• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 2 is coming to Steam? [Update: Evidence continues to mount, 4-pack]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Everyone in this thread should give Age of Empires 2: Forgotten Empires a play. It's a mod which basically functions as a full expansion pack for AoE2. 5 new civs, new units and technologies, brand new computer AI (which is hard as shit to beat), a bunch of fixes and stuff, Widescreen support, its awesome.

I've seen a few threads on GAF on it, but if you missed them i suggest you try it out now.

http://www.forgottenempires.net/features

DocSeuss

I put AoE 1 in as a non-Steam game a week ago, and now I hear this? >:|

Now you listen to me:

All I want...ALL I WANT, is to have Age of Empires 1...on Steam and this is the critical part for me personally...with the original soundtrack in the game as it was before. No bloody MIDI's! You can WOLOLO right off with those. I want to hear those beautiful songs as I pummel an entire village into non-existence. >xD

On topic, putting Steam Workshop into these games would be insane if users are creative about it.

I thought midi was the only version?

cuc

I thought midi was the only version?

AoE has had two CD audio soundtracks, for vanilla game and Rise of Rome. Even the menu music and defeat/victory tracks are different. The Gold version (the only version available now) combines tracks from both.

AoE2 expansion pack also has a different soundtrack from vanilla, but I hate the AoE2 soundtracks.

squid

Start the-Start the-Start-Start the-Start the game already!-game already!-game already!

All Hail. King of the Losers!

I would re-buy this in a heartbeat, especially if it had updated online...

Raiding Party!

Yes!!! If multiplayer was supported through steam...

Seriously, release this and Halo 3 and let me play them online conveniently, and I won't need the new and shiny anymore. Rumors please come true!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I played a good amount of AoE2, but I never learned how to actually play RTS games until Age of Mythology, so I always liked Age of Mythology and AoE3 better because of that.

Steam achievements would be the perfect reason to go back and play the game how it's actually meant to be played. I'm sure it'll be a night and day difference from my memories of playing it with 15 villagers max.

AoM

YES!

Do AoM next, damnit.

yesjacknicholson.gif

DocSeuss

I own 3 copies of the original Age of Empires (the original 1997 edition, Gold Edition, and the UbiSoft rerelease)

The music for each edition varies, but the music for the latter comes in midi format, the original sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jh3C8cKT3M

What? THAT is not on my OST. I have this midi stuff! This sounds totally different! AND AMAZING!

They should just release them in flac. There are no space concerns anymore.

I have concerns.

When will we go to space?

Start the-Start the-Start-Start the-Start the game already!-game already!-game already!

All Hail. King of the Losers!

I would re-buy this in a heartbeat, especially if it had updated online...

Raiding Party!

My nostalgia kicked me in the groin so hard I grew a new pair of testicles.

Okay Microsoft, now you listen to me.
After this is done, you release Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology, Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, all the Midtown/Motocross/Monster Truck Madness games, and the original Age of Empires on Steam, you hear me? I will literally give you access to my bank account if you do this.

Rafy

Okay Microsoft, now you listen to me.
After this is done, you release Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology, Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, all the Midtown/Motocross/Monster Truck Madness games, and the original Age of Empires on Steam, you hear me? I will literally give you access to my bank account if you do this.

AoM on steam is instant buy! I loved that game and I hope they release it!

Eideka

Banned
So......Shit is getting real ?

The "weird stuff" showing up in the Steam registry isn't a fake.

But each time I want to be enthusiast about that I remember that none of those titles interest me.

Grief.exe

Really tempted to rebuy after already rebuying AoE II gold last year, depending on what they do with it.

I wonder if they will release the compatibility fix patch like the SS2 guys did late last year.

Kind of interesting that a patch that fixed everything just randomly dropped out of thin air.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For what it's worth, Frankie also rubbished early rumours that Halo: CEA was in the works, later saying that since they surfaced before the project was "even greenlit" (which I assume, in this case, doesn't mean internally approved but rather assigned to a studio) his denial was legit and not a case of PR doublespeak.

Grief.exe

Want to give some context?

