• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most creative way you've solved a problem in BotW?

NEO0MJ

So, did anyone who take on the shrine with the ball and wind actually do it the correct way? Because based on this thread everyone found another way of handling it 😂
I just put the ball bear the hole and used magnesis on the metal block to push it in when I was in position.

Dreavus

Climb to some weird place and stack stuff up then glide there, look back at all the geometry, items and enemy placements I just brute forced past and laugh at the idea of the level designer crying in a corner.

Lol.

I found the Shrine of Courage and Power by arriving from the side, directly at the shrines themselves. I look out afterward both times and see this huge Lizardfos/Guardian trench run, presumably those were the proper ways to arrive at the shrines

I think it's awesome that you can just do whatever you want in cases like that. I ended up fighting through them later for their treasure anyways, so those level designers can rest a little easier.

I cheated on Eventide Island.

That is awesome. I would have never thought to do that.

ckaneo

So, did anyone who take on the shrine with the ball and wind actually do it the correct way? Because based on this thread everyone found another way of handling it 😂
I just put the ball bear the hole and used magnesis on the metal block to push it in when I was in position.
Assuming we are all talking about the same shrine lol, I just use stasis on the ball and ran to the spot.

The wind just seemed ridiculous

Mistle

In the fire Beast I momentarily forgot you could light the tip of an arrow in a torch then move and shoot.

There's a puzzle where you have to shoot a blue flame arrow through a door to light a lamp, but the lamp is off to the side so I couldn't aim through it like I wanted. I spent like 30mins or more trying to figure this out... decided to get creative.

Statis'd a chest infront of the door. Lit a torch with the flame, and dropped it on top of the chest so it was elevated off the ground. Shot an arrow through the flame while crouching, through the hole in the door, lit the damn lamp!

I swear I then instantly remembered I could have just dipped the tip of my arrow in the flame and move... ugh lmao

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The spiral shrine quest where they ask you to run the orb through a gauntlet of enemies? Fuck that, stasis it twice to the center and skip everyone. Their fault for making the water so shallow. :3

Soodanim

Gold Member
In the lizard divine beast,
I had already gotten four of the terminals. THe last terminal is behind a wooden door with the eye symbol which lets you see into the next room which has a thingy that needs to be lit.
Not knowing that
you can light your own arrows on fire
, I instead
lit a blue flame with my torch, and then tilted the lizard back and forth until I was able to crawl through the eye hole space to get that last terminal
That puzzle annoyed me for hours. I looked around for alternate ways into the room, then gave up on that. The problem was that I'd never been given reason to think you can light the tip of an arrow on fire and I eventually looked at a guide online. The one thing that's annoyed me about the game so far.

In the fire Beast I momentarily forgot you could light the tip of an arrow in a torch then move and shoot.

There's a puzzle where you have to shoot a blue flame arrow through a door to light a lamp, but the lamp is off to the side so I couldn't aim through it like I wanted. I spent like 30mins or more trying to figure this out... decided to get creative.

Statis'd a chest infront of the door. Lit a torch with the flame, and dropped it on top of the chest so it was elevated off the ground. Shot an arrow through the flame, through the hole in the door, lit the damn lamp!

I swear I then instantly remembered I could have just dipped the tip of my arrow in the flame and move... ugh lmao
Where did you learn that you can light arrow tips?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
That puzzle annoyed me for hours. I looked around for alternate ways into the room, then gave up on that. The problem was that I'd never been given reason to think you can light the tip of an arrow on fire and I eventually looked at a guide online. The one thing that's annoyed me about the game so far.

A shrine in the region teaches you.

Amalthea

Banned
Dunno, just abuse ice stasis and elemental arrows wherever I can.

I think I solved way too many shrines in the most lazy fashion.

random25

Assuming we are all talking about the same shrine lol, I just use stasis on the ball and ran to the spot.

It's all about figuring a such an obvious solution that keeps staring at your face. There's a lot of these that a lot of players fall for because we are kind of wired to do things "the right way".

weekev

Banned
I'm not that creative. I used stasis on a boulder up death mountain and hit it just enough to take 2 sentrys down. It felt good. I'm gonna start trying more crazy stuff as it is the most rewarding way to play.

MisterP

Banned
A pack of goblins were chasing me through a meadow and I was out of weapons. I managed to hide up a tree, lobbed a bomb at a few horses nearby who trampled the goblins for me.

Murman

In Divine Beast Vah Medoh,
there's a part where you're supposed to drop rolling bombs through a hole near the floor and use them to blow up obstacles you can see through the glass. I wasn't sure of what to do, so I hit the switch in the room to open the windows and tilted the Divine Beast's wings. I jumped out of the open window and glided down to the next open one on the wing, which put me directly inside the room. Activated the terminal and then blew up obstacles to release the metal ball I needed to get out. A lot easier to figure out when I was actually in the room and not peering through glass.

I thought that was that you were supposed to do lol

I admit while in the actual room I thought "seems a bit easy even for a zelda puzzle" but I guess we cheated.

random25

There's also this shrine quest
where you are suppose to warm "it" when a light shines from the heart or something like that. What I did was to set a campfire on the pedestal at noon until the pedestal lights up. And it worked. It turns out that you are supposed to shoot a fire arrow from the heart to the pedestal as a solution. So yeah, that's not as exciting but it still worked lol.

Jackano

There's also this shrine quest
where you are suppose to warm "it" when a light shines from the heart or something like that. What I did was to set a campfire on the pedestal at noon until the pedestal lights up. And it worked. It turns out that you are supposed to shoot a fire arrow from the heart to the pedestal as a solution. So yeah, that's not as exciting but it still worked lol.

We're supposed to do that?
I mean shooting a fire arrow? To me we're supposed to warm the heart at 12:00AM so meaning warm the pedestral.

Mandelbo

There's a shrine near the Plateau where you have to use a bomb to blast a stone block into the air, using it to shoot up a second bomb to blow up the blocks on the ceiling. At this point I didn't realise you could have two bombs out at once, so I launched myself up, stood on the rail that was guiding the stone block, and used a greataxe to break the blocks above me.

To carry the blue flame to Akkala's lab generator you usually need a torch, but you can basically set anything wooden on fire, it just breaks after a short while. I didn't have a torch with me, so I just beat a bunch of moblins and used their pointy sticks to carry the flame.

This sounded less dumb in my head.

There was one shrine where there's a set of scales, with the higher platform having a wooden crate on it.

Absent any other ideas of how to lower that platform, I shot about fifteen arrows in the side of the crate. They stuck in the side, and the extra weight of the arrows slowly lowered the platform. The platform reached the bottom, I hopped on and retrieved all of my arrows, and proceeded to finish the puzzle properly.

Septimius

So, did anyone who take on the shrine with the ball and wind actually do it the correct way? Because based on this thread everyone found another way of handling it ��

Oh, I broke that puzzle so fast, I actually had no clue on how to do it properly.

When you get in the mindset, you find so many ways to break things. Stasis on momentary floor switches etc. What's funny is I actually had a hard time with figuring out how to get certain Korok seeds. There's a couple I've found where there's been a stone ring in some body of water, and stones on the shore, but you couldn't throw the stones far enough to hit it. I just couldn't figure it out. I looked around and saw a chest floating on the water, so I was like, I'll just use cryosis to get it! Ooooooh!

Jintor

baiting lizards to pick up my sword and zap themselves in thunderstorms

i also laughed hysterically the first time a blademaster turned up to try and assassinate me in the middle of a storm and got lit up like a roman candle, taking out three moblin skals at the same time

cmc`

Neo Member

That Shrine is actually really easy though, I got it first time without really thinking about it too much, just thought "I'll try this way" and it was right

Foffy

Banned
I know I solved a gyro ball puzzle by cheating the momentum and having that be used to "bounce" the ball to the proper location.

Fliesen

There's a shrine where the "extra chest" gives you the climbing bandana , to reach it, you need to keep a ground switch pressed to move a platform.

I missed the fact that there's iron barrels later in the shrine that would serve as a weight to put onto that switch.

Putting 2 bombs and one 'shining orb' onto the switch was just enough weight to keep the button pressed.

random25

We're supposed to do that?
I mean shooting a fire arrow? To me we're supposed to warm the heart at 12:00AM so meaning warm the pedestral.

The heart is actually the heart-shaped hole on the huge stone tower in Rito village. When I asked several people what they did with that, the actually climbed the tower, waited in the hole watching the pedestal light up, then jumped out and paraglided then shot it with a fire arrow midair. When I said I just set a campfire on the pedestal, they were actually surprised.

I think they kind of mix it up with the usual Zelda puzzle of shooting arrows, like the other shrine quest
Where you need to shoot an arrow to the sun.

During the Trial of Thunder, one of the orbs that you're (I think) supposed to stasis-hit into the centre was on a high-enough platform that I couldn't climb it in the rain and I had basically no stamina at the time. And I didn't yet have or know about
Revali's Wind
. I had nfi how the fuck I was supposed to get up to this orb to hit it into the centre. So I chopped down a tree and rolled it to the base of the platform, killed a couple of nearby octoroks and attached the balloons from them to the log and clung on for dear life as it floated me up to the platform.

KHlover

Banned
During the Trial of Thunder, one of the orbs that you're (I think) supposed to stasis-hit into the centre was on a high-enough platform that I couldn't climb it in the rain and I had basically no stamina at the time. And I didn't yet have or know about
Revali's Wind
. I had nfi how the fuck I was supposed to get up to this orb to hit it into the centre. So I chopped down a tree and rolled it to the base of the platform, killed a couple of nearby octoroks and attached the balloons from them to the log and clung on for dear life as it floated me up to the platform.
I just shot those things down with arrows.

The standard arrows are called Wood(en?) Arrow for a reason. Game teaches you plenty of times that you can light all weapons made of wood on fire.

Myriadis

On eventide island, I killed
the hinox by putting statis on a boulder, smack and bomb it and lure the monster to stand right in front of it. Massive damage.

Kanhir

There was a shrine puzzle with like, fans blowing wind everywhere and some metal blocks. The goal was to get one of those balls into the glowy bowl. I think I was supposed to redirect the wind by arranging the blocks or something? Whatever it was I didn't have time for that. I just stacked the blocks, ran up to high ground, tossed the ball onto the blocks and it rolled over the fence and into the bowl.

I don't even know how the game wants you to do that, and I've run into the same identical puzzle in two shrines so far.

For one, I stood on the platform and used the metal block like a golf club to ease the ball into the glowy bowl.
For the other, I blocked the bowl with a metal block, stood on the platform, then lifted the block to let the ball roll in.

correojon

One thing I can think of is when I was taking on an enemy camp, there were 5 ice Keeses, many Bokoblins and Lizalfos and when the alarm sounded even more appeared from behind the camp. It was a trap and I fell right into it...so I backed away to some nearby trees and cut one trying to make it fall on a Bokoblin. It missed, but I noticed the Bokoblin couldn´t go over the fallen tree and instead tried to go around it. I remembered that somewhere I heard that, when outnumbered, Samurais used to run away to a tight corridor, to force their enemies to come at them one after another. So I cut down more trees, making them fall in such a way that they created a corridor. This way enemies could only attack me from the front one by one so I could handle them individually.

BTW, when I killed all of them and went into the skull cave to get the treasure chest a Blood Moon appeared and all the enemies respawned around me :S

Cirdan

Neo Member
First time I arrived at the Zora village I was down by the water. Instead of climbing up to reach the bridges that go there I just made a bunch of stairs with the ice blocks on the waterfall, made up a pretty memorable entrance at least.

There was some shrine that required you to spin a block with a mechanism to light torches on fire, but if you spin it wrong you douse the torches instead and reset your progress. The mechanism to spin the block is placed in such an awkward way too it's better to just make all the torches visible and use a couple fire arrows.

This is the one where I just dropped the ball on the lip of the hole and when it started rolling I put stasis on it and ran over to the platform before stasis ended. Subverted the whole puzzle.

Almost exactly what I did haha. Couldn't work out what was required so I dropped the ball next to the lip, stasis, hit it with an arrow, then ran to the platform before it wore off

venomenon

One shrine has several balls in a pool of water and an enclosed area in the corner of the room where you had to place one of the balls to proceed. Obviously the fence is too high to just throw a ball over it, but there's some metal thingy in the water so you can just use the magnet, fish out a ball with said thingy and place it in the enclosed area.

It's incredibly easy unless you don't realize there's this metal tool underwater (it's a bit hard to see if you stand in certain places). So, I used the ice module to get the balls out of the water and place them on solid ground. Then I used the statis module and tried to lob one of the balls over the fence. I think it took about 20 tries, constantly interrupted by having to get the balls out of the water again, but eventually it worked.

I didn't realize this wasn't the way to do it when a similar room followed, only this time the goal area was enclosed at the top too...

i dont know at wastelands tower I tried to build a structure to climb the damn tower..

then the structure just fell appart and touched the collums near by. that got into a domino effect and boom I had a way to climb the tower.

was by accident but felt really good

Trey

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";232470895]I did a puzzle in the elephant divine beast without having the controls from the map. It was the first divine beast I did, so I didn't know you actually needed the map to progress.

There's a wheel you're supposed to spin with the elephant's water spout to get a ball on a bar that's upside down to slide down into a socket.

What I did was drag a treasure chest with Magnesis all the way up to the puzzle area, stand next to the door that the ball unlocks, and gently nudged the ball upwards with the treasure chest until it triggered and made a mad dash before the door closed again.

Of course, I was super confused what to do after that since you still need the divine beast controls to solve the other puzzles.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I solved this puzzle.

I didn't know at the time that Stasis can be used to maintain momentum, so there was a puzzle where I couldn't figure out how to progress. Somehow, I instead figured out how to climb on the walls and bypass a ton of the puzzle lol.

RagnarokX

My favorite one was in Blue Flames, which is like the best shrine in the game. It's a very long sequence of puzzles where you have to light torches with blue flames. You need regular arrows and can't cheat with fire arrows.

When I reached this shrine I had 3 regular arrows and the shrine does not give you any. I really didn't feel like leaving and returning, so I got creative. The first few puzzles could have been solved by shooting blue flame arrows across gaps, but instead I lit a torch and tossed it across the gaps. All in all the dungeon required exactly 3 regular arrows and I got to the end with what I had on hand.

MutFox

Banned
Eventide Island.

I knocked the ball down from the top by accident.
There's no way to carry it all the way up.
Had to get it on a ledge and bomb it back up.
Tried stasis, but couldn't get an angle and other parts were too far away.

Took way longer to do, due to that mistake.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I just shot those things down with arrows.

The standard arrows are called Wood(en?) Arrow for a reason. Game teaches you plenty of times that you can light all weapons made of wood on fire.
Maybe it's my fault for not really taking in that normal arrow is now wood arrow, and I suffer from "I didn't think you'd be able to do that" syndrome, but I don't feel that bad about not assuming running up to a head height flame with a bow and arrow held at waist height would light the tip of the arrow and not burn the bow. I must have missed all of the lessons the game gives you about that.

There was a puzzle when I needed something to hold the switch down to open the door so I need to set the leaves on fire to drop the barrel which you could either do by shooting a fire arrow or standing on a switch and shoot the lanterns that fell.

I was like screw that I am not wasting a fire arrow or wear out my Bow so I went back to the other room and used Magnesis on the metal ball carried it back and placed it on the switch and carried on as normal.

There's actually an even more easier way, rotate it 90 degree anticlockwise, tilt it down and the ball will land on the end, then quickly tilt it back and then rotate it back to its original position tilt it down so the ball starts rolling and then quickly tilt it up at the end so the ball hops over to the other side.

The upside down method just wasn't working for me.

There's an even easier way than that, you don't​ need the ball at all. If you angle the maze on its size in a diamond shape slightly angled towards you, you can jump onto it, climb to its highest point and jump and glide over the wall where the end goal is.

StayDead

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";232470895]I did a puzzle in the elephant divine beast without having the controls from the map. It was the first divine beast I did, so I didn't know you actually needed the map to progress.

There's a wheel you're supposed to spin with the elephant's water spout to get a ball on a bar that's upside down to slide down into a socket.

What I did was drag a treasure chest with Magnesis all the way up to the puzzle area, stand next to the door that the ball unlocks, and gently nudged the ball upwards with the treasure chest until it triggered and made a mad dash before the door closed again.

Of course, I was super confused what to do after that since you still need the divine beast controls to solve the other puzzles.[/QUOTE]

lol this is exactly what I did.

Took me ages to get that door open >_<

I was so weak on Eventide Island. I dropped metal stuff all around the hinox feet as I hid under camp until lightning slowly but surely took him down to dead

Nice.. I really should try this next time.

I just... glided onto his belly.

What.. its not like you could one hit kill him though.

Two more that come to mind:

- There is a shrine where you have to light six torches on six faces of a motion-controlled rotating cube, splashed on both sides with water. The standard approach, I would imagine, is to
cut off or displace the water supply by various means (Stasis, for one), then quickly man the motion controls and precisely light up the torches that would otherwise be splashed.
That's rather demanding on your precision. But in BotW you are not restricted to grid-based rotational thinking&#8212;90 degrees on this axis, 90 degrees on that axis&#8212;which means you have the granularity to
position the cube along diagonals on multiple axes, such that five of the torches stay lit even when the water is running. Shut off one tap with Stasis, pop a single fire arrow to light the last torch, et voilà&#8212;no need to fumble with quick and precise motion-controlled rotation on a timer.

- Another shrine requires you to escort a block of ice through a series of fire traps that you have to shut off, obstruct, or otherwise circumvent. The ice doesn't all melt in one hit&#8212;the cube shrinks every time it melts from heat, along three stages I think, until it vanishes into nothing.
In other words, it can survive two hits from fire. So for the final part of the shrine, which was giving me trouble for reasons I can't remember (it was something to do with the orientation of the columns of flame, such that I couldn't block them and walk through while carrying the ice), I saw two columns of flame ahead and just tossed the ice right through it. Then I found my own way around. In the end I finished the shrine carrying a tiny little cube of ice, little bigger than a rock, but it was good enough for a passing grade.

My favorite one was in Blue Flames, which is like the best shrine in the game. It's a very long sequence of puzzles where you have to light torches with blue flames. You need regular arrows and can't cheat with fire arrows.

When I reached this shrine I had 3 regular arrows and the shrine does not give you any. I really didn't feel like leaving and returning, so I got creative. The first few puzzles could have been solved by shooting blue flame arrows across gaps, but instead I lit a torch and tossed it across the gaps. All in all the dungeon required exactly 3 regular arrows and I got to the end with what I had on hand.

Funny story about torches and blue flames: I reached the Akkala Tech Lab long, long before I was allowed to power it up (since I spent most of the game ignoring
the main quest past the Plateau, including the activation o the labs
), but I didn't know that yet. So from all the clues in the area about bringing the blue flame to the lab, I thought you were supposed to bring it indoors (and maybe offer it to the robot or something). In fact, I was doubly convinced that lighting something inside the building was the objective, as the structure was falling apart and you can in fact get in through the collapsed roof instead of using the door. So that's what I did: a bit of careful torch-throwing, and I took the blue flame inside where it was of no use whatsoever. I got a good screenshot out of it, at least.

jacobeid

Banned
In the motion controlled maze I literally just flipped the controller over and it flipped the board. I then balanced the ball on the flat side and flipped it out. It was surprising how easy it was.

I could not get this to work for the life of me. Worst shrine in the game for me so far and I'm 67 shrines in.

Thud

Being lazy is rewarding.

Was trying to get a horse yesterday. Ran into a silver bokoblin chasing a NPC. Gave it a few arrows. It was raining and lightning strikes a few times. Figured I couldn't be bothered wasting time on this dude, so I drop one of my metallic shields.

Bokoblin picks it up, gets fried. I loot him and get my shield back. Win win.

Peltz

I used the fire rod to create updrafts when battling my first Gaurdian and landed on top of him where he couldn't shoot me then chipped away at him with arrows and fire until he blew up.

How did you guys solve the shrine challenge, Thunder plains - or something like that. You walk into the area and a voice says there's a challenge like when they did at Eventide.

Near all the giant mushrooms. Need to place 4 orbs in their holes. 2 of them are outside of the raised circular area where they need to be.

There is a place at the plateau where the wall is a bid narrower and it had like a little grassy ramp. I placed the orb on the ramp, stasised and whacked it onto the plateau.

Top Bottom