• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

Style

Banned
Easy as fuck, to be honest. I've won all of my matches so far and I'm using a far from perfect team (less than ideal natures, not fully EV trained - the only thing that's correct are movesets, and honestly, even those are lacking).

I wouldn't worry about hacks online. There's nothing that hackers can do that you can't - 'mons with illegitimate states/movesets are banned automatically.

I know it's my first Pokemon competition, but I found it pretty hard. Only won half of my daily battles. >_>

evanmisha

9-6 today for my Battle of Alola matches. Feeling good!

So many Ninetails with Freeze-Dry, though. Wish the hack check picked up that it's not possible to get that egg move until Bank comes out.

So many Ninetails with Freeze-Dry, though. Wish the hack check picked up that it's not possible to get that egg move until Bank comes out.
Ninetales can legitimately get Freeze Dry because it can breed with Smeargle and there are Pokemon in Alola that learn Freeze Dry. So you just use Ditto to sketch it.

Bii

Took me 4 hours to get a Destiny Knot via five Meowths with the Pickup ability. Sheesh. At least I picked up a ton of Moon/Sun stones, Leftovers and Big Nuggets in the process.

Izayoi

Banned
I know it's my first Pokemon competition, but I found it pretty hard. Only won half of my daily battles. >_>
Don't be afraid to switch. Assume a SE move, and switch into something that resists. I rarely see people switch out, even in disadvantageous situations.

You have 90 seconds before the match starts to size up the enemy team. Plenty of time to check for common weaknesses and counterpick accordingly.

FUCK YES. Finally beat Super Singles. Now I can use Passionate throwing style. Oh my god, that took so many goddamn tries with so many different teams.

My team ended up being these guys, very different from what I started with

Kartana
Nature: Adamant
EV Spread: 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Hold Item: Focus Sash

Leaf Blade
Sacred Sword
Smart Strike
Psycho Cut

Tapu Fini
Nature: Modest
EV Spread: 252 HP, 252 Special Attack
Hold Item: Leftovers

Nature's Madness
Moon blast
Aqua Ring
Surf

Mega Salamence
Nature: Jolly
EV Spread: 252 Attack, 252 Speed

Fire Blast
Dragon Dance
Double Edge
Earthquake

When I finally got to Red, Kartana completely sweeper him. OHKO on Lapras, Snorlax and Venusaur. I was laughing so hard.

I created this team by Demoli that he posted in the last thread and it got me through basic singles damn easilly. Gonna try Super sometime soon.

Here's the trio I run:

Scizor - Adamant
Choice Band (Exert Belt while i didnt have CB)
Technician
252hp, 252 Att, 4Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-U-turn
-Pursuit

Gengar - Timid
Life Orb
Cursed Body (rip levitate)
252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4hp
-Substitue
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast

Dragonite - Adamant
Lum Berry
Multiscale
252Att, 252Spe, 4HP
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Steel Wing

Still haven't lost, always quit immidiatly after 50 wins

Scizor can destroy 90% of teams by himself, total beast. Dragonite can set up on literally anything and just destroy what Scizor left behind. Gengar is a very solid mon with a few immunities that is often a sacrificial lamb, but one that can wallbreak really hard.

The only mons that give me trouble are focus sash weavile and bullshit like Quick Claws and brightpowders.

Got me a gold Smeargle. Less than 50 in the SOS chain. Think I have about 9 shiny pokemon in Sun alone, plus one for Moon. Seems too easy now.

Busaiku

Hurray, got back up over 1500!
...unless my last loss took me down 23 points...

I think I went like 10 - 5 this time though.
Probably worse, but better than yesterday.

My movesets are so terrible though.
Did not know Kartana got Sacred Sword, I'm stuck on Brick Break...
And Defog on Tapu Fini is just why.

Didn't keep track of my WL record for today, but I'm probably in the red. I keep losing to players who don't know what they're doing, and that makes me sad and upset lol

Ironically I perform better against higher ranking people since I can try to counter play against plays that make sense. Why would anyone keep a Talonflame in against a Tapu Koko just to Flare Blitz

First time playing battles online and I'm having fun. Just sorta threw a team together and I think I went about 50/50. I was stressed out about playing this game online but it's a little more laid back that I thought it would be. Breeding is just a time sink and I don't know which Pokémon to work on.

Izayoi

Banned
First time playing battles online and I'm having fun. Just sorta threw a team together and I think I went about 50/50. I was stressed out about playing this game online but it's a little more laid back that I thought it would be. Breeding is just a time sink and I don't know which Pokémon to work on.
Start with your favorites!

I've never really been huge on breeding before this game, but I'm having a blast now.

I've got over 12 perfect nature 6IV mons now... Once you start it's hard to stop.

I wanna take on the Battle Tree! That said, I'm assuming if I just throw in an UB, a Tapu, and go random on the third thing I should be fine for the first 10 or so battles right?

You can get it by breeding with the Island Scan Swinub. It isn't particularly hard.

Producer

I've had a few troopers stick it out to the last, but generally it seems that most people just quit when it's clearly hopeless.

I see, i can understand it. Theres no win-loss record anyways right?

It's even worse on Showdown, people sometimes quit out immediately if they don't like the team they're facing or have a bad turn 1.

Showdown is from that smogon website isnt it. I'm just starting to get into this stuff and been having fun so far

CrimsonN0

I really didn't think my Battle of Alola team through.
For some reason decided to make a Sandstorm team of pokemon I trained, but hadn't really used without thinking that pretty much everything is either weak to Earthquake or Flamethrower. Especially forgot to put in some kind of counter to Celesteela.

Also, just lost round 59 of Super Doubles in the Battle Tree because I wasn't thinking that Slowking was going for Trick Room.

I found Lillie card in Akihabara. Even more expensive than the second hand 2DS Light Blue. xD

6YTdm3s.jpg

ngQRWrr.jpg

I've had very few forfeits on me.
I got a number of DCs, but I can't tell if it's my Wifi crapping out or not.

DC would count as a loss for you. If the player does I believe it will show a win. I'm not certain and I know people did exploit this in previous games not to get a loss. I'm not sure how though.

Producer

I've had very few forfeits on me.
I got a number of DCs, but I can't tell if it's my Wifi crapping out or not.

I've been playing on free battle if it makes a difference, since i havent used/set up game sync yet. I should probably get on that since i cant play the other 3 modes

evanmisha

It is possible, but you have to use Smeargle.

Ninetales can legitimately get Freeze Dry because it can breed with Smeargle and there are Pokemon in Alola that learn Freeze Dry. So you just use Ditto to sketch it.

Smeargle -> Vulpix

edit: Nevermind, didn't see that Smeargle is also a parent lol

You can get it by breeding with the Island Scan Swinub. It isn't particularly hard.

Damn! Yeah, I was looking at Lapras which can not yet get Freeze-Dry as an egg move and assumed Ninetales couldn't either for some reason. Whoops! Thanks for the correction, though.

EDIT: AAHHHH Lapras can too! But it has to chain breed it from a Smeargle or Swinub to a Delibird. fml

Kyuur

Spenta bunch of time breeding sync Abrasive, finally got the one I wanted near the end (Jolly) -- leveled a bit and now chaining for a HA Sandshrew. Nice that Kamara learns Role Play too! DS started dying around 20 chains and I'm out of the house so I had to call it quits, but I have to say this method of getting 4 IVs and HA pokemon is far preferable to breeding and other shenanigans enjoyment - wise.

Zelias

Banned
Hm don't think I'm going to really have time to play more Battle of Alola this weekend between work and social stuff.

Oh well, at least I get the 50BP and it was fun. Got a few Pokes I'd like to raise now after seeing how effective they were against me.

Wiseblade

So, which is considered the best Tapu and Ultra Beast at the moment?
Best Tapu is kind of a toss-up. I first thought is to say Koko or Lele but Bulu is very good too.

For Ultra Beasts, Pheromosa and Celesteela would be the clear favourites. Moon really won over Sun in that department.

Does how many pokemon you have left affect the number of points you lose/gain on ranked battle? Wondered if that's why people forfeit.

Glad I practiced with these rules before the competition started to get used to the new stuff and singles format. Lost like half of my battles and changed my team around, and then ended up winning 13/15 battles in the actual competition. Hopefully I can keep it up today.

Forkball

There should really be a reverse search in GTS, where you search for Pokemon you already have and you can see what people are willing to offer for it. I'm curious what I could get for a Beldum.

Also I got a Marvel Scale Dratini in Wonder Trade. Gonna breed a few to see if I can get some other HA Pokemon.

Wiseblade

Got a HA Mareanie on Wonder Trade! I was worried WT would be less popular for breedject exchange now that it's tucked away in the Festival Plaza but it seems that's not the case.

Cerbero

My suffering has ended.

It started to struggle.

Gengar put it to sleep.

Caught it in a normal ass Pokeball because all of the other balls are ugly as shit (with the exception of Beast Balls and Premiere Balls).

Adamant nature.

Happiness.

this is why i just gen my stuff for competitive, i'm afraid to ask how much time it took.

Got a HA Mareanie on Wonder Trade! I was worried WT would be less popular for breedject exchange now that it's tucked away in the Festival Plaza but it seems that's not the case.
I've been getting lots of breedjects lately. Even managed to get an HA Gible...right after I went out of my way to chain it myself. :(

Will be breeding a ton of HA Gibles (beast balls), Geodudes (heavy balls) and Carvanha (dive/fast balls) soon.

Holy maccaroni, after something like 5 hours of hunting I finally managed to find AND catch a 4IV Shiny Ditto. Feels good, man.
And now I have to ask you a question: If I want to try to breed shiny pokémon out of him, the only easy way is the Masuda Method, right?

Holy maccaroni, after something like 5 hours of hunting I finally managed to find AND catch a 4IV Shiny Ditto. Feels good, man.
And now I have to ask you a question: If I want to try to breed shiny pokémon out of him, the only easy way is the Masuda Method, right?

Yes.

I have Sun in Chinese and Moon in English so I can trade and MM using my own mons : P

Top Bottom