• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Blizzard just trademark its next WoW expansion?

water_wendi said:
Whats the problem with that? Make it like TBC and have portals that lead to strange lands.

Oh I don't mean from the travel perspective or anything. They could just make it "a wizard did it" considering the Dreamwalker fight in Icecrown where you can phase in and out of the Emerald Dream to boost your heals.

The big issue is the scale of it, technically the entirety of Azeroth should be mirrored in the ED. They could probably get away with just doing one continent or something though.

Belfast

Oni Link 666 said:
2 big reasons why I don't think Pandaren will be playable

1. China is definitely not having a game which depicts Pandas in violent scenarios and China is WoW's biggest market. Blizzard has said that is the reason why Pandaren are not playable in WoW a few times already.

2. Players will flip their shit when they find out that the Pandaren are going to be part of the other faction. Same goes for Murlocs. Blizzard can't win that one no matter what they do.

The first point is actually not true at all.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jira said:
It's highly unlikely that this is real because Emerald Dream has been set in the lore for a long time now and has become more and more prevalent as of late. I'd be shocked if it wasn't ED. WoW is currently in the state EQ was before WoW's release and TOR is next in line to take the theme-park throne. Then early next year GW2 will come out and change the genre entirely making everything else irrelevant.

Its nice to dream.

Acerac

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Player characters are still pretty weak to go to the Emerald Dream, from a lore perspective.
Even after taking down a fully powered Rag and (by the time the expansion is over) Deathwing?

I suppose there are other places we can go beforehand, but Deathwing is a champ.

Meh. More likely than not we won't kill him anyways.

*Edit*

Of course I still don't understand how we were able to kill Malygos. Red dragon flight helping or not he was the aspect of magic...
Oni Link 666 said:
What do you mean it's not true? You mean Blizzard is feeding us bullshit? 'Cause they did say that in one of the Blizzcon 2009 Q&As.
Blizzard would never feed their playerbase bullshit!

I really need to save that laughing smiley on imgur.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Oni Link 666 said:
What do you mean it's not true? You mean Blizzard is feeding us bullshit? 'Cause they did say that in one of the Blizzcon 2009 Q&As.

Perhaps in terms of number of heads, China has a lot of subscribers, but they have a totally different fee system to play WoW. As far as the regions where Blizzard reaps the lion's share of their WoW revenue, the money still comes primarily from the West. Using the word "big" in this case has different connotations depending on the situation.

zugzug

sykoex said:
Evil dark Pandaren for Horde, heroic noble Pandaren for Alliance.

heh exactly the lvl 6 end quest is the invasion of some force you must choose to go left and join the alliance or you must go right and join the horde....Do you choose the Blue pill of the alliance or the red pill of the horde.

If that happens i will go join the console races and forsake the master races of PCs and blame blizzzard and their bad story telling.

Please someone post and remind me again how Blizzard is at the top of their game now currently in this generation.

FyreWulff

I was just discussing with my brother a few days ago that we'd know Blizzard would be in hard retain mode to keep people until Titan when they'd announce Pandaren for player characters.

Well then

Bowdz

Weenerz said:
And a percentage goes to Blizzard, which is their main intention. Don't kid yourself.

Hey, the next solid gold statue of Kerrigan isn't going to pay for itself.

CassSept

Sober said:
Is that better, or worse than your class changing every single patch? (Pallies)
Eh, that's what pretty much happened in WotLK. While not complete changes, cookie-cutter PvE builds changed every patch, and that was quite interesting because you at least had some variety.
OTOH, in TBC last rogue change that influenced PvE at all was sword spec change just after BT hit. The class didn't change one bit for over 1.5 year, jesus christ was that boring.

No idea how it is in Cata, I haven't played the game since hitting 85 due to lack of time (casual playing isn't really for me, raiding or bust).
Might return for Pandarens though, sigh.

V_Arnold

Weenerz said:
According to www.MMO-Champion.com Blizzard just filed for "Mists of Pandaria", and they are thinking it will be an expansion and not a book of some kind. As a former WoW addict, it is a bit upsetting with the trend of Blizzard churning out expansions at a faster rate, while charging or soon to be charging for "premium" content, like sending your BoAs to other realms. And with them showing off their Real Money AH in Diablo 3, it just feels like Blizzard is becoming more like Activision every single day.

Okay. That is a new trend now, is it?
So what in this indicates that, hm? The fact that they WILL do an expansion in every 18-24 motnhs? The other problems of yours are, well... what is the connection again? Why should Blizzard stop introducing premium services OR stop making expansions? Why? o_o

Acosta

An asian theme for WoW would be interesting enough for resub and explore the new place. I have been put for many months now, but I'm not finished with WoW as far as there is something interesting to check that doesn't require reruns of the same dungeons and item farming.

it just feels like Blizzard is becoming more like Activision every single day.

