• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Black Screen Fix (w/ Audio Dropping)

Cross posting from the Pro Launch OT:
Just as a heads up for those with LG TV's that were experiencing issues and had to set the hdcp to 1.4, a new firmware was released for the tv's today (04.30.70) that fixed the issue for me. Finally rocking that sweet, sweet HDCP 2.2.

So this issue needs more awareness as it's currently getting buried in the PS4 Pro OT. It's a pretty huge issue considering this "4k" console has a serious bug with multiple major 4k tvs making it basically unusable unless you do the fix below. I had this when booting for the first time with my B6 OLED LG TV. Black screen on boot, with audio that keeps breaking up every few seconds.

Current solution is to turn off your console. Then hold the power button until it beeps twice and goes into safe mode.
Change the resolution to 1080p. (I believe you may be able to disable hdcp/choose hdcp 1.4 at this stage also which should fix it)
Then the console will boot.
If you disable HDCP (or apparently choose hdcp 1.4) you'll then be able to select 4k without it being a black screen.
Only problem is I believe by disabling hdcp we can't use 4K Netflix etc. Credit for the fix goes to someone over at /r/PS4Pro.

Edit - Vizio users try this:

Having the same issue with my 4k TV. This is some shit, I'm going to mess with this for a couple days and if I cannot get it working I'll just return it. Super lame.

Have a Vizio 55inch 4k.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I have a Vizio M65-C1 and was freaking out a bit once I plugged in my new Pro and there was a black screen. I had to attempt the method that was posted several times to get it to work.

I have a Vizio M65-C1 and was freaking out a bit once I plugged in my new Pro and there was a black screen. I had to attempt the method that was posted several times to get it to work.

I have a 55inch same model # and still not sure what I'm supposed to do, this is BS.

It keeps saying 2160p is unsupported even though it is in the 4k HDMI port.

Chorazin

The LG update must have totally worked, since I plugged my PS4 Pro in last night and has zero issues with it. Had to go into the TV's settings and turn on "Ultra Deep Colors" (or whatever it's called) for that HDMI port to enable RGB but that only took a second.

Boss Man

Just chiming in. It is a pretty widespread issue.

It happens rarely (not nearly rarely enough though - which would be never) on my Samsung KS8000.

Another one of those "It's not a problem with the PS4 Pro" problems with one common denominator.

The LG update must have totally worked, since I plugged my PS4 Pro in last night and has zero issues with it. Had to go into the TV's settings and turn on "Ultra Deep Colors" (or whatever it's called) for that HDMI port to enable RGB but that only took a second.

Waiting for an update to the 49UF850V as currently no matter how I change things HDCP - Auto or 1.4 UDC on or off etc I still get dropouts and it's pretty damn annoying, Spoken with LG and they are apparently passing my case on to their software team.

Chorazin

Waiting for an update to the 49UF850V as currently no matter how I change things HDCP - Auto or 1.4 UDC on or off etc I still get dropouts and it's pretty damn annoying, Spoken with LG and they are apparently passing my case on to their software team.

That's weird, I thought most of their TVs from the last two years used the same OS?

Blizzje

Very rare occassional black screen on my KS8000/PS4PRO. Didn't happen for two weeks straight when wife and I were gaming maybe 6 hours a day.

Yesterday during a random YouTube video spotted a black screen. Audio kept going, but I have it connected via optical. Also switched HDMI cables but no difference.

Very rare occassional black screen on my KS8000/PS4PRO. Didn't happen for two weeks straight when wife and I were gaming maybe 6 hours a day.

Yesterday during a random YouTube video spotted a black screen. Audio kept going, but I have it connected via optical. Also switched HDMI cables but no difference.

This is a HDCP2.2 issue the ps4 pro still has.

If you disable HDCP it won't happen, but some video content can't be played.

Rob_27

Spoke to LG at the weekend, they said it was a problem with the PS4 Pro HDCP 2.2 communicating with the TV quick enough. LG are working on a firmware that wont bork all 2.2 when the PS4 Pro is fixed.

