• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So exactly how is backwards compatibility enhanced on Xbox One X?

I know that Xbox One games get vsync, higher frame rates for unlocked games, and higher resolutions for games with dynamic resolution scaling. Also, 16x anisotropic texture filtering.

How do 360 games benefit? Do games need patches to run at higher resolutions? What about OG Xbox Games? How do those fare?

MilkyJoe

Not tried it yet, still working my way through my X Enhanced backlog. I imagine it's the same for most.

Ding II

Much like "old" Xbox One games, old 360 games benefit in the ways you mentioned:

1. Vsync will be forced on, eliminating tearing if it existed previously.
  2. Anisotropic texture filtering will be forced on, improving "apparent" texture resolution at oblique angles.
  3. Framerate will likely increase if the original game suffered from frame rate drops. (If the game used to "attempt" to maintain 30FPS, it will likely succeed in maintaining 30FPS on the X. It's probably not going to magically jump to 60FPS however.)
Increasing the base frame rate, or the base rendering resolution, will indeed require a patch of some sort. Again, much like how older Xbox One games will require patching before "dramatic" frame rate, fancier post-processing, and resolution gains can be achieved.

Much like "old" Xbox One games, old 360 games benefit in the ways you mentioned:

1. Vsync will be forced on, eliminating tearing if it existed previously.
  2. Anisotropic texture filtering will be forced on, improving "apparent" texture resolution at oblique angles.
  3. Framerate will likely increase if the original game suffered from frame rate drops. (If the game used to "attempt" to maintain 30FPS, it will likely succeed in maintaining 30FPS on the X. It's probably not going to magically jump to 60FPS however.)
Increasing the base frame rate, or the base rendering resolution, will indeed require a patch of some sort. Again, much like how older Xbox One games will require patching before "dramatic" frame rate, fancier post-processing, and resolution gains can be achieved.

Thanks! One last question: what about OG Xbox Games. Do they receive enhancements? Do they run at higher resolution than 480p?

arhra

Every 360 game will get improved texture filtering (forced 16xAF), and the higher performance will give higher framerates if possible. Dynamic resolutions weren't common last-gen, but I'd imagine that any games that do use it (RAGE did, I think?) would also benefit similarly to XB1 games (except still probably capped at 720p).

A limited number of games see bigger improvements, with resolution increased to 9x the original pixel count (horizontal and resolution both increased by 3x, so up to full 4k for games that ran at native 720p), and some further tweaks to improve the presentation of the textures (they're not adding anything to the games, just doing what's they can at the emulator level so that the best quality versions of the existing textures are used and looking as good as possible).

So far the latter enhancements are only available for 7 games - Assassin's Creed, Fallout 3, Halo 3, Oblivion, Gears of War 3, Skate 3, and Mirror's Edge.

edit: And OG Xbox games run at 16x their original resolution (4x4), rather than the 4x (2x2) that they run at on the original XB1/1S, so a 480p game will be running at 2560x1920.

Breakage

I saw a YouTube playthrough of Ninja Gaiden Black on the Xbox One, and thought it could pass for an early 360 game.

kidnaper

Neo Member
I booted up Skate 3 and it was like a whole new game. Playing it on the S looks like a VHS skate tape whereas on the X it’s like a DVD.

Might have to try out some more Xbox 360 enhanced games. Mirrors edge looks amazing from the one level I played.

I saw a YouTube playthrough of Ninja Gaiden Black on the Xbox One, and thought it could pass for an early 360 game.

Cool. I might dig out my old copy of Psychonauts and give it a go.

Top Bottom