• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

E-phonk

Banned
Latest update [7:25 AM BST]

tp72oqg.png

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-manchester-40007967

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to numerous twitter accounts, happening now.
Not too many sources yet

Update: manchester police confirms fatalities:
http://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866787322473443329

Police in Manchester have responded to an ”incident" at the city's arena, amid unconfirmed reports online of an explosion.

Greater Manchester police warned people to stay away from Manchester Arena while they dealt with the issue. Officers did not release any further details on what has happened. A concert by Ariana Grande was being staged at the time.

Hannah, who was at the concert, told the Guardian there was ”quite a loud explosion heard from inside the Manchester arena and it shook, then everyone screamed and tried to get out".

She added: ”As we got outside, lots of police came racing towards the area and the whole of the Victoria train station was surrounded by police." She said there were people were screaming and crying everywhere shouting that there's a bomb and also people were saying there's a shooter so we ran and jumped into a taxi

And we're stuck in traffic as the police are blocking off Many roads. There's sirens zooming everywhere.

Suzy Mitchell, 26, whose flat is opposite the venue, reported a huge bang rocking the neighbourhood.

She told the Press Association: ”(I) just heard a huge bang from my bed, came out to the front of my apartments (we're on the top floor so have perfect view) and everyone was running away in big crowds.

”The bang was so big I heard it from my room which is at the back of the apartment blocks.

”Currently lots of emergency services going to and from. But can't see anything substantial as of yet except fleeing people and lots of cars."

Edit: updated with more info from The Guardian

Stay safe manchestergaf

MOD EDIT:

This is a developing story of a sensitive matter. Post and discuss intelligently, with the proper tact and taste that an issue involving a tragic loss of life deserves.

Please do not give new information with no source.

Please do not give credence to a source that does not appear reliable or credible.

Remember that people, perhaps even ones reading this thread, have loved ones lost or unaccounted for.

At the time of this edit, we know only that there was an explosion in or near the Manchester Arena, leading to a mass exit of the crowds inside. Fatalities and injuries of an unknown number have been recorded, though their cause has not been made official.

Moskalova

Hazzuh

Here is a better source

Police in Manchester have responded to an ”incident" at the city's arena, amid unconfirmed reports online of an explosion.

Greater Manchester police warned people to stay away from Manchester Arena while they dealt with the issue. Officers did not release any further details on what has happened. A concert by Ariana Grande was being staged at the time.

Hannah, who was at the concert, told the Guardian there was ”quite a loud explosion heard from inside the Manchester arena and it shook, then everyone screamed and tried to get out".

She added: ”As we got outside, lots of police came racing towards the area and the whole of the Victoria train station was surrounded by police." She said there were people were screaming and crying everywhere shouting that there's a bomb and also people were saying there's a shooter so we ran and jumped into a taxi

And we're stuck in traffic as the police are blocking off Many roads. There's sirens zooming everywhere.

Suzy Mitchell, 26, whose flat is opposite the venue, reported a huge bang rocking the neighbourhood.

She told the Press Association: ”(I) just heard a huge bang from my bed, came out to the front of my apartments (we're on the top floor so have perfect view) and everyone was running away in big crowds.

”The bang was so big I heard it from my room which is at the back of the apartment blocks.

”Currently lots of emergency services going to and from. But can't see anything substantial as of yet except fleeing people and lots of cars."

More to follow...

Boem

Wait, so was it a explosion at the concert or an explosion heard during the concert by people there?

I suppose it's the latter, or there'd be more information right now. I hope it's just a technical malfunction with some technical equipment.

Damn, lots of kids there. Which makes sense given the concert. Looking at that vid it seems like the situation is under control though, the panic seems like it has more to do with people not knowing what's going on.

Lo-Volt

Following the concert or during?

As it was ending according to the updated Guardian story. People were already exiting the venue:

The Guardian said:
One fan at the concert said an explosion hit the venue as fans were leaving the building.

Majid Khan, 22, said: ”I and my sister, along with a lot of others were seeing Ariana Grande perform at Manchester Arena, and we were all exiting the venue when around 10.40-10,45pm-ish a huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone and we were all trying to flee the arena.

”It was one bang and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit Trinity Way and that was blocked so everyone was just running to any exit they could find as quickly as they could.

ChrisD

Wait, so was it a explosion at the concert or an explosion heard during the concert by people there?

I suppose it's the latter, or there'd be more information right now. I hope it's just a technical malfunction with some technical equipment.

That's what I'm wishing to hear, but seems highly unlikely. I just hope nobody was harmed.

Stealth edit: If they're shutting down stations it's definitely something more. Stay safe, Manchester.

Please be okay Manchester. I saw my first concert at that arena, back when it was the Nynex. Saw a fair few others there too, for the six or so years I was living in Manchester. I still miss that city.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Tried looking around on Twitter and typical British tabloid crap is doing it's thang again.

Good luck to anyone in the area. Hope nobody is hurt.

There's a fake photo doing the rounds on Twitter, don't be fooled by it. No concrete information yet. Presume they're going through all of the terror protocols even if there's a chance it wasn't an actual attack.

I misread the thread title as "indecent exposure during Ariana Grande concert" and was wondering why everyone was so concerned with everyone's safety.

Really hope everyone is OK though.

pulsemyne

Well something odd is going on as the police are not saying a word and just calling it an incident. Also the news channels aren't going mental yet.

Boem

Sky News says they shut down train stations.

Doesn't sound like a speaker or balloons going off

That's what I'm wishing to hear, but seems highly unlikely. I just hope nobody was harmed.

Stealth edit: If they're shutting down stations it's definitely something more. Stay safe, Manchester.

It seems it's just reports of the sound so far, without any real information (given how many people were there, if somebody saw something I think we'd know). I'm hoping the train stations and helicopters are just the police taking it as seriously as possible in case it's something more than a technical thing.

Of course, this is just me hoping for the best.

Fercho

Be aware that there are some people posting images of burned bodies and stuff in twitter. These images are fake.

It seems it's just reports of the sound so far, without any real information (given how many people were there, if somebody saw something I think we'd know). I'm hoping the train stations and helicopters are just the police taking it as seriously as possible in case it's something more than a technical thing.

Of course, this is just me hoping for the best.

Except with that many people packed into one place a sound going off that causes a mass panic will lead to trampling and even death.

PizzaFace

Banned
Something seems to be going on if the police are still reporting it as a "serious" incident. While it's easy to think the worst, there have been little to no reports of injuries, which is encouraging.

Top Bottom