• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

hornetpie

Neo Member
Youtube reserves the right to remove your content for essentially any reason. Fair use is a defense against a copyright infringement claim and does not protect you against private parties censoring your content on their own platforms.

as i said the youtube rules are to skewed towards the businesses

the onus should be on them to prove copyright infringement as it is in the law

ill just leave this here link

So much unmitigated BS. MS did a 180, but their underlying attitude hasn't changed at all. I remember all the jabs Nintendo, Sony and Sega used to take at each other back in the day. MS seems to take jabs at gamers, even those who buy MS' hardware. How the fuck do so many people still defend them?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So let me get this straight, guy receives console, guy publicizes console (and praises it to high heaven), guy puts YT videos up and is happy with XB1 and MS comes in and bans him?

Does MS even have a PR department to filter out these decisions through before enacting them?

tumblr_mslql1zNKC1sqv808o1_500.gif

Perhaps they were worried about his 'long term' experience. We know it goes into stasis if it overheats (like most electronics these days) but what if it does it regularly and after only a couple of hours. Could this be what CBOAT was referring to?

Nubzcake

Banned
"All it takes is one instance of something that was mis-communicated or misconstrued, throw that through the internet media machine and you’ve got a disaster."

Pretty much as I suspected there concerns would be.

i still don't see what the problem was. all he did was show an unboxing video right? i haven't seen it that's why i'm asking.

to me it seems like MS is doing more harm than good at this point

zainetor

Banned
That guy said he talked on the phone with MS, which likely means he talked to some low level grunt who knows nothing.

It's not like he directly called up a head of MS and asked if it's kosher.

Yeah becasue the operator can give you bullshit, without risking anything.
Arent the calls recorded whan you call Ms service?

The Cowboy

So funny, I was pretty much sold on the Xbox one from the other thread (the new UI video) and now after this thread I'm not anymore.

Good job MS, you should be ashamed of yourselves for treating legit customers like this.

"All it takes is one instance of something that was mis-communicated or misconstrued, throw that through the internet media machine and you’ve got a disaster."

Pretty much as I suspected there concerns would be.

So, they create a guaranteed publicized disaster in preparation for a potential disaster?

The+Rock+Clapping.gif

Kusagari

lol are you kidding me?

You really think MS sent out a memo to customer service reps on what to do if someone called about using a One 2 weeks early?

Do you need to be reminded of how various customer service reps had absolutely NO idea, including MS own Xbox Live twitter, about how the DRM worked back during the initial fiasco?

hwy_61

Banned
That makes it even worse for them to bann him. Microsoft has the update live, and he legally purchased their console from Target, and for that he get his console banned. Does that make any sense?

No, it doesn't. Thats what we're discussing.

c0de

But everything is behind Xbox Live, so he is able to do nothing but play offline games and watch blu-rays.

So he can use the *console* still. Man, people complaining Xbone does too much, not focussing on gaming -> hate. Now they ban him from live, he still can play -> hate.
No online-gaming by now? What's the matter? With which people do you want to play currently?

Vestal

Gold Member
Well I think we all saw this coming from the start when he started posting about his experience.

I personally feel its a bad move on MS part to ban the console, since he was good PR for the time he was talking. However I can understand how not being able to control the message on software that is still probably not ready could be weighed against the benefits of the good PR this guy was giving them. There are various things that could have forced MS to do this, such as publisher pressure to not allow their unfinished games to be displayed on Youtube or what not. Additionally there off course is the wrinkle that this guy makes money off of youtube, which could cause all sorts of other problems for MS with publishers and content providers.

I believe at some point today we will get a response from either Penello or Major explaining the situation. Having said that, anything short of a ban reversal be it now or on release date(11/22) would be absolutely brutal. Part of me thinks that if this was done manually it was not handled by the right people.

Sethos

Banned

That's funny. He was being really positive about the Xbox One and might have been some of the best PR they had in a long time, I was even nodding going "Oh nice". Banning him certainly didn't turn it into a PR disaster, nope!

Holy shit Microsoft really don't have the first clue of what they are doing.

weeeeezy

Banned
S¡mon;89138668 said:
To the people saying that it is okay to ban this guy:

As far as I know, this person bought the console. Legitimately. No hacks. No thefts. He bought it and his store delivered it a little bit earlier than expected.

It's not his fault that he gets it early. And why shouldn't someone be able to share his experiences with something he bought.
If it was really a problem, Microsoft should focus its attention on the store - not on the buyer who bought it.

