• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race |OT| Time to get tucked and bring back the girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

really? I don't find him that attractive, especially next to the other guy (Jason I think). That guy's a fuckin' stallion.

Team Jason all the way, baby! There's just something so handsome about him.
u3KVp.gif

Not that I'd kick either out of bed, though.
3buIP.gif

Lear

Drama! I love it. Though I'm sad Willam had to go, I thought she was hilarious. No idea what she did. I've seen everything from drugs to fucking a production member (or one of the pit crew - lucky bitch).

Worst thing about it though is that we didn't get the satisfaction of Sharon sending Phi Phi's bitch ass home. She was the clear winner of that lipsync, right? I think Ru needs to ban the ripping off of wigs during lip-syncs. It's so tried at this point.

That Lucien guy was fine, he can come back any day.

Ha ha, Willam Gate 2012. I still have to watch the episode but Twitter went ape shit last night over the whole thing. I've heard a bunch of rumors (drugs, hormones, leaking info) but in true stunt queen fashion they are holding the info till the reunion. I am sad Willam is gone, he was really funny.

Also:

tumblr_lzrt121M9C1qgxowio1_500.gif

Drama! I love it. Though I'm sad Willam had to go, I thought she was hilarious. No idea what she did. I've seen everything from drugs to fucking a production member (or one of the pit crew - lucky bitch).

Worst thing about it though is that we didn't get the satisfaction of Sharon sending Phi Phi's bitch ass home. She was the clear winner of that lipsync, right? I think Ru needs to ban the ripping off of wigs during lip-syncs. It's so tried at this point.

That Lucien guy was fine, he can come back any day.

Sharon Needles mopped the floor with her in that lipsync. She was hilarious and in character the entire time. Phi Phi successfully managed to recreate every lipsync faux-pas that past terrible contestants have always done.

1. Wig tossing
2. Shoe tossing
3. Flailing locked arms like Beyonce in a seizure
4. Backward half split thing
5. That weird back kick flail thing that the editors always wanna show in slow motion
6. Shoving the other contestant out of the way

GO HOME.

And I'll miss Willam dearly. The level of stoic fierceness and hilarity embodied in her subtle nuances is unreal. One of my all-time favorite queens.

I'll make this short and sweet. :p

Willam may be a cheater but I fucking loved him on the show. Phi Phi is so stale and I really hope she is not in the final 3 for the season finale, ugh. Kick her off already RuPaul!!

Tron 2.0

Sharon is my hands-down favorite.

I think Phi Phi is good at what she does, but there isn't anything particularly unique or special about her.

Chad is the consummate professional. Even when her stuff isn't great, it's competent. And, yes, her runway tonight nailed it.

I love Latrice, but tonight I felt like she dropped the ball. Her runways are missing something for me, something intangible that would tie it all together.

Dida seems really nice, but bland. Michelle's critique was spot on. Dida's never 100% together and really struggled in the challenges.

And tonight's final twist is kind of annoying.

OMG, my queen Gaga tweeted about Sharon Needles

Sharon Needles looks FABULOUS 2night on drag race. Very Born This Way outfit/fame monster wig. Any rentals for my tour. #needthatbodysuit

And Sharon responded on Facebook!

It's just pantyhose sewn together! You can borrow it if I can find it!

You know you've made it when the most popular person on Twitter is tweetin' about ya :D

Sharon4Lyfe

Wilsongt

Kenya coming back, and my top 4 will be back to what it originally was. Latrice, Sharon, Chad, and Kenya. Phi Phi needs to go.

Willam or Princess please. Kenya's pretty but all that fierceness doesn't translate to good performances. Every non-beauty challenge has been a colossal failure for her. Except the wrestling one of course.

I have a feeling it's Dida because in the first trailer that was released there's a clip of her and Phi Phi running toward a pile of gift bags, and I don't think I remember seeing those yet. But I really really hope it isn't Dida

Willam or Princess please. Kenya's pretty but all that fierceness doesn't translate to good performances. Every non-beauty challenge has been a colossal failure for her. Except the wrestling one of course.

I have a feeling it's Dida because in the first trailer that was released there's a clip of her and Phi Phi running toward a pile of gift bags, and I don't think I remember seeing those yet. But I really really hope it isn't Dida

I'd like to see ANYONE but Kenya. She makes me throw up in my mouth with that grim little open lipped pout face she does. Pls go away forever, Kenya. I'd like to see that very first queen come back just because we know almost nothing about her. And no Dida please-- this week's ep cemented that she's a dim, boring know-nothing.

Also, Sharon Needles for president.

So Willam eligible to come back? That's kind of stupid, but I'd love for him to be back on the show, specifically so he can give Phi Phi a total nervous breakdown.

I wouldn't mind Kenya coming back, but I can't see her advancing any further, unless she took an ESL cram course.

There aren't really any queens I want back aside from Willam. I just want Phi Phi to get sent back to the gutter as soon as possible.

royalan

Ugh, I just can't get on board with Sharon. It doesn't help that she's one of the shittiest people you'd ever meet out-of-drag, but I just really want to see her look polished. She never does. And whenever she gets clocked on it she hides behind her bullshit "you just don't get what I'm doing" excuse. You can do alternative drag and still look polished. Plenty of Pittsburgh queens do it. Alaska Thunderfuck (a better queen than Sharon will ever be) does it. Nina Flowers did it.

I adore Chad's polish. She always looks put-together and she really thinks about her approach to each challenge. She brings an air of professionalism that a lot of people don't give drag credit for. She's this season's Shannel, except a ton more likable. She just needs to do something exciting to make herself more of a threat.

And it must be said again: she slays that runway every. freaking. week:

2brlA.gif

I just can't handle all that flawless.

Ugh, I just can't get on board with Sharon. It doesn't help that she's one of the shittiest people you'd ever meet out-of-drag.

I didn't want to bring it up in the thread and be that guy, but I have a good friend from Pittsburgh that knew Sharon before she was a drag queen and just Aaron, and he pretty much said the same thing. I remember him talking about how much he disliked him a long time ago, way before Sharon Needles was invented. My friend's best comment was "It's a testament to the editing skills of reality TV, they make it look like he's actually a good person." I still like her though.

I do feel bad for Chad, I feel like he's so consistent and talented (and a pretty established drag star already) and he keeps being over shadowed by contestants who are less talented but make for better TV. Raja was sort of the same way in some aspects (had an established career and an extremely polished look) but Raja seemed way more cutthroat. Chad doesn't seem to have mean bone in his body. It is a total sham that Chad didn't win this week, he killed it, especially on the runway.

I admire polish, but polished queens don't make interesting queens. I prefer experimental people who care more about being editorial or controversial than just being "pretty." If I want pretty I would just go outside and stare at pretty ladies. I want shock, larger-than-life looks. Chad Michaels is probably the most polished drag queen in the history of the show, and her personality is warm and poised. She's awesome. And she'll probably win because she's got all the right traits. But she just ain't Sharon Needles. Sharon is polished enough but also has the charisma, outrageousness, sense of humor and nerve that makes her a one-of-a-kind personality.

royalan

I didn't want to bring it up in the thread and be that guy, but I have a good friend from Pittsburgh that knew Sharon before she was a drag queen and just Aaron, and he pretty much said the same thing. I remember him talking about how much he disliked him a long time ago, way before Sharon Needles was invented. My friend's best comment was "It's a testament to the editing skills of reality TV, they make it look like he's actually a good person." I still like her though.

Yeah, I didn't know Sharon personally when I lived in Pittsburgh (went to college there), but I knew of him and ran into him at parties (usually Alaska's notorious house parties), and he and his group were just vile.

I'll never forget; one year a good friend of mine threw a party at her apartment and Sharon and his Avalon crew showed up. Within an hour I had to help my friend throw them out because they were completely whacked on lord knows what, being obnoxious assholes, and Sharon was tagging his stupid fucking signature all over my friend's apartment with a sharpie. The walls, the fridge, the fruit in her fruit basket. And for no discernible reason. I almost decked him. Such a fucking shit.

To this day it surprises me that he and Alaska are dating, because as far as I know Alaska's reputation is the complete opposite. Everyone I know who knows him thinks he's a total sweetheart, which is funny because his drag persona is a total bitch. The very first college party I went to after coming out was a Halloween party Alaska and his then-roommate threw. Got underage-wasted many a time thanks to Alaska...*sigh*. Hope he makes it onto the show eventually.

I admire polish, but polished queens don't make interesting queens. I prefer experimental people who care more about being editorial or controversial than just being "pretty." If I want pretty I would just go outside and stare at pretty ladies. I want shock, larger-than-life looks. Chad Michaels is probably the most polished drag queen in the history of the show, and her personality is warm and poised. She's awesome. And she'll probably win because she's got all the right traits. But she just ain't Sharon Needles. Sharon is polished enough but also has the charisma, outrageousness, sense of humor and nerve that makes her a one-of-a-kind personality.

I agree. I find most pageant queens super boring and lame. I think Sharon is really talented and funny and she's obviously really smart. I would be excited if she won. However, I have heard a lot of talk about her being kind of nasty in person. I'm sure some of it is Phi Phi-esque jealousy from other queens, but I've heard it enough to think there's probably some truth to it. I wasn't going to mention it because it doesn't really warrant a ton of discussion, but since someone else mentioned it I thought I'd bring it up.

royalan

Eh, I like pageant queens. They have their place. Sometimes you just want to see a fierce queen be fierce.

But that's not what I mean when I refer to Sharon's polish. Polish isn't about being pretty. It's about communicating your look - whatever your look is.

Hair: right
Makeup: right
Outfit: right

Too many times Sharon walks that runway and I see hints of a great concept peaking through...But then I notice the crooked wig and the glue we shouldn't be able to see. Then I notice the badly-sculpted padding and complete lack of blending and parts of the outfit that look thrift-store in a way that they shouldn't (so glad when Santino clocked her on that). And I just want to yell POLISH YOURSELF!

To me, Nina Flowers is still a great example of alternative, experimental drag that also has a high level of polish:

JbprD.jpg

THE ABSENCE OF FLAW

Raja is also a good example of polished "alternative" drag, even though most people don't consider her since she tended to lean more towards editorial more than pure shock.

Sharon's makeup is always flawless, so that's polish. Her looks can seem less expensive than other queens' but her style has always been bar-grunge, so it isn't necessarily lower than what she's used to displaying. She comes from the underground alternative scene in Pittsburg. This is what queens wear there. The difference is that Sharon channels that aesthetic but with a great deal of thought and energy behind each runway look. Her look most recently was fucking brilliant. No it wasn't an expensive gown like what Chad had on, but her rationale for it was hilarious and intelligent. It was also made completely out of panty hose. When you say all that to me, and the outfit looks pretty damn good at that, then you have my complete respect.

As far as I'm concerned, she's got enough polish to take her over the top. She doesn't have the decades-long experience or resources as Chad Michaels, but she's showed me that you don't need high-quality materials to make something fierce and attention-grabbing.

needles-540x370.jpg

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Can't stand Phi Phi. Think she's hot shit. And her 'debate' thing was horrific.

Sharon Needles is hilarious and very entertaining - I didn't really know of her backstory but the ones about her being a total dick don't surprise me. Still, she's good watching :p

royalan

Huh? Sharon Needles make up is always flawless?

itJFg.png

Look at the uneven eyes. The GLUE around the edges of the wig! The terrible, uneven padding! And this was supposed to be one of her GLAM looks. I just can't.

I know the Pittsburgh grunge scene. I was there when Veruca La Pirahna gave birth to that scene. It's not an excuse for lack of polish. And it makes my skin crawl that Sharon gets any credit for being original when I can remember going to shows of the queen whose playbook Sharon has completely ripped off.

But let's give credit where due. To the glorious Devine, who basically breastfed all these "alternative" bitches:

4A0yq.jpg

Flawless Eternal

Though I'm not completely down on Sharon. I DO like her ideas. She always has an interesting approach. And with the exception of maybe Chad she's the smartest queen left on the show. I just want more polish from her. The level is really low whenever she's not doing her one specific look. Santino's clocked her for it. So has Michelle.

AND she takes a fierce photoshoot. I'll admit if she came out more often looking as snatched as she does in that photo you posted, I'd be more on her side. No hate there.

Well I think we agree more than disagree in the grand scheme of things. That was by far her worst look, and though most of my issues lie in that Elvis wig the makeup doesn't seem unpolished to me. She generally is really good about blending and contrast, and as for unevenness, even Raja and Raven have had those weeks and they're supposed to be professional makeup artists. Sharon's girlie look (episode 2) had some flawless mug there, and I thought the look was way more polished than Chad's that week.

Needles didn't give birth to the alternative bar scene obviously, and she's no pioneer. She's just someone who's intelligently blended aesthetics together and pulls it all off with a signature gravitas that's completely her own. There's nothing original about Chad Michaels either. They're adopted conventional styles but they make it their own through their own personalities and stylistic accents.

Sharon is on this week's episode of the How Was Your Week? podcast (which is the best, always) and the interview is really great. Regardless of your opinion of her drag, Sharon's intelligence can't be denied. It was also cool to hear about her friendship with Chad. The one thing I really like about this season is it seems like all the queens really do get along (aside from the void that is Phi Phi). It's a much better vibe than last season.

Aroo

Neo Member
Just watched the first episode online at logotv.com.

Loved the Alexander McQueen ripoff ..err influenced photo shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reK0A1XIjKA

Loved the previous queens doing cameos. Loved seeing Raven again. Shandala being eaten while she screens "Haly-Lu" was really funny, I loved it.

I think I'm going to be purchasing the iTunes sd version of the show. After watching the last 2 seasons on Netflix, I really don't like watching this with commercials.

Sharon Needles Killed it in this challenged. I loved her in this one. The walk, the kiss to Elvira, just perfection.

Just watched the first episode online at logotv.com.

Loved the Alexander McQueen ripoff ..err influenced photo shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reK0A1XIjKA

Loved the previous queens doing cameos. Loved seeing Raven again. Shandala being eating while she screens "Haly-Lu" was really funny, I loved it.

I think I'm going to be purchasing the iTunes sd version of the show. After watching the last 2 seasons on Netflix, I really don't like watching this with commercials.

Sharon Needles Killed it in this challenged. I loved her in this one. The walk, the kiss to Elvira, just perfection.

Download the Adblock extension for Firefox and enjoy. It's the only way I watch this show, especially since Logo doubled the number of ads.

hitoman

Ugh I'm so sad Latrice left. Sharon is my favorite but I thought Latrice was going to win the whole thing. She just embodies everything that people should look up to. Unfortunately I did not like her looks this week and think she belonged in the bottom. I was expecting a fierce lip synch between Chad and Latrice but it was kinda meh. This season has had by far the best lip synchs compared to any other season. Phi Phi has so much anger it's really sad. I hope after she watches this season it kinda settles in that she definitely has some issues she needs to work out.

Three-way lipsync was epic. Sharon retreating to the back then dragging herself on the floor = #deadonarrival

I'd be fine if Chad won, and I honestly think she deserves it, but come on now. There's only really one winner here.

If they actually go by fan votes, it's Sharon by a landslide. She was one of the top trending topics on twitter on Monday night after the show. People LOVE her, it's crazy. I would be really happy if Chad won too.

Has anyone else noticed how much backlash there is towards Phi Phi in the press? There was an article on Huffington Post about reality show villains and she was listed at number one. I sort of feel bad for her, but at the same time, how are you going to go on a reality show in 2012 and act like that? She has zero self-awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom