• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";244009935]I play every competitive format.[/QUOTE]

Great. While I don't traditionally enjoy standard, I'm in the same boat. My legacy deck choices would be restricted to DNT variants, but I do like playing it.

ultron87

Both GPs near Cincinnati are Team Limited. Weird. Got to train a third up. I've got one friend I'd feel pretty confident playing with, but the other one I'd probably go with is a notoriously slow player.

bigkrev

It's been 3 years since the last Grand Prix in/near Philadelphia, but Pittsburgh has gotten one each of the last 3 years....

I think that the closest place they hold GPs to me is either Baltimore or New York, which are about equal distance away from Philly. Pittsburgh is a 6ish hour drive from Philly!

traveler

Not Wario
Sorry, but if you're on the East Coast, I don't have a ton of sympathy for your situation. :p

You guys get the SCG circuit AND way more WotC tourneys. I'm happy when I can get a sub 3-hour flight to a GP, nevermind a short drive.

OnPoint

Sorry, but if you're on the East Coast, I don't have a ton of sympathy for your situation. :p

You guys get the SCG circuit AND way more WotC tourneys. I'm happy when I can get a sub 3-hour flight to a GP, nevermind a short drive.

No one should have to have sympathy or not for anyone. They should be reaching the whole of the country with events.

Basically My sentiment, with the added bonus of being Canadian. Seattle/Vancouver are the two GP Cities I can reach easiest, but with the added bonus of being a mostly broke student.

Basically, if GP Van isn't a thing for 2018, I'll be not going to any events(unless I hit a windfall and get $2000 to dump on Legacy), which is just sucky.

noquarter

Sucks about Hawaii too, never get any big tournaments, unless you count FNM a tournament.

Have at least a 6 hour flight to the closest one. Will be sad when I leave DMV area and go back that way.

traveler

Not Wario
The gambling thing is super stupid. I had all of my Pokemon cards- literally hundreds of dollars of stuff- confiscated off me during break in middle school when I had no clue what gambling even was, much less participated in it. Stuff was never returned either.

I have no tolerance for adults who lack the simple reasoning facilities necessary to comprehend that not all pieces of cardboard are used the same way.

No one should have to have sympathy or not for anyone. They should be reaching the whole of the country with events.

+1

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I want to go to Santa Clara just to be in a GAF team.

How does that format work? Three people on a team and Standard/Modern/Legacy split between them? Are there rules about cards appearing in multiple decks? I'm in the area and could get a trio together pretty easily. The only hard part would be finishing my Legacy Lands deck (and convincing someone to play Standard).

Wulfric

The new GP schedule looks pretty good for a Midwesterner. I just hope we get another Rosemont or Madison GP in the second half of the year. Not flying saves so much money.

Considering these for next year:
Indianapolis
Seattle - Legacy
Las Vegas

hermit7

Pretty pleased about having 2 gps in Phoenix within a year.

Realistically it seems that they should be yearly here considering the huge population and lack of cities in the southwest region that can have them.

I don't care for ether format (limited in oct, standard in march) but it's good to see.

Haven't been to one so I am excited to go and jam some edh with new people or hit up some side events.

Korgill

Pretty pleased about having 2 gps in Phoenix within a year.

Realistically it seems that they should be yearly here considering the huge population and lack of cities in the southwest region that can have them.

I don't care for ether format (limited in oct, standard in march) but it's good to see.

Haven't been to one so I am excited to go and jam some edh with new people or hit up some side events.

Las Vegas? But they are also getting another one next year so maybe there's enough demand for both to be yearly.

Justin

What Pro Tour starts next weekend? It continues to baffle me that Wizards just takes a month off of any mtg coverage.

Its the Hour of Devastation Pro Tour so it will be draft and standard. I think they only do 4 pro tours a year. Between the GPs and SCG events there is something almost every weekend though. They did take release week off.

Its the Hour of Devastation Pro Tour so it will be draft and standard. I think they only do 4 pro tours a year. Between the GPs and SCG events there is something almost every weekend though. They did take release week off.
The last event streamed by Wizards was cleveland 3 weeks ago. They'll probably stream the limited GP that's the last chance to qualify for the PT starting saturday but limited GPs are the worst, especially day 1 sealed.

bigkrev

The last event streamed by Wizards was cleveland 3 weeks ago. They'll probably stream the limited GP that's the last chance to qualify for the PT starting saturday but limited GPs are the worst, especially day 1 sealed.

I mean, there hasn't been a GP since Cleveland. There is usually a 3ish week break for new sets coming out- it's an extra week longer for this set

So the sword of dungeons and dragons is straight from unstable if the hascon promos weren't lame enough already.

