• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2017 (May 01 - May 07)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So, can Zelda reach a million by the end of Switch's life?
Shipments of Breath of the Wild must be well over 600k by now and it keeps selling good numbers every week. That's a number that was the high end LTD for many previous Zeldas.

As long as Switch remains at high demand it won't disappear from the charts.

Dystify

Shipments of Breath of the Wild must be well over 600k by now and it keeps selling good numbers every week. That's a number that was the high end LTD for many previous Zeldas.

I'm also willing to bet Nintendo will advertise this one longer than previous Zelda titles. It's a very attractive game for the console and also has DLC coming. I don't think it's gonna stop selling anytime soon.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Also MK8/ARMS/Splatoon 2 might not cannibalize sales as much as one would think given their clear multiplayer focus.

I'm also willing to bet Nintendo will advertise this one longer than previous Zelda titles. It's a very attractive game for the console and also has DLC coming. I don't think it's gonna stop selling anytime soon.

Yeah, I forgot about the DLC, that should do.it for sure. What was the last Zelda game that broke a million in Japan, Phantom Hourglass?

I'm just hoping for BotW 2, that's all ^^

Also MK8/ARMS/Splatoon 2 might not cannibalize sales as much as one would think given their clear multiplayer focus.

At the very least MK8 doesnt seem to have had much effect, i expected botw sales to have had a hair cut this week but still it performs similarly to how it did before

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nis-...hits-110k-pre-orders-in-us-and-europe/0182373

d5c sell-in was less than 20k in japan so... that should give some perspective on the sell-through it had in japan.

In the event people didn't click the link:

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) has 110,000 pre-orders in the US and Europe. That's pre-orders only, not eventual sales.

The game has shipped under 20,000 in Japan.

They also note the biggest Western markets for JRPGs are the US and then France, which I think most people knew. They note the UK is a harder market.

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) has 110,000 pre-orders in the US and Europe. That's pre-orders only, not eventual sales.

They also note the biggest Western markets for JRPGs are the US and then France, which I think most people knew. They note the UK is a harder market.

That's more than what I expected tbh

third party support saved? ;)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wonder how far from 20,000 it is in Japan. Also, given the lack of price drops / reports of scarce availability in the past threads, sell-in and sell through shouldn't be that different in the end.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wonder how far from 20,000 it is in Japan. Also, given the lack of price drops / reports of scarce availability in the past threads, sell-in and sell through shouldn't be that different in the end.

yeah I bet its at 15K or so right now and will sell out its initial shipment. Which would be about half of the known PS4 LTD I believe.

Minecraft Switch Edition is in the #2 position in the Japanese eShop, right behind MK8D. (#4? in the US, I think. Right behind Mario Kart, NBA Playgrounds and Kamiko.)

L~A

Really? 110k? Wow, I wasn't expecting that at all, especially since it's just pre-orders.

Always expected western sales to be better, but damn... no wonder they chose that game to release on Switch first. Really curious how their other projects are going to fare. Oh, and I guess NISA's days of saving NIS's ass aren't over, heh.

Passose

Banned

Switch users are starving for games to play

jk

goldage

Banned

wow switch third parties saved hurrah

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yeah, I forgot about the DLC, that should do.it for sure. What was the last Zelda game that broke a million in Japan, Phantom Hourglass?

I'm just hoping for BotW 2, that's all ^^

Ocarina of Time. PH was close at 900K.

Also Battle Project Mekuru releases 5/18 in Japan? I originally thought this was from Nintendo, but it looks like it's a third party game?

Also it looks like Nintendo and GameCenter are doing some promotion for Minecraft on Switch.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/280053-nintendo-team-with-game-center-cx-s-arino-for-special-minecraft

Passose

Banned

noshten

Do Zelda's generally get price drops at a certain point, since Zelda's price has remained constant even though there is a very vibrant second hand market in Japan

In terms of Disgaea - I mean I'm pretty bullish on the system but even I didn't expect it to do so well.

Mpl90

it's going to take forever to beat disgaea 1. that thing was something else (easily 500k+ worldwide). it might be the second-best after that though.

Going by GameDataLibrary, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness sold around 150,000 between the original and the budget re-release, so around 350,000+ in the West. That's a lot.

Dolgan

Marvelous' financial results for fiscal year ended March 31, 2017 is out, though only in Japanese for now. Their consumer game business did great; Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (3DS) have been selling well, Fate/Extella (PS4/PSV) was a hit product topping previous games in the series by a wide margin, and Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash (PS4) have recorded strong sales, resulting in net sales totaling 9,067 million yen (up 20.2% from the previous fiscal year), and operating income of 2,042 million yen (up 102.9% from the previous fiscal year).
https://corp.marv.jp/library/img/tansin4q2016.pdf

Yo Marvelous, how about using this money to make a new Rune Factory? Seriously what happened to that series? RF4 was released in 2012 and was the best selling entry in the series. I know, Neverland doesn't exist anymore, but I thought the development team was hired by Marvelous... :(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mario Galaxy could be the game with some similarities to look for Breath of the Wild sales. Nintendo took a different route with its design, it started slow but in the end great word of mouth helped it pass 1m.

Ōkami

Also it looks like Nintendo and GameCenter are doing some promotion for Minecraft on Switch.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/280053-nintendo-team-with-game-center-cx-s-arino-for-special-minecraft
That's with Yoiko, not GCCX

00000645_02.jpg

I don't know if its the hair or Arino uses the same dark magic as Sakurai as he looks much younger than he did on GCCX last year.

Mpl90

Blaster Master Zero sales were just a part of an Inti Creates presentation at ToyBox, 4Gamer just posted more slides and details. If anyone's willing to translate the text, it could be interesting. At least the slides have english included

http://www.4gamer.net/games/314/G031464/20170512116/

Additional numbers from there

Azure Striker Gunvolt - 180,000+ on eShop as of May 1st, 2017
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 - 38,000 as of May 1st, 2017
Gal Gun Double Peace - 45,000 downloads from PSN as of December 31st, 2016

goldage

Banned
think people went a bit overboard with the "golden weak"

its obvious 3ds and ps4 were never gonna increase much

so it came down to switch, which was supply constrained

not sure wat else people expected when many titles had a boost or held weld compared to last week

think people went a bit overboard with the "golden weak"

its obvious 3ds and ps4 were never gonna increase much

so it came down to switch, which was supply constrained

not sure wat else people expected when many titles had a boost or held weld compared to last week

Why is it obvious 3DS & PS4 weren't going to increase much?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Download cards for Minecraft were also released today (3600 yen + tax). Famitsu will give a number for them next week but it will be far from total sales.

goldage

Banned
Why is it obvious 3DS & PS4 weren't going to increase much?
look at the sales they been having and the their current status in the market place

3ds had a bigger chance to increase but it is well past its prime

ps4 wasn't going to increase much without a big game to coincide with it

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
That's one gigantic drop. I didn't think the first game was that bad.

Well the first game had really good legs. If anything, it might show the second one didn't those sales legs. Some folks were saying (I haven't played either) that second one was a little too similar to the first. Or maybe the second game had bad word of mouth.

Mario Galaxy could be the game with some similarities to look for Breath of the Wild sales. Nintendo took a different route with its design, it started slow but in the end great word of mouth helped it pass 1m.

This is a good comparison. They are both critically acclaimed, revolutionary, marquee games for their respective systems. I think if Ocarina of Time could hit 1m on the N64 in Japan, then it's possible for Breath of the Wild to do so on a system with much more appeal in that region (plus the sales of the Wii U version). Additionally, the DLC packs should keep word of mouth going for the game and prevent people from selling their copies.

Top Bottom