For what it's worth, Frankie also rubbished early rumours that Halo: CEA was in the works, later saying that since they surfaced before the project was "even greenlit" (which I assume, in this case, doesn't mean internally approved but rather assigned to a studio) his denial was legit and not a case of PR doublespeak.

Can you get a link?

The only denial that I remember reading from Frankie he said, "Microsoft does not currently have plans to bring Halo to Steam."

Which means essentially nothing. Its not an outright denial, and if anything means they could have plans going forward.

Oh fuck yes, please let this happen. Just on the subject of AOE2 does anyone know where to get the old star wars mod from? I really enjoyed it and wanted to give it another play through but i have no idea where to find it.

Grief.exe

That's what Stinkles (Frank O'Connor) said after I asked about Halo on Steam. He also denied it quite a while ago in the HaloGAF OT.

If you're referring to my example, I edited in a link to his post. In regard to the image, as Overdoziz said, he mentioned much the same thing on GAF the other week.

Thanks for the updates guys.

The one thing I do notice about this quote though

Thinking about it. Also Steam thing is bunk as far as our stuff is concerned anyway. on't know what Dyad is or what that was all about.

343i is likely completely unaffiliated with the port they would have another studio or even just a few guys at MGS working on getting this stuff together.

The fact that they are unaffiliated with it means nothing.

What makes me even more confident of this is learning how MGS works after doing reasearch for this thread.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic for the time being. I would love to see a Halo game available on Steam, and better yet Halo 3.

JaseC

343i is likely completely unaffiliated with the port they would have another studio or even just a few guys at MGS working on getting this stuff together.

The fact that they are unaffiliated with it means nothing.

What makes me even more confident of this is learning how MGS works after doing reasearch for this thread.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic for the time being. I would love to see a Halo game available on Steam, and better yet Halo 3.

Yeah, others came to the same conclusion; that it was an attempt to keep the port hush-hush by providing a technically correct statement that, at first glance, appears to refute the possibility.

Grief.exe

Yeah, others came to the same conclusion; that it was an attempt to keep the port hush-hush by providing a technically correct statement that, at first glance, appears to refute the possibility.

Yep, I agree.

Microsoft loves that kind of stuff.

And Frankie has proven in the past to love that kind of PR speak as well. He denied Halo:CEA because it wasn't officially 'greenlit' yet.

StayDead

If the online works on it I'll certainly buy a copy. I'm more of a Broodwar/Starcraft 2/Spring TA kind of guy, but I loved AOE 1 and AOE is one of the only RTS games I can get people who are no good at them to actually play. :/

Martian

Awwww yessss

My favourite game finally coming to Steam! Can't wait!

I do hope they tone down on the price, because paying 40 bucks for AOE 3 was a bit excessive, 10-15 would be on the okay side. Less than 10 is insta-buy.

Achievements will be fun as well, I just hope that it doesn't screw with windows 7, because the disc version kind of goes crazy

Grief.exe

If the online works on it I'll certainly buy a copy. I'm more of a Broodwar/Starcraft 2/Spring TA kind of guy, but I loved AOE 1 and AOE is one of the only RTS games I can get people who are no good at them to actually play. :/

I would certainly hope that they have updated the online system. They have had 10 people playing at once the past couple days, lets hope that is because they are testing the multiplayer.

JaseC

Awwww yessss

My favourite game finally coming to Steam! Can't wait!

I do hope they tone down on the price, because paying 40 bucks for AOE 3 was a bit excessive, 10-15 would be on the okay side. Less than 10 is insta-buy.

Achievements will be fun as well, I just hope that it doesn't screw with windows 7, because the disc version kind of goes crazy

I'd happily wait longer if it meant getting all the previous AoE games -- AoE Gold, AoE2 Gold, and AoM Gold. Although all over a decade old at this point, keeping in mind Microsoft is the publisher and there's a generous amount of content, my idea of ideal pricing in this scenario would be $7.99 each with a bundle of three available for $19.99.

Harlock

Fuckin yes. I had a lot of playing with the friends in the work. Can´t wait for having a full online service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom