• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chancellor Merkel is opening gamescom for the first time

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Everything related to nazi symbolism. SS runes, Hitler icon portraits or music like the Horst Wessel song. Bethesda changed the name of Hitler in german version of Wolfenstein to "our leader" and the nazis are "the regime".
Yeah, I forgot. SS-Runen are forbidden, too. And other stuff that is overall forbidden in any kind when not used as a movie.

There is zero reference to nazis, it's not just about swastikas. Bethesda goes as far as telling german gaming journos to stop talking about nazis when they write about the german version of Wolfenstein.

See Hearts of Iron 4 released mid 2016 for reference too.

Of course they could easily fight this in court but they rather don't and pretend they are bound by german laws.
Whats the problem when the publisher selfcensors stuff they can easily get away with? Nobody cares if germans or Nazis or Hitler would be mentioned.

Dee Dee

Gamescom is crazy, hope she enjoys queueing for the new Battlefront Demo while Kollegah performs his awesome hit about how "bitches get what bitches deserve!" for everyone on the EA stage.

(I had to stop going two years ago, even though I used to have a lot of fun. Got too old for this shit. Stop giving me your candy, half naked booth babes.)

Looking forward to the gifs of her holding the controller upside down or doing some "press X for awesome" combos.

Everything related to nazi symbolism. SS runes, Hitler icon portraits or music like the Horst Wessel song. Bethesda changed the name of Hitler in german version of Wolfenstein to "our leader" and the nazis are "the regime". There is zero reference to nazis, it's not just about swastikas. Bethesda goes as far as telling german gaming journos to stop talking about nazis when they write about the german version of Wolfenstein.

See Hearts of Iron 4 released mid 2016 for reference too.

Of course they could easily fight this in court but they rather don't and pretend they are bound by german laws.

Bethesda is pretty extreme about this. The uncut PC Version of Wolfenstein TNO is even geolocked. You can buy and activate the game with a non-German IP, but if you then try to play it with a German IP, it's over.

I don't even think going this far is required, it's something Bethesda decided themselves.

Just removing a bunch of swastikas wouldn't be too bad, but on top of that you only get the heavily censored german dub, and it really neuters the bad guys and the script loses a lot of it's Impact.

The only game I remember that outright mentioned Nazis in the german release was one throwaway line in MGS3, that probably no-one noticed.

Yeah, I forgot. SS-Runen are forbidden, too. And other stuff that is overall forbidden in any kind when not used as a movie.

The usage of these symbols can be allowed for works of art in general, which video games are just as much as movies.

There is still a widespread misconception that these things *have* to be censored as per German law because games are not considered a work of art but this hasn't been true for almost a decade.
Publishers just don't wanna risk anything and potentially having to set a precedent in court first.

The BpjM is way more relaxed than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Mortal Kombat X was released uncut, which was not possible 10 years ago.

Yes, they adapted. "Beschlagnahmung" (ban) is still possible however, so the other poster was correct. It virtually never happens though and I don't think I've been affected since Xbox 360 times but it does exist. I think Dying Light is one of the most gruesome games in recent history and it wasn't even considered for a Beschlagnahmung (merely List A).

Krosia

Whats the problem when the publisher selfcensors stuff they can easily get away with? Nobody cares if germans or Nazis or Hitler would be mentioned.

Movies and books and so on are cool, there is just issues with games. And it's not based on a specific gaming law or because games are not considered art, even though some uninformed people in this thread claim bullshit like that.

About the issue with cut nazi stuff:

Losing atmosphere and creators intention. Telling people basically that shooting nazis is not okay is a very bad message. Censorship of art, even selfcensorship, is often bad and can be dangerous. Having double standards for games vs. all other media is bad. Etc.

Bethesda is pretty extreme about this. The uncut PC Version of Wolfenstein TNO is even geolocked. You can buy and activate the game with a non-German IP, but if you then try to play it with a German IP, it's over.

I don't even think going this far is required, it's something Bethesda decided themselves.

Just removing a bunch of swastikas wouldn't be too bad, but on top of that you only get the heavily censored german dub, and it really neuters the bad guys and the script loses a lot of it's Impact.

The only game I remember that outright mentioned Nazis in the german release was one throwaway line in MGS3, that probably no-one noticed.

Yes, correct. This geolocking is unnecessary. You can actually get Wolfenstein 3D gifted by foreign friends and play and install it in germany, even though it was the game that created this mess (indirectly). But Bethesdas lawyers are so afraid that they double down with geolocking.

Its sad really, the german dubbing of Wolfenstein is one of the best dubbing work in gaming history, but it lost so much atmosphere and impact as you said because of the cuts.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yes, they adapted. "Beschlagnahmung" (ban) is still possible however, so the other poster was correct. It virtually never happens though and I don't think I've been affected since Xbox 360 times but it does exist.
This always happens when NS-Symbolik is used. It will of course happen to the UK and US-Version of Wolfenstein 2.

The usage of these symbols can be allowed for works of art in general, which video games are just as much as movies.

There is still a widespread misconception that these things *have* to be censored as per German law because games are not considered a work of art but this hasn't been true for almost a decade.
Publishers just don't wanna risk anything and potentially having to set a precedent in court first.
This is true. Sadly, the german market seems to be to small for an publisher to get on a adventure like this. Even when there are lot of super small movie labels who most the time consist out of 1-10 people to fight banns against horrormovies from decades ago... This happens a lot of times recently and I cant imagine that they have more money then Activision or Bethesda, etc.

About the issue with cut nazi stuff:

Losing atmosphere and creators intention. Telling people basically that shooting nazis is not okay is a very bad message. Censorship of art, even selfcensorship, is often bad and can be dangerous. Having double standards for games vs. all other media is bad. Etc.
I completly agree, its pretty sad that Bethesda doesnt have the balls and cuts stuff out that would be completly fine ;)

This always happens when NS-Symbolik is used. It will of course happen to the UK and US-Version of Wolfenstein 2.

I'm aware it happens but as I understand it, it's usually precaution by publishers as opposed to German regulations. Nazi symbolism is allowed in education and arts, so it would come down to a court to decide whether Wolfenstein or video games in general are considered such. I guess most publishers won't bother and just alter their games in advance. I might be wrong though, I haven't really kept track of that so much.

Vuze

Nope Mutter Angela, young people won't suddenly vote for you because you show up at a video game convention

She's so out of touch, it almost seems like a joke that she'll open the show.

Clessidor

Just in 2014 a represantive of the Oberste Landejugendbehörde made it clear in an interview (in German) that video games only "could be art" and are different because they are interactive.

It really looks like that authorities are still saying that they will ban every game with anti-constitutional symbols in it. And I can understand that no publisher is interested to risk it. Because if a version gets banned then they would have additional costs like sending in a censored version or to go to court if they think the ban is not justified. But I doubt that any publisher or developer has any interested for doing that. Self censring is the cheapier and simple way. Authorities need to open up to get that changed.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm aware it happens but as I understand it, it's usually precaution by publishers as opposed to German regulations. Nazi symbolism is allowed in education and arts, so it would come down to a court to decide whether Wolfenstein or video games in general are considered such. I guess most publishers won't bother and just alter their games in advance. I might be wrong though, I haven't really kept track of that so much.

The censorship is precaution, they want a version for the german market, but the foreign Versions of Wolfenstein with Nazi symbolism are still going to be banned. I was more talking about the Beschlagnahmungs-thing you were talking about.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nope Mutter Angela, young people won't suddenly vote for you because you show up at a video game convention

She's so out of touch, it almost seems like a joke that she'll open the show.

I am pretty sure she is aware of this. Industrialbosses from other countries will also not vote for her when she opens a in germany located international industrial fair.

I'd love to go there one day, but they'd have to put it in the middle of winter for me to ever actually go there. The heat combined with tens of thousands of people... unbearable.

Dinjooh

But she's such a buzzkill 😥

giphy.gif

Context?

Yoshi88

World leader doesn't want to be photographed waving a $5 flag?

No. This was after an election her party won the majority in. Here it's (rightfully so) frowned upon waving the country's flag at an event of your political party, as if "your party = the whole country".

She understood that, especially in the context of rising nationalists. I don't like her policies, but this was one of her best moments.

The context is that she hates our fucking country and population. Apparently all germans living today are still responsible for WW2 and should feel guilty. Every one who criticizes her and her politics is a nazi. She wants a european identity (instead of a german national identity) for all of us.
She is a fascist.

Hektor

The context is that she hates our fucking country and population. Apparently all germans living today are still responsible for WW2 and should feel guilty. Every one who criticizes her and her politics is a nazi. She wants a european identity (instead of a german national identity) for all of us.
She is a fascist.

What 👺

I don't think you know what fascism means

Dinda

She is a fascist.

You OK dude?

THEaaron

Germany is the one country in Europe that changes the color of blood in videogames into green, blue or what else.

There is also a ban or huge alteration on games like Wolfenstein where you kill Nazi's. So no, just because you don't hear them politics shouting as fanatically as the American politicians, doesn't mean they don't think the same.

Nazis yes, but everything else is uncensored in Germany for quite some time now. Even Killzone 2 and 3 were uncensored and just labeled USK18. Same thing for The Evil Within and what not.

For Nazi stuff being visible in German games, they have to accept videogames as a form of art. We are not quite there, yet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
She is a fascist.

How do you vote?

MUnited83

For you.
I studied politics for six years at university but just say "no", right? That's why I'm not discussing politics online. Too many people who have no idea what they're talking about.
You studied politics for 6 years and you fail at the basic understanding of them, along with making outright false claims about Merkel?
Sorry to tell ya but you wasted a bunch of money and time with no results.

Haunted

Digitalisierung will only become more important in the coming years, we're already behind, even if this is just a symbolic gesture of acknowledgment towards the tech industry in Germany, it's to be applauded.

How do you vote?

Are you serious? Do you want to discriminate against me because of my vote? Why are you asking this? I'm not voting for this awful human being, that's for sure.

You studied politics for 6 years and you fail at the basic understanding of them, along with making outright false claims about Merkel?
Sorry to tell ya but you wasted a bunch of money and time with no results.

Like all of her defenders you don't have any arguments besides "You're wrong". Pathetic as hell . False claims, lol. Yeah sure.

oti

Banned
She is a fascist.

Yikes.

ViviOggi

She is a fascist.

I studied politics for six years at university but just say "no", right? That's why I'm not discussing politics online. Too many people who have no idea what they're talking about.
:ahhhhhhh

Top Bottom