• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nvidia Readying 1070ti

https://www.techpowerup.com/237016/nvidia-readying-a-geforce-gtx-1070-refresh-gtx-1070-ti

NVIDIA is readying a new GeForce GTX 1070 refresh graphics card, according to well-placed sources. Positioned between the current GTX 1070 and the GTX 1080 11 Gbps in performance, the refreshed GTX 1070 could at least displace the current GTX 1070 from its price-point, if not replace it. NVIDIA could carve the new chip out of the latest stepping of the GP104 silicon, and give it more CUDA cores, likely 2,048 (on par with GTX 1070 Mobile), if not higher. It could also get faster memory, likely 9 Gbps GDDR5 or even 10 Gbps GDDR5X. Its core and GPU Boost clock speeds could even be dialed up a little.

NVIDIA's objective here appears to be convincingly outperforming AMD Radeon RX Vega 56, at a lower power-draw. There's a 20 percent performance gap between the current desktop GTX 1070 and GTX 1080, and the new GTX 1070 refresh could find a price-performance equation somewhere in the middle. As NVIDIA's product-stack currently stands, the GTX 1080, which was refreshed with faster 11 Gbps GDDR5X memory, has a wider performance gap with the GTX 1070, creating room for a GTX 1070 refresh SKU somewhere in the middle, which could perform within the 90th percentile of the original GTX 1080 with 10 Gbps memory. What NVIDIA could name the SKU is anybody's guess. Historically, NVIDIA has updated SKU specifications without changing the name. The GTX 1080 and GTX 1060 6 GB were refreshed with faster memory, by simply prominently mentioning the memory clock below the SKU branding, there's also the remote possibility of the GTX 1070 Ti branding to combat the "grandeur" of AMD's RX Vega branding. NVIDIA could have the new GeForce GTX 1070 refresh SKU out in time for Holiday.

Rebadge me if old.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nvidia's market segmentation is getting crazy, but I can see why they would do this. They simply have the better architecture and really have no reason to let AMD command any kind of lead with Vega.

ZOONAMI

Seems like a strange thing to do unless they are effectively EOLing both the 1070 and 1080.

A 1070ti with even a slight factory OC would basically just be a 1080.

I could actually see them doing that, and just having, 1050/ti, 1060, 1070 Ti, and 1080 Ti available until after Volta comes out.

And yeah using gdrr5x will actually cap its mining performance and make it more widely available.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah 10% faster 1070 at $400 or even $420 or so would likely destroy Vega 56's chances at the same price point.

Cerbero

I don't know about the US, but in Europe the 1070 is a terrible deal, you can buy a 1080 for 500-520€ while a 1070 is 440-460€, i really don't see the point in a 1070 Ti unless the 1070 gets a 100€ price reduction like the 1080 had

Kareha

Nvidia will do anything to :

A. Regain a position in the market
B. Piss off AMD

The Vega 56 beats out the 1070 by a significant enough margin and I guess Nvidia are getting good yields on chips so why the fuck not.

My own view is why on earth would you do this, but then again I'm not running a huge and successful company worth billions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I suppose buying an ASUS Strix 1080 a couple days ago was a mistake?

Depends on what you paid for it.

Personally, I would recommend spending a bit more and getting whatever the cheapest 1080 ti is if you're already in the $600~ range.

At $500, though, the 1080 is a great deal.

Jinroh

It's a weird strategy. Why not making the 1080 more affordable instead? This card is already more than a year old.

JWiLL

Banned
There's room between a 1070 and 1080 for this?

I have one of the new GTX 1080 models with the 11gbps memory (EVGA FTW2 iCX) that I upgraded to from a 1070 and the perfomance boost is pretty massive. I get better performance in every game at 1440p than I did on the 1070 at 1080p by a decent margin.

I also got Destiny 2 for free with it, which was pretty sweet :D

1080 is around 20-25% faster than a 1070
1070+10% could do it

I believe that's at 1080p...if you go to 1440p/4k it's well over 30% in most games.

ISee

My take from this: volta is still a long time away and Nvidia isn't willing to let AMD win even one single battle.

Neith

Banned
I can't do it. I need a new card on a new process or nothing. I might even go the 80 version next time. But I'm A OKAY for now with 100,000 games that run more than fine on my 1070.

Witcher 4K the modded dream is dead for a long time though.

dr_rus

There's room between a 1070 and 1080 for this?

No. 1070Ti will only make sense if they'll drop 1070's price to $300. It would still eat up a lot of non-OC lower end 1080 sales though.

My take from this: volta is still a long time away and Nvidia isn't willing to let AMD win even one single battle.

Half a year probably and why should they? It's actually good to see them giving a fuck this time after they've basically ignored whatever AMD did between launches of 970/980 and 1070/1080. This ignore has cost them ~10% of market share in 2015.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I can't wait to see most of these cards get kidnapped and sent into the mines.

Has the card market become more accessible to people who want to buy them for games?

Bad7667

If this rumor is true that probably means volta is later next year.

Do we know how big a jump the Volta will be compared to the current line up available? I was looking to upgrade my GPU later this year but I'm not sure if I should wait for the new chipset. My current card is the 970.

FinKL

I can't wait to see most of these cards get kidnapped and sent into the mines.

Has the card market become more accessible to people who want to buy them for games?

Nope, looking for a 1070 mini for Destiny 2 and Iiterally every single nVidia card is marked up 25%+ AND sold out.

Even the lowly 1050 Ti's are above MSRP ($140 see them for $160)

StereoVsn

The question is if they will drop 1080 and 1080ti prices as well since that gap will be reduced. If Volta is ways off I may be tempted to go to 1080ti for say around $500-$550 from my 980ti but I know that won't happen.

Marmelade

I get better performance in every game at 1440p than I did on the 1070 at 1080p by a decent margin.

There was something wrong with your 1070 then because that shouldn't be possible
You're pushing 78% more pixels @1440p compared to 1080p
I also went from a 1070 to a 1080 and a 20-25% difference seems about right

SRG01

No one is going to buy this card, since 1080 prices are comparable to 1070 prices.

In fact, do people actually buy the 1070 aside from miners?

Kayant

Doesn't really make too much sense but this is Nvidia so I can see them doing it.

Now is the "well placed sources" here just the same leaked image from those Chinese forums or techpowerup sources because they don't appear to have much info to put much stock in their "sources".

mario_O

Vega 56 wins in many benches against the 1070 and it's cheaper. They probably dont want to lose that big mid-range market.
They could sell the 1070Ti at a price close to the 56, and lower the price of the original 1070. Keep the mid-range market.

GodofWine

GPU prices are so screwed up with the miners, well..mining, that I don't even care what anyone releases.

Isn't one of them supposed to make a card FOR mining, to take the pressure of these GPUs?

In may I got a 1050ti for $104, and a g4560 for $59, today's price is like $160 and $130. wtf.

rrs

GPU prices are so screwed up with the miners, well..mining, that I don't even care what anyone releases.

Isn't one of them supposed to make a card FOR mining, to take the pressure of these GPUs?
yes, but I'd assume those cards are too expensive vs cheapest whatever that will last as long as the fad; and the secondary market for a card with not shit fans and better cooling appealing to air OCers. The fans on my 970 died a while back, so I ripped them off and lean a case can on the GPU (now it runs cooler, of all things)

jrcbandit

This would only work if they lower the official price of the 1070 (miners currently ruining the price), discontinue the 1080, and effectively replace the 1080 with the 1070 Ti...

Those mining cards are just normal cards without video outputs. The biggest problem is ethash decided to lean on a large working set and memory bandwidth as its limiting factor to try and stop the currency from being immediately taken over by ASIC miners. They should have really leaned on branch prediction to stuff it back onto the CPU but most people have 10 times the GPU power on their processor's die than CPU so I guess that's where they aimed for.

Mr Swine

Banned
I wonder why it would have the TI monicker if it;s slower than a 1080. People are going to get confused that they are buying a card that isn't that far from the 1080 TI but in reality it's slower than a standard 1080

napata

I wonder why it would have the TI monicker if it;s slower than a 1080. People are going to get confused that they are buying a card that isn't that far from the 1080 TI but in reality it's slower than a standard 1080

Do these people also think the 1050 TI isn't that far off from a 1080 TI?

jrcbandit

It would likely be as fast as the 1080 but use GDDR5 instead of GDDR5X and I assume cheaper starting at say $400-450 (like the original launch of the 1070) instead of $499 for the 1080. This card would be meant to compete with the Vega 56 which is $400 retail if you can actually find it and performs about the same as a 1080.

Top Bottom