I mean if you hate silver-bordered cards across the board this should have literally no bearing whatsoever on your feelings about the card??

It's an alternate promo version with special art and a special token.

Crocodile

It seems some Commander 2017 art was leaked on MTGS? It seems the 4 tribes are:

114iCFZ.png
Cats

Dragons

Vampires

and Clerics?

These are assessments made from the images. First two we already know about. Third seems like an obvious guess. Last one is the least clear.

noquarter

It better be Mardu for Vampires. If they just give another RB Vampire Legend keeping Sorins most recent printings out I'm going to be pissed.

Wulfric

is that a Volkan Baga vampire? love that art.

It has to be, with those faces and the architecture. He loves those cathedral style backgrounds.

As for the others:
Cat - Jesper Ejsing (traditional)
Dragon - Tyler Jacobson? (definitely digital)
Cleric(?) - Another digital piece, considering the background. But looking at the face, I'm gonna guess Karla Ortiz. She looks a lot like Tesya to me.

Not even a little bit psyched about Clerics as a choice here, but a card for Edgar Markov makes up for it.

If the last deck really is clerics @Vronos is gonna be giving away a foil Sacred Foundry, lol.

Sweet, I love Clerics. I put together a 60 card casual Cleric deck and it's a lot of fun. Interesting to see where they take the tribe since normally the Clerics are doing non-combat damage, no? And normally to a single Player.

This has to mean either Dictate of Erebos or Grave Pact is in, right? Ideally both. I bought my Grave Pacts a couple years ago, but damn that card is good and I would buy more if the price went down lol.

EDIT: I guess the Clerics bring themselves back when the board is clear and swing pretty hard as a group. Not to mention, your opponents can't stick creatures for long with saccing, etc. so they do swing.

I wouldn't be super surprised to see the vampire commander go all the way up to four colors to fold in the weird Ravnica vampires, but I'm not holding my breath.

I am proper excited, regardless.

Pretty reasonable case on Twitter that the cleric legend is Vaylesh, the priestess of Tourach:

I wouldn't be super surprised to see the vampire commander go all the way up to four colors to fold in the weird Ravnica vampires, but I'm not holding my breath.

For that deck you're probably looking at Rakdos, or possibly Grixis or Mardu. Zero chance they'll do four colors after what it took to do that in C16, and it wouldn't fit Edgar Markov at all anyway.

I doubt they'd ship him as Rakdos when they have a White Vampires setting in the pipe and already had the Zendikar ones kind of putzing things up. They already printed Jelava at three colors in BRU anyway.

Bandini

I have the worst habit. Always making dumb mistakes right near the end of the game where I should squeak by. Practice makes perfect I guess.

I doubt they'd ship him as Rakdos when they have a White Vampires setting in the pipe and already had the Zendikar ones kind of putzing things up.

Innistrad vampires are Rakdos though and that's what Edgar is. The cat guy being green/white shows they're not feeling bound to cover every relevant color with these.

Innistrad vampires are Rakdos though and that's what Edgar is. The cat guy being green/white shows they're not feeling bound to cover every relevant color with these.

I mean, Jelava's an Innistrad vampire too and she gets Blue anyway, because Commander as a product is more about giving players what they want than being needlessly rigid about the lore or whatever.

And I don't think players are going to be particularly impressed by (yet another) Rakdos Vampire Commander. Ain't nobody turning out for that, even easy marks for tribal decks like me.

OnPoint

I mean, Jelava's an Innistrad vampire too and she gets Blue anyway, because Commander as a product is more about giving players what they want than being needlessly rigid about the lore or whatever.

And I don't think players are going to be particularly impressed by (yet another) Rakdos Vampire Commander. Ain't nobody turning out for that, even easy marks for tribal decks like me.

Yeah, but by that logic then we wouldn't have missteps like Ludevic in C16. NOBODY thought he should be UR only, or that his abilities made any sense. There's no real guarantee here, is all I'm saying.

I'd guess Mardu for Edgar but I wouldn't be surprised for Grixis or Rakdos either.

Yeef

Yeah, but by that logic then we wouldn't have missteps like Ludevic in C16. NOBODY thought he should be UR only, or that his abilities made any sense. There's no real guarantee here, is all I'm saying.

I'd guess Mardu for Edgar but I wouldn't be surprised for Grixis or Rakdos either.
Theoretically, they learned their lesson form Ludevic. What happened there was, they designed a bunch of faceless partner cards then pigeon-holed known characters in after the fact. That's why Ludevic feels so disconnected with what we knew about him beforehand. I have to imagine they've learned from that mistake and won't make it again going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom