• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Loto

Nice thread! It has been far too long of a wait for a new Dragon Quest game to release outside of Japan.

I sold my mint copy of 7 (PS1) to a fellow Gaffer thinking the 3DS version would be localized. I hope I don't regret that decision.

Faustek

Shu is seriously cute and Cernys voice should be in all otome games and as for Shibata? Something about hum just screams playful.

So yes sometimes that flows through me here on GAF. I think I just had the luck of the Irish and picked the right moments to share.

Edit: but hey, no derails, more DQ. Scream and shout for more :)

turnbuckle

Nice thread! It has been far too long of a wait for a new Dragon Quest game to release outside of Japan.

It seemed not so long ago that DQ games were a foregone conclusion to come over here. I had/have the first 4 Dragon Warrior games on the NES since I was a kid and the pain of seeing SNES games in the series not make it over here broke my heart. 20ish years later and that wound has re-opened itself.

With Nintendo's Wi-Fi service being shut down for old DS/Wii games it makes it even worse knowing that I'll never get to do a genuine re-play of Dragon Quest 9 and finally 100% it one day.

codhand

I have honestly written a lot of homo erotic "fan pieces" about Shu/Cerny, Shibata and I but if this ever happens I might actually go Over the top.

Let's keep the dream alive.

dylan-shock.gif

Faustek

It seemed not so long ago that DQ games were a foregone conclusion to come over here. I had/have the first 4 Dragon Warrior games on the NES since I was a kid and the pain of seeing SNES games in the series not make it over here broke my heart. 20ish years later and that wound has re-opened itself.

With Nintendo's Wi-Fi service being shut down for old DS/Wii games it makes it even worse knowing that I'll never get to do a genuine re-play of Dragon Quest 9 and finally 100% it one day.

Wasn't that on SEs own servers?

hemtae

1, 2, 3: SNES
4: DS
5: PS2
6: SNES is my preferred version, I like the DS version a lot less, but the fan translation of the SNES version leaves a fair bit to be desired.

What makes the DS version of IV the best? It was the only one I played but I thought I remembered something about them cutting out party chat.

Mr. RPG

Haha, see you in the next Nintendo Direct hype thread.

Haha I was there in the February Nintendo Direct thread hyping up for Dragon Quest VII. It never came. That was a terrible Nintendo Direct. Something tells me they are going to skip this month. The last one was February 13, right?

Faustek

One of my two favorite RPG series. Hard to imagine I got introduced to it only a few years ago.

Yes, they have taken it down some while back already.

Oh crap, I updated about 6 months ago. To bad about the new players missing all the extras though :(

Refyref

What makes the DS version of IV the best? It was the only one I played but I thought I remembered something about them cutting out party chat.

It's an updated version of the remake on the PS1. Party chat was cut in the English version, but in English, the only alternative would be the old NES version.

Better music and battles, mostly. The PS1 version sounds less lively (with a couple of exceptions), and it lacks the idle animations of the enemy sprites/updated UI in battles. But there's really not much separating them. The DS version is very largely based on the PS1 version but still there are a few graphical differences.

turnbuckle

I haven't played it in awhile but from what I'm reading online it's still available. But it won't be after May 20th. Seeing this from other forums and websites as well as a nice piece by Jeremy Parish:

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection And The New Impermanence Of Gaming

Jeremy Parish said:
Nintendo's recent decision to shut down its Wi-Fi Connection service this coming May is the first time I've been forced to deal with this sort of obsolescence face-to-face. I tend to avoid multiplayer games, including the multiplayer modes of primarily single-player games, so the loss of online support has never directly affected me. Until now, I've been able to dodge the darkened server bullet. But not every DS game that made use of WFC did so for the sake of multiplayer. One of those, it just so happens, was the single game I played more of than any other on DS, and one I had hoped to revisit someday: Dragon Quest IX.

By the time I put my copy of DQIX down a few years ago, I had something like 160 hours invested in it. Maybe a whole two of those hours were spent in multiplayer mode, and that wasn't done through WFC – DQIX offered only local multiplayer. Nevertheless, even though it was a retail-only release, DQIX incorporated online components that require a publisher-supported infrastructure... and once WFC goes away, so do those elements. Specifically, it'll lose out on the brilliantly named DQVC shopping network.

Pharaun

Old school DQ fan checking in. I got introduced to the series waaaaaaay back in the day when Nintendo was giving away copies of Dragon Warrior with Nintendo Power subscriptions.

terrisus

Wasn't that on SEs own servers?

