escape in those harder segments just a little bit harder.

After spending some time with the game, we do think that Haze definitely has some potential. The graphics seem to be solid once the glitches are ironed out and the gameplay is entertaining, albeit a little bit obvious in its execution. We look forward to seeing how it pans out when it's released in the near future, but we're still up in the air as to whether it will be a hit or a miss.

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=9532&rss=1&title=eGames+07:+Haze+Preview

The Hug Dog said:
Barring horrendous reviews, from what i've seen this will be a day one purchase

I have a gut feeling that this one won't do incredibly well in reviews. I think it all depends on how solid the MP is, and with it coming out somewhere between COD4 and UT3, it will have to be real solid to convince the critics.

Chris_C

Strangely enough all this negative news has me pretty excited for Haze, I was pretty "meh" until this thread. I'm almost certainly going to get it now.

Chris_C said:
Strangely enough all this negative news has me pretty excited for Haze, I was pretty "meh" until this thread. I'm almost certainly going to get it now.

What's that saying, any press is good press? I wouldn't have imagined it'd apply here though, but hey.

Yeah I seriously consider my experience with Haze to be one of the worst experiences with a commercial game since Knife Edge on the N64. I mean, if you like it, and I know you, I'm reporting you to the child sex offender hotline.

Then again, if people liked Red Faction, I'm clearly out of the loop. This is clearly Planet Fuck and I'm clearly in the minority.

magus

I don't know if this game will be good but I like the development team from what I've seen from the videos. I wish them well.

Nizz

magus said:
I don't know if this game will be good but I like the development team from what I've seen from the videos. I wish them well.

Yeah, I played and liked Timesplitters 1 and 3: Future Perfect (never played part 2) and I'd like this one to turn out well. When I first saw preview footage on Gamersyde I was blown away. Then I read the recent previews of the game and most people are like ho-hum about it. This title really has been up and down with me.The best that can happen is we get a hot shooter. The worst I'm hoping is we get at least a solid FPS with a storyline that has a different twist to it. I really hope the performance is there, though. Not to chamge the subject but after having played Resistance and Call of Duty 4, it'll be tough to play through an FPS that chugs. A solid 30fps is what I'm hoping for...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wolves Evolve said:
Yeah I seriously consider my experience with Haze to be one of the worst experiences with a commercial game since Knife Edge on the N64. I mean, if you like it, and I know you, I'm reporting you to the child sex offender hotline.

Then again, if people liked Red Faction, I'm clearly out of the loop. This is clearly Planet Fuck and I'm clearly in the minority.

Red Faction was awesome. Awesome.

Andrews if you hate this game why the hell do you spend all your time in this thread trolling the game. I mean do you really not have anything better to do? I mean WHO exactly is paying you to do this religously?

And if this game is like Red Faction 1 then HOLY SHIT i want. That game was just amazing. That games Geo Mod still has no match

Yeah... if you can't achieve a solid framerate, and by solid I mean very rare moments of slowdown, then something is wrong and you need to fix it. If that requires dialing down the detail a bit, then do so. Going from 60fps to 30fps is fine, just make it run at a smooth 30fps.

DemonSwordsman said:
Andrews if you hate this game why the hell do you spend all your time in this thread trolling the game. I mean do you really not have anything better to do? I mean WHO exactly is paying you to do this religously?

What in the hell are you talking about?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
DemonSwordsman said:

And if this game is like Red Faction 1 then HOLY SHIT i want. That game was just amazing. That games Geo Mod still has no match

You don't really know Andrew's history with this game do you :) He was very excited when it was first announced and unfortunately so many previews have been bad that he's obviously a bit disappointed. Which is understandable IMO.

I still have a small hope that it'll turn out ok. Who knows.

TEH-CJ

Banned
DemonSwordsman said:

What on earth boy...

Thunderbear said:
You don't really know Andrew's history with this game do you :) He was very excited when it was first announced and unfortunately so many previews have been bad that he's obviously a bit disappointed. Which is understandable IMO.

I still have a small hope that it'll turn out ok. Who knows.

Seriously. I was talking about this game before it was so much as an encrusted stain of ejaculate in the shorts of the fanboy gazing upon a possible future bragging point, so I think I've earned the right to be somewhat critical of the game as it nears release.

Top Bottom