• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Havok

I really really hope drones and skirmishers don't come back. I do, however, want Brutes to return. And I want them to finally live up to their name. I want them to be ferocious and terrifying. Based on the other Covie redesigns, I think 343 can pull it off.
I agree. The Crawler and Knight, to a lesser degree, seem to fill the role that Drones and Skirmishers did without their gameplay annoyances. Drones were fidgety, making them difficult to target if they couldn't make their minds up between the ground and the air, and the agility of the Skirmisher wasn't really consistent, making their jumps kind of difficult to predict. Crawlers have those jump packs that smoothly elevates them up, making it easy to predict and target. The teleport ability of the Knights is incredibly well telegraphed with the visual effect pointing towards their destination (I seriously think this is one of the most genius things I've seen), so you're not going to get surprised because the AI made an illogical leap.

Brutes, I think, work very well as a miniboss, but not as infantry, especially the hammer chieftain. If they axed Brutes as a normal enemy entirely, instead just using them as special moments with the chieftains, that could make for some really rad moments without the annoyance that comes from the infantry versions. Pushing them up into the same class as the Hunters could make a little bit of Brute go a long way. The original four Covenant races are a really fantastic set of enemies, but I think there's a place for the "rushing boss" style of enemy (like the hammer chieftain and gold Sword Elites) where there maybe isn't for a class of faux-Elites.

I think that emphasis on the hammer chieftain over the fuel rod variant is important. I don't know what was going through some of the campaign designers' heads with Reach. Fuel rods are not fun to fight en masse, just like Brute Shots to a lesser degree often weren't, yet we see instances where you can have three or four homing fuel rod shots coming at you at once. I really, really hope they dial down the number of enemies with AOE weapons.

Conor 419

Banned
I was thinking that Chief might actually get captured by the Prometheans at some point, I mean I really don't see how he can get out of the incident at the end of the E3 footage.

image.axd

So I wonder if the in-game Legendary icon has been changed like this one...

The multiplayer achievements look right by my eyes. Nothing map-specific thus far, just generic milestones--attainable feats!

Is that Voldemort?

It says in the order:

HALO 4 - Original Soundtrack (Limited/Numbered Special Edition Boxset)

Unless this just means you ordered the one that could possibly be numbered.

Please be true 0_0.

Also if you look in your email it says a 3 digit number followed by a dash and 6 more numbers in your order number, that could be it too

EDIT
My god this free track.... is amazing 0_0.!

It might be late as hell but these achievements... WOW. This is the best thing I've seen out of H4 in some time. An achievement named the Dongblainer? Hammer and Hunters confirmed back? An achievement that requires you to keep every single Marine alive?
SIGN ME UP.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I hope the special edition isn't too rare when it comes out. Can't drop the money on the pre order at the moment.

Just finished recording Episode 8 of the podcast. Look out for it tomorrow. :)

People excited about paying more money for an OST than they will pay for the actual game that contains the music.

My god.

hey my love for Halo started because of the music. It's one of the major reasons I love the whole franchise. I'd rather buy standard and the ost over a legendary if I didnt have the money for any game in the series

m23

It says in the order:

HALO 4 - Original Soundtrack (Limited/Numbered Special Edition Boxset)

Unless this just means you ordered the one that could possibly be numbered.

Ok thanks. I never knew music could hype me up for a game so much.....2 more days to get through.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Brutes, I think, work very well as a miniboss, but not as infantry, especially the hammer chieftain. If they axed Brutes as a normal enemy entirely, instead just using them as special moments with the chieftains, that could make for some really rad moments without the annoyance that comes from the infantry versions. Pushing them up into the same class as the Hunters could make a little bit of Brute go a long way. The original four Covenant races are a really fantastic set of enemies, but I think there's a place for the "rushing boss" style of enemy (like the hammer chieftain and gold Sword Elites) where there maybe isn't for a class of faux-Elites.
Absolutely. The bolded really boils down why the Brutes felt so lack luster in Halo Reach (and, some would argue, Halo 3).

Different strokes. If music/vinyls aren't your thing I can see how you'd think it was milking the franchise. I love having my favorite music on vinyl though.
It's not about liking or not liking music. It's about paying $75 for a single album. Even if it's a small run, that seems like one hell of an inflated price.

I was thinking that Chief might actually get captured by the Prometheans at some point, I mean I really don't see how he can get out of the incident at the end of the E3 footage.

Probably not even in the gameplay, it was scripted for E3. We all remember the "betchya can't stick it" trailer now don't we?

Trey

I want Brutes to become what they were in that Halo 2 E3 trailers. Fill a role somewhere between Elites and Hunters.

aying $75 for a single album. Even if it's a small run, that seems like one hell of an inflated price.

Alternatively, you can pay 14 bucks for the same album, minus a handful of remixes. I doubt the LE mark up pains you, or anyone.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Probably not even in the gameplay, it was scripted for E3. We all remember the "betchya can't stick it" trailer now don't we?
Man, I was soooo salty when that wasn't actually in the game. I was expecting some John Woo fight scene or something.

Absolutely. The bolded really boils down why the Brutes felt so lack luster in Halo Reach (and, some would argue, Halo 3).

Some would be WROOOOOOOONG

and for the vinyl thing, I mean, I kinda get it I guess if you REALLY love music. I just can't see how anyone could listen to those sound clips and think FUCK YES I'M GONNA PAY 75 BUCKS FOR THIS

It's not about liking or not liking music. It's about paying $75 for a single album. Even if it's a small run, that seems like one hell of an inflated price.

I feel ya, it sends Microsoft the wrong message. Everyone has a line that they draw. My one is a bit too far out for Halo :'(

Some would be WROOOOOOOONG

and for the vinyl thing, I mean, I kinda get it I guess if you REALLY love music. I just can't see how anyone could listen to those sound clips and think FUCK YES I'M GONNA PAY 75 BUCKS FOR THIS

I'm really interested in the composing notes, but yeah. Pricey.

The Brutes were great in 3 and ODST. Since you were no longer fighting Elites, it was just fine for them to take over that niche.
They felt redundant in Reach because Elites were back and they were trying to fit the same role, one the Elites turned out to be much better at.

The Brutes were great in 3 and ODST. Since you were no longer fighting Elites, it was just fine for them to take over that niche.
They felt redundant in Reach because Elites were back and they were trying to fit the same role, one the Elites turned out to be much better at.

Also they took away the brute shields and made them like they were in Halo 2. That made them a lot weaker overall and less interesting to fight again(overall). I liked how you had to switch to needle rifle to take them out easily in firefight though.

Ryaaan14

Banned
$75 special edition soundtrack
$99.99 limited edition version of the game.
$400.00 limited edition of a 7 year old console

Lol
Yep. Kinda glad they didn't do a Legendary edition this time. Wouldn't be able to afford it.

Great time for rich Halo fans though.

Also they took away the brute shields and made them like they were in Halo 2. That made them a lot weaker overall and less interesting to fight again(overall). I liked how you had to switch to needle rifle to take them out easily in firefight though.

All you need against Brutes in Reach is the Shotgun. Period.

Havok

I think they're...fine/okay in 3/ODST, but I also think that they're just an Elite without the two biggest elements that make Elites interesting. First, the recharging shield that forces players to make a risk/reward judgement. Should I finish the battle by continuing the offense or take a knee and regain some shields, risking having to start from the beginning of the fight by doing so because the Elites play by the same rules as the player? Second, the Elites' agility and tendency to dodge away from shots and grenades reinforces the first point by giving them the ability to prolong the battle and get some of their health back of their own volition, not just because the player shifted into a passive mode of defense.

Once you blew off a Brute's armor, that was it. Fight over, go ahead and regain shields at your leisure because finishing the enemy off is now trivial. They had no ability to become a threat again apart from lamely rushing and more than likely getting shot in the head in the process. I dunno, it might just be a philosophical thing. I like AI that has the player's own restrictions and abilities.

$75 special edition soundtrack
$99.99 limited edition version of the game.
$400.00 limited edition of a 7 year old console

Lol

there's also an artbook and the CE guide

You'd think they could at least throw the soundtrack in with the collector's edition. Or bundle everything together. Or take 25% off the current prices.

heckfu

Banned
Omnomnom just got the special edition ost. I've paid a lot of money for vinyls over the years and I think this will fit nicely in my collection!

Enfinit

Just got around to reading the bulletin and pre-ordering the LE OST. Some of the achievements look like a doozy, however I'm really glad they stuck with the traditional Halo ones. Also seems like they didn't stress any War Games-related achievements, looks like all of 'em will revolve around Spartan Ops for multiplayer, which I'm totally cool with.

I'm already stressing out about getting them all!

Omnomnom just got the special edition ost. I've paid a lot of money for vinyls over the years and I think this will fit nicely in my collection!
The only thing I collect are vinyl records, so I was so stoked to hear that CEA was getting one and I'm even happier to hear that Halo 4 will be getting a vinyl-esque record. One wall on my room is completely filled with framed records, so it'll look really awesome next to 'em.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not hatin' on people who are buying the OST. That's awesome. Just seems overpriced to me. But I'm looking to drop $300 on a fucking headset before Halo 4 launches, which even to me feels somewhat absurd. So I definitely can't judge. :p

I am still waiting for the $50 Cortana 8GB flash drive for OG 360 peasants. Includes exclusive AR weapon skin "Grimy".
Hahaha, I would NOT be surprised.

Top Bottom