• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP ZZ Gundam

killatopak

Prepare for walls of texts. Also not a native speaker so prepare for bad grammar as well.

mobile-suit-gundam-zz-2.jpg

I was a big Gundam fan when Gundam Wing first started airing and it was gone as fast as it had come cause there were no follow up shows on Toonami. Until Gundam G that is which my friend introduced to me. Bless him. Gundam G showed me the "super" side of Gundam and made me feel like a kid again. while Wing showed me the cool and political side of it. I remember my mother telling me I was murmuring "Gundam" in my sleep. I knew I was hooked. Since then I was hungry for more. I found SEED because at the time, there was this classmate of mine who can't stop talking about it. I watched it and it showed another side of Gundam for me which is the effects war on people. I really liked how the Kira's growth was pronounced all the way til the end. Retroactively, I hated how it turned into beam spam after he got Freedom but I digress. I really enjoyed SEED and I read stuff about it after watching it. Learned that it was supposed to be more grim and how it stopped being a homage to Gundam 0079 and how it stopped being good after the desert arc. This led me to UC.

Oh boy, was I in for a ride. Tomino you sob, you may be a depressed man but boy do you make great anime. They really captured the depressing side of war much better than SEED did. I watched 0079 and Zeta blind. All the twist and turns was amazing. The drama, the ending, the betrayal. They were unarguably a classic. What do I do next? Of course I have to watch the sequel ZZ Gundam but I made the big mistake, I looked to see for other people's opinions first unlike how I went blind with 79 and Zeta. Everybody, at the time, unequivocally said that ZZ sucks ass and turned super goofy. I watched the first few episodes critically until fucking Moon Moon and I gave up feeling that the whole thing is gonna be like that.

Since then I avoided it and watched others like the Destiny, 00, Age, Unicorn, Stardust Memory, and 08th MS Team. 08th MS team and Unicorn probably stood out the most to me during that time which are all UC based so I knew which universe was my favorite. I recently played Super Robot Wars V which featured ZZ gundam. I found that the characters and the mech were pretty enjoyable over all. It also convinced me that there would be no Unicorn without ZZ Gundam since Marida and by extension Ple were in it. I decided to rewatch ZZ Gundam from the beginning with a clear mind devoid of expectations.

From episode 1 to Moon Moon, all the cringe was gone and I found myself chuckling from time to time. I don't know if it's because I went it without expectations or because I lost my teenager edginess. I thought it ain't half bad. 0079 and Zeta was depressing as fuck and while I enjoyed that, ZZ is a breath of fresh air that was needed and it reminded me of how goofy Gundam G, which I enjoyed a lot, could be. Then episode 21(Cecilia The Crybaby part 2 or something) happened. I was like oh shit is Tomino depressed again?! Since then there was a series of great episodes that I enjoyed a lot and damn am I glad to have held on for this long.

I am currently at episode 27 and each episode makes me optimistic for the later episode. This made me realize I really have to watch other Gundam series. I have also put off G reco and Turn A because of the character designs alone. Definitely gonna watch them as well.

Anyway, for the pros and cons as of now.

Pros:
-Main cast are very smart with their tactics it's also the first time I saw the protagonist use other gundams than their own. Judau likes to use the Zeta for mobility for example. Most protagonists just use brute force.
- Surprisingly funny at times. Well this just my personal opinion.
- I enjoyed the soundtrack with its mix of Zeta soundtrack. Both OP were catchy as well.
- I really liked how the crew grew and became more mature as time go on. They are increasingly becoming likable.
- I like Marida so it automatically makes me like Ple. I found her to be a bit bratty but I realized that these were probably the effects of the brainwashing, loneliness, and how spoiled she was by Neo Zeon.
- I really like the contrast between the comedic parts and the serious parts of the story. It's like everything was all fun and games because everybody was inexperienced, even the Neo Zeon troops Mashymre was heading with all their honor and such. Going out of Shangri-la and finally seeing the world themselves allowed them to grow as a pilot and as a person. With Judau and Glemy Toto being the biggest examples.

