• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think the biggest improvement that came from the 32-bit era was CD-quality music. Yeah, there were some great tunes on SNES, but game music didn't become this amazing thing until the PS1.

But then, I've always placed a huge importance on a game's soundtrack.

Can you list some titles for those of us not too familiar with these systems?

Oh man, I am terrible at lists, but will try. I'm sure I'll forget something obvious. I'll stick to 2D, since that was the angle I was on about.

Important mention about Saturn is it has been basically the only source to play many high quality ports of arcade games from the 90s. This is improving slowly over time. Special shout out to M2's port of Battle Garegga on PS4, it is a goddamned marvel. So some of these definitely have better options in 2017, particularly from a cost perspective. As well, I don't have a strong preference between PSX/Saturn for the applicable games. Plenty of PSX exclusives from this era as well. And arcade, and PC, and and and.

Neo Geo I'll have to do another day, the biggies there should be pretty obvious. Metal Slug, KoF, Windjammers, etc..

Saturn
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
Assault Suit Leynos II
Astal
Astra Superstars
Batsugun
Battle Garegga
Blast Wind
Castlevania: SOTN
Crows: The Battle Action
Cyberbots
Darius Gaiden
Darkstalkers 3
DonPachi (I like it, even though I know it isn't a top fav or the series)
DoDonPachi
Dragon Force I / II
Dungeons & Dragons Collection
Elevator Action Returns
Gekirindan
Golden Axe: The Duel
Guardian Force
Guardian Heroes
Hyper Duel
Kingdom Grand Prix
Legend of Oasis
In the Hunt
Marvel vs. Street Fighter
Mega Man 8 / X3 / X4
Metal Black
Nekketsu Oyako
Princess Crown
Pu-Li-Ru-La
Radiant Silvergun
Rayforce
Shienryu
Shining Force III (3D but shut up, more people need to play Shining games)
SMT: Soul Hackers
Street Fighter Alpha II or III (depends on the day of the week, personally)
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Terra Diver
TwinBee Deluxe Pack
Warriors of Fate
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
X-Multiply

Lots of scrolling arcade shooters and fighters got their first really great port on PS1 and Saturn.

You also had stuff like Rayman, Skullmonkeys, Herc's Adventure, Legacy of Kain.

And a lot of top-down PC ports that looked pretty good.

Yes Boss!

I think the biggest improvement that came from the 32-bit era was CD-quality music. Yeah, there were some great tunes on SNES, but game music didn't become this amazing thing until the PS1.

But then, I've always placed a huge importance on a game's soundtrack.

But, that PCE CD and Super CD.

Thanks! I've played very few of these, so looking forward to learning more about them.

There are definitely more, too. It is why I loath the list making process. I take no joy of dropping or excluding games simply because I don't like them. Anyone familiar will notice Psikyo's games conspicuously missing. Gunbird is a beautiful game, but there are various things I dislike about their design decisions. People really like Magic Knight Rayearth but just not my thing, though I recognize it is well made. Astal is barely hanging on by a thread, to be honest. Not to mention personal shames like I've never played Lunar, at all. And I know Langrisser is supposed to be great, but I think only one or two are in english? So I've just blanked the entire series "because", you know how it goes.

I mean, just get a load of this weird-ass Enix adventure game. I have no idea what is going on here so I can't recommend but I love everything I am seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvJw32GRF1U&t=68

Wish it were better quality. The creature's little step turn animation is so good.

z89V3sh.gif

Laws00

I must have the worst luck or something

Every single one of my console adapters does not work. Genesis and Snes.

Tried to start up my nes. Does not turn even when I mess with it

Super jealous, really want to get Grandia III still :(

Are you in it mostly for having it or playing it? My solution was to just buy it on PSN and burn my own PS2 disc, which then went inside the JP game case I got a couple years ago. I kind of prefer this in a lot of ways since money actually goes to the rights holder.

D.Lo

16-bit is where console gaming solidified and refined its unique identity in gaming at large. For better, and imo in some respects, for worse. You don't need me to tell you Dark Souls popularity came as a result of many years of an under served audience, after all. I understand why it is often cited as the golden era of that time of gaming. Personally I think the stuff that followed such as on Saturn, and Neo Geo, though largely overshadowed by that sexy new 3D thing, was where everything came together beautifully, but ah well... preference and all.