Yes, churning out faster expansions = Activision, despite the fact that every expansion has been announced the year after the previous one launched, plus the fact that they have publicly announced they want faster content because of the sub drop, and the widespread complaint that content came out too goddamned slow.

mxgt

Banned
V_Arnold said:
[/B]

So what in this indicates that, hm? The fact that they WILL do an expansion in every 18-24 motnhs? The other problems of yours are, well... what is the connection again? Why should Blizzard stop introducing premium services OR stop making expansions? Why? o_o
Because Blizzard are ruining the MMO genre and are creating the most entitled fanbase the world has ever seen which will then flock and destroy other MMOs which have their priorities right.

there might be slight hyperbole in my post

The problem is that Blizzard has been introducing features and changes that really have no place in an MMO just to pander to people who don't want to put in the time or effort which should be a key feature of any MMO.

This is my opinion only but as a WoW veteran who stopped playing during the wrath baby era (and came back for under a month during cata) I can say that Blizzard is doing more harm than good for the MMO genre as a whole.

Acerac

Banned
Truant said:
Everything Blizzard does is called **** of (the) *****
Hell yeah, like the last expansion to WoW, Cataclysm of the Azeroth, or the last game they released, Starcraft of the 2.

Diablo of the 3 is what I'm waiting for myself.

FieryBalrog said:
Yes, churning out faster expansions = Activision, despite the fact that every expansion has been announced the year after the previous one launched, plus the fact that they have publicly announced they want faster content because of the sub drop, and the widespread complaint that content came out too fucking slow.

More expansions and less raids is not what I was hoping for. Still waiting on those raids we were promised that would be shipped with the expansion last Blizzcon. I get the feeling they're not coming.

CassSept

V_Arnold said:
[/B]

Wow, didn't notice that sentence. Unless MoP is somehow shown randomly this month instead of during BlizzCon this will be the longest it took Blizzard to announce the next expansion after the last one. Hell, WotLK was announced less than 7 months after TBC launched.

Raide

Acerac said:
Hell yeah, like the last expansion to WoW, Cataclysm of the Azeroth, or the last game they released, Starcraft of the 2.

Diablo of the 3 is what I'm waiting for myself.

3 of the Diablo should be awesome. Cannot wait to fight 3 Diablo's at the same time!

I am finally over WoW, so another Expansion means little to me now. I am interested to see what their next MMO will be like.

V_Arnold

mxgt said:
Because Blizzard are ruining the MMO genre and are creating the most entitled fanbase the world has ever seen which will then flock and destroy other MMOs which have their priorities right.

there might be slight hyperbole in my post

The problem is that Blizzard has been introducing features and changes that really have no place in an MMO just to pander to people who don't want to put in the time or effort which should be a key feature of any MMO.

This is my opinion only but as a WoW veteran who stopped playing during the wrath baby era (and came back for under a month during cata) I can say that Blizzard is doing more harm than good for the MMO genre as a whole.

Yeah, damn Blizzard for creating too good MMO's. It is a real issue. I cant play any non-WoW mmo for too long, because the devil is in the details, and they are lacking in it compared to WoW. Also, the combat system is so fun even 6 years later in WoW that I compare everything to that. Aion could have came close with some tweaks and a less laggy interface, other games have good ideas, but sometimes you can instantly see that the developer team did not play with their own game too much, or else they would have realized what parts suck in combat if repeated over a long time.

CassSept said:
Eh, that's what pretty much happened in WotLK. While not complete changes, cookie-cutter PvE builds changed every patch, and that was quite interesting because you at least had some variety.
OTOH, in TBC last rogue change that influenced PvE at all was sword spec change just after BT hit. The class didn't change one bit for over 1.5 year, jesus christ was that boring.

No idea how it is in Cata, I haven't played the game since hitting 85 due to lack of time (casual playing isn't really for me, raiding or bust).
Might return for Pandarens though, sigh.
Frankly, Blizzard changes the game too much to cater to whatever segment is yelling at any given moment.

You can't expect any sort of consistency with your class. Not that I play anymore, I quit a few months after Cata.

Acerac

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Yeah, damn Blizzard for creating too good MMO's. It is a real issue. I cant play any non-WoW mmo for too long, because the devil is in the details, and they are lacking in it compared to WoW. Also, the combat system is so fun even 6 years later in WoW that I compare everything to that. Aion could have came close with some tweaks and a less laggy interface, other games have good ideas, but sometimes you can instantly see that the developer team did not play with their own game too much, or else they would have realized what parts suck in combat if repeated over a long time.
I get the feeling that Blizzard doesn't play their own MMO, or they would have noticed how much they've screwed up pugs due to their asinine shared lockouts between 10 and 25 mans.

I don't feel like having my schedule locked based on a guild's raid schedule, so I don't deserve to raid? OK then I won't play any more. I was on Illidan so I doubt the problem there was having too slow of a server.

Blizz had a great product going, but the obvious milking of their product is enough to make many (myself included) leave. Based on this pattern of behavior I will not be back for the next expansion, or Titan for that matter.

Who else remembers when you could open a ticket and actually get it answered while you were still playing? Once wotlk hit the dive in customer service was obvious.

FieryBalrog said:
Frankly, Blizzard changes the game too much to cater to whatever segment is yelling at any given moment.

You can't expect any sort of consistency with your class. Not that I play anymore, I quit a few months after Cata.
Frost mages are immune to pvp nerfs. They just ice block and Blizz passes them right by. I'd not be so bitter if I didn't main a hunter for pvp half the time. Other than the gimmicky beast cleave they've not been viable since... well... before arenas existed?

*edit*

Oh god and rated battlegrounds. Why do we need a raid to do them? Why not let us pug them? Sure it'll be inconsistent at first, but the good players will slowly filter up and the bad would slowly filter down. There are problems, but at least it'd be accessible.

Xavien said:
And the fact that content patches have been slower and slower to come out is because...?

The ultimate end of this is that expansions will become the content patches and the monthly fee will be redundant.
That'd be because WoW is in full cash cow mode where Blizz invests the least possible money for maximum profit.

They're not being subtle about it. =/

Xavien

FieryBalrog said:
Yes, churning out faster expansions = Activision, despite the fact that every expansion has been announced the year after the previous one launched, plus the fact that they have publicly announced they want faster content because of the sub drop, and the widespread complaint that content came out too goddamned slow.

And the fact that content patches have been slower and slower to come out is because...?

The ultimate end of this is that expansions will become the content patches and the monthly fee will be redundant.

Stopped playing about 6 months ago and waiting for Guild Wars 2.

mxgt

Banned
Acerac said:
Who else remembers when you could open a ticket and actually get it answered while you were still playing? Once wotlk hit the dive in customer service was obvious.

The queues were clogged by people wondering why they died in a heroic. ;)

Acerac

Banned
mxgt said:
The queues were clogged by people wondering why they died in a heroic. ;)
Seeing as how the absurdly long queues began in 3.0 that is troublesome indeed, considering the difficulty difference between BC and wrath heroics.

*Edit*

Does bring back a funny memory of when a GM called me out for exploiting the ticketing system. If you want your tickets answered asap, use the word stuck somewhere in the ticket. Just be subtle about it and don't overuse it or they may threaten to ban you.

jim-jam bongs said:

Character from after the Simpsons stopped being entertaining!

CassSept

FieryBalrog said:

I know, but at least it was exciting. Learning new builds and whatnot, even if it took a second. Playing the same build for over a year was boring, really. I prefer classes being changed every now and then, even with the annoyances of regemming. Mind you, I was a hardcore raider so I played quite a lot.

Acerac said:
Hah, that was great. And some of the GMs were really cool. Once when I wrote a ticket the gm teleported me to him outside of Shattrath. He used the model of ogre and started role-playing. He asked me if I weren't followed and then spawned three Black Chickens of Death (El Pollo Grande) and afterwards gave me Leper Gnome costume. Finally, he helped me with the matter, put Jack 'o Lantern on my head and launched me towards Scryers Bank. It might have been kind of stupid, but still, it was really fun. When WotLK hit it got progressively longer and longer and in late 2009 you would only get a mail reply a day or two later... maybe. Sigh, quite sad. By the way, is it still that way in Cata?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Acerac said:
Wings of Liberty
Heart of the Swarm
Legacy of the Void
Reign of Chaos
Wrath of the Lich King
Lord of Destruction
Tides of Darkness
Lord of the Clans

Also, "of" is right in the title anyways, even Cataclysm is still World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

Nugg

It's not going any faster. It's on track with what we've already seen with previous expansions.

Blizzard trademarked "Cataclysm" in july 2009, officially announced it at Blizzcon '09 last week of october, and released it in december 2010, just over two years after Wrath of the Lich King.

Following the same pattern, we have the trademark during the summer, we'll have the annoucement during Blizzcon in october, and a release about one year later, which will bring us two years after Cataclysm. That's what we're used to.

Acerac

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Also, "of" is right in the title anyways, even Cataclysm is still World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.
No doubt, Blizzard does love naming their patches and expansions "of the". Rise of the Zandalari, Revenge of the Firelord and all that.

However they could name their expansion anything and it'd still have "of" in its title due to the fact that it is an expansion of a game with "of" in its name. Is rather asinine to point that out, however.

"Can't Blizzard come up with any WoW expansion that doesn't use the word Warcraft in its title? What uncreative people they are!"

Acerac said:
Character from after the Simpsons stopped being entertaining!

Harsh. I was actually enjoying the small pony parade which had broken out. Besides, the name is more of a stoner thing than an endorsement of the character.

Dakota47

Valnen said:
If you don't like WoW, you probably won't like ToR. ToR is basically WoW with more story.

Maybe he isn't so much tired of the gameplay as he is of the gaming universe? I for one am kinda fed up with Azeroth by now. The only reason I am dungeon leveling a Gnome Priest at the moment is to prepare myself to be a healer in SW:TOR. I'd probably freeze my WoW account the second I get into the TOR beta.

Acerac

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Harsh. I was actually enjoying the small pony parade which had broken out. Besides, the name is more of a stoner thing than an endorsement of the character.
I'd not be so harsh if I wasn't so sad about what the show devolved to for those painful seasons. I've heard it has picked up nicely as of late, however.

The fact that bud has been dry in my area for the last 2 weeks may have also contributed to my less than kind reaction. My bongs are crying due to disuse, and the very mention of pot makes me sad.

My apologies, I've been trained by these boards that most people reacting to ponies are doing so in a negative fashion. I do hope you'll forgive my misjudged initial reaction. Considering you're showing tribute to both the Simpsons and pot, it was wholly unwarranted.

Xavien said:
I have no idea. I don't play anymore either, but the last content patches certainly have been faster than the giant gap between the Icecrown patch and anything remotely resembling content.

Actually I do have an idea, the A-team is working on Titan.

Randy

Raide said:
3 of the Diablo should be awesome. Cannot wait to fight 3 Diablo's at the same time!

I am finally over WoW, so another Expansion means little to me now. I am interested to see what their next MMO will be like.

Same here. With TERA, SWTOR and GW2, it's pretty much written in the stars that the mmo-fanbase will further scatter. Really anxious to see what Titan's gonna be like.

Swig_

Best thing I ever did was not buy Cata when all my friends did. Now anytime (which is becoming very rare) I get the urge to play, I just have to remember that I would have to buy an expansion, plus resub, plus level up to 85.

Best WoW detox ever.

Also, glad I don't have an addictive personality. Some of my friends are just sad and probably will never stop playing, even though they don't enjoy it any longer.

cdyhybrid

ToyMachine228 said:
I don't think Pandarens will be playable at all. They'll be neutral. They'll be hosts of the main city, NPC's etc. But not playable. And it doesn't surprise me that Blizzard chose to go this route since Cataclysm has been steadily losing players. For the first time in WoW's history, things are declining. And they're busting out the Pandarens to try to bring players back.

Pandas won't bring anyone back unless they're playable.

cdyhybrid said:
Pandas won't bring anyone back unless they're playable.

Sure they can, as long as they're the center of the expansion. Remember, China is very strict about the use of pandas of movies, games, etc. And China is a huge market for WoW. So to depict a Pandaren dying could be a problem.

Also just found this on the Pandaria WoWiki and thought it was worth mentioning.

Pandaria is apparently known for its gems (which are apparently magical). The red dragons believed that three crushed gems from Pandaria are one of the components needed to rejuvenate the Sunwell.

So my guess is...Pandaria is threatened by something and ambassadors of the Pandaren venture out and contact both the leaders of the Alliance and Horde and ask for their help in fighting off whatever this new threat may be.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Valnen said:
If you don't like WoW, you probably won't like ToR. ToR is basically WoW with more story.
i dont really get that feeling at all from the videos. To say TOR is just Wow with more story is pretty foolish. Incorporating story as gameplay is lightyears beyond anything Wow has in regards to story. Wow has what? One choice in Mount Hyjal with whether to kill or spare that harpy? lol

FieryBalrog said:
I don't even see the evidence for "faster" expansions or content patches. Sure, Blizzard has promised these things, but anyone actually playing the game and not just reading news knows better.

water_wendi said:
i dont really get that feeling at all from the videos. To say TOR is just Wow with more story is pretty foolish. Incorporating story as gameplay is lightyears beyond anything Wow has in regards to story. Wow has what? One choice in Mount Hyjal with whether to kill or spare that harpy? lol
TOR can't decide if it wants to be a single player game or an MMO. Purely gameplay speaking, the game is extremely similar to WoW.

Freyjadour said:
I don't even see the evidence for "faster" expansions or content patches. Sure, Blizzard has promised these things, but anyone actually playing the game and not just reading news knows better.
Thats kinda his point, people playing the game want faster content, randoms coming into the thread assume faster expansions = bad = activisions devil powers.

Top Bottom