• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: SoulCalibur - Beyond Arcade Perfect

Malice215

This was a great video. I still remember being blown away by visuals when I saw a demo in a store window back in '99. There was nothing like it at the time on top of offering so much in one package on console at launch, which is why it became one of the best and highest rated fighting games of all time.

It's crazy that the series went from here to then relying on gimmicks. It's also a shame that they never released a version with all the content that they had to cut from the 360 version to get it under the size requirement.

I had no idea it had been an arcade game originally

The arcade versions weren't as popular as the console versions of SC, especially with arcades on the decline at the time so that's probably why.

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast was mindblowing and still looks great today. You can say the same for SC2 aswell, especially for the old Xbox version. It's one of a few titles you could play in 720p even back then. And it looked so good.

Great video!

All the games still hold up well graphically. I play SC2 on Dolphin and it looks amazing at 1080p. SC4 from 2008 still looks better than some fighting games released in 2016.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ah perfect! Just yesterday (for some reason) I was looking at vids comparing TTT (PS2) against Soul Calibur.

protip: TTT looks a generation behind in motion, and its infinite backgrounds just look fucked. Ah man, the Dreamcast got a raw deal.

I gotta say, I watch these DF Retro vids on a 42" screen and I'm consistently surprised how clean these SD games look.

I seem to remember TTT having really impressive character models. I remember being very impressed with Jin, even using the photo mode to take pictures...back in 2000!

Daffy Duck

This is my second favourite fighting game after MKII.

The memories of me and my mate playing through this in the late 90's and having our cheese battles in case mode.

Throw in the hilarious skipping of the FMV on his PlayStation due to his laser going off and us having hysterical laughter it brings back many fond memories.

Great video once again.

Favourite game in the series when it comes to art, music and gameplay. It still holds up graphically today I think.

It's weird to me seeing Lei Long with nunchucks as here in the UK they were edited to be a three section staff.

This upset me a lot back in the day.

Soul Calibur was the most mind blowing thing I'd ever seen when it launched on the Dreamcast. Don't think I've ever had a bigger 'holy shit, next gen!' moment.

Indeed. I put so many hours into it and the wow factor never faded. It was absolutely incredible.

Atolm

Both the character models and the visual effects (fire, sparks) blowed me away back then. I thought nothing could top arcade VF3.

Soul Calibur was the most mind blowing thing I'd ever seen when it launched on the Dreamcast. Don't think I've ever had a bigger 'holy shit, next gen!' moment.
Same, we may have better looking games right now but nothing beats watching and playing with those graphics back in the day, probably the first time that an arcade machine got surpassed this bad on the graphics department.

When I saw SC video demo playing at my Best Buy in 99 I knew I had to buy the dreamcast at launch. I was a big fan of Soul Edge on PSX and when this game was shown, it's the biggest visual next gen jump I'd ever seen even to this day

rjc571

Banned
I seem to remember TTT having really impressive character models. I remember being very impressed with Jin, even using the photo mode to take pictures...back in 2000!

Yeah TTT really wiped the floor with SC graphically. The environmental details, lighting and particle effects were mind-blowing compared to what the Dreamcast had to offer. Easy to see how the DC failed when the PS2 came out just a year later and immediately made it look last-gen.

Eiji

My jaw dropped when I first saw this at my local importer shop on a large screen CRT back in mid 1999.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah TTT really wiped the floor with SC graphically. The environmental details, lighting and particle effects were mind-blowing compared to what the Dreamcast had to offer. Easy to see how the DC failed when the PS2 came out just a year later and immediately made it look last-gen.

Textures were bad compared to SC's.

The thing I always thought was unfortunate about DF:

They're a smart, very friendly channel providing fantastic analysis, but even their comments section isn't immune from fanboy craziness.

Regardless of that, I love DF and I love their Retro series.

Tekken 7 is out on time for Namco to announce Soulcalibur 6 at E3, believe!

I've played a bit of Soulcalibur on arcade, but hundreds of hours on Dreamcast, the difference in quality is huge!

WarRock

I load this up on the Dreamcast to play with friends sometimes and people still get impressed by the graphics and the audio. Such a fine game.

pswii60

It was the bump mapping which really impressed me with TTT. Few games after TTT even matched those bump mapping effects on PS2.

But that aside, I remember something weird going on with TTT where it wasn't a full 3D area, there was some fakery going on like parallax scrolling.

EDIT: Yep, you can see it in this video from 1m45s onwards - look how the background is detached from the foreground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bT6nBFXDPk

jett

D-Member

They're supposedly high poly but they're just kinda ugly.

Ig1W7bD.jpg

It was the bump mapping which really impressed me with TTT. Few games after TTT even matched those bump mapping effects.

But that aside, I remember something weird going on with TTT where it wasn't a full 3D area, there was some fakery going on like parallax scrolling.

EDIT: Yep, you can see it in this video from 1m45s onwards - look how the background is detached from the foreground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bT6nBFXDPk

Yeah that was so weird, and from memory TTT was quite shimmery.
DOA2 on the dreamcast looked pretty good at the time, especially if you had a vga box.

rjc571

Banned
They're supposedly high poly but they're just kinda ugly.

Ig1W7bD.jpg

But look at how ugly Soul Calibur's characters are in my definitely not nitpicked screen capture.
rS810fx.png

Them painted on abs, lol

EDIT: Tekken Tag had actual polygonal muscle definition

95Iyoqc.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah that was so weird, and from memory TTT was quite shimmery.
DOA2 on the dreamcast looked pretty good at the time, especially if you had a vga box.
Japanese version was shimmery but US version is crystal clear. Tekken is also a very impressive game and does push more advanced effects and geometry than Soul Calibur but it has limitations stemming from its art design (some great characters, plenty of ugly ones) and the detached backgrounds (which was inherent in the series until 4). They're both beautiful games, though.

BriGuy

Bugger fuck, I had no idea SC was re-released on the 360 (and like nine years ago at that). I was just attempting to DC emulation to run on my PC and getting fed up messing with BIOS files and other junk. I'm just going to get it on XB1 so I can play it on a modern television.

Question though: are the character and stage descriptions included? I loved just reading all that stuff from time to time too.

jett

D-Member
But look at how ugly Soul Calibur's characters are in my definitely not nitpicked screen capture.
rS810fx.png

Them painted on abs, lol

They look about as painted as these

mvricKS.jpg

You can see more of TTT in high quality here, which is where I've taken these close up shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwq7e8ZDmDg
(I think this video is actually of the PS3 remaster from Tekken Hybrid)

To me it just looks aesthetically hideous, and the animation is literally from the PS1 era. edit: In select screenshots it looks nice, but on the whole, in motion, nah.

Virtual Fighter 3 in the arcade was still the fighting game that had the biggest effect on me in regards to graphics, but the DC port of this was a close second.

I imported a Dreamcast back in the day just for this game. Worth every cent.

Them painted on abs, lol

EDIT: Tekken Tag had actual polygonal muscle definition

So? It's still much uglier than SC. Polycounts matter little compared to art direction.

And I say this as someone who thinks Tekken > SC in general.

IMO, the last truly jawdroppingly impressive fighter for its time. It was bettered by many games since, but nothing felt as 'from the future' as SC1.

Soul Calibur on DC was so mindblowing to me when I got the console at launch in 99.

I laughed at people who showed me Tekken Tag Tournament on PS2 after spending all that time waiting for the console claiming it would be so much better and that it could render the Phantom Menace CG in real time, lol... it was an ugly mess.

WarRock

Now that my wi-fi allowed me to finish watching the Retro, some comments:

I played Soul Edge some years ago at an hotel that had the cab for some reason, and yeaaaah, my general impression was that it felt really weird to play. In hindsight, I should've noticed it was 30 FPS.

The dig on Mr. Driller was unnecessary, that franchise rocks =P

DC Soul Calibur has a lot of extra content indeed. Kinda wish DF mentioned the Exhibition mode where you can watch the characters doing kata. It's absurdly impressive how good the animation still is, specially both versions of Maxi's (with one and with two nunchaku). Oh, and the SD characters doing weapon motions in the VMU still is a cool though useless feature!

rjc571

Banned
I imported a Dreamcast back in the day just for this game. Worth every cent.

So? It's still much uglier than SC. Polycounts matter little compared to art direction.

And I say this as someone who thinks Tekken > SC in general.

If art style is that important to you, do you think the arcade version of Soul Calibur looks better than the PS2 Tekken games? Do you think Soul Calibur looks better than Tekken 7 or TTT2?

Art style is completely subjective. I enjoy the art styles of both Tekken and Soul Calibur. However, Tekken Tag dwarfs Soul Calibur from a technical perspective, which makes it a far more attractive game.

The thing I always thought was unfortunate about DF:

They're a smart, very friendly channel providing fantastic analysis, but even their comments section isn't immune from fanboy craziness.

Regardless of that, I love DF and I love their Retro series.

What does this mean? Not even GAF is safe from insane fanboys. Nowhere is, it's the internet dawg.

And agreed with everyone saying this was the most mind blowing next gen moment. To come from the PS1/N64 to Soulcalibur.... insane. NFL 2K was another one.

colinp

Banned
Now that my wi-fi allowed me to finish watching the Retro, some comments:

I played Soul Edge some years ago at an hotel that had the cab for some reason, and yeaaaah, my general impression was that it felt really weird to play. In hindsight, I should've noticed it was 30 FPS.

The dig on Mr. Driller was unnecessary, that franchise rocks =P

DC Soul Calibur has a lot of extra content indeed. Kinda wish DF mentioned the Exhibition mode where you can watch the characters doing kata. It's absurdly impressive how good the animation still is, specially both versions of Maxi's (with one and with two nunchaku).

Yes! I loved watching those!

Also am I misremembering or did the intro change the more you played the game...? Or you could change the intro or something...?

DC Soul Calibur is so clean a crisp. Latest Soul Calibir looks oversaturated in detail for worst

Also, DF content is just superb. Thanks Dark!

Edit Dat VF3TB tease

the best soul calibur...so sue me..

i really dislike the later soul calibur games and their overboard character designs.

Nightmare is a demon knight in SC1....he's become something like a spawn character after.

if there's a SC6, please tone down the character designs, Namco!

The jump from years of PSone and N64 graphics to Soul Calibur at launch was mind-blowing in a way I am not sure can be replicated at the graphical heights of today. The "I didn't even know this was possible" effect how good it looked, and played. As John says, I can't think of a less controversial choice for perfect 10 review score.

Top Bottom