• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Anteo

OMG this game is so good. No game has right to be this good. Amazing.

Now few questions:

I just got the quests to free divine beasts from the village. All the locations are scattered in various directions. Which one should I target first?

Also where do we get best clothes/armor? I unlocked that armor enhancing fairy too.
In that area, there was a big circular machine thing (similar to shrines where we drop mechanical balls in them to solve puzzles etc) but there was no ball nearby. Where do we get the ball?

And what about Amiibos? Which ones to buy? And what are these Amiibo cards? Are they legit?

1. Either north west or north east. Beating those will help you with the rest of the game, a lot.

2. For the early game, go to the clothes store on
Hateno
or Kakariko village. Some armor is found on chest across the land and inside shirines. Also for the ball, its related to a sidequest in Kakariko.

Should I equip better weapon and shield right away, or just use weaker weapons until broken?

Depends on how good the drops are, if you are still early you may want to save some stronger weapons, but later you get so many weapons that it doenst matter.

keakster

Now few questions:

I just got the quests to free divine beasts from the village. All the locations are scattered in various directions. Which one should I target first?

Totally up to you, but I found the
ability you get from the one near the Zoras (north east) to be most helpful early on)

Also where do we get best clothes/armor? I unlocked that armor enhancing fairy too.

The Champion shirt you get has the highest defense. Other than that the Knight's armour from Hateno is more than good enough for Defensive stats. Other armour gives different stat bonuses, but the only one I found really helpful was the climbing set, which you get from Shrines

In that area, there was a big circular machine thing (similar to shrines where we drop mechanical balls in them to solve puzzles etc) but there was no ball nearby. Where do we get the ball?

The ball is related to a quest in Kakariko village, was one of the only side quests I had to hit up a guide for, takes a bit of work to get it triggered.

And what about Amiibos? Which ones to buy? And what are these Amiibo cards? Are they legit?

Depends what you mean by legit, but the cards work just the same to unlock stuff as the amiibo at a fraction of the cost. Plus with some work you can make 'em yourself for like a buck each

Tried to give my 2 cents!

1. Either north west or north east. Beating those will help you with the rest of the game, a lot.

2. For the early game, go to the clothes store on
Hateno
or Kakariko village. Some armor is found on chest across the land and inside shirines. Also for the ball, its related to a sidequest in Kakariko.

Depends on how good the drops are, if you are still early you may want to save some stronger weapons, but later you get so many weapons that it doenst matter.

Tried to give my 2 cents!

Thanks guys. Now I know where to go. And will checkout how to trigger that heirloom sidequest.

Red

Alright. I'm more or less ready to do the boss rush and face Ganon. Here's what I'm going in with.

7KySfM5_d.jpg

gp3L7v4_d.jpg

9JFjdJ6_d.jpg

nilgxwt_d.jpg

I'm still trying to 100% the game but those darn Korok seeds! I have all the shrines, and I've visited a fair portion of the map. I guess now I'll have to be more systematic in my approach to the search.

jdstorm

Banned

Now few questions:

Typically people target the divine beast in the top right corner (ruto) first.

The best gear is in Hyrule Castle, but at that low a level you better have your stealth skills ready to go.

tbhysgb

I did zora on my first run. Honestly I prefer rito first. Top left. Sets you up nicely to get a good start.

I find the zora area the biggest slog. I just don't enjoy that area.

Just start with the one by where you wander too. Probably zora.

Just had to make my first post in this thread that I'm having a great time with this game. So massive! So much to do! No hand holding!

I've spent most of my time just exploring, but I've gotten the first divine beast (Zora's Domain) and currently in the Korok Forest. Ugh that Keo Ruug shrine has been one of the only low points for me. It's the one with the constellations on the wall. I was really wracking my brain trying to figure it out and finally had to look it up on the internet I was so lost. I don't know what's more frustrating. That incredibly vague "hint" involving the "constellations are key" or how stupid I felt when I looked up the solutions and completely missing how the slots are "numbered". That and the motion controlled puzzles have been the only minor blemishes on this otherwise magnificent game.

Quick question to save me a little bit of time (and please answer without giving away too many details!): Is going to Death Mountain a matter of just finding the right fire proofing mixture and going to the right area/meeting the right person or should I try to go after one of the other divine beasts which will make me better equipped for Death Mountain?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Quick question to save me a little bit of time (and please answer without giving away too many details!): Is going to Death Mountain a matter of just finding the right fire proofing mixture and going to the right area/meeting the right person or should I try to go after one of the other divine beasts which will make me better equipped for Death Mountain?
The former is the solution

Red

I thought the constellation shrine was great.

My favorite three were Kah Okeo/Wind Guide, Shora Hah/Blue Flame, and Ka'am Yatak/Trial of Power.

