• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're somehow able to visit ONE JRPG town for a week. Which would you choose & why?

Halure in Tales of Vesperia because pretty

TO_Vesperia_s4_695w.jpg

justjohn

I'm sure if midgar was an actual city in real life it'd be called a ghetto or a slum and nobody would actually want to go there.

Put it in a movie or a game and it suddenly becomes hip.

To answer the question though, my city would be cocoon in ffxiii. Love those really epic futuristic looking cities.

Squire

Banned
I would probably be happy with any town from FFX, but I'll pick Luca.

It's sunny, it's on the sea, it's typically safe (or so the game says) and I can go see the stadium!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Why do jrpg towns elicit the most nostalgia? I think its mainly Japanese artistic style is so strong in all their work, moreso than Western stuff most of the time.

Besides Luca (FFX) and Balamb Garden (FFVIII) that were already pictured:

South Cape (Illusion of Gaia) always made me want to actually live there. The game gives such vivid descriptions of the town, the climate and the atmosphere around it that I could imagine being there pretty easy.

Obligatory 16-bit picture of said town:

South-Cape.png

Chunky

Shibuya, as of The world ends with you, it's my only chance of ever being trendy :(

Or maybe Twilight Town from Kingdom Hearts 2.
Watching the train meander by, eating sea salt ice cream on the clock tower, have an existential crisis when I realise I'm just some simulation for Christopher Lee and a little blonde girl. Would be ace.

trinest

One Week?

Looks like I'm off to Shibuya.

(if people don't really count The World Ends with You as a JRPG then well. WAHAHA).

-PXG-

Zanarkand, before shit got all fucked up by Sin.

That place looked like it was bumpin, all day, erry day. Fire works, lights and tons of beautiful women. Plus, getting drunk at a Blitzball game? HELL YEAH!!!

OH, or Queens from Dark Cloud

1-3588ffdc357.jpg

Kind of hard to get a good picture of it. After everything was back to normal, I bet it could be a romantic, Mediterranean-esque sea town. I'd chill with Ruby (sexy magic girl) and live it up with the mayor of the city. Use his car for joyrides.

Anyway, my answer is Esthar from FFVIII. I like futuristic utopias and this was one of 'em.

Esthar_streets.jpg

Ragnarok_2.jpg

EDIT: Man, I love the angle/perspective in the above shot. And it gives you a sense of scale of the Ragnarok ... that thing is huge.

I remember Esthar leaving such a huge impression on me when I first got to it in the game. Say what you will about FFVIII's story or battle system, but it has a beautiful world with amazing destinations. (And music.)

Ravage

Winhill from FF8. It seems like a really nice place to relax for a week.

350px-Winhill_6.jpg

Actually, i would love to visit any of the towns in FF8. Fisherman's Horizon, Dollet, Timber, Deling City, Esthar and of course, Balamb Garden. FFVIII still has the best town designs i've seen to date.

edit: i can't believe i forgot about Rabanastre from FF12.

Tellaerin

Cannot choose WRPG?

Could always make a separate thread for that.

As for the OP, it's a tough call, but I'm inclined to say Zanarkand at its height in FF X. We only got to see the place for a few minutes, but something about the atmosphere always struck a chord with me. I'd love to just wander around and take in the sights, experience life in this big city that seems both familiar and exotic.

Squire

Banned
Zanarkand, before shit got all fucked up by Sin.

That place looked like it was bumpin, all day, erry day. Fire works, lights and tons of beautiful women. Plus, getting drunk at a Blitzball game? HELL YEAH!!!

I like the way you think.

sixghost

Lindblum and Treno are almost the entire reason I played the first couple discs of FF9 so many times.

Since Lindblum's already been mentioned
trenocity.jpg

This place was bad ass. The card minigame tournament was there, there was this armor shop that had monsters you could fight for prizes, and the auction house was there.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cant be Midgar, I bet it smells terrible in there.

My first thought was Zeal Kingdom in its prime, before, you know, stuff happens.

Some of those Final Fantasy VII, IX and X choices though ... damn. So nice.

Montresor

Fudge, I haven't played many JRPGs. Can I say Windfall Island from Wind Waker? It's a Japanese action role playing game. =p

350px-Windfall_Island.jpg

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Celadon City - For the sole purpose of fighting against Queen Erika, and taking her out for a romantic dinner.
Also, visiting Celadon University, and harassing Bill about his thesis based on Viridian Forest.

400px-Pokemon_FRLG_CeladonCity.png

Cheska

Why did I know this was going to be an FF-fest?

I'll go with Baroque from Eternal Sonata. Such a beautiful city.
EternalSonata_Chapter4.png

Elegy of the Moon is nice too, although kinda creepy, being inhabited by spirits and such.
ElegyoftheMoon.jpg

You know what, I was going to post something different but I had completely forgotten how pretty that city was!

Rumbelow

Neo Member
U7tbm.jpg

Reverence, the Picture Book Village from Baten Kaitos. Ridiculously colorful, and all the NPCs go on tangents so it's like perpetual storytime.

Golden Saucer.

If I'm going to go insane from people repeating the same one line over and over again, I might as well go ride some chocobo's for money while I do it

Top Bottom