• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Launch was pretty rushed on the software side. Motherboards need updated bios and whatnot. RAM issues with speed/timings. All that stuff. It's a new chip so this isnt new but they need to bust their asses off if the software side is holding them back

Thats what im betting on.

1700 faster than the 1800x, memory problems everywhere etc.

odjhh.jpg

MhL5R.gif
3DNews —— Review AMD Ryzen 7 1800X: do wait?! [Russian]

MhL5R.gif
3DMGame —— The king returns! Ruitron AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor starting test [Chinese]

MhL5R.gif
4Gamer —— Ryzen 7 1800X: What will the 8-core CPU of "Available Price" bring to gamers? [Japanese]

MhL5R.gif
Adrenaline —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X [BR-Portugese]

MhL5R.gif
AnandTech —— The AMD Zen and Ryzen 7 Review: A Deep Dive on 1800X, 1700X and 1700

MhL5R.gif
ArsTechnica —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X review: Good, but not for gamers

MhL5R.gif
Benchmark —— AMD on the offensive-processor test Ryzen 7 1800X [Polish]

MhL5R.gif
Bit-Tech —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and AM4 Platform Review

MhL5R.gif
Chiphell —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800x reviews [Chinese]

MhL5R.gif
Cnews.cz (formerly ExtraHardware) —— The wait is over AMD's Stamp the sale. Overview processors and previously unknown details [Czech]

MhL5R.gif
ComputerBase —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X, 1700 in the test: King in applications, Prince in games [German]

MhL5R.gif
Cowcotland —— Ryzen 7 1800 X AMD processor test [French]

MhL5R.gif
eTeknix —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X AM4 8-Core Processor Review

MhL5R.gif
Expreview —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X initial evaluation: Intel really wants to panic now [Chinese]

MhL5R.gif
ExtremeTech —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X reviewed: Zen is an amazing workstation chip with a 1080p gaming Achilles heel

MhL5R.gif
GamersNexus —— AMD Ryzen R7 1800X Review: An i5 in Gaming, i7 in Production

MhL5R.gif
Guru3D —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Review

MhL5R.gif
[H]ardOCP —— AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU Review

MhL5R.gif
Hardware.fr —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X in test, the return of AMD? [French]

MhL5R.gif
Hardware.info —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800x / 1700X review: finally competition for Intel [Dutch]

MhL5R.gif
HardwareCanucks —— The AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Performance Review

MhL5R.gif
Hardwareluxx —— 16 threads for 550 euros: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X in the test [German]

MhL5R.gif
HotHardware —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X, And 1700 Review And Benchmarks: Zen Brings The Fight Back To Intel

MhL5R.gif
Heise —— Eight core processor Ryzen 7 1800X in test [German]

MhL5R.gif
Hexus —— Review: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X (14nm Zen)

MhL5R.gif
iXBT —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Processor: The breakthrough, the need called for so long by Bolsheviks [Russian]

MhL5R.gif
KitGuru —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Review

MhL5R.gif
LAB501 —— Review AMD Ryzen 7 1800X – Welcome back AMD [Romanian]

MhL5R.gif
LanOC Reviews —— AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs

MhL5R.gif
LegitReviews —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X and 1700 Processor Review

MhL5R.gif
NordicHardware —— Test: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - Powerful but no gaming favorite [Norwegian]

MhL5R.gif
Les Numériques —— Ryzen: the great return of AMD in processors - Big progress, but is that enough? [French]

MhL5R.gif
Overclockers.com —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Review

MhL5R.gif
Overclockers Club —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X, and 1700 Processor Review

MhL5R.gif
PCGamesHardware —— Ryzen 7 1800X test: AMD's return to the high-end market [German]

MhL5R.gif
PCLab.pl —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - the first test processor microarchitecture of Zen - AMD back in the game [Polish]

MhL5R.gif
PC Perspective —— The AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Review: Now and Zen

MhL5R.gif
PC Watch (Impress) —— AMD "Ryzen 7 1800X" can break Intel's stronghold? [Japanese]

PCWorld —— Ryzen 7 1800X and Radeon Fury X: Building the water-cooled, fire-breathing apex of AMD power

MhL5R.gif
Phoronix —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Linux Benchmarks

MhL5R.gif
Planet3D —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Review - Part 1 [German]

MhL5R.gif
PureOverclock —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Preview: Initial Thoughts

MhL5R.gif
PurePC —— Test AMD Ryzen R7 1800X - Premiere of the new architecture! [Polish]

MhL5R.gif
SemiAccurate —— AMD’s Ryzen 7 1800X: A Ryzen Review - AMD finally brings Zen to PCs

MhL5R.gif
ServeTheHome —— AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Linux Benchmarks

MhL5R.gif
SweClockers —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and 7 1700X [Swedish]

MhL5R.gif
The Tech Report —— AMD's Ryzen 7 1800X, Ryzen 7 1700X, and Ryzen 7 1700 CPUs reviewed - Ryzen up, back on the street

MhL5R.gif
TechSpot —— AMD Ryzen Review: Ryzen 7 1800X & 1700X Put to the Test

MhL5R.gif
Tom's Hardware —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Review

MhL5R.gif
TweakPC —— Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5 with AMD Ryzen 7 1800X in test [German]

MhL5R.gif
TweakTown —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Review - Intel Battle Ready?

MhL5R.gif
Vortez —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Review

MhL5R.gif
VR Zone —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Review

MhL5R.gif
XFastest —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor test report / decisive multi-core return to glory [Chinese]

MhL5R.gif
ZOL —— AMD Ryzen processor first test [Chinese]

Hopefully there's truth to this claim and devs can implement these optimizations for future titles, but it's not going to fix the performance for games already launched and are not updated anymore.

The more I think about it, the best option for right now is to get 7700K, and sell it in a year or two for Zen+ or hypothetical affordable Intel 8 core. By that point these optimizations should be in play.

I kinda don't expect a lot of CPU optimization on the game dev side until Ryzen is in consoles...

It looks OK. Not amazing. Good for productivity. I'd still consider it if I were to do a Linux build with GPU passthrough. On Haswell so performance is adequate. I won't be upgrading until probably more the end of 2018 when hopefully Icelake is out and AMD is releasing new stuff. AMD is at least competitive in productivity so hopefully they can slice out something nice in the server and workstation market so they can continue on independently. Now to wait and see how Vega is

kotodama

Seems like AMD did it. Competitive now, but just needs a little more push on the Gaming side. Still good enough, especially if you're running older Intel and even older AMD CPUs. I'm going to wait for Ryzen to bake a little more, and perhaps do a Ryzen X Vega upgrade.

The future Ryzen+ should be interesting.

Overclocking seems to be at the 3.8 - 4.1ghz range. Dont expect massive overclocks. The good news is that the 1700 got nearly 4.1 ghz at overclockers club's review. The 1800x got 4 and 1700x was 3.9. They used a good liquid all in one cooler at max fan speeds to get it and voltages were north of 1.4.

Looks like it's the typical silicon loterry. Which is good for 1700 buyers.

Xenus

Seems like AMD did it. Competitive now, but just needs a little more push on the Gaming side. Still good enough, especially if you're running older Intel and even older AMD CPUs. I'm going to wait for Ryzen to bake a little more, and perhaps do a Ryzen X Vega upgrade.

The future Ryzen+ should be interesting.

Competitive is great step considering the pricing. I'm on skylake so I won't get one bt my brother is looking to update his old system to Ryzen. Hopefully they can claw back some market share and pump the money into R&D. Also will be interesting in a few months when the software issues start being ironed out and chips possibly start binning better where they stand.

prag16

Banned
Disappointing gaming benches especially after all the hype I was seeing for the past week.

This at least seems to get them back in the game compared to their situation prior to this launch; we'll see how much of the gap they can close via software.

But as a gamer looking for a new CPU, all I'd see is the $350 7700k stomping the $500 1800X. Which is a shame.

badb0y

That's a given, Intel had a similar problem in the beginning with their hyper-threading.
Disappointing gaming benches especially after all the hype I was seeing for the past week.

This at least seems to get them back in the game compared to their situation prior to this launch; we'll see how much of the gap they can close via software.

But as a gamer looking for a new CPU, all I'd see is the $350 7700k stomping the $500 1800X. Which is a shame.

If the main purpose of your computer is to play games i7 7700k is your best option. Ryzen seems to be filling the gap between Intel's HEDT and mainstream stack.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm very excited for these CPUs, I do gaming and I just want good performance at 1080p@60 but I mostly care about performance for my work since I do design and 2D/3D animation so this is perfect for me now.

I'm not thinking on OC (maybe later since I'm affraid to try it lol) nor I want more than 1 graphic card, will a B350 mobo be enough for me or is there some difference between that and a higher-end chipset? Does that have front USB 3.0 port or is that up to the manifacturer? I'm planning on getting this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WRWZNJC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

From the AMA:

Thanks for ordering a 1700. New architectures require time to optimize.... since "Zen" is a from scratch design, it requires some optimization. The important thing is that the base CPU performance is really really good as you can see form the Cinebench multi-threaded and single-threaded performance. You will see lots of patches coming from developers... and just think of all the things that can be done with 8 cores as developers really learn to use them. Thanks.

Hmmm

Is there any basis for excitement regarding potentially higher clocks on the R5 series? That seems to be the big killer right now. The R7 seems to be maxed out thermally at 4Ghz (with conventional methods) and they went as far as to solder on the heat spreader.

Less cores usually overclock better due to heat and power issues but you are looking at maybe 100-200 Mhz with same architecture.

From the AMA:

Hmmm

lol - I'm sure all those developers are just waiting to make massive rewrites of their game engines to use more cores

Micael

From what I have seen I am not too hopeful for AMD future here, yes they have managed to get a processor that is in competition with Intel offerings, which is genuinely amazing considering how far behind they were, however they aren't really surpassing what Intel can do, which means intel can easily price them out, and ofc with the exception of kaby lake which is clearly a single threaded focused processor (and winning at it), most of the processors that AMD is competing with are old offerings from intel, including the 6900k.

So good for consumers right now since we are getting some actual competition, but I would be surprised if AMD managed to keep up.

More reviews should also include the 6800k and 6850k since they are in the same price ranges of the 1800x, instead of just straight up comparing it to the 6900k

Lol how many times.

Unless you play at 1080p with a Titan X, the 7700K is not stomping anything. It's only in those extreme cicumstances that are designed to expose the differences between CPUs that there are noticeable differences. Unless you have a Titan X of course, then I would understand your point more.

At 4K benched with a Titan X, there is like 2-3fps difference between Ryzen and the fastest 4-core. This is the real-world scenario for people with a Titan X:

Gow4-4k.png

GTA-V-4k.png

witcher-3-4k.png

What graphics card do you own?

ezodagrom

Lol how many times.

Unless you play at 1080p with a Titan X, the 7700K is not stomping anything. It's only in those extreme cicumstances that are designed to expose the differences between CPUs that there are noticeable differences. Unless you have a Titan X of course, then I would understand your point more.

At 4K benched with a Titan X, there is like 2-3fps difference between Ryzen and the fastest 4-core. This is the real-world scenario for people with a Titan X:

Gow4-4k.png

GTA-V-4k.png

witcher-3-4k.png

Today's Titan X is tomorrow's mid-range though (upgrading graphics cards tends to be more frequent than upgrading CPUs after all), so it's normal to want the best option for gaming.

Akronis

Lol how many times.

Gow4-4k.png

GTA-V-4k.png

witcher-3-4k.png

You realize there are people that like to still use 1080p monitors because they prefer higher framerates? I much prefer locked 144fps to resolutions above 1920x1080. If an AMD CPU is going to hold me back compared to Intel, then I'm going to continue to buy Intel.

Datschge

Could this be to do with how the Summit Ridge die is divided up into two clusters of four cores? There's a semi-shared L3 in each cluster, but I haven't seen any info on how coherency and communication is handled between each cluster, so it may be that inter-process communication between threads on different clusters are what's causing these issues.
This will make the four core Ryzen models interesting, assuming they don't use two clusters (and disable four cores) for those as well.

Lol how many times.

Gow4-4k.png

GTA-V-4k.png

witcher-3-4k.png

Your pictures aren't working for me. But I have one question regardless. Even if its a couple fps difference, why would anyone pay more money for worse (or even the same) performance at any level?

Well, lots of reports of RAM problems.

Seems like some motherboard can´t pass 2400 or even 2133.

Hopefully this is what is wrong ! If there is something wrong at all.

tuxfool

Banned
Today's Titan X is tomorrow's mid-range though (upgrading graphics cards tends to be more frequent than upgrading CPUs after all), so it's normal to want the best option for gaming.
Sure. Conversely if you're looking for it to last a long time you'd be wanting to future proof on the number of cores. Nothing is a given, as it stands now, if you don't need to upgrade you might want to wait and see, otherwise these seem fine for most tasks.

kotodama

Competitive is great step considering the pricing. I'm on skylake so I won't get one bt my brother is looking to update his old system to Ryzen. Hopefully they can claw back some market share and pump the money into R&D. Also will be interesting in a few months when the software issues start being ironed out and chips possibly start binning better where they stand.

Yup, definitely not touching my old Haswell build, but my Phenom system will be getting an upgrade or swap out finally. Got a friend that does rendering and encoding work on an old Broadwell, in that case I can recommend finally an AMD system for price/performance.

GodofWine

Im a PC part noob who plans on building a very solid 1080/60 machine in 2 months...so I don't know much about these things even though I've been researching for months (its a lot of learnin').

But

I thought the advantage here wasn't going to be a peer to peer comparison, but a cost per performance comparison, in that you could by AMD's "i7" level chip for the cost of Intel's "i5" chip, and have it outperform the i5 (Im using i7 and i5 very casually here I know.)

prag16

Banned
Lol how many times.

Gow4-4k.png

GTA-V-4k.png

witcher-3-4k.png

Are you kidding me? This sounds like moving the goalposts. Last week Ryzen was going to trade blows with Intel's $1500 extreme enthusiast CPUs. This week I should be happy because at $500 it "only" gets "slightly" (a lot more than slightly if you're running a high end GPU at 1080p) beaten by the $350 7700K?

AMD touts how competitive they are in GPU bound situations? Am I taking crazy pills? This is a CPU, not a GPU...

I thought the advantage here wasn't going to be a peer to peer comparison, but a cost per performance comparison, in that you could by AMD's "i7" level chip for the cost of Intel's "i5" chip, and have it outperform the i5 (Im using i7 and i5 very casually here I know.)

Maybe AMD will bust their asses and make drastic improvements to drivers and software to make this happen (I'm skeptical), but as of now, no, you will not get that.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Im a PC part noob who plans on building a very solid 1080/60 machine in 2 months...so I don't know much about these things even though I've been researching for months (its a lot of learnin').

But

So there are two completely different lineups of i7. There's Kaby Lake (i7 7700k) and Broadwell-E (6800K, 6900k, etc). Kaby Lake is the newest and greatest architecture but its quad core. Broadwell-E is based on an older architecture but it's 6-10 cores depending on which model you get (and it's expensive as hell).

Ryzen kicks Broadwell-E's ass in price/performance ratio.
-BUT-
For gaming, Kaby Lake is the best performer. In that space, Ryzen is disappointing.

Bottom line: i7 7700K is still the CPU to beat for gaming. Compared to the similarly-priced Ryzen 1700 it's a no-brainer.

~Cross~

But

This doesn't apply to this particular series of chips. For games an 7700k will obliterate these chips (while being cheaper), specially on certain games like Witcher 3, Watch Dogs 2, etc (things that actually task the cpu).

It MIGHT be different for their cheaper 5 series but we dont know yet.

GodofWine

Thank you to the various people who responded nicely to my PC noob question!

Luckily I have enough time before I buy any components to wait and see how this shakes out. (and ultimately 'buildmeapc' is gonna tell me what to get anyway!)

Your pictures aren't working for me. But I have one question regardless. Even if its a couple fps difference, why would anyone pay more money for worse (or even the same) performance at any level?

I don't know, because you get 90% of the performance for half the price.

Or I got another one, are you ready? You get double the cores and double the threads for a little bit more money, and all the huge multi-threaded performance advantages that brings.

Are you kidding me? This sounds like moving the goalposts. Last week Ryzen was going to trade blows with Intel's $1500 extreme enthusiast CPUs. This week I should be happy because at $500 it "only" gets "slightly" (a lot more than slightly if you're running a high end GPU at 1080p) beaten by the $350 7700K?

AMD touts how competitive they are in GPU bound situations? Am I taking crazy pills? This is a CPU, not a GPU...

I don't understand. It does trade blows with Intel's $1600 10-core. Have you not read the reviews?

DSN2K

fantastic achievement from AMD considering their budget compared to Intels....really offer alternative something they simply haven't done in the CPU space for years specially with High End gaming.

I don't know, because you get 90% of the performance for half the price.

Or I got another one, are you ready? You get double the cores and double the threads for a little bit more money, and all the huge multi-threaded performance advantages that brings.

I don't understand. It does trade blows with Intel's $1600 10-core. Have you not read the reviews?

It certainly seems great value for people with content creation or similar workloads. But this is a gaming forum so I think it's understandable people are more interested in that here?

Weevilone

Has anyone done a proper gaming review with frametimes and plots for 99th Pete=centipede and such? I couldn't care less about low resolution FPS.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Joker put up raw footage of his gaming benchmarks (Vsync Off, 1080p). Much better showing by Ryzen 1700 overclocked to 4GHz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXVIPo_qbc4

Honestly, with how poorly optimised some of these motherboards are I'm not shocked at the huge differences between reviews. Joker had his ram running much higher clock compared to other reviews too.

Overall, AMD has done a stunning job with Zen core. I look forward to seeing how the platform and manufacturing matures over the next few months, also when it comes to base core design it's very very sound.

Edit: Also, Ryzen 1700 is easily the chip to buy and true champ from the line up if you are going to overclock.

Also, people looking to buy a motherboard really need to wait to see in-depth reviews VRM design & bios support and optimisation is critical so you don't get stuck with a shitty motherboard.

Here's some new stuff from the Reddit AMA:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/we_are_amd_creators_of_athlon_radeon_and_other/def500n/
Robert Hallock said:
In addition to Lisa's comments, there are also some variables that could affect performance:

1) Early motherboard BIOSes were certainly troubled: disabling unrelated features would turn off cores. Setting memory overclocks on some motherboards would disable boost. Some BIOS revisions would plain produce universally suppressed performance.

2) Ryzen benefits from disabling High Precision Event Timers (HPET). The timer resolution of HPET can cause an observer effect that can subtract performance. This is a BIOS option, or a function that can be disabled from the Windows command shell.

3) Ryzen benefits from enabling the High Performance power profile. This overrides core parking. Eventually we will have a driver that allows people to stay on balanced and disable core parking anyways. Gamers have been doing this for a while, too.

These are just some examples of the early growing pains that can be overcome with time.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/we_are_amd_creators_of_athlon_radeon_and_other/def54ai/
Robert Hallock said:
Lisa had to take off to do some media interviews, but I can help!

Our next steps are to continue working with motherboard vendors to further refine their BIOSes. We're also working with game devs to address the cases where SMT is a performance reduction, or the game does not perform comparably to our competition. Based on IPC, clockspeeds, non-gaming performance that our performance should be more or less identical. In the cases where it's not, we'll get it addressed.

Datschge

I wonder if we'll see Ryzen in laptops before that.
The prepared model number codes AMD detailed indicate there won't be any pure Ryzen CPUs for laptops, just APUs.

Yeah, I should've been more clear about that. I meant that we don't know whether their APUs are going to fall under the Ryzen 7/5/3 naming scheme or if they're going to do something different. Y'know like their current ones that use A6/8/12 whatever.
They plan to use the same naming scheme across all products:

Jesus. I love their product manager. I wasn't expecting anything this detailed to come out of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/we_are_amd_creators_of_athlon_radeon_and_other/def7o5z/
That was refreshingly insightful indeed.

Skux

If only they released a gaming CPU first to impress people. Sure the R7 sounds good for workstation use but that's a fraction of users compared to the gaming audience who were looking for substantial upgrades or competitiveness.

Paragon

Lol how many times.

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Gow4-4k.png
http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/GTA-V-4k.png
http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/witcher-3-4k.png

Oh great, even after it's released and benchmarks are out you're still at this.
You're posting GPU-bottlenecked benchmarks - which is exactly what AMD pushed reviewers to do.

GPU bottlenecks happen when you select graphics settings beyond what your GPU can handle.
Unless you are gaming with an unlocked framerate, your GPU should never be hitting 100% load.

You think turning up the settings so high that even a Titan X is dropping below 60 FPS is a realistic scenario?
If a game is dropping to 30 FPS in places I would immediately start turning down settings until the framerate is above 60 FPS - and I expect most PC gamers would.

When you are trying to hit a framerate target, instead of pushing ultra settings at 4K on everything, you're going to start noticing when your CPU is holding you back.
You can keep turning down the graphics settings and further reducing GPU load, but the framerate just won't budge when your CPU is the limiting factor.

A CPU performance test should be designed so that you can find out what that framerate is for each CPU - whether it's 40 FPS, 60 FPS, 90 FPS etc.
When you have that information you can decide whether a CPU is suitable.

If one CPU can run the game at 80 FPS, and another CPU can run the game at 150 FPS (but costs a lot more) you might decide that the 80 FPS CPU is just fine because you play on a 60Hz display anyway.
But if you had a 144Hz display you would want a CPU which can hit 150 FPS.
In another game, the difference between those CPUs may be 40 FPS and 75 FPS instead though, in which case the slower CPU is not suitable even if you have a 60Hz display.

If you bottleneck these tests with your GPU so that the result is 30 FPS using either CPU, the test doesn't provide any useful information at all.
At most, it might show you that there are some old CPUs which are so slow that they can't even hit 30 FPS, but nothing about the differences between any other CPU in the test which can hit at least 30 FPS.
One CPU might be able to run the game at 31 FPS while another could run it at 500 FPS, but you wouldn't know because you set up a GPU-limited test.

And when you are trying to hit a framerate target - like keeping the minimum above 60 FPS - you can be CPU-bottlenecked with just about any GPU.
My previous card was a GTX 960 and it was being CPU-bottlenecked in recent games because I chose appropriate settings for it, instead of trying to run ultra settings at 4K.

Exactly. The Titan XP performance just dropped from $1200 to $700 and it will be $400 or less next year.
That's why you must set up CPU tests in such a way that eliminates the GPU from affecting their performance.

Sinistral

If only they released a gaming CPU first to impress people. Sure the R7 sounds good for workstation use but that's a fraction of users compared to the gaming audience who were looking for substantial upgrades or competitiveness.

You're forgetting the server, semi-custom and APUs this Zen Architecture is to be competing with as well. Gaming PCs, while being the flashiest is far away from being the most lucrative venture AMD is striving to compete in.

Top Bottom