The only motion control shrine I really disliked was Ze Kasho. I thought manipulating platforms through motion was fine as long as I was creating bridges for Link to cross. But getting those three orbs onto the switches was terrible.

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho
Just completed the game last night. An incredible achievement. Aonuma and his team outdid themselves.

An adventure like no other. I never thought my imagination could be captured like it once with the original. A work of art.

Better than Ocarina.

I can't stop gushing. Incredibly captivating from start to finish, a first class adventure. Thank you Nintendo. This is why we love you.

dLMN8R

My problem with the constellation shrine was that I immediately started over-thinking it. I tried to treat it like a Professor Layton puzzle or something and started counting the number of stars and angles and other stuff when in reality the solution was so much simpler.

The former is the solution

Welp, going to need to make some more fireproof elixir. I used up the one I got from a traveler. Crap, what do I need there again? Yeah I should've written down the recipe. I LOVE the cooking system but I really hope the next game has some kind of in-game recipe book. Even if it's just vague hints or having your own in-game notepad or something. It's like not having the Ocarina songs for reference.

I thought the constellation shrine was great.

My favorite three were Kah Okeo/Wind Guide, Shora Hah/Blue Flame, and Ka'am Yatak/Trial of Power.

The only motion control shrine I really disliked was Ze Kasho. I thought manipulating platforms through motion was fine as long as I was creating bridges for Link to cross. But getting those three orbs onto the switches was terrible.

I had no trouble with Ze Kasho. I had trouble with the one where you have to lead the orb through a maze and get it to the platform. The design is diabolical enough, but the motion controls and how "delayed" they are are the real annoying bit. I got really lucky by jerking the controller in anger and launching the orb out of the maze and onto the platform.

Aside from that, I'm loving the shrines.

Edit:

My problem with the constellation shrine was that I immediately started over-thinking it. I tried to treat it like a Professor Layton puzzle or something and started counting the number of stars and angles and other stuff when in reality the solution was so much simpler.

Yeah, I was doing that too.

Welp, going to need to make some more fireproof elixir. I used up the one I got from a traveler. Crap, what do I need there again? Yeah I should've written down the recipe. I LOVE the cooking system but I really hope the next game has some kind of in-game recipe book. Even if it's just vague hints or having your own in-game notepad or something. It's like not having the Ocarina songs for reference.

It's Fireproof Lizard + monster part (I think any work, but not sure. The rarer/stronger the monster part the longer the effect lasts).

I take screenshots to save recipes. I usually take the screenshot of the recipe right before I eat/drink the item, so that the next time I'm at a cooking pot I know what I need to restock.

Mikef2000

Even though I bought a Switch+Zelda at launch, I hadn´t been able to start playing them because I was so damn busy(sucks being a responsible adult). This is my first Zelda game since Wind Waker back on Gamecube( I abandoned Nintendo during the Wii+Wii U generations).

I have a few beginner questions( and sorry for not going through all three OT's but it really is a lot to sift through):

1. Upgrading heart containers + stamina: Is there a quicker/another way to upgrade them? I am currently upgrading them through doing shrines, but 4 shrines per upgrade is really slow. I am currently sitting at 3 hearts( and 2 stamina upgrades). I see people online with a lot of hearts at the beginning of the game, and wonder if I am doing something wrong.

1b. What is best to upgrade first? I am putting everything into stamina, hence why I have only three hearts.

2. Rupees: They are really hard to get in this game(at least for me). I rarely find them out in the open world. The main way of getting them is selling stuff. But I am hesitant to sell stuff that I may need later on. What are items that are safe to sell?

3. The captured memories quest from Impa. I just got that quest, but it seems overwhelming. Is this a quest I need to finish ASAP? Without spoilers, is it better to do it now or just put it off?

Thanks for any help.

It's Fireproof Lizard + monster part (I think any work, but not sure. The rarer/stronger the monster part the longer the effect lasts).

I take screenshots to save recipes. I usually take the screenshot of the recipe right before I eat/drink the item, so that the next time I'm at a cooking pot I know what I need to restock.

tenor.gif

Thanks, I'll do that from now on.

Sorry for the double post

Even though I bought a Switch+Zelda at launch, I hadn´t been able to start playing them because I was so damn busy(sucks being a responsible adult). This is my first Zelda game since Wind Waker back on Gamecube( I abandoned Nintendo during the Wii+Wii U generations).

I have a few beginner questions( and sorry for not going through all three OT's but it really is a lot to sift through):

1. Upgrading heart containers + stamina: Is there a quicker/another way to upgrade them? I am currently upgrading them through doing shrines, but 4 shrines per upgrade is really slow. I am currently sitting at 3 hearts( and 2 stamina upgrades). I see people online with a lot of hearts at the beginning of the game, and wonder if I am doing something wrong.

1b. What is best to upgrade first? I am putting everything into stamina, hence why I have only three hearts.

2. Rupees: They are really hard to get in this game(at least for me). I rarely find them out in the open world. The main way of getting them is selling stuff. But I am hesitant to sell stuff that I may need later on. What are items that are safe to sell?

3. The captured memories quest from Impa. I just got that quest, but it seems overwhelming. Is this a quest I need to finish ASAP? Without spoilers, is it better to do it now or just put it off?

Thanks for any help.

1 I'm a good ways in the game, and I've focused more on Stamina no regrets. There IS a way to redistribute your choices from the orbs, but it's a MINOR spoiler, I'll tell you if you really want to know. If you REALLY need more Hearts, opt for some Heart Boosting food like Durians, Hearty Radishes, and anything that says they boost the amount of hearts when cooked.

2 I'd like to know this too, so far it seems like it's okay to sell any of the gems/ores other than Luminous Stones. There's a Zora you can trade Luminous stones for Diamonds and Diamonds are the only thing i've seen that seems to serve a crafting purpose

3 You can do it whenever. It's kinda like the Lore pieces in Metroid Prime only with a flashback cutscene. Look for the old man painter in Kakariko village who then moves on to other towns and stables who will give you really good hints as to where to go for certain photos.

Mikef2000

Sorry for the double post

1 I'm a good ways in the game, and I've focused more on Stamina no regrets. There IS a way to redistribute your choices from the orbs, but it's a MINOR spoiler, I'll tell you if you really want to know. If you REALLY need more Hearts, opt for some Heart Boosting food like Durians, Hearty Radishes, and anything that says they boost the amount of hearts when cooked.

2 I'd like to know this too, so far it seems like it's okay to sell any of the gems/ores other than Luminous Stones. There's a Zora you can trade Luminous stones for Diamonds and Diamonds are the only thing i've seen that seems to serve a crafting purpose

3 You can do it whenever. It's kinda like the Lore pieces in Metroid Prime only with a flashback cutscene. Look for the old man painter in Kakariko village who then moves on to other towns and stables who will give you really good hints as to where to go for certain photos.

Thanks!

1. Ok, I'll proceed with my current MO. I did stumble upon the way to respec.( Got scared silly because i first thought I lost my stamina upgrade) lol.

2. Really need help with this. I suck at getting Rupees in this game.

3. Cool, thanks.

Another question. Are items and resources limited in the game? For example if I find some ore and I mine it. If I come back later, will it respawn? If so, how much later? Same goes with mobs. If i clear a camp, will the enemies respawn? The same for guardians.

Another question. Are items and resources limited in the game? For example if I find some ore and I mine it. If I come back later, will it respawn? If so, how much later? Same goes with mobs. If i clear a camp, will the enemies respawn? The same for guardians.

Almost everything respawns. All enemies and Guardians respawn every Blood Moon. Don't know what triggers ore, fruit, etc to respawn, but it does.

Smithy C

I just got two crashes in a row, doing the same thing. Went to a fairy shrine, got some shit upgraded, when to fight a Lynel and halfway through the fight, the game crashed. Reloaded (had to take the cart out and put it back in because it wouldn't boot up), did the same pattern of events and it crashed again in the same fight with the Lynel. Wonder what's freaking out the game? Any ideas?

Anteo

I don't have the camera because I am leaving the meeting with Impa until everything else is complete.

Hey. So have you tried goung to hateno lab nd asking around? I wonder if they can give you the camera without talking to impa.

Anteo

1. Ok, I'll proceed with my current MO. I did stumble upon the way to respec.( Got scared because i first thought I lost my stamina upgrade) lol.

Btw you can also cook some stamina buffs so it doesnt matter what you pick, except for a single quest in the game that requires certain amount of hearts without buffs, but its likely you will have more than enough when you get there.

Getting better armor is the beat way to survive in this game, better than jut upgrading health.

Edit: whoops dp

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Having a whale of a time here.

Got marmalised by a Moblin as soon as I escaped the plateau, and since then I have been perfecting my sneaking-up-and-running-away skills pretty well. Despite all that I've read in this thread and elsewhere I'm still utterly overwhelmed by the sheer scale and depth of the game - I got beautifully lost in the woods above Kakariko and spent a few hours just puttering around with fireflies.

Shambala

Finally beat thunderblight Gannon lol. Felt so damn good. I stopped playing for weeks because of this battle lol. Started to low key hate the game

N° 2048

This seriously might be one of the best open world games I've ever played.

I can't remember the last time a game didn't hold my hand. The sense of discovery and more specifically finding a puzzle and solving it. No matter how complex the puzzle is you get this immense sense of accomplishment that other games give me rarely.

I'm just 40 hours deep and am absolutely blown away at the thought of what I have left to do.

I didn't even like Zelda that much, I only played the first two Zeldas and Majora's Mask when it came out( I was 11 years old )and maybe a couple others but didn't finish.