Spoke to LG at the weekend, they said it was a problem with the PS4 Pro HDCP 2.2 communicating with the TV quick enough. LG are working on a firmware that wont bork all 2.2 when the PS4 Pro is fixed.

My TV only takes 1.4 and I still get the same issue, LG are coming out to replace my main board to see if that fixes things, else looks like a replacement TV which I won't mind as the 2016 sets have HDR on my model now 850V

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
HDCP set to automatic does not work with my LG UH610 either. Gonna replace it in a few days, with another brand for sure.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Oh wow I had this issue couldn't figure out why the first few times I turned it on. If I changed the input on the tv and came back it would be a blank screen with just sound. The fix was to turn the tv off and the console. Turn the tv on then the console. Havent had a problem since though, must be lucky.

Yep, I mentioned this in the ps pro thread but I had the same issue with my vizio tv. I fixed it now by following the instructions on the first page, but what a pain in the ass regardless.

This fix probably won't work for everyone, but it worked for me and made me feel dumb.

I have a PS4Pro and a 2016 M50-D1 and sometimes get a blank screen with only audio when switching on HDR in both streaming apps and games (occasionally I've gotten snow/static but unfortunately this doesn't fix that).

My Pro settings show that my tv is 2K/4K and HDR compatible. FFXV has been easiest to test HDR/resolution combinations even with a blank screen because of the simple menu, so I have been playing around with the settings.

In the FFXV menu when I turn on HDR on Low resolution mode, I get static. When turning on HDR on High mode, the screen goes black and the menu music continues.

I've realized that after switching on HDR in High mode, I have to change the picture mode away from the current mode and back for the image to show on the screen.

A similar thing also happens when streaming Netflix Dolby Vision shows, but there the image is just barely visible until I switch picture modes and then the image appears correctly. It's actually how I figured this out, since the Netflix logo screen was extremely dark and the colors were off.

Kudo

Sony really needs to fix this issue, it's annoying to go through all the loops everytime this problem shows its head.
Any chance of them actually doing so?

Kremzeek

I have this HDCP handshaking issue too, HDMI cable directly plugged in to Samsung KS8000.

Sometimes I go into PS4 system settings & just disable HDCP.

Also I feel like it's more stable if I turn the TV on first, wait a good 10 seconds, then turn on PS4. Seems to mess up more if I turn PS4 on before turning on TV....

The Goat

I just started having this issue with my Pro on my LG B6. It's maddening! It first happened after hooking up PSVR, but was intermittent. A flash, occasionally, like ever 10-20 minutes. At times, it would even run fine, not a single black screen flash for an entire session. Now though? I can't even see my dash when the system boots up. Even resetting the Pro doesn't fix it.

It definitely has something to do with HDR games. Before booting my PS4, I bypassed the PSVR and went directly into my receivers HDMI port from the Pro (all 2.2 compliant ports and certified HDMI cables). I booted up TLG, and as it was loading, my TV (like always) shows that HDR is being enabled, and then it hung on a black screen, with the HDR dialog box flashing, and the picture going in and out, sometimes with snow/static. I rebooted the TV, and was able to get back to the dash and power cycle the Pro. It booted back to the shitty black flickering -_-

I killed TLG, and the flickering stopped, instantly. So, for now, I'm disabling HDR on the Pro until I and/or Sony/LG figures out the problem. I also ordered an HDMI coupler and shorter 3 ft 18gps HDMI cables to hopefully help with the issue.

Really bummed if I can't get it stable before Horizon drops. I need my HDR for it!

I just started having this issue with my Pro on my LG B6. It's maddening! It first happened after hooking up PSVR, but was intermittent. A flash, occasionally, like ever 10-20 minutes. At times, it would even run fine, not a single black screen flash for an entire session. Now though? I can't even see my dash when the system boots up. Even resetting the Pro doesn't fix it.

