• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A sports game for people who think they don't like sports games?

Mohasus

When driving is on TV what channel is it on? In the U.K. it's sky sports/BT Sport. Driving is a sport, it's just not an Olympic sport. You need to be incredibly fit to be a race car driver, have incredible reflexes and bucket loads of concentration.

Sure, racing is a sport, driving isn't.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
hot-shots-golf-world-invitational-2.jpg

Hot Shots Golf is that good shit.

This. Hot Shots Golf is pure kino.

NBA_Street_Vol._2_Coverart.png

NBA Street Vol. 2 is easily the best sports game to play if you don't like sports. I put so many hours into that game and I don't even like basketball or basketball games. It's also the only basketball game I can think of that let's you play as and create female players.

weekev

Banned
Sure, racing is a sport, driving isn't.
Ok fair enough. Pedantic but fair enough. Hitting a ball with a racket isn't a sport but tennis is. Regardless of semantics my point stands. Rocket League is the sportiest of sports games, it's also amazing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
NBA Street x Persona

Fight Night x Persona

Ridge Racer x Persona

Skate x Persona

What I'm trying to say is that sports games need 80+ hour slice of life narratives and waifus.

This is not a joke post.

Not waifus, but I do think having some larger single player world trappings can help. Think what the OG Mario Golf games did when it was like a Golf RPG.

Hell look at that badass new indie golf game for Switch that is like Stardew Valley meets Golf.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You need to play some MLB Power Pros. It's got a life sim mode where you study, go on dates, work, etc. The baseball's alright, too.

Oh man, those image links still work from my old OTs for those games, lol.

Also, noone's mentioned one of the best sports games ever:

49WEz12.png

StereoVsn

You made a sick dunk on Ryuji. Your Agility has increased!

Ryuji: Show-offy bastard... How about THIS?!

Ryuji has learned "Eternal Hangtime". You can now use this ability when your Aggression meter is at 20% or less.
Have you played NBA 2K MyCareer? I was mostly down on Sports games except for occasional NHL I would play with friends locally but NBA 2K15 got me back. It's Story mode, i.e. myCareer is pretty great and the latest version 2K17 I feel is the best Sports ARPG yet. Plus they finally have some decent tutorial/practice options.

There is as usual lately some BS with Take2 and Microtransactions but you can generally avoid those and use their mobile app for some extra virtual currency points.

Overall though I am much digging the game. Oh and 2K16 was part of PS Plus last year and while it's "story" is all kinds of cringeworthy , it's still amusing enough. I recommend at least trying it out of you have it on PSN (and 2K17 can be had cheap now days with sales).

Edit: Forgot to add that the game actually has stats that you increase during practice or via VC that you earn from things like events, practice, games, endorsements, etc... It also actually has classes with stat caps for various positions. Although those are annoying side they won't let you customize them.

Phediuk

Assuming you mean team sports, NBA Jam and NFL Blitz seem like obvious choices here. NHL 94 and Sensible Soccer are great too.

Released

I've always liked skating games despite rarely skating in my real life lol. They have a different feel that most other sports games, less focused on making you feel like you're watching a sports broadcast on TV.

Firstly, you cant make someone like something if they refuse to give it a chance. If they are willing to be open minded and understand that many games some might not consider sports games are in fact sports games, for example Punch-out!!, Rocket League, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, SSX, Skate, Wipeout, F-zero and Wave Race are all sports games. Whatever inhibition you have towards a game labeling itself a sport should be set aside for the potential fun there is to be had with the games mechanics.

some personal favorites:
SSX tricky.
Jerry Glanville Pigskin Footbrawl
Cosmic Smash (its basically Squash)
Virtua Tennis
Wave Race 64
San Francisco Rush 2049
Ken Griffey Jr. Slugfest
Fight Night: Round 2
NHL: Rock the Rink
Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey
Blitz 2000
Super High Impact Football (the precursor to Blitz)
Arch Rivals (the precursor to NBA Jam)

i can go on for a while with this...

I never like sport games, including less realistic ones like Mario sports(but except racing which isn't part the discussion).
I mildly enjoyed pro skater 4.
And I like Wii sport...(fight me)

WaterAstro

There's arcade sports, and there's simulation sports.

Two entirely different genres that if you enjoy one game from arcade sports, it doesn't mean you will enjoy any game in simulation sports.

Patrick S.

Banned
I hate sports games, but I loved Speedball 2 on the Amiga, and Wii Sports. There was a funny WWF wrestling game with hilarious Jerry Lawler commentary, that was an ace game, too.

CANLI

I think that golf games are the best answer.

There were family ski/snowboard games on Wii which are great for people who don't like sports.
I loved these games.

Top Bottom