Oh crap, I updated about 6 months ago. To bad about the new players missing all the extras though :(

I haven't played it in awhile but from what I'm reading online it's still available. But it won't be after May 20th. Seeing this from other forums and websites as well as a nice piece by Jeremy Parish:

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection And The New Impermanence Of Gaming

Yeah, that's one of the things that upsets me most about online play/online connectivity/any online features, is that, once something is no longer profitable, too much of a hassle to keep up, or things have moved on or whatever, and the online/connected aspects are no longer available, it messes up the intended experience.

While for many people who just move onto the next new thing after a month that's not a big deal, but for someone like me who's constantly playing games 20-30 years old, that's a significant consideration. And it's definitely disappointing that a game as amazing as Dragon Quest IX is going to suffer some as a result of it.

Of course, Dragon Quest X is the one that will be hit hardest by that.

Wazzy

Banned
Honestly? Low, now after Bravely Defaults success? Higher. I would guess that a remake of VIII is already happening in the land of the rising Sun.

Welcome to old children's entertainment.(screw children I'm old and I still like it)

I guess that's better than nothing. Here's hoping it's brought over!

turnbuckle

Yeah, that's one of the things that upsets me most about online play/online connectivity/any online features, is that, once something is no longer profitable, too much of a hassle to keep up, or things have moved on or whatever, and the online/connected aspects are no longer available, it messes up the intended experience.

While for many people who just move onto the next new thing after a month that's not a big deal, but for someone like me who's constantly playing games 20-30 years old, that's a significant consideration. And it's definitely disappointing that a game as amazing as Dragon Quest IX is going to suffer some as a result of it.

Of course, Dragon Quest X is the one that will be hit hardest by that.

Yup.

At least in the case of Dragon Quest IX there are ways to get around it...but ways that kind of ruin the point of playing a little bit every day. One of the fun things with the game was just the randomness of what's in the shop. The randomness of getting certain special maps and such as well as the different themes and special periods where certain exclusive things were only available.

Now we're either stuck not having access to that at all or using a hack/cheat to get those things. It's a way to get 100%, but it's not the way I'd like to do it. If it were, I'd have cheated long ago.

With Dragon Quest X being available on PC I wonder if there'll come a day when someone will set up private servers long after the game is shuttered. I sure hope something like that occurs since it doesn't look like I'll get a way to experience it any other way (don't speak or understand a bit of Japanese).

If they'd bring Dragon Quest X over here for PC I'd pick it up in an instant. I remember how excited I was just to run the DQ X benchmark test and saw how beautiful most of the game looked on my computer. Much better than the Wii version. But it was just a painful tease for a game I'll likely never get to play :(

If the pc version ever makes it over. Give it a while, pretty sure "private" servers will be a thing there as well.

Nothing we can do but hope. It's things like this that justify a person wanting a console to sell really well. I find console wars discussion a sort of fun meta-game, but the reality is there are always going to be losers. I have little doubt that if the Wii U exploded over here that we'd be hearing about a port, and maybe a PC port to follow. Same for the 3DS DQ games - if the 3DS were really the second coming of the DS then fortune would be smiling upon us.

Faustek

About the DQIX maps..don't you get them all in one go and just need to randomly "activate" them when finishing one?

FYI I haven't finished all the extras just the main story line and perhaps 20 dungeons. Never found a high lvl one yet ;(

Refyref

I do believe that in this instance the problem is SE's localization priorities. Or lack thereof. They're pretty much only localizing the biggest games they have, with some few exceptions. Drakengard 3 getting localized was a huge surprise.

jaxword

I visited Square Enix HQ a little while ago.

TONS of DQ related material, you guys would find it a paradise. So many toys and collectables.

Faustek

I visited Square Enix HQ a little while ago.

TONS of DQ related material, you guys would find it a paradise. So many toys and collectables.

I know a mad scientist that have developed a mind control chip. If iI introduced Krieger to you can you take him to HQ?

I wish, dang so jealous of you right now.

terrisus

Yup.

At least in the case of Dragon Quest IX there are ways to get around it...but ways that kind of ruin the point of playing a little bit every day. One of the fun things with the game was just the randomness of what's in the shop. The randomness of getting certain special maps and such as well as the different themes and special periods where certain exclusive things were only available.

Now we're either stuck not having access to that at all or using a hack/cheat to get those things. It's a way to get 100%, but it's not the way I'd like to do it. If it were, I'd have cheated long ago.

