• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have to play Witcher 1 & 2 to enjoy 3?

Nottle

You aren't.

I enjoyed it as well haha.
I've played a very tiny amount of 1, meaning only the tutorial. But I like its timing based attacking. And I assume I'll have to make some cool potions. I'm going to play it like an old crpg with the camera way zoomed out. I plan on having some fun with it.

Nerazar

I've completed W2 right before playing W3 which made the whole experience even more amazing. You're also getting some story connections from W2 which do influence certain parts of W3. That's always more immersive than just randomizing it or ticking off lists.

ffvorax

You can play 3 without the past games, but I would suggest to play TW1, it's a really great game.

I understand your bad hopinion on 2, I didn't liked too, but I wanted to have all the story before playing TW3

Artdayne

Witcher 1 is so underrated on this forum. That game is fucking fantastic and shouldn't be skipped.

Completely agree, it's my second favorite Witcher game. I'll always recommend playing all three Witcher games if you have the time. I can see why people are turned off from the beginning of Witcher 2 though because the combat is a mess in the early parts of the game, it improves quite a bit mid way through once you get some core skills.

This is probably a good time to bring up how much my mind was blown recently when a friend of mine informed me that The Witcher 3 is Yennifer's first video game appearance. From the in-game book summaries and their banter about past exploits I simply assumed most of that was stuff I'd missed out on from skipping the previous games. That seems to be the case with a lot of characters introduced in TW3.

That's not to say that there aren't a few mainstay characters of the series or events getting referenced from previous games/novels, but considering how the game treats even new content as having a long storied history with Geralt, you'll inevitably feel like you're missing out on something despite it being made specifically for TW3.

This isn't a post to say you shouldn't go back and play the first two games, but more to say to not sweat it if you did decide to jump straight into TW3. I'm still cooking through the game 70 hours in and I have a good gist of the history, and this is my first Witcher game. Just treat the game as if it's the first in a series, but everything is in medias res. So long as you pay attention to the lore drops, skim through the numerous books in the game and read some of the bios you should be able to follow everything fine.

Artdayne

This is probably a good time to bring up how much my mind was blown recently when a friend of mine informed me that The Witcher 3 is Yennifer's first video game appearance. From the in-game book summaries and their banter about past exploits I simply assumed most of that was stuff I'd missed out on from skipping the previous games. That seems to be the case with a lot of characters introduced in TW3.

That's not to say that there aren't a few mainstay characters of the series or events getting referenced from previous games/novels, but considering how the game treats even new content as having a long storied history with Geralt, you'll inevitably feel like you're missing out on something despite it being made specifically for TW3.

This isn't a post to say you shouldn't go back and play the first two games, but more to say to not sweat it if you did decide to jump straight into TW3. I'm still cooking through the game 70 hours in and I have a good gist of the history, and this is my first Witcher game. Just treat the game as if it's the first in a series, but everything is in medias res. So long as you pay attention to the lore drops, skim through the numerous books in the game and read some of the bios you should be able to follow everything fine.

Triss, Vernon Roche, Ves, Vesemir, Eskel, Lambert, Dandelion, Zolton, Phillipa Eilhart, Sheala de Tancarville, Letho of Gulet, and Shani.
I believe that covers all the characters in Witcher 3 that were in Witcher 1 and/or 2.

Adryuu

It's obviously a sequel to both, so it helps, but the books are a much better point of entry imo. I was very glad that TW3 acknowledged a lot of things in the books that the other two didn't. Also, as good as TW3 is and how well written their stories are, the books have always been much better.

Short answer: No, you absolutely do not need to play Witcher 1 or 2 to get into Witcher 3. I only played 2 beforehand and I had trouble following along on a lot of things, but Witcher 3 is still pretty easy to get into, plus the codex helps.

If you're that worried about it, read a synopsis or watch a Let's Play or something.

gbland

Didn't play 1 and 2. Enjoyed the shit out of 3. Still my favorite game this gen. Trust me, you'll enjoy it too.

Falchion

Nope, can go in blind like most of us probably did. There are some really good YouTube videos that catch you up on the story so far though.

m00h

Banned
Never played 1 or 2, and Witcher 3 is one of the best games I have ever played.

I just finished the game several weeks ago, with the both expansions, and actually think about playing Witcher 2 just to get back to that universe. It's sad that Witcher 3 is actually over for me, since it became part of my life for the last few months. I'm not so sure I can enjoiy Witcher 2 after such a great game that Witcher 3 was.

I went in totally oblivious what happened in the first 2. Though you may be like me and get to a certain point and want to know what happened. There are some excellent write ups on the previous story plots on kotaku I believe that can fill in the blanks for you.

Sillverrr

I HAVE played Witcher 2, but not the third installment yet. With that in mind, I think you should absolutely play the 2nd one - it's soooooo good. It's like a grimdark version of Dragon Age, only with better characters, world, monsters: everything basically.

The only reason I haven't started the third game is down to personal issues; it's 100% the game I would play next if I could find the time. My history with the series is a Youtube recap of the first game, plus an extensive playthrough of the second one on PC. I have not read the novels, yet my love was cemented by that single game I've played through.

TLDR; by all accounts, they've designed the third game so you can jump right in, but when the Witcher 2 holds up as well as it does, why would you skip out on another stellar experience in its own right?

Cronen

I played Witcher 3 without having touched the previous two. It is without a doubt one of my favourite games of all time. I now plan on going back and playing the previous ones (when I get a bit of free time) and I have already started reading the books.

You should play all 2 but considering the first's gameplay hasnt aged well, I'd recommend reading about it and playing the second. Its what I did, but in my case when the first Witcher came, I wasnt a fan at all. Gave up half way through. Witcher 2 changed things for me, and its one of my top games of all time besides Witcher 3.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I didn't and still loved TW3. It does a very good job of letting you know who/what is important without drowning you in exposition.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No.

I loved Witcher 3 and have never played the first two nor read the books.

I've heard a couple people that normally don't like that style of game that even love it and enjoy the story, so I am sure you can jump right on in and have a ball!

Nope you definitely don't although maybe a video summary would be nice. It definitely gives you a nice overview of what's important although the callbacks obviously have no effect.

jryeje29

It helps but is definitely not necessary and I would recommend anyone in the same situation to try them if you have them but if you don't then just go ahead and play 3. I personally couldn't get into 1 because of the controls but I was perfectly fine with 2 and quite enjoyed it. You can find most info you need by just reading a game summary or similar video.

sublimit

Banned
I'd suggest you at least watch Lets Plays from 1&2. For 2 specifically it would be even better to watch 2 Lts Plays that each follow the 2 different story branches.
ChristopherOdd has the best Witcher 1&2 Lets Plays imo.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj_Goi54wf0f2NXPeIvJqtLBSG9_nBTMM
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj_Goi54wf0fCfQc-w8rgj2hUaHNOtopX

it's not necessary by any means to experience the first two games but i think they will give you a much better understanding of the Witcher world and its characters.And i think you will appreciate TW3 even more.

Nzyme32

I'd say it is certainly more fun to do so - particularly so if you are playing on PC since your save files can carry over into 3.

W1 is probably one you could skip over if you either watch a video or really pay attention to the backstory and intro stuff in W2 (particularly since W1 has the god awful swamp section which makes the game suddenly tedious and annoying).

So yeah I say W1 quick video recap / straight into W2. Carry over the save into W3

LiK

Witcher 2's combat is actually the worst one in the trilogy too. I'm glad 3 brought back elements from the first game.

For me, I never played 1 or 2 prior to playing 3. Before I jumped into 3, I watched the cutscenes of 2 to catch up on the story and I must admit that it was an enjoyable experience. I doubt I would have enjoyed Wither 3 as much as I did had I not gotten myself familiar with the story and characters.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Play Witcher 2. The choices will follow you, and it's really enjoyable. Witcher 1 might feel way outdated.

antitrop

Witcher 1 was PC exclusive and Witcher 2 had a delayed console release on 360 only, so CDPR intentionally tried to make Witcher 3 as welcoming to newcomers as possible.

Dinjoralo

Witcher 1, nah. Witcher 2, maybe. The setting and events in the Witcher 3 make a lot more sense if you at least know what happens in the second game.

bradido

Not really. I played maybe 10 hours of 2 and am absolutely loving 3. I did watch the re-cap of 1&2 on YouTube though. Knowing who the characters are and their relationships will increase your enjoyment (and reduce your confusion) of Witcher 3.

I would say what affects your enjoyment is understanding the paradigm of The Witcher combat. You really need to research monsters. You really need to use the right potions & oils. I didn't do that in Witcher 2 and as a result didn't like it that much.

Nope. Couldn't get myself to enjoy the first two, so I never played beyond two hours of them. Still, played over 100 hours of TW3, enjoyed it a lot.
You probably would enjoy it more after playing the first two, but I don't think it's mandatory.

vocab

3 is pretty much a direct sequel, and theres constant references to both 1 and 2. I know people who went back and finished 1 after 3 and it enhanced their enjoyment.

You need to at least play 2. Its a good game in its own right. Its short too, so no reason not to.

Witcher 1 is rough and flawed, but enjoyable if you like crpgs.

I really do feel like the game assumes a ton of knowledge about the universe. I did not play 1 or 2, and when I started in 3 the game introduced characters as if I already knew who they were.

hydruxo

Not at all. I never played the first two and TW3 is one of my all time favorite games. They do a good job of making it feel like a new story. Granted, some of the intricacies of the characters was kind of lost on me at first but eventually you kind of start get a hold on who's who and what their relationships with each other are.

You don't have to but I think it's a good idea to play them if you can.

Both Witcher 1 and 2 feature stories far superior to the main story of Witcher 3.

Top Bottom