• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah. The diner with modern cars in front of it looks so strange lol.

My thoughts exactly lol, also surreal seeing it in HD having visited there a few times, almost takes me out of it being TP seeing the full street layout beyond. That said loving that Bang Bang Bar puddle shot in HD. Is it the 21st yet.

Solo

http://deadline.com/2017/04/ray-don...-dates-twin-peaks-finale-showtime-1202079097/

Twin Peaks will have a 2-part finale on September 3rd, 8-10pm. Assuming there are still 18 parts total, that means that they'll be skipping a week somewhere, most likely July 4th weekend.

You sure about that?

May 21 - 1, 2
May 28 - 3
June 4 - 4
June 11 - 5
June 18 - 6
June 25 - 7
July 2 - 8
July 9 - 9
July 16 - 10
July 23 - 11
July 30 - 12
August 6 - 13
August 13 - 14
August 20 - 15
August 27 - 16
September 3 - 17, 18

Checks out for me with no breaks.

PolishQ

You sure about that?

May 21 - 1, 2
May 28 - 3
June 4 - 4
June 11 - 5
June 18 - 6
June 25 - 7
July 2 - 8
July 9 - 9
July 16 - 10
July 23 - 11
July 30 - 12
August 6 - 13
August 13 - 14
August 20 - 15
August 27 - 16
September 3 - 17, 18

Checks out for me with no breaks.

3&4 air together on May 28.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That's not what the Ronnie Rocket script reads like. It's really goofy, full of special effects, with colorful cartoon characters and a whole lot of boobs.
It's less Eraserhead and more Frankenstein's High School Musical... crossed with cartoony sexploitation noir detective story culminating in some kind of Harry Potter Dragonball Z superhero stage battle.

Yep. That screenplay is a little bit weird.

Oh, I should read it one of these days. And yep, that's a Lynch script alright.

Glad to see the trailer park where Chet Desmond disappeared.

I hope his fate is addressed!

Well the trailer park's owner (played by Harry Dean Stanton) is coming back, so probably.

Flipyap

Ah. The diner with modern cars in front of it looks so strange lol.
I don't tend to measure the passage of time in cars, so that hasn't even registered with me, but I'm super curious what Lynch is going to do about modern technology and our dependence on it, since he always seemed to shy away from showing that stuff on screen.

5NFtd8a.png
Twin Peaks was one of Lynch's most anachronistic places and this might be the most advanced mobile phone to appear in a David Lynch film (I'm not sure if computers even exist in whichever dimension he came from), so I'm probably going to freak out the moment Dale Cooper pulls out his fffucking telephone.

Laurence Owen wrote a pretty funny (scary?) song about this - 21st Century Twin Peaks

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Don't many of Lynch's films revolve around how technology annihilates men from others? Eraserhead showed it with the industrial city (and the constant takes on his heater) and Lost Highway showed with the cellphone and recording stuff.

Although Twin Peaks does not revolve around that theme, I could see Lynch introducing it this time around.

Blader

That new teaser gives me FWWM vibes. Probably the colour scheme.

The lighting reminded me of FWWM too, but that might just be the difference between shooting a film (which Lynch has described this new season as) and shooting a 1990 network tv show. :lol

Flipyap

Don't many of Lynch's films revolve around how technology annihilates men from others? Eraserhead showed it with the industrial city (and the constant takes on his heater) and Lost Highway showed with the cellphone and recording stuff.

Although Twin Peaks does not revolve around that theme, I could see Lynch introducing it this time around.
I dunno. He often assigns mystical properties to common objects and concepts (Fire Walk With Me makes a big deal out of elec·tric·i·ty), but it's not like he's telling cautionary tales.

That new teaser gives me FWWM vibes. Probably the colour scheme.
Well, it does feature some locations from (and related to) Fire Walk With Me. Plus, the whole widescreen thing.
The visuals seems inconsistent - some of those shots look unfinished and raw, some have very high contrast, while the RR Diner shot stands out with its aggressive sepia filter reminiscent of the TV series. It still feels like Lynch has been sending them random scraps, leaving it to some poor Showtime folks to figure out how to make promos out of them.

0qIryXP.png
dXWPNEi.png
PFvs1mg.jpg

Actually, looking at them side-by-side, it seems like an Instagram bomb went off when they filmed that. RIP blue.

vPlgSh5.png
XvsFDaf.png

That's some quality craftsmanship, Carl. Nice modern rebranding, Carl. Where's my goddamn hot water, Carl?

I wonder if that red room shot is the actual set. Those curtains are made of a very different fabric, it looks really heavy and velvety (unless it's filthy... kinda hard to tell with youtube's compression, either way, it makes the place look more menacing than usual).

