• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Blu-Ray fix coming

Schnauzer

Good news Xbox One X fans. A fix is coming.

There is some good news on the horizon. Let's hope the fix works. Now if only we can get Dolby Vision too.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/929893563516706816[/tweet]

Schnauzer

Good to hear. Didn't even know there was an issue.

Hopefully that's because people are playing games.

I compared two 4K movies side by side. (Power Rangers and Mad Max)

The difference between the Xbox One X, Sony X800 and Oppo was mind blowing. It was like I was watching a non HDR movie on the Xbox One X. Really glad it's getting fixed.

Really hope we can convince Microsoft to add a Dolby Vision patch as well. Even if it's a paid app.

Power Rangers:
Oppo (Dolby Vision) > X800 (HDR 10) >>>> Xbox One X.

MrBenchmark

It better not re break black levels for 4k bluray on non hdr TVs it took me months of bitching to get that shit fixed!

I saw this but I also didn't know there was an issue. I watched an episode of Planet Earth 2 HD Blu Ray the other day on the X and didn't notice a problem. Then again my only other reference is the One-S. I don't watch enough movies to pay $200 for a standalone player.

Glad to see it's getting addressed, regardless.

Schnauzer

I saw this but I also didn't know there was an issue. I watched an episode of Planet Earth 2 HD Blu Ray the other day on the X and didn't notice a problem. Then again my only other reference is the One-S. I don't watch enough movies to pay $200 for a standalone player.

Glad to see it's getting addressed, regardless.

S is the other player that suffers this issue on release.

The TV I tested on was the LG - OLED65B6P and TCL 607P. Was the crushed blacks on the S ever fixed? I sold mine so I cannot compare.

GrazGamer

It is out if you are an insider.

I signed up this morning specifically for it and can confirm black levels are back to normal.

I believe when you sign up as an insider you join the omega path which is effectively release candidates which will follow soon after, so a day of two.

Raptomex

I have yet to watch any 4K blu-rays but when I watched a standard blu-ray on my standard Xbox One, it was years ago, and I remember there being some kind of audio sync issue. I never looked to deep into it since I had other ways to watch blu-rays but I should really try again.

I'm surprised that something like this slipped through their QA. 4k is a driving selling point of the console, afterall. I hope that they improve their internal procedures so that core functionality isn't detrimentally affected in a major updates going forwards :/.

I'm surprised that something like this slipped through their QA. 4k is a driving selling point of the console, afterall. I hope that they improve their internal procedures so that core functionality isn't detrimentally affected in a major updates going forwards :/.

I don't think the 4K part was affected, just the black levels. Even then, many of us were completely unaware that there was a problem even after watching UHD blu-ray discs, so I can see how it might get through. Let me be clear that I am not making excuses, since we should expect perfection from our products.

I don't believe you know the development process. So quick to blame QA. We don't know how it came to this point. This could have an issue where it was caught by the QA team and then developers and managers decided that they could postpone/delay a fix to meet their internal deadlines.

rokkerkory

Not sure we can blame QA here. Might have been QA that is discovered and helping to formulate a fix for a future iteration but leadership was okay to ship the product in current state.

Uhtred

I watched Blade Runner, and did notice it was not right. It will be cool to see when this rolls out to the common people.

This doesn't seem fixed at all. The grayish blacks are still there and I have a Philips 4k player from last year that looks much better in the same scenes.

styl3s

This doesn't seem fixed at all. The grayish blacks are still there and I have a Philips 4k player from last year that looks much better in the same scenes.
The UHD drive isn't nearly as good as standalone drives and i don't know if it's a cost thing thing because my sony x800 player looks way better and the oppo looks even more better.

Most people who don't care about this stuff won't really notice to begin with my friends who aren't AV geeks are still amazed at UHD films on their xbox one s/x.

RPS37

I watched the first episode of planet earth 2 the day after the x came out and it looked amazing.

Bickle2

The UHD drive isn't nearly as good as standalone drives and i don't know if it's a cost thing thing because my sony x800 player looks way better and the oppo looks even more better.

Most people who don't care about this stuff won't really notice to begin with my friends who aren't AV geeks are still amazed at UHD films on their xbox one s/x.

The drive has nothing to do with the image. It’s a data transport only.

But yes, dedicated players look much better, because they’re made by actual A/V companies.

Cranberrys

I started using my Xbox One as my main BR Player since the S and I currently use a Sony 65ZD9 and a One X plugged into a Sony HT-CT800 for audio then to TV to Watch/listen my movies and my blacks are inky not grey, they were never grey, I mean I would have noticed that. Is this an issue with all TV or just some specific models ?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I started using my Xbox One as my main BR Player since the S and I currently use a Sony 65ZD9 and a One X plugged into a Sony HT-CT800 for audio then to TV to Watch/listen my movies and my blacks are inky not grey, they were never grey, I mean I would have noticed that. Is this an issue with all TV or just some specific models ?
At launch it was an issue with the firmware, but Microsoft fixed it in an update.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
yeah but supposedly the one disc that is still shit is that earth 2 uhd disk
even after updates it wont play,

and yes i want that thing to work i collect bbc documentaries

octiny

Banned
They need to fix Atmos. Latest Preview update essentially borked all Dolby Surround upmixing for non-atmos content, since now the One X puts your AVR in Atmos mode at ALL times no matter the content...and because of that, you can't switch to Dolby Surround upmixing on non-atmos content...rendering those extra speaker useless. I've submitted the issue to MS, hopefully they fix the bug. Native Atmos content is fine fyi.

Top Bottom