• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The multi-stage fitness test will start in five seconds AKA the beep test

That feeling when you were the last 2-3 and girls were looking. Funny how prideful and show-off 10-13 years old can be. "She will like me cause I am the best at this stupid exercise. Just 10 more beeps".

I posted this in an old 'pacer test' thread that died earlier than it should have. I think it's prevalent to this thread.

At the school I previously worked at ( currently on child rearing leave) the admins tried to have all the staff professional days have a specific theme for the year. One year it was "Fitness and Fun First!" where emphasis was put on activities and outside the box learning rather than book work. We were given old copies of the standardized tests so we could know what it was like. We read aloud as a group to remind us that reading aloud in front of people for long periods of time sucks.

We also ran The Pacer.

40 or so staff members of varying ages and health backgrounds were told one muggy August afternoon to bring clothes "that we felt okay moving around in" and a water bottle with us the next day. The innocuous message ended with a request to meet in the gym the next day at 8 a.m. We were all so young and innocent back then. Texts and emails were sent back and forth between excited staff members. Memories and ideas of "Hungry Hungry Hippos" or using the gym scooters in some type of fun relay.

As staff began to arrive in various stages of old school event shirts and summer-themed leggings, (Note: I abstained from the leggings. Not because it would have made my ass look majestic, but because I'm a guy and you are out of your mind if you think I'm going to pass up a chance to wear basketball shorts to work.) we realized what hell we have shown up to. After the principal explained what was about to happen, and the gym teacher mouthed "I'm sorry" to various staff members, we were off.

The next 20 minutes and change proceeded to ruin any previous happy staff day memory I had. I emerged a sweatier, exhausted man who had lost his faith in modern education.

KillLaCam

Banned
Those were fun tests, I think we always did the PACER . I'd always lose to the 2 or 3 track ppl in the class though. I kinda wish we had those in college just to see how ppl would do

CSJ

I hate the stop starting, I have an issue lately with my lower left calf and it's worse off with stop starting on either foot. Just make me run in a straight line damnit :(

Beep test was so much fun. Everyone in my PE classes loved it. One dude loved it so much he sprinted outside into the hallway around the 16 mark to drink.

Highest scorer didn't have to run 5k that day and could choose what game we'd play.

Strax

I'm genuinely shocked hearing people only having to do it a few times a semester.

It's designed to do like 4-6 times a year to see where people stand in certain aspects of fitness and their progress. Doing it once a month, let alone once a week is kinda stupid imo.

It was called the pacer test for me but yeah it fucking sucked. Luckily I was in good shape in those days so I could go pretty far.

daveo42

Banned
I think the last high school gym class I took (10th grade, we only had to take one quarter of PE to graduate) we did the timed mile run. I did a mile in 7mins and while I was overweight then, it was probably the fastest I had ever ran a mile. Still came in last.

Not sure if it's still a thing, but we had the Presidential Test (?) in late elementary and middle school to see how fit you were by a number of different metrics. Rope climb, chin-ups, running, sit-ups, push-ups, and a handful of other things. I never did well at those during school, but I was always a fat kid.

We did this about once or twice a year I think. But not even every year. Don't think there was any logic behind it and just if the teacher of that year thought it would be fun.

Did this once in my junior year of high school. Absolutely hated it and I gave up after level 6 or 7

We also had to do a 12 minute run about 4 times every year. That's where you get 12 minutes to run as many laps around the gym as you could. Hated that shit too

Yeah the 12 min run is called the cooper test. I still can't crack the 7.5 laps.

shira

Honestly think that kids should be pushed much harder in gym class. No child should be unfit if there is a course dedicated to having them fit.

I like the beep test. Great exercise!
As a school test I don't think it's useful.

It's basically a VO2 max test and 99% of the kids can't breathe properly
The deck is stacked against almost the entire class before you even begin.

Unless you are training to be an athlete or lived in a Kenyan type atmosphere there is no way a regular kid can score well. There would be no reason for a regular kid to stress themselves this hard in any gym class.

It's a serious reality check for fitness when you get to the last few levels. That's like Olympic or professional athlete level breathing.

Ruruja

Loved doing this, used to get to like level 13 or 14 and be one of the last few.

The beeps above those levels always seemed ridiculously fast and I wondered who on earth could do them.

Mortemis

Banned
Did this through middle school, and it wasn't that bad tbh. I was almost always one of the last people left doing it, can't remember what levels I got to though.

In high school all we did was a mile every few months, never did the pacer.

Never heard of this at all. Went to school in So Cal (and High School in Bakersfield, CA.)

Strange.

Reminds me of suicides, though, which I despise.

Whenever it came down to me and 3-4 other people I'd give up, because I don't like people looking at me. Never found out how long I could really go.

What really killed me during school was man-bar for weight training. You had to take the bar with no weight on it (it weighs 45 pounds itself) and work out the whole period with it. You weren't allowed to set it down.

Top Bottom