Cons
- Beecha and Mondo are fucking idiots.
- There were tons of time I thought Judau was a hypocrite. For example he was blaming Neo Zeon for using civilians and children for war while completely forgetting that he himself was a civilian and a child.
- Mashymre Cello was forgotten like an unwanted child along with the transition from comedy to a more serious vibe. I really enjoyed the serious moments of ZZ but removing Mashymre ,who was a very high ranking officer and even higher than Glemy Toto ,which took front stage after the transition, was very jarring.
- There were some strange technical inconsistencies like Gundam Mark 2's bazooka previously firing had missile sounds and in the next scene, when it fires it, it turns into beam rifle sounds.
- Really takes time to ramp up. Reading right now most people enjoyed the series only after episode 18 where I did at episode 21.

Sorry for the wall of text.

TL;DR

I watched ZZ gundam for a dozen episodes, hated it, watched it again from the beginning, enjoyed it.

muteki

I enjoyed it for the most part especially the mechanical designs. Leina was probably my biggest problem with the show.

The Dublin colony drop episodes are some of my favorites in UC gundam.

Dysun

It's pretty underrated due to the first 20 episodes being lackluster. The second half is great and on par with alot of Zeta.
Moon Moon is definitely the apex of the series, in both bad and great ways.

Um...Ple and Merida are not the same person. On that note ZZ is great..the second time you've watched it. I didn't exactly like it that much till around the midway point either. Beecha and Mondo should've been ejected into vacuum of space. I like Kamille more than Judau, but he ain't bad.

killatopak

Um...Ple and Merida are not the same person. On that note ZZ is great..the second time you've watched it. I didn't exactly like it that much till around the midway point either. Beecha and Mondo should've been ejected into vacuum of space. I like Kamille more than Judau, but he ain't bad.

I knew Ple and Marida were not the same since Marida was designated Ple 12 or something. They are something like clones though in the same manner Full Frontal is a vessel for Char.

I really like Kamille as well but I'll reserve my judgement on who is better after I've watched the whole thing.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
ZZ Gundam is criminally underrated. Haman fucking running shit is the best. It starts off eh, but by the time you get to the Africa arc it really shines.

I also feel ZZ is spiritually closer to Zeta in terms of the crew being close knit and almost a family than Zeta is.

I really, like ZZ.

Doukou

ZZ is good but I always felt like Gundam X was way more successful at what ZZ aimed for. That is delivering a mix of comedic light hearted moments and depressing war moments.

killatopak

After posting the thread. I continued watching episode 27.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. JUDAU YOU BEAST!

Haman you're in for a world of hurt. It also shows that every kid(elle, roux etc) was a newtype. Everybody was Newtype all along.

I might turn this thread into an episode by episode impressions thread.

ZZ is good but I always felt like Gundam X was way more successful at what ZZ aimed for. That is delivering a mix of comedic light hearted moments and depressing war moments.

I know which one to watch next. Thanks.

I knew Ple and Marida were not the same since Marida was designated Ple 12 or something. They are something like clones though in the same manner Full Frontal is a vessel for Char.

I really like Kamille as well but I'll reserve my judgement on who is better after I've watched the whole thing.
Yeah just double checking since Ple and her clones do not act alike. Merida had a hard life. I think most people actually prefer Judau honestly. Kamille's just my type of man.

The first 20 eps are odd, lot of silly in them, a couple decent parts, but after that the show does get serious and interesting. Even the silly characters seem to slightly sober up on the stupid. It kinda felt like different folks came in and wrote the series after those initial eps

Rymuth

Hate this entry so goddamn much.

When Bright and co. started a food fight with the Zeon officers, my mind broke.

killatopak

Episode 28: OH SHIT!
Did Leina just die?!

Episode started off to a positive start with the kids and Judau with Leina reuniting. Ple then drags Leina to someplace deserted while Judau is unconscious. I really didn't like how Ple acted in this scene but I understand it from her point of view and as an unloved kid. As a kid you always have these times where you compare yourself with others especially with siblings.

Another thing that stood out to me is that Glemy is no longer as gullible as before. Twice he was deceived and played as a fool by Roux but this time he turned the tables on her. This results in the dramatic conclusion of the episode.

Unicorn, but more specific
Puru 12/Marida Cruz
, redeems ZZ in my opinion. I think it's worth the watch only if you stick to UC until Unicorn.

WOOOOOAH

SIIIIIIIIIIILENT VOOOOOOICE

Also this. Silent Voice is straight up one of the greats, among the best opening Gundam songs.

killatopak

WOOOOOAH

Unicorn, but more specific
Puru 12/Marida Cruz
, redeems ZZ in my opinion. I think it's worth the watch only if you stick to UC until Unicorn.

Also this. Silent Voice is straight up one of the greats, among the best opening Gundam songs.

Yep. I really liked the ost enough to list it in my pros. First time I heard it(Silent Voice) was in SRW V where it was voiceless and I already enjoyed it then. Anime Ja Nai or whatever it's title is got stuck into my head due to its constant playing in Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus.

The tracks I enjoy in gundam the most is probably Hoshizora no Believe. Zeta is dark as hell and the contrast of the ending theme really brings joy to my heart. I really enjoy Re I am as well. There's tons but It'll take up forever to list them.

Beth Cyra

ZZ is worth it for Judau alone, he is so damn awesome and only gets better, easily my favorite Gundam lead.

Also, I love ZZ because it's different for a Lead Gundam, it's bulky and powerful but it does have some downsides, but the improvements it gets are fun and make a ton sense and is handled a lot better than just throwing the lead a new Gundam.

Plus I don't know, I just love Judau's presence and his overal persona so much that it easily made up for everything else, and Haman is even better in ZZ then she was in Zeta.

Lastly the fact Judau is as powerful as he is just is amazing.

killatopak

Episode 29: You're still just a kid

Episode was off to a depressing start with Judau not wanting to leave the core fighter. Everybody has their own opinion on the matter on which I have no clue which is right but in order to push through. Judau has to fight.

I thought Beecha and Mondo was getting better but they pulled a dirty but effective move on Glemy by using Roux. During the past few episode I thought Glemy had the most impressive growth and maturity but having Roux near him made him return to the way he initially was, gullible and immature. I thought he already went past this during the last episode when he turned the tables on Roux.

The rules of the military are finally dawning on Judau and the others. The kids from Shangri La may escape punishment a few times but things are different on military personnel like Roux.

Will Ple being a cyber newtype affect her physically? Will Roux be found? Will Glemy finally let go of his feelings for Roux? Find out on the next episode!

It gets really good about half way through, and i really like Haman. It has some great mech design ofcourse - i especially like the 'mega' zeon suits like the Queen Mansa and Hamma Hamma. Overall i'd say 0079 and Zeta are better though :)

killatopak

Episode 30: Is that Char?!

Running away from the battlefield, we find Roux on a city that is ran by Franks or Europeans. The Blue Corps seeks to infiltrate this city with the help of Glemy. After we see Roux exploit a local artist to get in the city, I thought he looked and sounded like Char but the eventual meet up between Glemy, him and Roux turned into a fist fight and that artist was too much of a weakling to be the almighty Quattro Bajeena.

Looking for supplies and being tipped by Ple, the Gundam crew find themselves on the same city Roux is in and encounters the Blue corps and engages in battle. I find that Judau still seem to rely on Ple's Newtype powers despite the capability he has shown in Dakar. Judau's prowess still remains to be a potential as of now. Either that or it regressed after Leina died.

One thing this episode showed is that Glemy seems to be hesitant of the current Neo Zeon regime and want to usurp the throne and take it for himself. Due to his eventual Ascension as the Blue Corp's leader, I guess he'll use them as stepping stones to his goal. If he still abides by the late leader of Blue Corp's will is yet to be seen.

Glemy I have high hopes for you but you still revert to your comedic self every time you see Roux. Roux on the other hand is childish for running away despite being a military officer.

Another thing that stood out was how the Gundam crew, Elle and Lino, in particular were improving as pilots and it shows in their recent fight with the Blue Corps.

killatopak

Beecha being rational is very surprising and I'm glad he's not the shitty character he once was.

Ple mixing up Glemy and Roux led me to believe they were connected to each other probably the same way Haman and Judau are but are affecting them pretty differently. Elle and Lino also discusses how Leina's death really dulled Judau's senses.

The arrival of the Neo Zeon led by August and Gadeb marked the destruction of the city. This also shows that despite the building up of Gadeb to be a great man of character, he turns out to be a tyrant which resorts to using force to fulfill his wishes. It is a bit hypocritical of the Blue Corps forces to criticize Gadeb and his team of working with "Franks" while still working with Glemy, a Frank, themselves.

Roux really showed her experience as a military personnel in this episode for it was she who secured the mobile suit's safety. She also kicked a lot of ass while using the ZZ gundam. Destroying multiple suits that Judau and his friends are having problems with.

BasilZero

I finished it few months ago.

Truly hated it.

Did not enjoy ZZ at all. I feel it was the weakest and worst of the original trilogy (Gundam, Zeta and ZZ).

killatopak

I finished it few months ago.

Truly hated it.

Did not enjoy ZZ at all. I feel it was the weakest and worst of the original trilogy (Gundam, Zeta and ZZ).

I don't know if it's because I watched Gundam and Zeta so long ago but I'm enjoying ZZ right now a lot. Maybe because I looked past all of the silly parts but I think it's still great. I haven't finished it yet obviously and I don't know where it ranks in the end but for now it is dead last on the 3 main UC series as it really needed a lot of time to become good. I don't know if that is enough to hate it.

---

Gundam Info the official channel in Youtube for watching Gundam only has up to episode 33 of ZZ Gundam. Is there anywhere else I can watch it? It seems Gundam Info only uploads an episode a week.

I don't know if it's because I watched Gundam and Zeta so long ago but I'm enjoying ZZ right now a lot. Maybe because I looked past all of the silly parts but I think it's still great. I haven't finished it yet obviously and I don't know where it ranks in the end but for now it is dead last on the 3 main UC series as it really needed a lot of time to become good. I don't know if that is enough to hate it.

---

Gundam Info the official channel in Youtube for watching Gundam only has up to episode 33 of ZZ Gundam. Is there anywhere else I can watch it? It seems Gundam Info only uploads an episode a week.
I think once you realize what to expect tonally it's a lot easier to just sit down and watch ZZ. Watching that, immediately after Zeta is fucking jarring.

I got a love hate relationship with this series especially because it felt like, starting off, the writers were trying to over-correct for how bleak the end of Zeta was getting but then halfway through completely 180'd. But then, after all of that,
they wuss out on keeping Leina dead.

This isnt an anime tho. Really it isnt. Also judau is secret best gundam mc, for giving no fucks and getting shit done.

He also didn't get punked out by Wong like Kamille did.

KHlover

Banned
Super underrated Gundam show. The first 10 or so episodes range from "not good" to "shit", but after that it's actually better than Zeta, imo. Judau is a great MC who sticks to his guns and gets shit done.

killatopak

Betrayals everywhere. Haman has her own plans, Glemy has his own plans heck even August has his own plans had he not bit the bullet at the end of the episode.

Beecha the fucker had his fit of immaturity back and piloted the ZZ because he was jealous of people praising Judau. What I'm glad about is how it showed he improves at the end. Hopefully it stays that way for good and Mondo doesn't have his turn of fuckery.

Ple Two is introduced in this episode and that really makes it hard to like Glemy with how he exploits children. I think he has pedophilia along with his oedipus complex.

During the fighting, Judau completely shows his superior fighting skills decisively using inferior mech. He has mechanical, tactical and strategical skills shown throughout the show. He's catching up to Amuro and Kamille. The only thing missing is his Newtype prowess as it has yet to manifest as anything but something to scare Haman with.

This hand of mine is burning red
Its power tells me to defeat you!

G Gundam da best

Finally gonna watch episode 33. Might be a while before I can watch 34.

killatopak

I really like this episode. There were a lot of times I laughed despite some serious parts of the episode. Meeting Fa alludes to Kamille being at Dublin as well.

Finally, Judau shows some Newtype prowess. It's only basic telepathy but as long as he's growing stronger then it's all good.

Earth Federation are a bunch of pigs and corrupt officials. After watching CCA and Unicorn, I always wondered why they needed to form Londo Bell. A separate entity from EF and Zeon was really needed or else this war would never end.

killatopak

Right when I was about to take a break Gundam Info uploaded episode 34. YES!

They also uploaded 35 when I finished watching 34 woooo!!

Fucking Earth Federation pieces of shit. Can't believe they would blame the Argama from an attack that clearly came for Neo Zeon.

Ple is useful at times she can be reckless as well. I believe this time she was reckless. Launching on a one armed mark 2 is just hoping for failure. Good thing the strongest vegetable, Kamille, is around to save the day. Just by instructing them on what to do, the gundam team defeated Glemy and his gang and made them retreat.

It's a shame we can't see how powerful Kamille as a pilot can be post Zeta but we can at least see how strong he is as a Newtype from here. It's not easy to accurately communicate over long distances and with multiple people as well just by being a Newtype. Never mind that Kamille is just doing it without any mechanical assistance like Psycommu, Biosensor or Psychoframes.

I don't know if Judau can surpass how powerful Kamille was in this episode but I look forward for it as I've read numerous people say that Judau may not be the best pilot but he is the strongest Newtype.

killatopak

Zeon dropping loads which I assume will ultimately lead to Char dropping loads as well only much bigger.

This is a really sad episode. I hate to say goodbye to one of the White Base crew. I can't help but think that it was inevitable. Hayato was looking for ways to die. He wanted to meet his son. I just feel sad about Fraw. She lost her son and now she lost her husband as well.

Kamille seems to get better as time passes on. Hopefully, he can help the Gundam team out even if he's not personally fighting.

Ple saying he loves Judau is a no go. Anybody who says something like that raises a death flag you know?! I hope they can pull through this failure. Find the dirty politicians responsible for the delayed rescue operations and allowing Haman to operate freely. Put that person on death row or in the slammer for life.

The only way it can get worse is the return of the Psycho Gundam.

killatopak

I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Damn it Ple, I told you it was a death flag, I TOLD YOU!!!!

Goddammit, everybody's dead. Sigh. This is turning into Zeta all over again.

Some good things, they remembered about Mashymre and it was he who planned the colony drop. Hopefully Chara Soon will come back as well without the crazy antics.

SRWV showed me Ple and Ple 2 were friends /goddammit why did they have to go and kill each other?

I was hoping Kamille would be able to help but he's powerless as well.

Well, at least Judau's able to channel his NT ability to his suit.

I should probably get around to finishing ZZ sometime soon.
Victory and ZZ are the only seriess I haven't finished. I don't even count AGE since I never even started that one.

It wasn't as bad as Victory but it was just too all over the place for me to enjoy right after finally watching Zeta in its entirety.

Betrayals everywhere. Haman has her own plans, Glemy has his own plans heck even August has his own plans had he not bit the bullet at the end of the episode.

Beecha the fucker had his fit of immaturity back and piloted the ZZ because he was jealous of people praising Judau. What I'm glad about is how it showed he improves at the end. Hopefully it stays that way for good and Mondo doesn't have his turn of fuckery.

Ple Two is introduced in this episode and that really makes it hard to like Glemy with how he exploits children. I think he has pedophilia along with his oedipus complex.

During the fighting, Judau completely shows his superior fighting skills decisively using inferior mech. He has mechanical, tactical and strategical skills shown throughout the show. He's catching up to Amuro and Kamille. The only thing missing is his Newtype prowess as it has yet to manifest as anything but something to scare Haman with.
Yes Glemy is a pedophile. Fuck that asshole. Him galavanting around with a dozen prepubescent girls that are naked and not even bothering to fetch them a towel or clothing or whatever is disgusting.
I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Damn it Ple, I told you it was a death flag, I TOLD YOU!!!!

Goddammit, everybody's dead. Sigh. This is turning into Zeta all over again.

Some good things, they remembered about Mashymre and it was he who planned the colony drop. Hopefully Chara Soon will come back as well without the crazy antics.

SRWV showed me Ple and Ple 2 were friends /goddammit why did they have to go and kill each other?

I was hoping Kamille would be able to help but he's powerless as well.

Well, at least Judau's able to channel his NT ability to his suit.
Judau not really feeling...anything for Ple dying is one thing that pisses me the fuck off about Judau because Kamille would've mourned her. He mourned all his waifu's, even nutty ass Rosamia.
I should probably get around to finishing ZZ sometime soon.
Victory and ZZ are the only seriess I haven't finished. I don't even count AGE since I never even started that one.

It wasn't as bad as Victory but it was just too all over the place for me to enjoy right after finally watching Zeta in its entirety.
I actually like Victory and consider Katejina to be one of the better Gundam villains.

Leezard

I like ZZ, both the series and the mech. I usually skip the Moon-moon episodes when I watch the series, but the later part of the series is great and I like that Judau is a different type of protagonist than Kamille and Amuro. He does not want to get punched in the face.

I like ZZ, both the series and the mech. I usually skip the Moon-moon episodes when I watch the series, but the later part of the series is great and I like that Judau is a different type of protagonist than Kamille and Amuro. He does not want to get punched in the face.
He has moments of deserving it though. Even Fa slapped that kid, Judau's just way better at punch dodging than Amuro and Kamille.

I actually like Victory and consider Katejina to be one of the better Gundam villains.

I might go back and finish it one day along with ZZ just so I can say I've watched eveything. I got to the episodes that introduced that entire squad of hot surrogate mothers/sisters only to immediately kill them off in the most horrific ways possible.

I just couldn't really handle more than that. Went and watched some Macross 7 to clean my palette.

The first 10 to 12 episodes are absolute garbage. I dislike a lot of ZZ for reasons other than that initial tonal shift. So many times I feel like it disrespects legacy characters for no reason. Most of these characters will be from Zeta, but I'll spoiler tag each of them.

In the first episode,
Remember how they killed that one random crew member from Zeta for seemingly no reason? Yeah, me neither.
I guess it's supposed to make the crew of the Argama feel... Sad? but they forget about it in 12 seconds.

Or how about
the way they treat Yazan Gable? He was a rabid animal in Zeta, not to mention an Ace pilot. Now he's a homeless jabroni who sucks at everything he does.

So many characters become worse, either in MS pilot skill, or in personality.
Bright for the most part becomes an annoyed babysitter, which I'm fine with,
but he becomes real sketch when he interacts with Emily. He's a hunk so of course anyone would be interested in him, but for such a responsible family man, it feels awkward that he doesn't outright shut her down immediately. Fa, while not an ace pilot by any means, has been dialed down to incompetent. In Zeta she was surrounded by Ace veterans, powerful Newtypes, and Ex-Titan prototype pilots, so of course she'd seem worse in comparison, but her sole purpose in Zeta is to suck metaphorical dick.There's some cool stuff with Hayato around the 2/3rds point, but he's only re-introduced for the sake of killing him off, which is less offensive than the treatment of other characters, but it does come off as a missed opportunity. Haman Khan is the greatest legacy character in ZZ, though I still wish she had more screentime and interaction with Judau.

My dislike for ZZ isn't just because of the shows that preceded it, though. There's also a lot of failures with it's original elements. New characters like Chara Soon or Mashymre are not only obnoxious to begin with, but are repetitive and unthreatening foils. Half of the soundtrack is re-used from Zeta, and the other half feels less imaginative, being more iterative on Zeta's sound while not retaining as many memorable motifs. The MS design is spotty at best, again, with the best designs being the more iterative ones. The actual Double Zeta Gundam is silly and less practical than other transforming MS, and detracts from the grounded feel of Gundam. There's also less of an emphasis on the politics of the enemy, and I think it really hurts the show. Instead of time that could be spent understanding Neo Zeon, we're stuck with the main characters, which, in any other show would be fine, but most of this time with the main characters is spent in filler episodes that don't flesh anyone out. Astionage, Torres, Shinta, and Qum all contribute more to the bigger picture most of the time, with the battle at Dakar being the biggest time for the main cast to shine. There are also lot of strange one-off subplots that don't really go anywhere, like the
hidden shopping mall city thing in the desert. what was that about?
And don't even get me started on the four Moon Moon episodes.
Initially it's just a really awful two-part take on a Star Trek episode, but with no actual philosophical themes or messages. And just when you think that the worst is behind you and you're in the latter half of the show where things are actually getting pretty good, the characters from Moon Moon show up again to aid in somehow making two more episodes that are even worse.

The art-style is also disappointingly near-identical to Zeta, which makes sense given the production cycle and the time between ZZ and Zeta, but the coloring is really bad. Chalk it up to a shift on status quo, where the big bad enemies are different from Zeta, but a lot of the colors are grossly oversaturated and mismatched. There's a lot more orange in everything, and it's initially really distracting.

Another thing that I feel could have been vastly expanded upon is the interactions among the crew. Zeta may have gotten a little melodramatic in areas, but I never really felt the different connections between everyone in ZZ. Judau more or less doesn't give a shit about any of the crew minus Leina and later Puru, Mondo and Beecha are the antagonistic foils, and Roux get's her own sublot with Glemy while Lino does nothing the entire time. I guess Beecha likes Elle, and Elle likes Judau? But that only ever comes up like twice. I don't mean surface interactions either, but like, what their actual relationships are with one another. What even are their relationships with their parents? They're not really orphans, but they just kind of ignore it, and it becomes more transparent that our main characters are kids, because... It's Gundam, and that's the Gundam trope, I guess?

By the end of the show, I did really end up enjoying myself a decent amount, and I even cared for the characters, though I'm not sure if it's legitimate or a case of Stockholm syndrome. I feel as if the first 10 to 12 episodes were re-tooled, and certain characters were cut, ZZ would almost be a bonafide classic. But alas, we're stuck with the original 37 episodes.

But Silent Voice is one of the greatest anime OPs of all time, so I guess it's all worth it.

TLDR; ZZ Gundam is bad for so many more reasons than it "being silly", but Haman Khan is my waifu so I'll let it slide.

I might go back and finish it one day along with ZZ just so I can say I've watched eveything. I got to the episodes that introduced that entire squad of hot surrogate mothers/sisters only to immediately kill them off in the most horrific ways possible.

I just couldn't really handle more than that. Went and watched some Macross 7 to clean my palette.
Victory is definitely an acquired taste but I love it. It's pretty much Tomino at his best/worst. There are good characters in it, but it's the show I think he hates the most due to executive meddling. Also don't view Chronicle as the Char clone, he's not really the Char in this show.
Dodging the Wong punch is a good feat.

I can't remember if Beecha or Mondo ever got punched.
Beecha and Mondo should have been ejected into space.

darfox8

Neo Member
I'm also watching ZZ Gundam for the first time and I really love it. I like it more than Zeta. Zeta was slightly over hyped for me and I enjoyed it but more from an academic perspective. It was cool seeing a direct sequel to 0079 and seeing how the characters and world evolved. It also looked great. I think I didn't ultimately enjoy it on a personal level, tho.

ZZ on the other hand was a joy from the start. It had a self aware tone and a clarity in the character's motivations that made it very likeable to me.

Currently in Episode 34. Just have a few more to binge but I haven't found the time yet.

killatopak

Finally got to watch a few episodes. Gundam Info uploads so slow. Maybe I should just go to a non official streaming site.

Things are happening fast and the Argama crew are now heading back to space in order to catch up to Haman for a decisive battle. They left the Argama and were greeted with the Nahel Argama on La Vi En Rose. Things were looking bright until we learn that they are getting rid of Judau and the others in exchange for some newly trained crew members. While arguing about the issue they were attacked by Mashymre's team. An unfortunate accident happened so the Nahel Argama was left without Bright so they forge on with Beecha as the captain.

I'm really glad Mashymre's back and got given the serious treatment. He's still hopelessly infatuated with Haman though. I think he was given new crew members as he's very harsh on this one. The new named character seems to have a resonance with Judau and it feels like she'll be the Four or Lalah of the series who'll develop romantic interest with the protagonist. Judau's plan to fight the new MS was risky and stupid but somehow it worked. It was kinda interesting that the ZZ Gundam could still stay in MS mode without the core fighter in addition to be able to be controlled remotely albeit crudely.

It'll be interesting to see how Beecha and the others perform without Bright. I feel that the coming episodes will be a lot more serious as the younger kids like Qum who were mostly comic relief, stayed at La Vi En Rose.

Judau not really feeling...anything for Ple dying is one thing that pisses me the fuck off about Judau because Kamille would've mourned her. He mourned all his waifu's, even nutty ass Rosamia.

Yeah, I was like wtf they weren't even mourning for her? Not only Judau but the rest of the crew as well. She saved their butt a couple of times too. I'm sad that she wasn't appreciated on board and especially so for Judau as I thought he thinks of her as a sister.

killatopak

The way they drew Emari before she embarks for Argama was really weird. I thought she looked different and inferior but it was back to normal once the action started.

Beecha was a stupid fuck again on this episode. Emari is a love struck fool but she at least found a way to make Beecha right again. Not only were our Federation crew stupid but Mashimyre's were as well. When the goal was so close, they just had to interfere due to their stupid pride.

I really felt that they shouldn't have shown Leina being alive before this episode as it would make Judau mumbling about Leina a lot more serious and concerning but since we know she's really alive, it's very anti climatic.

Only one more episode until the latest upload.

I just recently rewatched Unicorn and I noticed why I liked it so much. They show how the grunts do battle and not just focus on the Gundam. It felt more raw and I wish ZZ shows it too by showing how others fight and not just ZZ Gundam.

Yeah, I was like wtf they weren't even mourning for her? Not only Judau but the rest of the crew as well. She saved their butt a couple of times too. I'm sad that she wasn't appreciated on board and especially so for Judau as I thought he thinks of her as a sister.
Ple tried to be there for Judau when he thought his sister was there and tried to help him get through it. Then she dies, then Leina comes back and he practically acts like she don't exist. Yeah I know afterwards there like some one shot where he's rescuing the Ple clones or something, but in show the lack of care annoyed me. Not to mention how he treated Fa and lashes out at some mechanic I think and chokes the shit out of her. A lot of people act like Judau is so cool and what not, but that's really just not my opinion of him. I don't hate him by any means, but I don't exactly find him that interesting. He has this too cool for school attitude and frankly I don't think the show smacks him back down to reality enough.

Top Bottom