• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New modem, new plan, same internet speed?

So until now I had a 100mbps internet plan and a modem that did the same. My router goes up to 300mbps but obviously wasn't using it.

I recently got a deal to upgrade to a 200mbps plan, and got a brand new modem that goes up to 600 mbps to make sure I could utilize it. However, nothing's changed; I still get the identical 80-100 mbps internet speed at all times.

I did the activation, new modem's hooked up directly, but any tech-savvy gaf know what might be a problem or how I can even diagnose it?

I have comcast and already tried calling them, they've been useless.

Persona7

Banned
Call billing and tell them you moved to a new tier but the speeds are the same. Tech support probably can't make changes.

Shadybiz

Oh, Comcast...Christ. Yeah, call them up and tell them that you should be on a higher tier.

....Say goodbye to the next 2 hours. Grab a beer or something.

Edit: I see you said that you called them, but did you SPECIFICALLY mention that you were paying for a higher tier?

What kind of connection? I have Cox Cable internet and my source of the problem was the line they were using. It was a bad line. Got it fixed and it reached max speed

What Device are you using to test? Hardwired or wifi?

I'm using my PC. And it's all hardwired, no wifi.

Oh, Comcast...Christ. Yeah, call them up and tell them that you should be on a higher tier.

Edit: I see you said that you called them, but did you SPECIFICALLY mention that you were paying for a higher tier?

I did, but they were preoccupied trying to activate my modem. Once it was activated, they thought it was solved, but it obviously isn't. If I had to call 'em again I will but it'll likely just result in a technician who takes five days to come out so I'm trying to solve it on my own in the interim.

What kind of connection? I have Cox Cable internet and my source of the problem was the line they were using. It was a bad line. Got it fixed and it reached max speed

Uhh. Standard cable, I guess? Cable outlet coming out of the ground and into my modem.

Persona7

Banned

Yeah, this is why I specifically mentioned billing. Tech support will begin to run you through the basic process and I don't know if they can make billing changes.

Also, what DOCSIS version is the new modem?

NeOak

Router goes to 300 Mbits?

No lol, that's the theoretical max speed for 2.4 Ghz 802.11n with two antennas.

Buy a new router.

Syriel

So until now I had a 100mbps internet plan and a modem that did the same. My router goes up to 300mbps but obviously wasn't using it.

I recently got a deal to upgrade to a 200mbps plan, and got a brand new modem that goes up to 600 mbps to make sure I could utilize it. However, nothing's changed; I still get the identical 80-100 mbps internet speed at all times.

I did the activation, new modem's hooked up directly, but any tech-savvy gaf know what might be a problem or how I can even diagnose it?

I have comcast and already tried calling them, they've been useless.

Are all your components (including router, switch [if you have it], and Ethernet card in your PC) gigabit? If you have anything in the chain that is 100bT, you're going to limit yourself.

And make sure you a testing wired, not wireless. Wireless has nothing to do with your ISP.

I think I'm having the same problem too. I have the gigabit plan from comcast.I have a 3.1 DOCSIS modem and a TP-Link C9.

It's fine hardwired since I get about 800mb/s but for my wireless devices such as my iPhone 6s I only get 60mb/s dl.

I've been trying to mess around with the channels at 1,6,11 but it's hit or miss.

Any times to make wi-fi better? Seems 5GHz is slowers so I set my wi-fi to run on 2.4GHz.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Gtfo out of GAF and buy a new router

Yeah. Ran into something like that with my old WRT54G. Theoretical speed up down and sideways. Switched out my router and my internet speed tripled.

NeOak

I think I'm having the same problem too. I have the gigabit plan from comcast.I have a 3.1 DOCSIS modem and a TP-Link C9.

It's fine hardwired since I get about 800mb/s but for my wireless devices such as my iPhone 6s I only get 60mb/s dl.

I've been trying to mess around with the channels at 1,6,11 but it's hit or miss.

Any times to make wi-fi better? Seems 5GHz is slowers so I set my wi-fi to run on 2.4GHz.

You need a 802.11ac wifi router that can do 867 Mbits to get maybe 500 Mbits over Wi-Fi.

Also, your iPhone 6s has a single Wi-Fi antenna, so you only get 433 Mbits max on 802.11ac. IPhones are awful at Wi-Fi.

If 5Ghz is slow, get a better router, or update that C9 and force the 80 Mhz band to work.

F34R

Buy a new router.

This!

Best thing to do to test your speeds is run the ethernet cable from the modem straight to a computer. Unplug the power to the modem. Turn off your computer. Run that ethernet cable from modem to computer. Turn modem on, then computer. Then do a speed test. If the speeds are still slower than the tier your on, then it's your router or provider.

soco

The wifi router is probably the least of your concern. If it's a cable modem, you'll likely never see speeds anywhere close to the max except on a speedtest.

robochimp

I once upgraded a plan with AT&T they updated the billing, but never updated my actual speed. I called and they fixed it pretty quickly and refunded the difference for the 2 months I was overcharged.

.la1n

Connect your laptop directly to the cable modem and see what speed you get.

This. If the speed is correct then you need a new router. I was using a Netgear router that theoretically supplied up to 300+ mbps but was getting awful speeds on a 300 plan with Spectrum. Changed to a newer router and corrected everything.

Ganhyun

possibly they didnt change your config file in your modem to the new plan.

possibly there is a physical issue with you getting above 100 Mbps.

check these things on your end:

1. that the modem they gave you can handle the speeds. (It will need to be DOCSIS 3.1)
2. that you are using CAT6 ethernet cable
3. That your network adapter isnt somehow limited (in the adapter properties, if its limited to 100/100 you can see that.
4. IF wireless, try a wire and see. Sometimes wireless cannot go as fast as others.

possibly they didnt change your config file in your modem to the new plan.

possibly there is a physical issue with you getting above 100 Mbps.

check these things on your end:

1. that the modem they gave you can handle the speeds. (It will need to be DOCSIS 3.1)
2. that you are using CAT6 ethernet cable
3. That your network adapter isnt somehow limited (in the adapter properties, if its limited to 100/100 you can see that.
4. IF wireless, try a wire and see. Sometimes wireless cannot go as fast as others.

I think this might be the problem?

eb198971782ab677b0918a3d0483890f.png

clav

Guys, only problem is I still get the same speed even if my modem's connected directly to my PC.

Get a CAT 5E/6 cable.

What does this say?

Code:
netsh lan show interface

You might still have a speed problem because most routers aren't equipped to handle high speeds unless you have some home setup with Intel gigabit ports.

jfoul

I think this might be the problem?

eb198971782ab677b0918a3d0483890f.png

• Make sure the Ethernet cable is Cat 5e, 6, 6A, or 7.
  • Check your Ethernet adapter setting to see if it's manually set to 100 half or 100 full duplex (Default is Auto Negotiate)
  • Do all testing plugged directly into the modem

From the Ethernet Status > Click Properties > Click Configure > Advanced Tab > Property: Speed & Duplex (Highlight it) > Value Dropdown on Right side > Default = Auto Negotiate
  • If the cable, PC RJ45 port, and Modem RJ45 port are rated for 10/100/1000 you should see value options for 10 half/10 full/100 half/100 full / 1.0 Gbps full / Auto Negotiate

Hope this helps.

I had the same problem OP. I had to get a new router, because my months old router didn't have Gigabit ports....I assumed modern routers rated up to 300Mbps would have Gigabit, not Fast Ethernet ports.

Two things you need to get over 100Mbps

Cat5e/6 and Gigabit ports.

What is your router model OP.

Also this is my speed on a 150Mbps connection.

6715741509.png

• Make sure the Ethernet cable is Cat 5e, 6, 6A, or 7.
  • Check your Ethernet adapter setting to see if it's manually set to 100 half or 100 full duplex (Default is Auto Negotiate)
  • Do all testing plugged directly into the modem

From the Ethernet Status > Click Properties > Click Configure > Advanced Tab > Property: Speed & Duplex (Highlight it) > Value Dropdown on Right side > Default = Auto Negotiate
  • If the cable, PC RJ45 port, and Modem RJ45 port are rated for 10/100/1000 you should see value options for 10 half/10 full/100 half/100 full / 1.0 Gbps full / Auto Negotiate

Hope this helps.

We don't have the 1.0gps full option.

Would this router work for this speed, or no? It says gigabit port but it's suspiciously cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T9RR6I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

clav

E1200 uses MIPS architecture, which rarely can hit speeds you need.

32 MB RAM is not enough these days.

Just because the product says gigabit ports doesn't mean it can adequately provide gigabit speeds.

Check your cable first, OP. Guess we should also ask, "What is your LAN port and does it support gigabit connections?"

You also still are ignoring question of what is your current router.

E1200 uses MIPS architecture, which rarely can hit speeds you need.

32 MB RAM is not enough these days.

Just because the product says gigabit ports doesn't mean it can adequately provide gigabit speeds.

Check your cable first, OP. Guess we should also ask, "What is your LAN port and does it support gigabit connections?"

You also still are ignoring question of what is your current router.

Sorry. Current router. How do I check my ethernet cable? What am I looking for?:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T9RR4A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

clav

All 3 versions of Linksys E2500 only have 10/100 Mbps ports including the WAN port (Internet). No gigabit ports.

Ethernet cable usually has repeated printed small black text on the plastic sheath for identification.

What about your computer? Check device manager's network adapters.

All 3 versions of Linksys E2500 only have 10/100 Mbps ports including the WAN port (Internet). No gigabit ports.

Ethernet cable usually has repeated printed small black text on the plastic sheath for identification.

What about your computer? Check device manager's network adapters.

735e76c6b185f8a209e40a94657dda55.png

Alright, which one am I looking for here?

clav

First one. So you have gigabit (1000) port. The rest is stuff that Windows 10 adds for some reason on every setup lately since 1703 Creator's Update.

Check your ethernet cable.

Buy a new router, preferably one that gets third party software updates. A few update more now partially thanks to consumer awareness.

First one. So you have gigabit (1000) port. The rest is stuff that Windows 10 adds for some reason on every setup lately since 1703 Creator's Update.

Check your ethernet cable.

Buy a new router, preferably one that gets third party updates or rarely first party updates.

Any router recommendations, or how much I can expect to pay? And interesting ,thanks.

clav

$60-$150. ASUS + TP-Link are decent brands although both brands recently do have a new cheap line that I don't really like (below $50). Netgear appears to be responsive with its own updates. ASUS RT-AC68U has a reputation. Same with TP-Link C7/C9 series. If you want to spring for mesh wifi, expect to pay more per unit but allows easy wifi expansion without fiddling a lot with settings (A lot there: Google WiFi, Ubiquiti, Netgear Orbi).

If you're cheap, buy a used Netgear R6300v2 and install DD-WRT. No experience with its wifi range though since I don't own one. Some configuration required to use full speed though. I prefer the R7000 version as it's basically a clone of the ASUS RT-AC68U spec wise.

Sometimes cables reduce speed if they are twisted, kinked, or folded over since that might cause interference.

Is there another ethernet cable you can test for your setup?

clav

Some modems particularly the Arris brand ones show specific colors when connected WAN port is 10/100 or Gigabit (purple/green or blue).

jfoul

Any router recommendations, or how much I can expect to pay? And interesting ,thanks.

I have the Asus RT-AC68U and really like it, but I hear good things about the TP-Link AC1900 ($89.88 Amazon). If I didn't need dual WAN, I would have bought a C9 when I needed a new router.

Ganhyun

Since you need a new router, I also recommend the ones the other poster recommended to you.

The Cat5e will work for now. Plan to upgrade to Cat6 in the next 3-6 months to future proof yourself.

Top Bottom