I mean, I think Castlevania III, Rondo, and SOTN are all rad. Not like I have to pick my children.
I really, really disagree. 16-bit was improved graphics Famicom games. I mean for that Castlevania example alone only Rondo of Blood beats Castlevania 3 for complexity (and barely even then, it has less, shorter levels).

Famicom was important because it was the timeframe when Japan took over, and when platformers, shooters, RPGs, action adventure games, beat em ups, and most genres got their templates. Even overhead and 'classic' behind the car racing games. It's where games started to have in-game music as standard, had saves/passwords, themed 'worlds', set quests with endings, many hidden secrets, non-linear progressions, more in-depth stories. All these just got evolved and refined in 16 bit, very little outright new was brought to the table.

It's IMO why the NES aesthetic has endured, while SNES has not, NES/Famicom was the paradigm shift, SNES/Mega Drive was just a nice continuation. What is the defining 16 bit genre? Fighting games? Sports games? Most of which (on real consumer hardware aka not Neo Geo) are not really worth playing now on SNES/MD. Maybe also mode 7 racing (and all primitive 3D really).

It's a great generation for quality games because it got nice evolutions of Famicom templated genres, and early Mega Drive and PCE got the last gasps of 8/16 bit arcade action. But it is IMO vastly less important from an evolutionary or identity perspective.

entremet

Oh man, I am terrible at lists, but will try. I'm sure I'll forget something obvious. I'll stick to 2D, since that was the angle I was on about.

Important mention about Saturn is it has been basically the only source to play many high quality ports of arcade games from the 90s. This is improving slowly over time. Special shout out to M2's port of Battle Garegga on PS4, it is a goddamned marvel. So some of these definitely have better options in 2017, particularly from a cost perspective. As well, I don't have a strong preference between PSX/Saturn for the applicable games. Plenty of PSX exclusives from this era as well. And arcade, and PC, and and and.

Neo Geo I'll have to do another day, the biggies there should be pretty obvious. Metal Slug, KoF, Windjammers, etc..

Saturn
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
Assault Suit Leynos II
Astal
Astra Superstars
Batsugun
Battle Garegga
Blast Wind
Castlevania: SOTN
Crows: The Battle Action
Cyberbots
Darius Gaiden
Darkstalkers 3
DonPachi (I like it, even though I know it isn't a top fav or the series)
DoDonPachi
Dragon Force I / II
Dungeons & Dragons Collection
Elevator Action Returns
Gekirindan
Golden Axe: The Duel
Guardian Force
Guardian Heroes
Hyper Duel
Kingdom Grand Prix
Legend of Oasis
In the Hunt
Marvel vs. Street Fighter
Mega Man 8 / X3 / X4
Metal Black
Nekketsu Oyako
Princess Crown
Pu-Li-Ru-La
Radiant Silvergun
Rayforce
Shienryu
Shining Force III (3D but shut up, more people need to play Shining games)
SMT: Soul Hackers
Street Fighter Alpha II or III (depends on the day of the week, personally)
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Terra Diver
TwinBee Deluxe Pack
Warriors of Fate
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
X-Multiply

Saturn is probably the retro system I have the most interest in collecting, but it's just way too crazy price wise lol.

I borrowed a Saturn in its heyday and I've always had fond memories for it.

Saturn is probably the retro system I have the most interest in collecting, but it's just way too crazy price wise lol.

I borrowed a Saturn in its heyday and I've always had fond memories for it.

I completely missed the saturn growing up and only got into it within the past few years. I will say that "pseudo saturn" and "rhea" have been essential in enjoying some of the saturn classics ;)

hey retroGAF,
just got back from picking up dinner and grabbed these:
oyugHfOh.jpg

Damn was that only 15 bucks with the hard drive parts? I'm jealous. Not that I want the PS2 hard drive or game, but I want the Hard Drive rails that come with that. Trying to find those online has been a bitch. I have a 500 gig hard drive in my PS2 with FreeMcBoot and such and I have to make sure it doesn't move at all or else the Hard Drive might get too lose from the connector.

Hey guys, I just got back from Japan and figured I should share my gaming harvest. Not all of this is mine. A small portion (especially Pokemon stuff) belongs to my wife.

I found a Mark III and FM Sound Unit

I got this Supergun for a good price from Beep. Beep is the best store in Akiba by the way. They have everything I could want and their prices are better than everyone else.

My Saturn haul

Mega Drive, Mega CD, X68000, and a present for Irish Ninja.

Books/Misc

More misc, Dreamcast, Handheld, PCCD, MSX, Famicom, and a couple Neo Geo CD games because I thought they were Saturn games.

Pokemon Center. The giant stuffed Pikachu was a prize from their 620 yen lottery.

And finally a Majima shirt from Sega in Kabukicho.

I also started work on a Phantasy Star tattoo. I will go back early next year to finish it. If you post in the Genesis thread, you've already seen this.

I don't think we are as at odds as you think. Several of your points are precisely what I meant by solidified and refined.

I don't think establishing new genres is the only worthwhile contribution on either side. Particularly when many genre templates were established on arcade and only ported to famicom. Action platformers is where famicom really found its voice. Beat'em ups? Run 'n Gun? Shmups? Racers? Fighters? Consoles have no claims here.

Don't get me wrong. I have an insane amount of love for the 8-bit era. And like I said I personally do not believe the step to 16-bit was all improvements across the board, but there are plenty of improvements well worth celebrating in every subject: art, presentation, design, complexity, simplicity, on and on. You can find heaps of value in every era.

Super jealous, really want to get Grandia III still :(
they still have one copy at digital press for 20 bucks but you can grab on online for that price as well.

Seriously, Dave casually picks up games I never see. I'm not out on the hunt, but the retro game stores I visit (rarely) seem to price match everything to ebay BIN prices.
the store around me gets loads of ps2 games so they always have a running buy 2 get 1 free on the 19 and under games. it's always cheap often great grabs =)
Damn was that only 15 bucks with the hard drive parts? I'm jealous. Not that I want the PS2 hard drive or game, but I want the Hard Drive rails that come with that. Trying to find those online has been a bitch. I have a 500 gig hard drive in my PS2 with FreeMcBoot and such and I have to make sure it doesn't move at all or else the Hard Drive might get too lose from the connector.
yeah man, after NormalFish, Sheepyguy you were sharing about FMCB/FHDB with OPL a few months ago on the ps2 thread, i started to casually look for items needed and looked at the rails but they were pricey online so i put it off. i randomly walked in the past sunday and it was 15 bucks for the rails and i wanted an old school thick IDE HDD for the ps2 to mess around with so it was an easy grab:

Hey guys, I just got back from Japan and figured I should share my gaming harvest. Not all of this is mine. A small portion (especially Pokemon stuff) belongs to my wife.

I also started work on a Phantasy Star tattoo. I will go back early next year to finish it. If you post in the Genesis thread, you've already seen this.
nice haul! and again as i menetioned in club genesis props for that tattoo artwork! it's really nice looking =)

Dang, the coloring on that ink is nice.

Yeah, I'm pleased with what I have already. I can't wait to go back.

nice haul! and again as i menetioned in club genesis props for that tattoo artwork! it's really nice looking =)

Thanks again!

A few days into my trip I was starting to think that I had exhausted Japan's supply already but then everything fell into place. Japan's retro market is still pretty great. We went to Osaka this time too and it's even better then Tokyo. Don't spread it around though because I want to keep gaijin away until I've had a few more shots at it.

IrishNinja

phewwww @ Laevateinn's haul! those saturn ones are lovely, were the shining force & phantasy star books pricey? dying to know what that classic PS one is, as well as that shining force sticker/circle thing!

that majjy shirt is boss & i gotta hear how that supergun works for you too. you got so much good stuff there, for real. and i can't thank you enough either!

also i don't know that ive seen many classic PS tats but that Nei & Alys one looks fantastic, and agreed on the inking so far too!

phewwww @ Laevateinn's haul! those saturn ones are lovely, were the shining force & phantasy star books pricey? dying to know what that classic PS one is, as well as that shining force sticker/circle thing!

that majjy shirt is boss & i gotta hear how that supergun works for you too. you got so much good stuff there, for real. and i can't thank you enough either!

also i don't know that ive seen many classic PS tats but that Nei & Alys one looks fantastic, and agreed on the inking so far too!

About half of the books I bought this time were under 2 dollars. The rest were between 7 and 20. They're all just guide books with a little bit of art here and there. I bought some Phantasy Star art books on my last trip and they were more expensive. You're right that that's a Shining Force sticker.

The supergun works out of the box with HDMI and VGA. I need to order a cable for SCART. I tried it out in their shop and it worked pretty well though. I probably won't use it heavily until the weekend.