With Dragon Quest X being available on PC I wonder if there'll come a day when someone will set up private servers long after the game is shuttered. I sure hope something like that occurs since it doesn't look like I'll get a way to experience it any other way (don't speak or understand a bit of Japanese).

If they'd bring Dragon Quest X over here for PC I'd pick it up in an instant. I remember how excited I was just to run the DQ X benchmark test and saw how beautiful most of the game looked on my computer. Much better than the Wii version. But it was just a painful tease for a game I'll likely never get to play :(

Nothing we can do but hope. It's things like this that justify a person wanting a console to sell really well. I find console wars discussion a sort of fun meta-game, but the reality is there are always going to be losers. I have little doubt that if the Wii U exploded over here that we'd be hearing about a port, and maybe a PC port to follow. Same for the 3DS DQ games - if the 3DS were really the second coming of the DS then fortune would be smiling upon us.

Yeah, I definitely hope that Dragon Quest X manages to have private servers to continue it after Square-Enix has moved on.
And I definitely hope it comes to the US at all =(

Carlisle

There's a motivator! 7 kittens left to save, then. And it would be so much more likely to happen if we could get that VII 3DS stateside :/

Narras

I was introduced to Dragon Quest by Dragon Warrior Monsters. I also thought that game was way better than Pokemon. I've been a fan of Dragon Quest ever since then.

Mix

Dragon Quest VIII or bust, seriously, my favorite game of all time, and I'm a shooter fan to the core, Halo all 13 years now, but this game fucking rules.

KiTA

Was there any plans to bring DQ7 over? I haven't heard much but any news would be great.

We don't know. It doesn't look good. SE has basically given up on localizing their own content outside of huge AAA games, anything less than that is beneath them. (Which makes Bravely Default outselling Lightning Returns kinda a form of poetic justice.)

Nintendo might pick it up. It's highly unlikely we'll see DQX or the DQM games, if they do -- although the DQM games... maybe they'll pick them up just cause they're cheap to localize?

At this point, we have what, 4 games that are in limbo?

DQX
DQ7
DQM: Terry's Wonderland
DQM2

I'm probably forgetting one or two.

We don't know. It doesn't look good. SE has basically given up on localizing their own content outside of huge AAA games, anything less than that is beneath them. (Which makes Bravely Default outselling Lightning Returns kinda a form of poetic justice.)

Nintendo might pick it up. It's highly unlikely we'll see DQX or the DQM games, if they do -- although the DQM games... maybe they'll pick them up just cause they're cheap to localize?

At this point, we have what, 4 games that are in limbo?

DQX
DQ7
DQM: Terry's Wonderland
DQM2

I'm probably forgetting one or two.

Rocket Slime 3DS

Gloam

Happy to see this thread. Unhappy to read about Faust's slash fiction, won't be able to get that outta my head for a couple of days.

I'm still plugging away at DQX if anyone is interested in partying up let me know.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm playing Dragon Quest VII right now, I've been trying to get through this game since its release, but every time sometimes happens to keep me from it.
The first few times I had a shitty third party memory card and I lost my save, my furthest was about 60 hours in. After that I often started the game and played up to about Dharma Temple and then stopped and when I picked it up again I felt like I should start over since it has been so long.
I feel this time I'll do it, I'm currently at the Coliseum, but the convenience of being able to switch between playing this on PSX and PSP helps me find the time to play. I love this game, it's one of my favorites in the series, so I really want to beat it this time.

Aeana

Happy to see this thread. Unhappy to read about Faust's slash fiction, won't be able to get that outta my head for a couple of days.

I'm still plugging away at DQX if anyone is interested in partying up let me know.

Do you play alone or are other folks still playing with you [or did you join a Japanese guild]?

I'm playing Dragon Quest VII right now, I've been trying to get through this game since its release, but every time sometimes happens to keep me from it.
The first few times I had a shitty third party memory card and I lost my save, my furthest was about 60 hours in. After that I often started the game and played up to about Dharma Temple and then stopped and when I picked it up again I felt like I should start over since it has been so long.
I feel this time I'll do it, I'm currently at the Coliseum, but the convenience of being able to switch between playing this on PSX and PSP helps me find the time to play. I love this game, it's one of my favorites in the series, so I really want to beat it this time.