Pachimari

So before starting this, I'm reading around the Internet and found on Wikipedia, that the pilot of Season 1 was originally shown as a made-for-television film in Europe, while elsewhere it was shown as double-length episodes of approximately 90 minutes. Is there any difference between the two?

I know that there's an International pilot out there that I should ignore for now, but what about the two I described?

The lighting reminded me of FWWM too, but that might just be the difference between shooting a film (which Lynch has described this new season as) and shooting a 1990 network tv show. :lol

Thats probably it. Looks much more crisp than ever before and it's gonna be a bit jarring to see it through that lens for the first episode I think

Looks great though. God damn only a few weeks left

PolishQ

So before starting this, I'm reading around the Internet and found on Wikipedia, that the pilot of Season 1 was originally shown as a made-for-television film in Europe, while elsewhere it was shown as double-length episodes of approximately 90 minutes. Is there any difference between the two?

I know that there's an International pilot out there that I should ignore for now, but what about the two I described?
The "made for television film" is the International pilot. Lynch added roughly 30 minutes to the end of the normal pilot to give it a conclusion and make it a standalone thing. The ending of the international pilot is completely different than what eventually happens in the show, but some of the footage he shot does get repurposed for the show proper.

Maybe a stupid question, but do I have to watch season 1 and 2 to enjoy this?
Most likely, yes. And the movie, too.

Pachimari

Just finished the pilot of Season 1, first time watching this show, and that one long episode. There's so many characters that I had a little hard time keeping track of who is who, and who is bonding with who, but picked up on the sheriff, Agent Cooper, the Asian woman who owns the treadmill land, James, Joey, Bobby and his friend and the family of the victim. So I think I got the grasp of it.

It can also be seen this is a show from another era in how they act and in the portrayal of some of the interaction, and some of the acting is a bit wobbly, while most of it is actually pretty good. It's some hard stuff to watch and see what these people are going through. I love the music and the atmosphere.

Looking forward to binge watch Season 1 tomorrow.

Just finished the pilot of Season 1, first time watching this show, and that one long episode. There's so many characters that I had a little hard time keeping track of who is who, and who is bonding with who, but picked up on the sheriff, Agent Cooper, the Asian woman who owns the treadmill land, James, Joey, Bobby and his friend and the family of the victim. So I think I got the grasp of it.

It can also be seen this is a show from another era in how they act and in the portrayal of some of the interaction, and some of the acting is a bit wobbly, while most of it is actually pretty good. It's some hard stuff to watch and see what these people are going through. I love the music and the atmosphere.

Looking forward to binge watch Season 1 tomorrow.

I envy you, and hope you love it :)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
People saying that this can't even possibly be garbage are too optimistic. All that can be done is hope.
For a long time I had the that stance, but I've been lowering my expectations. It could easily turn out to be a huge mistake for a number of reasons.

That said with the circumstances behind it's creation I think it's probable that it will at the very least have amazing moments.

Airola

The "made for television film" is the International pilot. Lynch added roughly 30 minutes to the end of the normal pilot to give it a conclusion and make it a standalone thing. The ending of the international pilot is completely different than what eventually happens in the show, but some of the footage he shot does get repurposed for the show proper.

The extra stuff is actually kinda mentioned as a dream in the series. So I think it's still canon.

I mean, when Cooper tells Lucy and Harry about his dream, he describes several things that only happened in the European pilot but not in the dream we saw in the previous episode. I would say that the vision Sarah sees in the European pilot is the beginning of Cooper's dream and everything that happens after that is also part of the dream.

He tells how Sarah saw a vision of Bob. That's what happens in the European pilot. He tells Harry and Lucy were in the dream even though in the previous episode the dream didn't have them in it at all, but they were there in the European pilot after the Sarah's vision scene. He tells how Hawk drew a sketch of Bob - that happened in the European pilot. He tells Mike shot Bob - didn't happen in the previous episode but it happened in the European pilot.

So I would say the vision scene and everything that happened after that in the European pilot is a dream, the "unedited" version of the Cooper's dream - yes, even the scene with Andy and Lucy was part of that dream too.

Tokubetsu

For a long time I had the that stance, but I've been lowering my expectations. It could easily turn out to be a huge mistake for a number of reasons.

That said with the circumstances behind it's creation I think it's probable that it will at the very least have amazing moments.

I still say it's gonna end up too Lynchian for a lot of the fans of the show. Expecting almost twenty hours of just madness.

hydruxo

People saying that this can't even possibly be garbage are too optimistic. All that can be done is hope.

At the very least I'm just glad it's entirely Lynch's (and Frost's) vision all the way throughout. If it's still not good, then it is what it is, but it's really a remarkable feat that we are getting 18 hours of Twin Peaks written and directed by Lynch in 2017.

Lynch has given me enough great art for life. If he's creating something he wants the way he wants, he earned that right. He shouldn't concern himself with what we fans think. It's the worst thing he could do.

If it sucks, oh well, I'll move on with my life. No big deal.

But really I'm more interested to see where Frost and Lynch go with it. I have no expectation that it will match my imagination. I hope it doesn't. I don't want to see that. I want to see Frost/Lynch.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I still say it's gonna end up too Lynchian for a lot of the fans of the show. Expecting almost twenty hours of just madness.
I would be just fine with that to be honest. Twin Peaks was always most powerful and interesting when it went off the deep end. I do think this could be much more straight forward than a lot of people expect though, thanks to Frost's involvement.

Blader

"Pure heroin David Lynch" certainly sounds awfully Lynchian. But delving into things like the mechanics of the Red Room and Cooper's return sound more like Frost, so ideally they'll balance each other out, much like in the first season and first half of S2.

Saladinoo

So guys, sadly I don't tave the time to re-watch the entire series and FWWM before the new season, I've had the entire mystery unopened for more than a year.

I am wondering if i should put watching the premiere off for a few days and read The Secret History though - for any of you that have read the book, I know you can't say for certain, but does it look to be essential for maximal enjoyment of the new series? Do you envisage lots of references to the book?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So guys, sadly I don't tave the time to re-watch the entire series and FWWM before the new season, I've had the entire mystery unopened for more than a year.

I am wondering if i should put watching the premiere off for a few days and read The Secret History though - for any of you that have read the book, I know you can't say for certain, but does it look to be essential for maximal enjoyment of the new series? Do you envisage lots of references to the book?
I haven't read it. I'm sure there'll be tie-ins in there, but I highly doubt it will be essential since David Lynch hasn't read it and implied he disagrees with Frost's take there.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't read it. I'm sure there'll be tie-ins in there, but I highly doubt it will be essential since David Lynch hasn't read it and implied he disagrees with Frost's take there.

Ouch, Lynch really doesn't like to compromise after Dune, does he?

PolishQ

I don't regret reading it, but I get the feeling that because Frost didn't want to spoil anything from the new show, he prevented himself from making the book essential reading. So no, I wouldn't worry if you don't have time to read it.

I would recommend at least rewatching the Lynch-directed episodes of the original show, FWWM, and the Missing Pieces. That's what I'm doing.

Airing on the 22nd in the UK, just saw the trailer on Sky Movies.

Interesting approach to marketing, they showed the ending of the second season and then cut to Cooper emerging from the dark. Props for not having a trailer that reveals all the major beats.

thenexus6

Airing on the 22nd in the UK, just saw the trailer on Sky Movies.

Interesting approach to marketing, they showed the ending of the second season and then cut to Cooper emerging from the dark. Props for not having a trailer that reveals all the major beats.

Grrr on Sky Atlantic - the only channel we don't get on Virgin. I hope there is another wait I can legally watch alone. Hoping iTunes or Google do something as it airs.

Flipyap

I would be just fine with that to be honest. Twin Peaks was always most powerful and interesting when it went off the deep end. I do think this could be much more straight forward than a lot of people expect though, thanks to Frost's involvement.
I don't know if it's wise to underestimate Frost's own brand of weirdness. Plus, the way cast members have described Lynch's approach to filming this show makes it sound like there isn't much Frost could do if he wanted to keep Lynch grounded, or anywhere near Earth's orbit.

(KM = Kyle MacLachlan)
G77qOAE.png

The dossier and the character reporting on it (of whom we know next to nothing) might show up in the new show, but most of its actual story revolves around faux-historical trivia and the misadventures of Dougie Milford.
I suspect (hope) that it's the show that will retroactively increase my enjoyment of the book, because right now the most interesting thing about the book is what it doesn't reference (the book doesn't make any mention of Annie and everything surrounding her family ties is filled with so many inconsistencies, it simply had to be done on purpose... or it was written by Frost's doppelganger who has never seen the show).

Pachimari

With just 21 days I have still to finish Season 2 of Fargo, and catching up with Season 1 and 2 and the movie of Twin Peaks, ugh.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it's kind of annoying they changed the board to require registration just to lurk, but I'd say it's worth it. Lot of good discussion to be had there.

I'll probably do it later this week, it must be filled with great fans in there.

Which reminds me, is anyone doing the OT for the new season? We need a MGS4-level OT.

I'll probably do it later this week, it must be filled with great fans in there.

Which reminds me, is anyone doing the OT for the new season? We need a MGS4-level OT.

Maybe someone called it already not sure, don't think I'd do it justice, am shit at layout/photoshop. Surely someone here that's halfway competent at OTs can give it a crack, if not guess Cornballer can whip up one.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to do it as well, but I also suck at image editing, and Twin Peaks deserves something great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom