• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it common to give a powerpoint presentation at a funeral?

My grandmother died and her husband gave the eulogy... The eulogy was a really standard powerpoint presentation except instead of things like "sales goals; what we accomplished last year; etc" it was "memory number one;places we lived at;etc"

I don't want to criticize my grandfather but I have never seen this before and it felt really surreal, does this often happen at funerals?

(Also, the room was set to like 64 degrees or something, it was fucking freezing)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean it's just another way to show a slideshow of their lives together right? Let the man grieve and renege however he wants.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The most recent one I went to had a projector with a DVD that had been produced with tons of home footage and pictures of the deceased, along with a condensed history provided through fact slides to help narrate their life. The other rooms had the exact same setup, to my knowledge.

And yes, every funeral home I've ever been to has the thermostat set fairly low.

I mean it's just another way to show a slideshow of their lives together right? Let the man grieve and renege however he wants.

It was a powerpoint presentation of mostly text, not a slideshow.

I feel bad for my grandfather and I hope he can find peace, but I have never seen this before... It's a minor thing, but does this happen?

HeySeuss

Maybe he needed that to stay on point. It's easy to lose yourself in the emotion of the moment and not say everything you wanted to.

Verelios

Well...no, but if that's how he wants to grieve then let him. Short of somebody pissing on the casket, everything is fair.

It was in the bible. Lazarus gives a snappy presentation to Jesus on the surge of followers resulting from his resurrection by Jesus.

Strimei

I set up a powerpoint memorial thing to auto-play in the background for a remembrance thing for my late aunt several years ago. It was just pictures, though, and cycled.

No real presentation beyond that though.

Eh slideshows at funerals is a thing this is just technology advancing. No more weird than a picture board or something.

Hmm... Maybe true.

I wonder if we'll ever see a powerpoint presentation funeral during a movie.

My grandfather did well at the eulogy and he's being strong right now. I tried to support him there and I hope this doesn't come across as cruel, I don't mean to criticize him but to express the confusion I felt at the form of the eulogy.

v1lla21

I hope that when I die, someone goes up and just starts reading my weird posts on gaf.

My boss did the same for his mother's funeral but it was nice.

WaterAstro

As you can see on this chart, the disagreement we had during the year of 1990 had made our relationship dip to the lowest ever in history. I had to come up with strategic plans in order to recover our stock, which include the following:
  • Corporate Gifts
  • Vacation Benefits
  • Company Outings
  • Bedroom Team Building

I want beat boxing at my funeral. Actually, I want one guy beat boxing and another guy reading a power point presentation.

Word to ya Microsoft.

Yeah I remember when my grandmother on my mother's side passed. An older cousin of mine wrote a really long poem and tied it to a slide show of pictures.

I thought it was really sweet.

mhayes86

My condolences for the loss of your grandmother, but props to your grandfather for knowing how to put a PowerPoint presentation together.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was like no way but then I thought about it and it makes perfect sense and gives normal people a tool to commemorate someone's life in a dignified way. Fonts permitting obviously...

I've only ever seen them do the slide show in the viewing room pre-funeral. But I actually like that idea of doing something like that during the eulogy. Better than hearing about how so and so was close to the Lord and all that blizz blazz.

FyreWulff

It's just the modern version of the slideshow of pictures, etc. I mean Powerpoint's terminology comes directly from that.

akira28

so what are your loved one's projections for Q2FY19? I'm sure by then he would have had his portfolio refreshed, diversified his lifetime holdings, etc. Death transfers and such.

Depends on the church.

lol yeah I came in here expecting some Mormon goodness.

akira28

did he give out a prospectus along with the homegoing program?

when my grandma passed we found out all about her hidden apple and microsoft shares.

shoelacer

Banned
I dunno, there's all types of weird ass shit at funerals. At my grandmothers funeral there was an option for ppl to write a message to her on these fancy little scrolls and then slip it in a box in her coffin and that was weird as fuck to me. Like she's dead dawg, either she's in the ether and maybe can see you or something or has much bigger post-life concerns, but I'm pretty sure she's not gonna be opening that box

Effect

Sorry for your loss.

Eh slideshows at funerals is a thing this is just technology advancing. No more weird than a picture board or something.

Pretty much an evolution of that. Weird at first I guess but I would expect to see more uses of it like this in all events. Just another way of presenting things and some people need things structured to keep composed.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
It's not uncommon. A slideshow during the eulogy is odd, but... eh. Most funerals have pictures in the program, and a set on a table or easel for guest coming in. It is more common to get a looping video of a few of their pictures set to some of their favorite songs. This is set out in the lobby usually, and also set up/played at the wake/gathering after the procession or service.

I have been to far too many funerals.

Top Bottom