This game though, oh my god. Probably going on the list of the greatest games of all time for me.

This seriously might be one of the best open world games I've ever played.

I can't remember the last time a game didn't hold my hand. The sense of discovery and more specifically finding a puzzle and solving it. No matter how complex the puzzle is you get this immense sense of accomplishment that other games give me rarely.

I'm just 40 hours deep and am absolutely blown away at the thought of what I have left to do.

I didn't even like Zelda that much, I only played the first two Zeldas and Majora's Mask when it came out( I was 11 years old )and maybe a couple others but didn't finish.

This game though, oh my god. Probably going on the list of the greatest games of all time for me.

Yeah I'm feeling the same way despite my couple of peeks (literally two) into solving things. I was super excited to discover that I can ride deer last night. I had no idea. And I was super proud when figuring out how to get through the Lost Woods. I can't wait till I beat the game and check out that "I didn't know you could do that" thread in Gaming.

I mean I already have a wishlist of stuff I'd like to see in the next Zelda, but damn, this game is incredible!

Rayis

How do you consistently dodge Guardian lasers? I'm in the Akkala Citadel trying to reach the tower at the top but I keep getting killed by these bastards! What weapons are good against Guardians?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
How do you consistently dodge Guardian lasers? I'm in the Akkala Citadel trying to reach the tower at the top but I keep getting killed by these bastards! What weapons are good against Guardians?
You could try cutting some legs off or shooting its eye and booking it?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I like this game a lot, but I am so fucking over motion control bullshit and Myahm Agana shrine is making me want to throw my switch out a fucking window.

edit: ok so wasting like 2 hours portable mode i tried in console and got it in 2 minutes. fucking christ,

Meeps

I snuck around them, but my friend used those giant metal boxes to block the beams. You can also try reflecting with shield parries if you're daring.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hi guys.

I played this game for 170 hours and then sold my Switch....

And then I couldn't stop thinking about the game and the amazing world and the sense of wonder.

..so I fucking bought the Switch again just to play it. Starting fresh and the magic is still there, amazingly.

I think I've lost my god damn mind. Either that or this is my favorite game of all time.

Anteo

Hi guys.

I played this game for 170 hours and then sold my Switch....

And then I couldn't stop thinking about the game and the amazing world and the sense of wonder.

..so I fucking bought the Switch again just to play it. Starting fresh and the magic is still there, amazingly.

I think I've lost my god damn mind. Either that or this is my favorite game of all time.

I played over 200 hours on wiiu. I just bought a switch last week and I plan to buy bote again this week. Ill play thr hard mode dlc this time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yolo guess I'm in.

Was on the fence about the expansion pass as DLC2 seems what I want, but DLC1 was sorta ehhh.

Wife surprised me with an eShop card though so yolo. Just bought. Trials of the Sword here I come!

Red

I feel like I have explored every inch of Hyrule castle and still haven't found the
Farosh scale
. There must be one! It doesn't make sense to me that there would be
fang shards from each dragon, but scales only from Dinraal and Nayru.
I don't really need it but it's the principle of the thing. At one point I'm sure I had destroyed every enemy in the castle. I had the whole place to myself until a blood moon brought them back.

Is the DLC getting its own thread? Or we'll just talk about it here?

I'm excited to go back to Hyrule. No other game released this year has grabbed me like BotW did.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hey guys, I'm loving this game but there is one mystery I can't solve, and I can't quite find the right phrasing in Google to find a solution:

There are a few spots where there are little firefly like sparkles emanating from the ground and then it disappears when I get close. What does that mean and what do I have to do when I find those spots?

quabba

Man I like this game a lot, but I am so fucking over motion control bullshit and Myahm Agana shrine is making me want to throw my switch out a fucking window.

edit: ok so wasting like 2 hours portable mode i tried in console and got it in 2 minutes. fucking christ,

I detach the joycons when there is a motion puzzle and then slip them back on when done. It's much easier with the right joycon detached.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hey guys, I'm loving this game but there is one mystery I can't solve, and I can't quite find the right phrasing in Google to find a solution:

There are a few spots where there are little firefly like sparkles emanating from the ground and then it disappears when I get close. What does that mean and what do I have to do when I find those spots?

Is it moving around underneath the ground? Or completely still?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The Spring of Power in Breath of the Wild is the same as the Earth Spring from Skyward Sword? HOLY SHIT! Every time, every single time I think I have this game figured out it springs another surprise on me.

watershed

Banned

The sparkles are actually running around and you have to "catch" it.

watershed

Banned
Question to those who know more about Zelda than I do: is there any significance for the giant monkey(?) statues littered throughout the jungle area in the Faron region? They are completely unique to the area, they're very eye catching, but I don't know if they mean anything or if they're connected to the story in BOTW or Zelda lore...

Edit: sorry for the dp, didn't realize.

Top Bottom