• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought an RX 480, my 1st AMD card. Need help!

Kssio_Aug

Edit:

Okay guys, sorry about upping this thread again, but I'm still worried, and I need some help.

Just checked with Doom metric the frame-rate and noticed my GPU usage is totally red, like this:
nbEvKb6.jpg
(it's not my picture, but it's exactly like this - I uninstalled Doom and can't take another screenshot right now - am resintalling the game)

This is VERY strange. But I'm not sure if this is a bug.

I've found however this thread on Steam, and it seems the guy had the exact same issue.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/142260718947573343/

He did use DDU to remove the drivers, reinstalled it, and it seems the problem was solved for him (and his performance went from 60 to 130 fps).

Problem is that I've already unninstalled all drivers with DDU and installed it again. I don't know what to do, but this is strange as fuck... =/

Someone has any idea of what should I try?

--

Hi, my RX 480 just arrived. I've installed, and apparently everything is working as it should.

Previously I had an GTX 570. Made some tests before buying the card, and my results using the demonstrations from Dishonored 2, Mafia 3 and Doom, were more or less like this:

GTX 570:
- Dishonroed 2: 900p, very low to mid settings, generally at 25-30 fps.
- Mafia 3: 900p - low to mid settings, generally at 25-30 fps.
- Doom: 900p - mid to high settings, 30fps with some spikes to 40~50.

RX 480:
- Dishonored 2: 1080p, highest settings, 30~40fps.
- Mafia 3: 10809, highest settings, 30~40 fps.
- Doom: 10809 - max settings, 45~55 fps.

Mafia 3 and Dishonored 2 are considered very bad ports though. In Doom case I heard it works better with Vulkan, but when I activate it in the demo, it crashes. I'm pretty sure my CPU causes some bottleneck (i5 2500 stock) but that's an upgrade for another time.

It's kinda hard to express how thr GTX 570 was running things cause it was spiking to a higher and lower fps than the ones I mentioned all the time. But the experience wasn't very playable, besides pretty decent for a 5 years old card. The RX 480 is performing much better and more stable, and definitely seems to open a door to pretty much any game this generation.

However, I'm not really sure if the card is totally ready, and here's where I need some help:

I've downloaded the driver from AMD support page. It was the Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.4. After it installed, it opened an Radeon Configuration interface and asked if I should install the ReLive.

1) Should I install the ReLive tool? What's it for exactly?
2) When installig the driver it had 2 options: "17.4.4" and "17.5.2 (optional)". Should I install this more recent "optional" version? What does it mean?
3) As I said before, Doom demo is crashing when I try to play it using Vulkan API option. Is there any solution for that? Is that a known issue?
4) Is there something else I should know / download / update?

This is my driver information:

And one last thing:
5) Is it possible to run 4k resolution with a Full HD TV? Is it possible to downscale?

I think it's basically this. I just need to be sure if everyting is right.

I'm not sure its necessary, but have you removed the old nvidia drivers yet?

1. Relive is basically AMD's version of shadowplay
2. I'm actually futzing around with AMDs drivers atm, RL was giving me problems with the newest drivers, but I had no trouble on other games with 17.4.4 or 17.5.2
3. unsure
4. MSI afterburner & RTSS if you haven't already
5. I want to say you can do this in the AMD settings app but I've never tried it myself

RS4-

If it makes you feel better, had you bought an nvidia card, drivers have been fucking nonsense for a year+ now.

Did you use DDU to get rid of the nvidia stuff yet? Try previous drivers and see how performance is.

Kssio_Aug

I'm not sure its necessary, but have you removed the old nvidia drivers yet?

1. Relive is basically AMD's version of shadowplay
2. I'm actually futzing around with AMDs drivers atm, RL was giving me problems with the newest drivers, but I had no trouble on other games with 17.4.4 or 17.5.2
3. unsure
4. MSI afterburner & RTSS if you haven't already
5. I want to say you can do this in the AMD settings app but I've never tried it myself

Thanks. I'll install ReLive. May install the latest driver too (besides being not sure what "optional" in this case means).

I've found how to go to 1440p and 4k resolution in the AMD settings. Thanks! =)

You don't need vulkan. You should be getting way more than 45-55 fps regardless.

What cpu and ram do you have?

i5 2500 @3.3ghz. 8GB Ram.

Robaperas

1. ReLive is for recording/streaming, install it if you're into recording gameplay.
2. Use DDU before installing new drivers; the optional drivers are non-WHQL or unsigned, I always install those, even if they are in "beta" state, but they always seem to work.
3. I had the Doom crashing when rebooting into Vulkan on my RX 470, I don't remember how I fixed it, I think I just updated the drivers.
4. You can set different options for every game inside the gaming tab, force AA, limit framerate, etc.
5. You can, just enable VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) in the display tab, I think it doesn't work for every game, I remember playing Dragon's Dogma @1440p on my 1080p monitor.

Locuza

[...]
1) Should I install the ReLive tool? What's it for exactly?
2) When installig the driver it had 2 options: "17.4.4" and "17.5.2 (optional)". Should I install this more recent "optional" version? What does it mean?
3) As I said before, Doom demo is crashing when I try to play it using Vulkan API option. Is there any solution for that? Is that a known issue?
4) Is there something else I should know / download / update?

This is my driver information:

And one last thing:
5) Is it possible to run 4k resolution with a Full HD TV? Is it possible to downscale?

I think it's basically this. I just need to be sure if everyting is right.
1.) It's a software module for the driver where you can record your gameplay in the background or simply stream it on twitch for example.
Like Nvidia's Shadowplay.
Install it if you need it or like to try it out.

2.) Optional is probably the newest beta driver and 17.4.4 the one with an WHQL certificate.
In general you can always install the newest driver version, beta or WHQL doesn't matter at all in the practise.

3.) The Doom demo might use an old build version, so the real game should run better, if that's the case.

4.) Maybe some general information about VSR (downsampling), Wattman which let's you tweak the clockrate and voltage of your GPU, which helps you to over- or underclock for better performance or more efficiency and quieter fans.
Knowing about ReLive.
There is a useless chill feature which tries to hit a certain frame target and adjust the clockrates dynamicly, something for efficiency but it only works for a few titles.

5.) Yes it is, Virtual Super Resolution (VSR) let's you downsample from 4K to 1080p.

Finalizer

Personal experience is that ReLive is pretty crap at the moment. Can't tell the software which monitor to record off of, so it'll have trouble deciding whether to record the game or get some useless chrome footage. Also seems to have trouble detecting whether a game is running or not, so I've had to leave it on "record desktop" mode just to make sure it's always recording something. It's just not in a good place yet in my experience.

I'm currently using PlaysTV software for recording, which is what used to be packaged with the drivers for recording. Consistently & reliably detects when a game is running, records properly, not much to complain about at this point.

For the Doom crashing issue, pretty sure it's due to the game thinking you still have an NV GPU. Try deleting the config files.

Also, AMD beta drivers are fine as Locuza stated. If you want to play Nier Automata you'll need 17.5.2 anyway.

Personal experience is that ReLive is pretty crap at the moment. Can't tell the software which monitor to record off of, so it'll have trouble deciding whether to record the game or get some useless chrome footage. Also seems to have trouble detecting whether a game is running or not, so I've had to leave it on "record desktop" mode just to make sure it's always recording something. It's just not in a good place yet in my experience.

I've heard relive doesn't do a great job on the quality end either.

I just ended up using the AMD hardware encoder in OBS, which works great if you're using it to record stuff like OW highlights or RL replays. If you want it to work like shadowplay, you'll need to do some extra work in OBS to set that up.

SRTtoZ

Like most have already said, make sure you do a full clean driver install and then try again. That's sort of a big deal when going from one video card manufacture driver to another. Remember even if you want to use max/high settings, don't overdo the AA if the card can't handle it, certain AA levels can really cripple performance but I'm pretty sure Doom should have no issues running @1080p/60fps high/max settings.

Kssio_Aug

I would remove all display drivers and reinstall latest from AMD. From my experience going from nVidia to AMD or AMD to nVidia causes a lot of problems.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Use this to uninstall all previous graphics card drivers.

I've unninstalled everything related to Nvidia in that native option from Windows 10 at the control panel. Will download it, could be the case!

Kssio_Aug

I've used DDU to clean my drivers. It recommended me to start in safe mode, which I accepted, it restarted the computer. Than it detected some drivers (apparently there was something from Nvidia and my AMD drivers) and I pressed the option to start cleaning.

Than the PC restarted and I reinstalled the AMD drivers again, but this time I went with the 17.5.2 driver option in the AMD support site.

It didn't change the performance in Doom demo though. =/

I've erased all the data it saved (including the configuration files) but nothing changed. And is it still crashing when I choose the Vulkan option.

Could it be a bad optimization from the demo version?

--

Edit:

I ran the DDU again, and I'm not sure if that's exactly what it means. But it detected the GTX 570 driver again?
In "Selected graphics driver" do I need to select Nvidia?

zekMYPT.png

Kssio_Aug

I think there is still some Nvidia stuff on there. Try removing it with DDU.

Yeah, there was indeed. I was able to remove it with DDU now, as well as the AMD drivers once more, and reinstalled the latetest AMD driver again. Now DDU is not showing anything related to Nvidia in the log screen.

Just played Forza Horizon 3 demo though, and the performance was pretty great if it didn't receive the same update from the full game. The demo is in the version 1.0.40. I was capable of running it at 50~60fps almost the entire time, with very few drops. I heard the game was horribly optimized, so I guess that's pretty decent.

I know Mafia 3 and Dishonored 2 didn't perform as they should either, but since they're also demos (which may not receive any update) and considered really bad ports, I think they're performing correctly. Saw some benchmarks of these games and it was pretty bad.

The one however that is making my head itch is Doom. I still can't make it run if I select Vulkan, the game straight up crashes. I beleive the demo may not be well optimized, but with Vulkan I should be able to see better results, but I can't make it work. =/

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't use the Mafia III demo as a benchmark, it ran absolutely horrifically for me, couldn't get anywhere near 60fps with a GTX 970, it didn't receive the performance patch AFAIK (which seems to be a trend and it boggles the mind, why wouldn't you update the demo, it's what I base my purchase decision on).

It sounds like you got your card working properly using DDU though so that's good.

Kssio_Aug

Maybe try the heaven benchmark but i am not sure if that one is CPU independend.

Yeah, I thought about doing some proper benchmark. Do Crysis 2 features a benchmark tool? I have the game... maybe I could run it and see a benchmark result of the same card on youtube.

I wouldn't use the Mafia III demo as a benchmark, it ran absolutely horrifically for me, couldn't get anywhere near 60fps with a GTX 970, it didn't receive the performance patch AFAIK (which seems to be a trend and it boggles the mind, why wouldn't you update the demo, it's what I base my purchase decision on).

It sounds like you got your card working properly using DDU though so that's good.

Yeah, I believe the card may be working properly giving FH3 results. But Doom still boggles my mind giving how well it should be performing (at least in the full version).

Kssio_Aug

Okay guys, sorry about upping this thread again, but I'm still a bit worried.

Just checked with Doom metric the frame-rate and noticed my GPU usage is totally red, like this:
(it's not my picture, but it's exactly like this - I uninstalled Doom and can't take another screenshot right now - am resintalling the game)

This is VERY strange. But I'm not sure if this is a bug.

I've found however this thread on Steam, and it seems the guy had the exact same issue I'm having.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/142260718947573343/

He did use DDU to remove the drivers, reinstalled it, and it seems the problem was solved for him (and his performance went from 60 to 130 fps). He was also having issue with Vulkan and it started working for him after that.

Problem is that I've already unninstalled all drivers with DDU and installed it again. I don't know what to do, but this is strange as fuck... =/

Someone has any idea of what should I try?

Guess Who

Banned
I've been having the same issues with the DOOM demo crashing with Vulkan. I think an AMD driver update fucked it or something. I've heard the full game doesn't have this issue, though.

Kssio_Aug

I've been having the same issues with the DOOM demo crashing with Vulkan. I think an AMD driver update fucked it or something. I've heard the full game doesn't have this issue, though.

This red metric indication in your GPU was happening to you as well? And you were having some kind of performance issue compared to others?

Top Bottom