It definitely has something to do with HDR games. Before booting my PS4, I bypassed the PSVR and went directly into my receivers HDMI port from the Pro (all 2.2 compliant ports and certified HDMI cables). I booted up TLG, and as it was loading, my TV (like always) shows that HDR is being enabled, and then it hung on a black screen, with the HDR dialog box flashing, and the picture going in and out, sometimes with snow/static. I rebooted the TV, and was able to get back to the dash and power cycle the Pro. It booted back to the shitty black flickering -_-

I killed TLG, and the flickering stopped, instantly. So, for now, I'm disabling HDR on the Pro until I and/or Sony/LG figures out the problem. I also ordered an HDMI coupler and shorter 3 ft 18gps HDMI cables to hopefully help with the issue.

Really bummed if I can't get it stable before Horizon drops. I need my HDR for it!

I'm not sure it's to do with HDR, I get the issue in PSVR and that's not carrying a HDR signal at all. Honestly though Sony really do need to sort it, games like DRIVECLUB VR losing sight for nearly ten seconds is no good, also games like Werewolves Within when you cannot hear anything being said for the same period of time is a problem too.

Mascot

In the PS4 video settings, turn 'auto detect' off and just select the resolution of your TV as the default. That solved the problem for me on my 1080p Samsung, so your 4k set might be different..

For what it's worth, I haven't had this issue since upgrading to the 4.5 beta and the newest PSVR beta firmware. Before doing so, I'd get intermittent black screens on my TV when booting software, or visual/audio dropouts within five minutes of starting a PSVR session, both remedied by power cycling my console. Haven't needed to do that since 4.5.

For what it's worth, I haven't had this issue since upgrading to the 4.5 beta and the newest PSVR beta firmware. Before doing so, I'd get intermittent black screens on my TV when booting software, or visual/audio dropouts within five minutes of starting a PSVR session, both remedied by power cycling my console. Haven't needed to do that since 4.5.

I've not updated to 4.5 ver 4 yet but the issue still remains on ver 3 with my Pro/PSVR/Bravia XD800

Mascot

I've not updated to 4.5 ver 4 yet but the issue still remains on ver 3 with my Pro/PSVR/Bravia XD800

Have you tried disabling auto-detect of resolution output?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
As I posted in the main PS4 pro thread, anyone else getting issues with a 65x850d Sony tv? Sound and picture drops out frequently and one HDMI port doesn't even work at 4k.

As I posted in the main PS4 pro thread, anyone else getting issues with a 65x850d Sony tv? Sound and picture drops out frequently and one HDMI port doesn't even work at 4k.

I get the drop outs, but I'm on an 49XD8077 will be trying this turn off auto resolution option to see if it helps.

PrinceKee

Need to try this when I get off. Mine had been flashing black occasionally now. I need to see if my pro displays 4k without my psvr. Because at launch it didn't and I just left it hooked up to the breakout box for 4k...

Mascot

Useless! Haha!

I think it's the same root cause, an issue with the resolution auto-detect. My blackouts were my PS Pro switching between 720p and 1080p for reasons unknown. Now that I've told it to always output 1080p the problem has vanished. Should also work on a 4k set?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Have you tried disabling auto-detect of resolution output?

I need to try this, too! I've had the black flickering screen issue (only when the console is first started up) since I got my Pro and am not using a 4K TV. Am playing on a 1080P monitor.

The Goat

In the PS4 video settings, turn 'auto detect' off and just select the resolution of your TV as the default. That solved the problem for me on my 1080p Samsung, so your 4k set might be different..

I'm sure I've tried this, but I will double check. I'm desperate for any solution. Thanks for the suggestion!

f@luS

More than a member.
It's happening still for me after latest firmware on my lg oled and PS4 pro (not beta fw )

It's not just hdr switch on games that does it. Sometimes I just turn on my PS4 pro and my tv ... yet no signal on tv. I need to turn off then on again the tv to see something. Strange

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I need to try this, too! I've had the black flickering screen issue (only when the console is first started up) since I got my Pro and am not using a 4K TV. Am playing on a 1080P monitor.
That stupid fix actually fixed it! Sony you screwed up!

Top Bottom