• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My neighbor coughs like a mf yet still smokes a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterTots

Banned
I think he has emphysema or something. I really don't care what anyone does with their body but it is affecting me. I live in an apartment complex and he lives in the next building over. He always hangs out outside very early in the morning in the space between his building and mine, sometimes as early as 6 am and talks on Skype with his relatives in Europe.

I don't mind the talking because I can close my window and put on earplugs because of the time difference and all that. It's when he starts having a coughing fit is when it really bothers me. He coughs like he has an elephant stuck in his throat and lungs. It's more disturbing than annoying to be honest. Like he sounds he would just keel over during one of his coughing fit. He also still smokes because whenever I look over while he is talking outside, he has a cigarette in his hand, and he seem to smoke a lot. At least two to three cigs a day.

I understand that city living will have quirks like this but what else can I do? Would it be weird to tell him to maybe stop smoking and do something about his cough? For the sake of his health, at the very least but we aren't even that close.

edit: oops, my bad. Please move to OT.

2-3 cigs a day is a lot? I know people that smoke nearly 2 packs a day and cough their ass off. Unfortunately, if you do not know him that well, it would be extremely odd to tell him that. Living in apartments suck. I hate hearing noise from my neighbors. I want to be isolated lol.

So do you want to tell him just because he annoys you or because you're actually concerned about him? Do you ever go out of your way to talk to him? Not to tell him to stop or anything but just so shoot the shit?

kyser73

I think he has emphysema or something. I really don't care what anyone does with their body but it is affecting me. I live in an apartment complex and he lives in the next building over. He always hangs out outside very early in the morning in the space between his building and mine, sometimes as early as 6 am and talks on Skype with his relatives in Europe.

I don't mind the talking because I can close my window and put on earplugs because of the time difference and all that. It's when he starts having a coughing fit is when it really bothers me. He coughs like he has an elephant stuck in his throat and lungs. It's more disturbing than annoying to be honest. Like he sounds he would just keel over during one of his coughing fit. He also still smokes because whenever I look over while he is talking outside, he has a cigarette in his hand, and he seem to smoke a lot. At least two to three cigs a day.

I understand that city living will have quirks like this but what else can I do? Would it be weird to tell him to maybe stop smoking and do something about his cough? For the sake of his health, at the very least but we aren't even that close.

edit: oops, my bad. Please move to OT.

You answer your own question. People noises are part of city life.

Be thankful he isn't playing banging techno at 2am every night.

terrible

Banned
My Mom smoked pretty much right up until her death from lung cancer. My dad is currently pretty much doing the same. Addiction is a crazy thing.

badblue

Gold Member
He also still smokes because whenever I look over while he is talking outside, he has a cigarette in his hand, and he seem to smoke a lot. At least two to three cigs a day.

Smoking is extremely addictive. And quitting is hard.

When I did smoked, I'd smoke 2-3 in a 15 minute coffee break.

Dolobill

My coworker had heart surgery and takes blood thinners but still has the saltiest diet I've ever seen. He brings KFC to work and douses his chicken in salt because there's "no taste" without it.

Guys, he likely smokes more than two to three cigs a day. I just didn't want to assume he smokes more because I haven't seen it in person nor do I spend all day watching him smoke.

So do you want to tell him just because he annoys you or because you're actually concerned about him? Do you ever go out of your way to talk to him? Not to tell him to stop or anything but just so shoot the shit?

Both. Just don't know how to approach it since I don't know him that well. Like I'll feel weird if I just befriend him then say 'hey, maybe you should stop smoking while you're at it That can't be good for your health. And it's really loud.'

Kelsdesu

This is my same exact situation. Homeboy been coughing for months and still goes outside to smoke. Drives me crazy because.

Rembrandt

Banned
It would be weird as hell. Mind your business aka "welcome to the city."

That's just how strong nicotine addiction is sadly.

True. Cigarettes are great but it's an annoying habit. It's really one of the lightest addictions you can have and it comes with it benefits and negatives.

Nokterian

2-3 cigs a day is a lot? I know people that smoke nearly 2 packs a day and cough their ass off. Unfortunately, if you do not know him that well, it would be extremely odd to tell him that. Living in apartments suck. I hate hearing noise from my neighbors. I want to be isolated lol.

When i was smoking (stopped 6,5 years right now) 2 to 4 packs every few days. I smoked a lot even worse in the weekend. Also that cough? I had it also a real sign that your lungs are affected by it even my grandpa and neighbour where coughing like a madman. It got even worse when i visited my grandpa he coughed so loud and long he only could say a few words and rinse repeat.

My neighbour had it also and yes it was so loud as it could get glad i don't smoke anymore this is one of those things that affects your lungs in terrible ways.

Why not just ask him about it, like "Are you ok?
Because whenever I hear you in the morning coughing outside it sounds really bad."

You imply that you hear him, you imply that it is more than noticeable, yet you tell him that you somehow care for him.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My boss and a coworker both cough like they're about to throw up an organ any minute but they both still smoke like a pack a day.

Smokers don't care.

My boss in particular has photographs of the interior of his lungs and they've got a nice gray color and everything and even with photographic evidence of the damage he's done to his body he just continues on.

Edit: I think they're actually in the work Dropbox if anyone wants to see them, he's weirdly proud of it.

True. Cigarettes are great but it's an annoying habit. It's really one of the lightest addictions you can have and it comes with it benefits and negatives.

Lol man that sounds like a smoker's description of cigarettes and nicotine addiction. Ya they're super duper alright. What a joke.

Wvrs

Visit any cancer ward/hospice and you'll see people still smoking even when it has literally given them cancer. Saw it too many times when I went to visit my Grandma. As someone who has smoked myself in the past, and only for a couple of years, quitting was one of the hardest exercises in mental fortitude I've ever had to go through. Don't trivialise it unless you've gone through it too, and even then acknowledge that addiction affects everyone differently.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
My boss and a coworker both cough like they're about to throw up an organ any minute but they both still smoke like a pack a day.

Smokers don't care.

My boss in particular has photographs of the interior of his lungs and they've got a nice gray color and everything and even with photographic evidence of the damage he's done to his body he just continues on.

Edit: I think they're actually in the work Dropbox if anyone wants to see them
, he's weirdly proud of it.

I am very conflicted

Fox Mulder

Some people are fucking dumb. I saw so many people on oxygen smoking cigarettes in their homes when I installed cable.

brawly

We have a couple of people like that aswell at work. It's irritating.

18670852._SX540_.jpg

DiscoJer

My mother died from lung cancer and literally smoked on her deathbed. I guess at that point, there was no point to quitting, but still even before that, she was in the hospital for a heart bypass (also from smoking) and she made my father wheel her outside so she could smoke.

jercruz

I used to cough really really bad when I was still smoking.

Usually the smoking will suppress it for a while, then it will come back in full force. So you smoke another one to suppress it...

I was still coughing really bad 6 months after I quit, sometimes phlegm-y sometimes really dry. I think it only stopped a year after I quit.

My old flat mate used to smoke a lot. Not just cigs either. He would wake, bake, have a coffe and a cig, bake again and basically go on like that all day along.
Every morning I would hear him cough for like 10 minutes straight after he woke up, presumably because of all mucus in his throat and lungs. Of course he would cough sometimes during the rest of the day, but not as much.
I wonder if he still smokes, he knew what was happening back then, but simply chose to ignore it.

My sister's boyfriend is always hacking up a lung, and continues to smoke a pack a day. (and he has a young child at home). The dude is killing himself.

I wish quitting for others was easy as it was for me.

My sister's boyfriend is always hacking up a lung, and continues to smoke a pack a day. (and he has a young child at home). The dude is killing himself.

I wish quitting for others was easy as it was for me.

You'd think having a child would be enough for people to finally quit.

TheContact

My neighbor does too. He's in his 60s i would say. He smokes in front of my kids which really bothers me but he's been making a better effort to do it away from them but in the summer when the windows are open it just blows into my house. One time he was coughing bent over and his eyes rolled back in his head and he fell over unconscious for 10 seconds or so. We called 911 and he refused to be checked out, and he's still smoking. Ironically, his wife carries around an o2 tank because she smoked too much as well. One thing that really got to me is one day our carbon monoxide detector was going off so we had to call the fire dept and the EMTs came as well. We were stuck on our porch due to not being able to go inside and he came out and started smoking a cigarette while my wife and I were holding our kids. The EMT asked him to put it out and he wouldn't.

Gin-Shiio

Most smokers are absolutely lost within their addiction and lack the self-awareness. I know someone who's relative died of lung cancer, and his reaction to receiving the call was to go smoke a cigarette.

rainz

I read that as "coughs like a milf" initially lol... wtf..

+1 for seeing if he would be up for maybe being introduced to vaping..

LeleSocho

Banned

"great" "lightest addictions" "benefits"
VndHf34.gif

You'd think having a child would be enough for people to finally quit.

In my personal experiences, having a child has done little to curb smoking habits, outside of finding somewhere else to do it. Well, and to be fair, also lots of failed attempts at quitting.

My parents didn't stop until COPD (mother) and a heart attack (father, still really had to force his hand on that one. Go figure).

StayDead

This is my same exact situation. Homeboy been coughing for months and still goes outside to smoke. Drives me crazy because.

because what? Don't leave us hanging!

My Mum was in hospital with people at one stage in a lung ward. All smoking like chimneys despite the fact their lungs were in such bad shape they might die.

My old friends Mum had breast cancer and despite quitting so she could have the treatment, she started back up again straight after.

It's such an awful addictive substance and people find it near impossible to stop. My Mum smoked for 35 or so years, but thankfully after that stay at the hospital she never smoked again. Her willpower and what she saw put her off for good.

In my personal experiences, having a child has done little to curb smoking habits, outside of finding somewhere else to do it. Well, and to be fair, also lots of failed attempts at quitting.

My parents didn't stop until COPD (mother) and a heart attack (father, still really had to force his hand on that one. Go figure).

Me neither. I never smoked while the kids were around so they never saw me with one, never smoked inside either but quitting is hard, it's not a 'light addiction'. The only way I could kick it was with vape. Vaping has a scummy rep but it is literally saving lives.

Seirith

Guys, he likely smokes more than two to three cigs a day. I just didn't want to assume he smokes more because I haven't seen it in person nor do I spend all day watching him smoke.

Both. Just don't know how to approach it since I don't know him that well. Like I'll feel weird if I just befriend him then say 'hey, maybe you should stop smoking while you're at it That can't be good for your health. And it's really loud.'

I'm pretty sure he knows smoking is bad for him, he just doesn't care. You telling him will do nothing.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Pray tell, what are these benefits? Name one, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom