• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Wars: Future Past |OT| its not Disgaea

Ryuukan

CkITIOY.png

Developer: Kadokawa Games
Publisher: NIS America

Release dates:
  • Japan: June 22, 2017
  • NA: June 20, 2017
  • EU: June 16, 2017
Platforms: PS4 and PS Vita

Intro: A cup noodle full of dried Japanese folklore that Kadokawa poured hot anime water into and waited 3 years to serve.

Story: People ignored the old spirits once they had farming tools so the spirits got mad and now people had to be sacrificed to appease them. Princess Kaguya begins her quest with her childhood friend, Kintaro by breaking out of human sacrifice prison to find a better solution than killing people to stop earthquakes.

Characters:

just study this shit

How to play:

This plays like your typical Japanese SRPG title. It has a strong Final Fantasy Tactics feel in its job system and mechanics. It's nothing like the hellpit complexity of Disgaea.

system-battle-view-image-pc_eng.jpg

FAQ:
Does this have dual audio? I start twitter wars over this
Yes, there is dual audio.

Doesn't Kadokawa make some awful games? Why would I buy this
This is undeniably true. However, this game plays nothing like the abysmally awful Natural Doctrine. It was also delayed many times to make it better. Surely the director of the game, Yoshimi Yasuda, the former president of Tecmo who drove Itagaki & Team Ninja into the ground, is a man you can trust.

I do like the art, where have I seen this stuff before...
Character Designer is Mino Taro, famous for the Love Plus series and various VNs
Art Director/Monster Designer is Sawaki Takeyasu, who has worked on Devil May Cry and Okami

Wow your OT is terrible
I am a humble man

Videos & links:
God Wars official site
Various trailers

I think your OT is just swell!

Probably not so much in my wheelhouse (I bounced off of FFT: War of the Lions) but curious to see impressions.

The game is incredibly cheap on Amazon and Walmart if you choose in-store pickup.

The reviews seem positive towards the game if you like tactical turn based role-playing games. Kind of wish I had Amazon Prime or a Walmart near me.

Avallon

The game is incredibly cheap on Amazon and Walmart if you choose in-store pickup.

The reviews seem positive towards the game if you like tactical turn based role-playing games. Kind of wish I had Amazon Prime or a Walmart near me.

Amazon screwed me on the pre-order. They're telling me the game is not in-stock, regardless of the fact that I pre-ordered. They gave me $5 bucks as an apology.

I'll probably buy it at GameStop so I can play it, and then whenever the Amazon copy actually arrives, return that to GameStop.

Since it's cheap at Amazon I bought a PS4 copy aswell. I thought the PS Vita version is a bit too clunky with some technical issues. I don't expect buttery smooth Fire Emblem framerates, but it should run a bit better. I'm really sensitive to that stuff, though. It's probably not an issue for others.

Ryuukan

Since it's cheap at Amazon I bought a PS4 copy aswell. I thought the PS Vita version is a bit too clunky with some technical issues. I don't expect buttery smooth Fire Emblem framerates, but it should run a bit better. I'm really sensitive to that stuff, though. It's probably not an issue for others.

fyi it seems there is no cross-save feature

Nice OP.

Opposite over here, Vita version was 32 quid versus 40 quid for PS4 version. Awaiting my Vita copy arriving. Could do with a nice SRPG on my Vita, looking forward to it. Hopefully it's good.

JPS Kai

It seems bland to say at least. I'm waiting for some impressions from gaffers.

I'm about 30 hours in and among the top 5%'r of reviewers according to trophies, so maybe that means something.

It is still fairly bland. I wished there was more incentive that max out a class but so far only Sakuya gets a perk that increases her stats based on how many jobs she's gotten to level 10. No spells or abilities carry over when you switch classes, only passive abilities.

A lot of classes have redundant abilities but it's good to have everyone stick to the basics early on. Taking a subclass in Priest will unlock Proficiency+ and give 10/25/50% extra job points depending on the rank. Another mid-tier spellcaster unlocks the same for EXP.

The combat does get a little bit deeper with God/Secret skills and is beginning to bring back memories of Jeanne d'Arc.

Poppy

i bought this because it was cheap and i like japanese folklore and thought final fantasy tactics was okay so maybe i will like it idk

still preparing for shipment for me so i guess i will update in a week or so

zenspider

Just fired this up...

If you set voice to Japanese there's no subtitles for the cutscenes? That's so ratchet.

Anybody know if there's a theater mode so I can skip these and watch them later?

Skulldead

I'm about 30 hours in and among the top 5%'r of reviewers according to trophies, so maybe that means something.

It is still fairly bland. I wished there was more incentive that max out a class but so far only Sakuya gets a perk that increases her stats based on how many jobs she's gotten to level 10. No spells or abilities carry over when you switch classes, only passive abilities.

A lot of classes have redundant abilities but it's good to have everyone stick to the basics early on. Taking a subclass in Priest will unlock Proficiency+ and give 10/25/50% extra job points depending on the rank. Another mid-tier spellcaster unlocks the same for EXP.

The combat does get a little bit deeper with God/Secret skills and is beginning to bring back memories of Jeanne d'Arc.

Does the game is somewhat challenging ?

JPS Kai

This sounds good, thanks for the reply. Have you finished it at 30 hours ?

Nope, chilling around Chapter 3 at the moment.

In terms of difficulty, using spellcasters is the way to go if you want to have an easy time. Spells 100% hit (I think there might be a skill for magic evasion) and always hit for what they say they will, unlike weapons that have a range around what they say. There is a Death spell that has about a 60% chance to hit that I used for a lot of encounters.

Damage is a little on the high side. Even with 400 HP, it's not uncommon to have someone take 80-150 damage per hit. Most classes have some sort of heal which is nice.

You gain EXP/Job points at a fast rate when attacking, using a skill, or even items.

Oh, and every map has hidden treasures that you'll need to search certain spots to find. Most are consumables but I've found some really good gear that way. There is an item that can illuminate hidden spots in a three square radius.

Ryuukan

Wait really? Anybody have any opinions on the English dub?

the dub is pretty awful imo, like random people pulled aside to record at an anime con level

the game has yet to be released in japan so I would expect this to get patched soon

edit: see my next post

zenspider

Wait really? Anybody have any opinions on the English dub?

Godawful. I'm not a fan of English VO in general, but coming off of Fire Emblem Echoes it's just horrible. Princess Kayuga (sp?) was decent, but Kintaro and all the minor characters were rough. Even the mixing and mastering is also the place - one of Kuma's growls almost blew out my speaker!

I'll use context clues for the cutscenes cuz I'm never going back! Game's pretty fun so far though. Reminds me a lot of Jeanne D'Arc.

bryehn

So (assuming I like most SRPGs), is it good?

Looks a little simplistic, is it easy as hell like Joan of Arc or more in line with FFT/Ogre Battle?

After a bit of time with the game, I LOVE the aesthetic of it all, characters are designed well, Kintaro's portrait ALWAYS thumbing his nose is annoying, the English voices are serving Saturday morning 4KIDS anime dub and Im kinda digging it, the Vita physical version has some annoying loads. Nothing too annoying but when other Vita SRPGs have had minimal load times it's noticeable.
Gameplay feels like FF Tactics or maybe Summon Night? The systems are pretty basic SRPG fare but there are a good amount of them.

Ryuukan

about 3 hours played yesterday
I really like how they tried to take everything good from FFT and simplify it.

I don't feel too roped into the story yet, but hopefully that will change after seeing more villains aside from grunts

the dub is pretty awful imo, like random people pulled aside to record at an anime con level

the game has yet to be released in japan so I would expect this to get patched soon

edit: see my next post

Godawful. I'm not a fan of English VO in general, but coming off of Fire Emblem Echoes it's just horrible. Princess Kayuga (sp?) was decent, but Kintaro and all the minor characters were rough. Even the mixing and mastering is also the place - one of Kuma's growls almost blew out my speaker!

I'll use context clues for the cutscenes cuz I'm never going back! Game's pretty fun so far though. Reminds me a lot of Jeanne D'Arc.

Right okay, cheers to both of you. Japanese VA it is then. I'll just wait for the subs patch for the cutscenes then. Seems like an odd omission. :/

Ryuukan

It's so weird playing an SRPG with aggro, but I like it

the "impurity" stat on each character is basically threat level and you have warrior abilities that can increase it and priest abilities than can lower it

aside from the obvious increases from attacking and healing and decreases from not doing either

Strings

Roughly ~5 hours in (or 8 story battles and ~8 optional ones), and enjoying this more and more as I go along. The VO is generally poor, but the later-ish characters are alright, and the story is starting to pick up somewhat.

Dig the character designs (though I wish Ao kept her pre-reveal look), and the encounter design is surprisingly decent. Stupid amount of content too, since I realized every shrine has its own set of 7+ requests.

After Natural Doctrine was a colossal disappointment / generally one of the worst games I'd ever played, this is a super pleasant surprise.

canedaddy

I've been trying to scratch my itch for an FFT-style SRPG for a while now. The last two I tried to play were awful (Luminous Arc 2 and FFTA2) so I'm a bit gun-shy. That style of gameplay is like crack to me, but for some reason most FFT imitators screw it up by adding unwanted annoying systems, having a garbage story, etc.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, please keep the impressions coming!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
With this character:
..feeling like an obvious homage to Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water, I figured I might as well give this a shot. Especially with the inexpensive amazon price for PS4. Now I've got to wait for shipping...

Currently playing through Summon Night 5, with 6 on the way. Hopefully this is a good follow up to SN5. I listened to This Review the other day, and that sounds pretty good. to me, the A.I. sounds fairly crafty.

It's been a while since I've played anything that reminded me of the FFTactics and Vandal Hearts of the world.

Top Bottom