• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha - December 16th-18th

shoreu

Shame - I do like the look of it, but the co-op looks way too deep to party up with randomers (I remember trying to do that with Crota's End and it did not turn out well).

you should really give LFG and clubs a chance maybe you can make some friends.

Neogaf has a Club and I'd start SoT_GAF when it comes out.

Wedzi

Banned
Something about this game really intrigues me. I really hope Rare is able to flesh it out with some story quests, loot, lore, etc.

Phox

Banned
1000!? Why do I even bother :(

The chest hunting is cool but you can't see what's in the chest only sell it for gold. I want sick loot!

Izuna

Banned
Then it's a pretty shit joke, junior.

What did you do this time?

I went to test something. But I've come up with a pretty serious error.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226253155&postcount=18779

If you see this post on light theme, you won't see the brighter box. On dark theme, the colour doesn't match so it isn't hidden.

But if you view that SAME image as a direct link, the colour will be correct.

------------------------------------------------

I really hope this game doesn't end up like Fable Legends.

Sydle

That video looks good but this game is really going to depend on getting a crew of people together and acting like a team as well as execution by the developer. It's a daunting task.

I sadly dunno if I'll play this much seeing as how my group of friends have very different schedules.

Around E3 Rare spoke about enabling solo adventurers to man a small ship, but don't expect to be able to take on big ships and crews on your own.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/14/s...-captain-your-pirate-ship-solo-but-at-a-cost/

I really hope this game doesn't end up like Fable Legends.

Well, at least Rare isn't using a well established IP that ends up being off putting to long-time series fans. They already learned from that mistake years ago.

I meant the tech test, not the game in general

g6kIUGq.png

It specifically says Xbox One Technical Alpha and only mentions Xbox One in the entire email.

Yeah I didn't get the email, I only registered on the site and confirmed my submission, my b. :p

Leflus

Well, at least Rare isn't using a well established IP that ends up being off putting to long-time series fans. They already learned from that mistake years ago.
Yeah. This is key.

Imagine the outrage if Sea of Thieves was the exact same game, but Banjo-themed. :p

I hope the game turns out well for Rare. I'm not a fan of the multiplayer angle, but the game still looks very much like what I would expect a Rare game to look like. Gives me hope for what's next after SoT.

Sydle

Yeah. This is key.

Imagine the outrage if Sea of Thieves was the exact same game, but Banjo-themed. :p

I hope the game turns out well for Rare. I'm not a fan of the multiplayer angle, but the game still looks very much like what I would expect a Rare game to look like. Gives me hope for what's next after SoT.

It would be ugly.

I still think experimenting with established IP is fine, but only when fans are satisfied with mainline entries. For example. I think people would have been fine with Banjo Nuts & Bolts and Fable Legends had there been traditional follow ups Banjo Threeie and Fable IV, respectively, in plain view.

In any case, don't want to derail this thread. I am so excited for SoT.

I'm really hoping to have a chance to test out the Alpha.
I've been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced.

Salty Hippo

Microsoft promoting the Gigantic beta today in the official Xbox Youtube channel (that has 2 million subscribers) and not a peep about Sea of Thieves.

Who is surprised?

Salty Hippo

Why would they promote a 1000 person alpha test instead of the game in open beta?

Because the alpha is from an IP and studio they own? This is the best Sea of Thieves gameplay released so far, it should reach as many people as possible. Who cares if the test is limited to 1000?

Synth

Because the alpha is from an IP and studio they own? This is the best Sea of Thieves gameplay released so far, it should reach as many people as possible. Who cares if the test is limited to 1000?

Come on now... Gigantic is open beta, it's being promoted like that in order to get people to participate. Gigantic had a closed beta before, that had little fanfare for the same reason. What's the point in telling millions of people that 1000 of them may possibly get to take part in something that already has far more than that showing interest already?....

They'll make sure everyone's aware of Sea of Thieves' beta when the time comes.

This is a really unreasonable gripe to be having.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Come on now... Gigantic is open beta, it's being promoted like that in order to get people to participate. Gigantic had a closed beta before, that had little fanfare for the same reason. What's the point in telling millions of people that 1000 of them may possibly get to take part in something that already has far more than that showing interest already?....

They'll make sure everyone's aware of Sea of Thieves' beta when the time comes.

This is a really unreasonable gripe to be having.

Exactly. Remember when they announced the very limited beta test for Fable Legends as an "exclusive" for 2014? That didn't work out that well. MS is doing it right this time with Sea of Thieves, IMO.

Synth

Exactly. Remember when they announced the very limited beta test for Fable Legends as an "exclusive" for 2014? That didn't work out that well. MS is doing it right this time with Sea of Thieves, IMO.

The Fable Legends stuff was infuriating. Took well over a year from when I earnestly signed up for it, to the point where I was actually able to try it out.

Which unfortunately was far longer than it remained alive for.

Izuna

Banned

Well, the Alpha test could have issues and cause people to dislike the game.

I mean, Respawn did exactly that.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
How is the sea in a pirate game not interactive?

In the videos they show when you swim the water don't have physics and the same for the impacts of the cannons in the water.Is a very nice looking water but not interactive like kameo for example

Bsigg12

I wonder if they'll launch this in Game Preview next year. It was mentioned in the Insider Program sign up and I think it makes a lot of sense.

JonnyKong

No invite for me :( I knew I didn't stand a chance when I said a) I liked playing alone and b) I picked the peak times to play.

Nintendad

A lot of people say it was in their spam folders. I managed to get in which is exciting. You can go to your Xbox insider app on the Xbox one and it would be in there ready to download. I'm pretty sure it's under NDA so I won't say anything else.

8bit

Knows the Score
If I were in the alpha, I might possibly mention how much fun I theoretically had. Just if I were. Which I doubt I could, as I would assume I would be covered by an NDA and would be unable to do so.

If I were in the alpha, I might possibly mention how much fun I theoretically had. Just if I were. Which I doubt I could, as I would assume I would be covered by an NDA and would be unable to do so.

thanks for the hypothetical impressions if you were to be a part of the alpha.

not that you are ;)

Izuna

Banned
Based on community feedback, and some of the great stories we’ve seen so far we’ve decided to allow players who played in the Technical Alpha to share their stories and thoughts on the sessions with the rest of the community. So if you’re excited to tell people how it went, please feel free to share your stories on the Insiders section of our Forums. We ask that these are the only places your share those stories.

We are still holding the NDA in place in terms of screenshots, videos & streams, but we’re happy for players to discuss what happened in their sessions with the rest of the community.

fyi

Followup! Just got this email:

Greetings Insiders!

Last weekend we invited 1,000 Insiders to play Sea of Thieves for the first time. Across three play sessions there was treasure and treachery as 5.3% of the cashed in chests were stolen from another crew! But it wasn’t all pilfering and plundering, pirates spent 111 hours entertaining their crew with musical instruments. We also saw some Sea of Thieves firsts! Check out these brave pioneers:
• First player to find treasure: GamingLikeASir, taking 4min 52sec and earning 943 Gold!
• First player to kill another player: xCSx VikiSuerte
• First player to use a Mermaid: BinaryKitten
Based on community feedback, and some of the great stories we’ve seen so far we’ve decided to allow players who played in the Technical Alpha to share their stories and thoughts on the sessions with the rest of the community. So if you’re excited to tell people how it went, please feel free to share your stories on the Insiders section of our Forums. We ask that these are the only places your share those stories.

We are still holding the NDA in place in terms of screenshots, videos & streams, but we’re happy for players to discuss what happened in their sessions with the rest of the community. For reporting bugs & direct feedback, please continue to report these in the Technical Alpha section of the Sea Of Thieves Forums. Thanks for playing, and being so respectful of the NDA so far!

Any Gaffers lucky enough to get in willing to chime in? Or was 8bit just teasin'?

They are having another Technical Alpha this weekend and invites are being sent out later this week, so keep your peepers peeled on your inbox.

I've even been posting on the official forums a bit more to see if that increases my chances, lol

Simo

They are having another Technical Alpha this weekend and invites are being sent out later this week, so keep your peepers peeled on your inbox.

I've even been posting on the official forums a bit more to see if that increases my chances, lol

Yeah just got the email. Invites are going out tomorrow!

Jumeira

Banned

is there any impression available? I'm frothing at the mouth in anticipation

Hardvlade

Did they confirm if previous testers automatically get into the next one?

8bit

Knows the Score
Did they confirm if previous testers automatically get into the next one?

Here are some random letters that I pulled out of a scrabble bag which form words.

That means those of you who were invited last time can join in with this weekend's shenanigans.

Top Bottom