And if Microsoft really doesn't want anything to be leaked about the Xbox One, than they should have done the following:

1) Update shouldn't have gone live until like the 21st or maybe even the 22nd of November
2) If the update is live early, than acces to Xbox Live should have been restricted

Microsoft failed at point 1. They failed again at point 2.

There's no reason to ban a legit customer who probably didn't even realize he was doing something wrong.
The console is not released to the public yet so the ban is fine. They should however lift that ban on release day, if they don't then it's fucked up.

BigDug13

MS customer service told a customer they could do what they want with their XBO. Posting youtube videos false under "do what you want" and a customer got banned for it. So either way the customer service advise was incorrect.

Youtube reserves the right to remove your content for essentially any reason. Fair use is a defense against a copyright infringement claim and does not protect you against private parties censoring your content on their own platforms.

Youtube has a blanket policy of siding with the claimant except in cases so blatantly obvious that they have no choice.but to side with the user.

It's actually really terrible but no one ever makes a stink about it.

c0de

That makes it even worse for them to bann him. Microsoft has the update live, and he legally purchased their console from Target, and for that he get his console banned. Does that make any sense?

He didn't get banned for nothing... people, start to read the posts in this thread. Can't believe what some people post here.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
See, he mentioned he had to reload CoD Ghosts at one point and they instantly banned him. What lies beneath the Xbox One OS? I am starting to feel concerned. CONCERN is radiating from me.

jem0208

Just pointing out obvious apologist with full blown Stockholm Syndrome. Since when posting an unboxing video warrants a:

1. Copyright claim
2. Console ban

The copyright claim is actually to censor him, it was false claim which is punishable by law since video falls under review/fair use category. How can unboxing video can even warrant a console ban?

Apologist? Stockholme syndrome?

The hell?

I was just relaying what the Verge said. And they said that he was banned for something else other than just playing the console..

Razdek

Banned
It's like Microsoft never even thought "what would we do if users got their consoles earlier. How would we handle that?" and instead panicked and just banned it. It's like how they said the never thought of the term Xbone and don't like it. How the hell do you miss that when you have the two words are Xbox and One? Hope the bam is only until the 22nd.

The console is not released to the public yet so the ban is fine. They should however lift that ban on release day, if they don't then it's fucked up.

Do you honestly think they're going to do that? They don't care. They got his money, they made a "great" excuse to ban him (they consider the console a 'beta' because it isn't released yet -- which would scare the shit out of me if I was purchasing an XB1) and they're going to move on.

If they don't, then fantastic, but I'm putting no faith in their decision making at this point.

Green Yoshi

MS didn't ban him because he was using it. They banned him for the youtube stuff.

Did the Halo 4 player, that was banned for playing early, upload anything on Youtube? If you are using it early, it is against the TOS. So Microsoft is right, but they are not doing theirselves a favor with this strict behaviour.

i still don't see what the problem was. all he did was show an unboxing video right? i haven't seen it that's why i'm asking.

to me it seems like MS is doing more harm than good at this point

He also posted a bunch of pics of the dashboard and stuff on twitter. It's all from a retail unit, with the Day 1 update installed so i don't see why they'd have a big enough problem with this to ban his console. Even if it's temporary it's completely idiotic.

hornetpie

Neo Member

no is not.

seriously its not. if you don't want systems on it, don't put it live... or use IP whitelisting for those that are supposed to have it early

anything but this

zainetor

Banned
lol are you kidding me?

You really think MS sent out a memo to customer service reps on what to do if someone called about using a One 2 weeks early?

There are supervisors on the job that can answer this questions. I really doubt the operator has said something like that, without asking his superior first.
But againg we're just making assumptions. We dont know shit until someone speaks clearly.

"Banned" is a subjective term!

I also want to ad that this guy posting pictures and impressions and answering questions quickly and promptly was the best PR Microsoft has had since the Xbox One was released. There was no spin, no bullshit, no out of touch arrogant answers. This guy answered things based on what he could and couldnt do with his hands on experiences. Then they ban him. It really just makes me roll my eyes. I dont know if it is their arrogance or what, but they cannot get out of their own way to see that this was actually a VERY GOOD THING FOR THEM.

Its pretty much ridiculous and it is very hard to root for them when they do things like this. He didn't steal it, he didn't modify it. If they dont want him to play it, then do what people in this thread are saying, Whitelist the ones you do want to have access to the update, and Xbox Live, otherwise, he would have a brick until launch.

Perhaps they were worried about his 'long term' experience. We know it goes into stasis if it overheats (like most electronics these days) but what if it does it regularly and after only a couple of hours. Could this be what CBOAT was referring to?

"We appreciate GribbleGrungers foray into fiction and look forward to future episodes on n4g."

Top Bottom