Nice
i wish i knew more about phantasy star. I just could not get into it when i was younger

Well, I had a neighbor I watched play Phantasy Star when I was a kid but didn't actually play any of them until after I played PSO to death.

If you're into retro RPGs, I recommend trying 1, 2, and 4 (even 3 but it's understandably not as well liked as the others). Of them, 2 has the clunkiest gameplay system and the most obtuse dungeons while 4 is the simplest and easiest to get into. The story of those three games build up epically to a great finish in 4.

Don't be afraid to use a map in 1 and 2 if the dungeons get too frustrating (which will definitely happen in 2). 1 is meant to be played with graphing paper so if you really want to be hardcore do it that way. 2 probably could as well but it's harder to do that with complicated 2D top-down dungeons with teleporters than it is in a rigid maze-like 3D dungeon.

Three is more of a side story but ties in nicely to 2 and a certain part of 4.

Are you in it mostly for having it or playing it? My solution was to just buy it on PSN and burn my own PS2 disc, which then went inside the JP game case I got a couple years ago. I kind of prefer this in a lot of ways since money actually goes to the rights holder.

All the stuff I "collect" is so I can play it but I'm not a huge fan of digital copies when other alternatives exist.

they still have one copy at digital press for 20 bucks but you can grab on online for that price as well.

the store around me gets loads of ps2 games so they always have a running buy 2 get 1 free on the 19 and under games. it's always cheap often great grabs =)
yeah man, after NormalFish, Sheepyguy you were sharing about FMCB/FHDB with OPL a few months ago on the ps2 thread, i started to casually look for items needed and looked at the rails but they were pricey online so i put it off. i randomly walked in the past sunday and it was 15 bucks for the rails and i wanted an old school thick IDE HDD for the ps2 to mess around with so it was an easy grab:

I wonder if I missed it somehow on Sunday... I had 2 $15 games I wanted but couldn't find a 3rd game I wanted so I held off :(

Ohh man so jealous of those rails. If you see any more at Digital Press please let me know.

D.Lo

I found a Mark III and FM Sound Unit
I have never seen one in the wild in Japan with FM unit. Had to go online for mine years ago.

I see it has an SG1000 II pad as one of the controllers, does it have rubber or plastic face buttons?

Jealous of that supergun. What games are you going to play on it?

I have a Neo Geo, an STV with Virtua Fighter Kids, TMNT, CPS2 Dungeons and Dragons and Golden Axe. The monitor on my cabinet is shot (it barely worked when I got it) so this is a lifesaver.

I have never seen one in the wild in Japan with FM unit. Had to go online for mine years ago.

I see it has an SG1000 II pad as one of the controllers, does it have rubber or plastic face buttons?

We found the FM Unit as a standalone at a Retro TV Game Revival in Osaka for 9000 yen so I had to pick it up. I didn't see a Mark III there so we later went to Super Potato in Osaka and picked up the Mark III. Altogether it was somewhere around $230.

The SG1000 II pad is an SJ-151 with plastic buttons.

Aizo

Banned
It's crazy how much prices fluctuate between countries. I'm always shocked when I stop in a game shop anywhere I've lived in Japan and find tons of games for under 1000 yen that cost like 100+ euros/dollars.

I wish I was more interested in some of the games I know I should buy here because I could never afford them back home.

All the stuff I "collect" is so I can play it but I'm not a huge fan of digital copies when other alternatives exist.
I wonder if I missed it somehow on Sunday... I had 2 $15 games I wanted but couldn't find a 3rd game I wanted so I held off :(
it's in the glass case so it can't be part of the buy 2 get 1
Ohh man so jealous of those rails. If you see any more at Digital Press please let me know.
i'll pm you if i see one on the floor. it was by the misc stuff under the ps2 games.
Isn't that NFG's collection that got destroyed in an Australian flood several years ago?
edit: here's NFG's gallery and the Kotaku story
Since you mentioned Insta, consider following him there because he posts some really cool hardware pics
https://www.instagram.com/nfggames/
damn....

it's in the glass case so it can't be part of the buy 2 get 1
i'll pm you if i see one on the floor. it was by the misc stuff under the ps2 games.

damn....

Ah, must have skimmed the case too quickly since I didn't see it. Not sure when I'll be able to go again but I'll have to keep an eye out. If price is the same, I do prefer buying in person than online.

Since y'all did nothing but shit on me for buying the genesis version, I decided to also pick this up:

Top Bottom