I'm really envious, because DQ7 has so many stories I'd like to experience again for the first time. Some of them still make me cry even after playing it so many times, though.

terrisus

Also, another topic for discussion -

Normally I never do emulation for anything, I like to actually have possession of all the games that I own, and play on their actual hardware. Which obviously meant I was excluded from the SFC versions of Dragon Quest V and VI.

I got the DS versions of V and VI when they came out, but my big issue with them is I just don't really like the 3D look of them (and I have the same issue with IV - got that for DS as well, but I still prefer the NES version).

I definitely think I would enjoy V and VI much more in 2D form. But, not knowing Japanese nearly well enough to play them in that (took a semester of it in college like 10 years ago, but that's about it), that leaves me with either importing them and playing them with a printed out translation guide, or backing them up and applying a translation patch I guess.

Can anyone who has played both the SFC and DS versions of V and VI comment on how they felt they compared?

Sojiro

What a wonderful thread, subscribed! Here is a brief history of me and the DQ series.

DQ I - First ever JRPG I played, played it before FF1, although I preferred FF1 at the time. Very memorable game, really kicked off my love for JRPG games.

DQ II - Never Played

DQ III - I remember renting this many times when I younger, I never finished it though. Thought it was really good, loved the customization you could do with your characters. My favorite RPG on the NES.

DQ IV - Played it on the DS, and really liked it. I thought the idea with the different characters chapters that you play through and eventually come together, was really well done.

DQ V - Also played this on the DS. Its a good game, don't get me wrong, plays like a DQ game and it has great story, but the thing that bothers me is having to use monsters a party members for a long time in the game. Don't ask me why, but I just don't like it, and much prefer having other characters. Game is great, the issue is mine alone.

DQ VI - Also played this on the DS, shortly after 4 and 5. By this time I was getting really fatigued of DQ after playing the other two right before. The story also wasn't doing much for me. I know I finished it, but I honestly don't remember much of it.

DQ VII- Ah the first jump into 3D environments. When this game came out it absolutely consumed me. It is just so damn big, and playing it on the PS2 (which I remember getting not long after its release) really sharpened up those sprites. My favorite DQ game in the series, there is just so much to it. Funnily enough, I have yet to finish the game. I know my old save on my PS1 is around the 80 hour mark, but I think stuff on my PS2 pulled me away from the game, and I never picked it up again. I really need to finish it.

DQ VIII - I have owned this game for about 3 years and still haven't played it, picked it up in a bargin bin at gamestop for 12 bucks. Yes, I know, that is horrible, and about 2-3 months ago I tried to rectify that issues (especially after all the awesome things I hear about it), but alas my PS2 will not read the disc. I think its starting to go out, and I probably need to pick up another PS2 off ebay. I know the disc works because I tested it on my buds PS3. I will dive into this game, and after what everyone says i'm eager to play it.

DQ IX - Picked this up a while ago and I absolutely love it. Its close to being my favorite DQ game. It just has so much to it, and I love how the quest system is done. Really like how skills are learned with weapons (I know DQ VIII introduced it, but I still have yet to play) and the endgame treasure map dungeons, are really awesome. If it weren't for the souless blank characters you hire from the bar and nostalgia for VII, it'd probably be my favorite of the series.

The only off shoot DQ game I have invested any serious time into is Rocket Slime, and its an amazing game. Some of the tank battles get super hectic, but its nothing but pure fun.

Once I finally get a different PS2 unit I will definitely jump into DQ8 and see how that is. I expect great things with what I see about the game. Really hoping we see both Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest X make it stateside. Even though I already own VII, having a portable copy will make playing it a lot easier for me, I personally see it happening more so than DQX these days but we'll see. If I had to only choose one, I personally would pick DQX. Watching the let's play Saigancat does of it, really makes me want the game so damn bad, and I get some serious FFXI vibes from the game, which is my personal fave MMO.

randomkid

Normally I never do emulation for anything, I like to actually have possession of all the games that I own, and play on their actual hardware. Which obviously meant I was excluded from the SFC versions of Dragon Quest V and VI.

I got the DS versions of V and VI when they came out, but my big issue with them is I just don't really like the 3D look of them (and I have the same issue with IV - got that for DS as well, but I still prefer the NES version).

I definitely think I would enjoy V and VI much more in 2D form. But, not knowing Japanese nearly well enough to play them in that (took a semester of it in college like 10 years ago, but that's about it), that leaves me with either importing them and playing them with a printed out translation guide, or backing them up and applying a translation patch I guess.

Can anyone who has played both the SFC and DS versions of V and VI comment on how they felt they compared?

I can only speak to V but like Aeana said the best version of that game is actually on PS2. If your computer can handle the emulation, pop in a disc (or burn it to make things run even better) and you'll get to experience the insanely beautiful orchestrated soundtrack (this adds so much more than you think it does) and very nice clean revamped full-3D visuals instead of the sort of gross looking 3D DS/DQ7 engine versions.

Aeana

The remakes of 5 -- both the PS2 and DS -- are considerably upgraded over the original SFC release. To speak of nothing else, they have a 4th party member slot and the item bag. But I still like to play the SFC version of 5 from time to time, because there's a lot of nostalgia in it for me. It was the first game I ever lined up for at release, after all. It's slower and a bit less convenient, but if you're used to 4 on NES, then you won't have a problem with this. As an aside, I'm not a fan of the additions in the DS version. Deborah doesn't feel well-integrated, and the fact that they changed the NPC designs to match 6 and 7 really bothered me. I know you said you don't like the 3D look, but I do wonder if that applies to the PS2 version of 5 as well? I think that game is beautiful and always thought it was the perfect look for classic DQ.

Now, the SFC version of 6 is just plain better than the DS version. The DS version doesn't really offer anything that you could look at and point to as better, and it has several things that are worse (pacing, music, could go either way on graphical style I guess). I would and always do recommend it over the DS version, especially for those who come off of 6 DS thinking that the stories aren't memorable. It really makes me sad since I think the stories in 6 are some of the best in the series, but it's understandable because the pacing in the DS version is so fast that you just whiz through everything and there's no lasting impact.

Psxphile

Nice thread, but am I to believe GAF didn't already have a DQ community thread?

Saddened that DQ7 still hasn't been brought over. I refuse, simply REFUSE to play the PS1 version, knowing a better version exists even if it's unreadable.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Dragon Quest 8 and everyone involved in its creation (and localization) for making me fall in love with the series all over again. DW1 was my first jRPG when it came with my Nintendo Power subscription, but I eventually dropped it like a bad habit to pursue its perceived rivals, the Final Fantasies. I dabbled with DW3 a bit along the way but it couldn't hold my interest for long. I missed out on a few titles that came out over the years, notably DW7 but once Square-Enix was a thing and DQVIII was announced I was smitten all over again. I've since gone back and (re)played the Loto trilogy on GBC and more recently the DS remakes. I ignored DQIX, though. Hm...

And that's my story.

(urge to craft Ys community thread, rising)

Gloam

Do you play alone or are other folks still playing with you [or did you join a Japanese guild]?

I'm mostly playing during Kids Time at the moment which is about 7am over here, so don't get a chcnce to party up with people too much. I joined the Megaton Rangers back in the day but no-one seems to be logging on anymore. So mostly, I just hire out people on my friends list.
I've been meaning to resubscribe for some time now but since moving from the Wii version the process is a little more complicated than it used to be, Webmoney is a tricky business, I'd like to play more seriously soon, so I'll have to figure it out at some point!

Aeana

Nice thread, but am I to believe GAF didn't already have a DQ community thread?

Saddened that DQ7 still hasn't been brought over. I refuse, simply REFUSE to play the PS1 version, knowing a better version exists even if it's unreadable.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Dragon Quest 8 and everyone involved in its creation (and localization) for making me fall in love with the series all over again. DW1 was my first jRPG when it came with my Nintendo Power subscription, but I eventually dropped it like a bad habit to pursue its perceived rivals, the Final Fantasies. I dabbled with DW3 a bit along the way but it couldn't hold my interest for long. I missed out on a few titles that came out over the years, notably DW7 but once Square-Enix was a thing and DQVIII was announced I was smitten all over again. I've since gone back and (re)played the Loto trilogy on GBC and more recently the DS remakes. I ignored DQIX, though. Hm...

And that's my story.

(urge to craft Ys community thread, rising)

The last major DQ community-like thread was my appreciation thread from a very long time ago. I never made a community thread because I got tired of making threads only to see them die due to lack of interest. I guess in a post-9 world, there's a bit more interest in the series, so I'm glad Jucksalbe made it.

Refyref

It took me a bit to warm up to it, but I actually like the look of the DQ7 engine - at least in the DS remakes, where you can spin the camera all around. I don't know, just something about it. I feels like a cleaner looking style of Super Mario RPG's world, while characters being sprites prevents that weird CG look SMRPG characters had.

Top Bottom