• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obscure toys, shows, movies from your childhood

neoemonk

PackagedListPic1a.jpg

I loved Battle Beasts. But not as much as

28pack.jpg

I was just about to post about MUSCLE. Loved those things.

Not a lot of people remember Zoids, but they were really sick. My older brother had a couple of the toys and I vaguely remember watching the anime on Cartoon Network. I also always played the (awful) Gamecube game. The designs of the mechs were great, and I especially liked the Liger Zero with it's modifications and dinosaur mechs. Shame it died both in Japan and in the West, but there's always some cool model kits to buy so I don't mind too much.

Oh, and the New Century Zero anime had a soundtrack by Kow Otani, the man who worked on Shadow of The Colossus and the Gamera trilogy of films in the 90's, so fans of his might enjoy it just for that.

kaiju

Thundarr the Barbarian was a pretty badass cartoon. Loved the post-apocalyptic setting, and the characters were designed by Jack Kirby.

9c88584c6fdff31018ae8fb6965aa465--the-barbarians-jack-kirby.jpg

Most obscure toy I had was probably Manglor Mountain. You dropped the Swamp Thing lookalike into the volcano, and a bunch of ooze would pour out. So metal.

manglor3.jpg

Amalthea

Banned
I still remember having Rock-Rocks, I think the tagline was: "They aren't pets, they aren't bots, they are just rocks!"

I totally made that up.

bosseye

The Gummi Bears image above got me - I'm 37 years old sitting in my kitchen and with one look the entire theme tune with all the words popped right back into my head. Saturday mornings as a kid right there.

Metalmarc

This one was one of my favorites but I think I vaguely remember another toy line that was kind of similar with a sci-fi military theme and magnets, but on a smaller scale. I can't tell if I'm just misremembering Starcom though.

Edit: oh yeah it was definitely Megaforce and I think I looked it up the last time a thread like this came around

vintage_kenner_mega_force_triax_xt_enforcer_2.jpg

Oh i thought you meant mantaforce, which was also similar and scifi ships
(Edit whoops no magnets my bad)

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

retroman

We owned this cool robot.

Alien_1-10.JPG

There was a microphone in the controller, and everything you said in it would be recited by the robot in a garbled robotic voice. I always tried to make it talk like Optimus Prime or Soundwave, but alas my squeaky voice wasn't up to the task.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
Now I’m trying to remember these two toys I had as a kid. One was a purple humanoid monster that would turn into a robotic spider, and th other was a weird gorilla creature that you’d turn into a roboic gorilla by sliding the face and arms.

Fou-Lu

What was that movie where a guy from our world kills an evil dragon with math? Then the princess comes back with him to earth to be with him. Basically the biggest nerd power fantasy ever.

Edit: It was called The Flight of Dragons. I loved that movie way too much as a kid. Along with The Last Unicorn and the Black Cauldron.

So I had the local Regina, SK news on the other night, and Ross Hull from Are You Afraid of the Dark

Is now doing the weather.

Times theyareachangin

at least it looked very much like him. He did Global news for a while so I think so

Quite possibly the most awesome-est show you could ever hope for as a kid! Good guys vs. bad guys fighting while riding tamed dinosaurs, with frigging laser beams attached to their heads!

dino-riders-banner-fbobs1w.jpg

Never had any of the toys but I did have a VHS of the first few episodes that I watched religiously.

And then there was this:

43478557stw.jpg

I bet every Finnish person who was a kid during the 80's and 90's remembers Hopeanuoli. It's an anime series that was heavily (seriously heavily) censored and cut into four movie length episodes. Tells the story of Gin, a dog who must gather an army of wild, and not so wild dogs to take on a man eating bear the size of a mountain. Those four vhs' were probably my favorite thing to watch as a kid. The uncut series is awesome too! Although there's probably some nostalgia involved.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
Was it gobots?
Searched them up, and they weren’t.
The spider guy had the spider shell and would fold his arms down his side, and the legs would fold into itself. Lay it on its stomach, and there’s your spider.
I played with them in the early 00’s, but don’t know if they were older than that.

For a very, very long time I would try to talk to people my age about Eerie, Indiana and no one knew what I was talking about.

Fortunately in the last few years it feels like people have remembered and found each other online because I see it come up a lot. I guess it doesn't count as much for this thread for that reason, but it feels like it was wiped from the public memory for a long time before returning.

I remember this coming out while I was still a huge Goosebumps fan, and thought it was inferior. The only thing I remember well about it is the episode in which a family slept in giant Tupperware containers.

Chuckie

This might be the perfect topic to ask:

Early 90s (or very late 80s) there were these single player games with different themes.

In one you had to save tiny astronauts from a blue alien that crept closer. I also remember one from the same toyline where you had to shoot barrels at a gorilla that was pretty similar to Donkey Kong.

There were even more, but those two were the ones I owned.

Please help!

Edit: I don't need your help GAF!

It was Milton Bradley's T.H.I.N.G.S.!

4.jpg

Edit 2: These are all of them

retroman

This might be the perfect topic to ask:

Early 90s (or very late 80s) there were these single player games with different themes.

In one you had to save tiny astronauts from a blue alien that crept closer. I also remember one from the same toyline where you had to shoot barrels at a gorilla that was pretty similar to Donkey Kong.

There were even more, but those two were the ones I owned.

Please help!

Edit: I don't need your help GAF!

It was Milton Bradley’s T.H.I.N.G.S.!

4.jpg

Edit 2: These are all of them
I loved those games! The one with the knight and the one with the gorilla were my favourites. I didn't know there were so many of them!

Shinypogs

Not a lot of people remember Zoids, but they were really sick. My older brother had a couple of the toys and I vaguely remember watching the anime on Cartoon Network. I also always played the (awful) Gamecube game. The designs of the mechs were great, and I especially liked the Liger Zero with it's modifications and dinosaur mechs. Shame it died both in Japan and in the West, but there's always some cool model kits to buy so I don't mind too much.

Oh, and the New Century Zero anime had a soundtrack by Kow Otani, the man who worked on Shadow of The Colossus and the Gamera trilogy of films in the 90's, so fans of his might enjoy it just for that.

I remember the anime fondly, never knew there was your and a game though.

Maximus.

Read these in third grade or so and they were the first series of books that got me hooked on reading:

myteacherseries.jpg

Wow, I don't know how I remember this, but I deff read the second book in this series randomly and loved it as a kid. It was a random library pick up.

I always wanted a superhuman samurai toy.

Pagemaster was my shit.

So I had the local Regina, SK news on the other night, and Ross Hull from Are You Afraid of the Dark

Is now doing the weather.

Times theyareachangin

at least it looked very much like him. He did Global news for a while so I think so

I still love this show.

hqdefault.jpg

Great toys. But by far the best thing about this franchise was the cartoon. Made be the same people as Reboot and Roughnecks.

51J0BSMA4PL.jpg

This show was crazy as a kid. Mainframe killed it with most of its shows during that time.

Khoryos

Now I’m trying to remember these two toys I had as a kid. One was a purple humanoid monster that would turn into a robotic spider, and th other was a weird gorilla creature that you’d turn into a roboic gorilla by sliding the face and arms.

Sounds like Beast Wars - The gorilla would be Optimus Primal, and the spider would be Tarantulas.

Aiii

So not worth it
GvVsEcZ.jpg

Had this for years, So many miles I put on it.. Wonder if this played a big role psychologically to make me love Porsches as an adult.

I had something similar to this. My favorite toy in the pre-computer + steering wheel era. I loved, loved, driving. Not cars, but I always just wanted to drive, I'd be in the backseat mimicking steering and using the gear lever as my dad was driving. I'd spend more time "driving" bumper cars than bumping other people, just trying to avoid people and swerving in between.

I have very vivid memories of getting this and playing with it. It was so good.

Lurch666

What was that movie where a guy from our world kills an evil dragon with math? Then the princess comes back with him to earth to be with him. Basically the biggest nerd power fantasy ever.

Edit: It was called The Flight of Dragons. I loved that movie way too much as a kid. Along with The Last Unicorn and the Black Cauldron.

The bit you remembered about beating the dragon with math is actually from the Phantom toll booth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Co7UZ02_0

Another great film from when I was a kid.

Top Bottom