• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime: Microsoft rejected Tequila Works’ game before it became PS4 exclusive

Texhex

Banned
Who can reject this beauty?

rime1jasvw.gif

Here you go:

Honestly I would have, it looks like such an (shitty) ICO ripoff that Sony would have probably sued lol
+
So it's going to be boring, full of gameplay sins and outdated?

Love how arrogance always seem to be the downfall of these companies. Happened with Nintendo and the N64, happened with Sony and PS3 and it is happening/happened with Microsoft and the Xbone.

Let's hope it doesn't end up like Heavenly Sword, which was also rejected by Microsoft.

Why not? Heavenly Sword was great!

Based on what we've heard/seen, I'm kind of doubting that the Rime that exists today is the same as what is being pitched here, it probably just evolved from that though. Also, I probably would have said no to someone pitching "Popular game A meets high selling game B meets famous thing C" so I can understand Microsoft here.

It turned out to be a really interesting looking game though, keen to see where it goes when we see more.

Yeah, that was what I thought too reading the description "Gauntlet meets Minecraft meets Jason and the Argonauts". From the footage we've seen I didn't get any of that emphasis at all, although it could be that Sony demanded changes so it more closely resembled critical darlings Journey and Ico/SotC.

Caayn

From the interview i posted before:
Ouch. I want more "classic" game experiences. I don't need to social stuff pushed into every game just for the sake of it.

Microsoft you're the Sony of 2005/6. And that's not a good thing.

Why not? Heavenly Sword was great!

Yeah, that was what I thought too reading the description "Gauntlet meets Minecraft meets Jason and the Argonauts". From the footage we've seen I didn't get any of that emphasis at all, although it could be that Sony demanded changes so it more closely resembled critical darlings Journey and Ico/SotC.

I don't think Sony really meddles in stuff like that, at least that's the impression I've got from reading about their relationships with thatgamecompany and other indies

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
"Then the Xbox One plans were announced and everything changed. The people at Microsoft say that the game doesn't fit in the strategy of the new console, that they are looking for "connected experiences" and the social factor. Rime didn't fit because it was a single-player game, a very traditional game experience."

This reminds me of Microsoft cancelling Obsidians Xbox One game.

The game we are currently seeing is likely completely different from the game MS was presented with as a pitch

Also this was before TW knew about the XO ever existing

They probably went back to the drawing board when XDev jumped in

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
That 3 million could be put to better use. Like being the Official Game Console of Major League Soccer!

vg260

Well, maybe Microsoft will get Lococycle 2, so it all evens out.

But really, games get rejected/picked up all the time.

MLCodest

In hindsight it might be a mistake but I can totally understand why they did after Deadlight. Hope Rime ends up as amazing as the art style.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
had they already signed Below before this?

because i could imagine confusion over two games set on a mysterious island in their first year lineup might also have swayed their decision

LowerLevel

Amazing. Turn this away but get first shot at things like Below, sign multi year deals like the one with Undead Labs (which, ironically may have been turned away from by Sony...), and buy up shops like Press Play. Is kind of amazing to see which direction they plan on going.

Freeman

Banned
Reading that just made my interest for this game peak. I wasn't expecting it to be so ambitious, I thought it was going to be more like ICO.

Zia

The Xbox division recently does too many silly things to keep track of, but I don't see the issue with passing on Rime. They have an incredible track record with their timed indie exclusives (Bastion, Limbo, Braid, Fez, Spelunky), so it's not as if they don't know quality. Also, Deadlight was a critical and commercial failure during its time as a 360 exclusive. But, I imagine people would be complaining if Rime had ended up an XB1 exclusive, so it's kind of whatever.

Foolish fools, it doesn't look like a game that their target audience would enjoy though, so I understand why they will say no. They will regret it later :p

Yet Below does? Funny you berate them as being foolish in making assumptions about their fanbase, yet make a foolish generalisation.

Orcs Must Die? Gauntlet? Seriously, those are some of the least likely references I could think of after seeing the Rime reveal trailer. It must have been a significantly different game back then.

rob305

Hm never heard of this game before but the screenshots look really interesting. I will keep an eye out for this game.
I don't know when this deal happened but MS probably thought their crowd wouldn't dig it. A game like journey wouldn't have sold on the 360

Koppai

Yet Below does? Funny you berate them as being foolish in making assumptions about their fanbase, yet make a foolish generalisation.

It says it right in the article that they skipped it because it's single player and doesn't have a social aspect. Which means it doesn't fit their target audience. :)
Finally something for me to play on PS4! :)
Where's the Japanese games?... >_<

Musolf815

"Then the Xbox One plans were announced and everything changed. The people at Microsoft say that the game doesn't fit in the strategy of the new console, that they are looking for "connected experiences" and the social factor. Rime didn't fit because it was a single-player game, a very traditional game experience."

This reminds me of Microsoft cancelling Obsidians Xbox One game.

I hadn't heard about that...I'm almost afraid to ask as it will probably make me feel really sad.

Top Bottom