• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

I need one of those full art Walk the Planks. I wonder how the will be given out. The text on the WPN site (before it was taken down) only mentioned full art foil land as what was given out at the open house.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Magic predated (and in some ways opened the door for) the American hobby game explosion in the 2000s. Nowadays you look at something like this and if it's a game people can play often enough you expect them to pay $100 a year (like, say, two Dominion expansions annually) but at that point the growth was in small games you could sell at a checkout counter for ten bucks. A starter fit their expectations of the market they knew about better.

Well, there's ways they could give them away to employees without falling afoul of tax laws or anything.

Thanks, and could you guys explain what you are talking about with the conversation for held back cards?

Also, the art on those cards is great. I assume "P" means prerelease?

Thanks, and could you guys explain what you are talking about with the conversation about held back cards?

Wotc keeps a bunch of their own stock for various reasons, card archives essentially, but they also have to pretend any card in a booster pack is worth nothing more than a fraction of said boosters price.
Something to do with gambling laws.

Couple years ago Wizards had a promotion going that they put cards from their own stock that they had pledged not to reprint into a few Zendikar boosters.

Justin

Thanks, and could you guys explain what you are talking about with the conversation for held back cards?

"P" means promo and are usually for pre-release and in store tournaments. They are usually have either alternate or full card art.

Violet_0

Banned
I don't know how people expect to see a functional reprint of the Titan cycle anyway. Those cards are pretty not-okay to have around.

I'd say Skysovereign came rather close to Inferno Titan
they'd probably want to avoid making another Grave, Sun, and especially Primeval Titan

I'd say Skysovereign came rather close to Inferno Titan
they'd probably want to avoid making another Grave, Sun, and especially Primeval Titan

Yeah, the Red and Blue Titans were the most "fair", which I guess is why they decided Torrential Gearhulk needs to be the least fair of the Hulks. (Of course the Red one is still underwhelming and the Green one is still problematic, because that's their color identities.)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, the Red and Blue Titans were the most "fair", which I guess is why they decided Torrential Gearhulk needs to be the least fair of the Hulks. (Of course the Red one is still underwhelming and the Green one is still problematic, because that's their color identities.)
There are no problematic gearhulks

bigkrev

What's kind of crazy is that Grave Titan was the most on-the-nose powerful Titan, and saw the least amount of Standard play in it's life in the format.

What's kind of crazy is that Grave Titan was the most on-the-nose powerful Titan, and saw the least amount of Standard play in it's life in the format.

I'm not going to pretend Primeval Titan isn't powerful in the abstract, but the fact that it could fetch creature lands and Kessig Wolf Run and life gain lands had a lot to do with how ridiculous it was. And we had access to two-mana non-creature ramp at the time. Geez that Standard feels closer to Modern powerful than Standard in hindsight.

bigkrev

I'm not going to pretend Primeval Titan isn't powerful in the abstract, but the fact that it could fetch creature lands and Kessig Wolf Run and life gain lands had a lot to do with how ridiculous it was. And we had access to two-mana non-creature ramp at the time. Geez that Standard feels closer to Modern powerful than Standard in hindsight.

Kessig Wolf Run didn't exist when Primeval Titan was printed. It was the "best" because it was fetching up Eldrazi Temple/Eye of Ugin in Eldrazi ramp decks, and Valakut/Mountains in Valakut decks.

bigkrev

Meanwhile, here is LSV's review of Frost Titan
Constructed: 1.0

Would shroud really have been too much to ask for? As is, this Titan doesn't even net you a whole card when you play it, and its ability doesn't really protect it by the time you get around to playing it.

bigkrev

Going back to look for Frost Titan results.... it's kind of crazy to me that the only major Standard tournaments from Magic 2011's release till Pro Tour Caw-Blade the following year were Nationals and Worlds.... almost 8 months between Standard GPs!

WotC basically has a ton of old cards from most older sets sitting around for various reasons. They don't as I understand it keep like a really thorough and well-organized archive, but it's still something that would be staggering compared to most individual people's collections.

Geez that Standard feels closer to Modern powerful than Standard in hindsight.

I mean you could play Lightning Bolt!

OnPoint

Kessig Wolf Run didn't exist when Primeval Titan was printed. It was the "best" because it was fetching up Eldrazi Temple/Eye of Ugin in Eldrazi ramp decks, and Valakut/Mountains in Valakut decks.

What? Wolf Run Blue was certainly a deck that used both Wolf Run and Titan.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=48345

Creatures (14)

3 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Frost Titan
2 Phantasmal Image
4 Primeval Titan
1 Snapcaster Mage
2 Thragtusk
Lands (26)

5 Forest
4 Island
1 Mountain
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Copperline Gorge
4 Glimmerpost
4 Hinterland Harbor
1 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Kessig Wolf Run
Spells (20)

1 Blasphemous Act
3 Bonfire of the Damned
4 Farseek
4 Ponder
4 Rampant Growth
4 Temporal Mastery
Sideboard

2 Thragtusk
2 Beast Within
3 Crushing Vines
2 Negate
1 Karn Liberated
1 Blasphemous Act
2 Whipflare
2 Cavern of Souls

Tunoku

You had Lightning Bolt, Path to Exile, Terminate, Maelstrom Pulse, Day of Judgment all in the same Standard format at some point. It was my first experience with Magic. Am I missing another removal spell from back then?

You had Lightning Bolt, Path to Exile, Terminate, Maelstrom Pulse, Day of Judgment all in the same Standard format at some point. It was my first experience with Magic. Am I missing another removal spell from back then?

It really makes Frost Titan even more hilarious.

Oh gosh do I want to pay 2 extra mana to Doom Blade this 6 CMC creature gee I don't know I'd better just let it swing I guess.

Suggested replacement text for Frost Titan:

"When Frost Titan becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, try not to cry.

When Frost Titan leaves the battlefield, cry a lot."

bigkrev

Yes, I'm aware that Primeval could get Kessig Wolf Run.... 16 months after Titans were first printed, and Grave Titan was a $30 card that everyone assumed was the most busted creature printed since Baneslayer Angel

Dies to Doom Blade!

Firemind

Blightning
Destroy target Planeswalker. Owner discards two cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They should bring back good removal and 4 mana wraths.

They should also just bring back Baneslayer for kicks

Tunoku

Standard Jund was sweet. Even cascading into Putrid Leech felt great.

Blightning
Destroy target Planeswalker. Owner discards two cards.

Back when Planeswalkers were terrible.

jace_a_lot_2.JPG

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Wotc keeps a bunch of their own stock for various reasons, card archives essentially, but they also have to pretend any card in a booster pack is worth nothing more than a fraction of said boosters price.
Something to do with gambling laws.

Couple years ago Wizards had a promotion going that they put cards from their own stock that they had pledged not to reprint into a few Zendikar boosters.

WotC basically has a ton of old cards from most older sets sitting around for various reasons. They don't as I understand it keep like a really thorough and well-organized archive, but it's still something that would be staggering compared to most individual people's collections.

So the fear is they could release them and tank the market? But if they put them in boosters it's not "gambling."

"P" means promo and are usually for pre-release and in store tournaments. They are usually have either alternate or full card art.

Thanks.

I played my first live game today with a Welcome Deck of Black/Green. It becomes obvious pretty quickly that if you don't know how the cards interact, you are at an instant disadvantage. The other player was really patient and explained some of the things I missed/what would have been better to play.

There were also two tourney players there testing their Aggro and Control decks for a GP in Washington D.C. Cool to see, but fuck if I knew what was going on. lol

Violet_0

Banned
the cool part is that you can make dinosaurs walk the plank
the weird part is that you can make krakens and leviathans walk the plank

Justin

So the fear is they could release them and tank the market? But if they put them in boosters it's not "gambling."

I played my first live game today with a Welcome Deck of Black/Green. It becomes obvious pretty quickly that if you don't know how the cards interact, you are at an instant disadvantage. The other player was really patient and explained some of the things I missed/what would have been better to play.

There were also two tourney players there testing their Aggro and Control decks for a GP in Washington D.C. Cool to see, but fuck if I knew what was going on. lol

Keep at it and it will come in time. Keep an eye on your local game stores schedule for September because the Open House is the event they hold for new players so there will be a bunch of new people to play against and also long time players looking to help new players learn. That is also where they will be handing out those awesome full art Walk the Plank cards. It should be around September 15th or 16th. Then of course you have the pre-release on September 23rd and 24th which you dont want to miss.

Zocano

Who cares about moons and shit, just tie Emrakul
the Promised End
to a couple bricks and make her walk the plank.

you must have misunderstood something, there is no fear. Especially with Magic depending a great deal on the secondary market. The thing is Wotc participating in it would be unethical considering they directly control supply.
Putting a select few of reserve list cards in boosters was just a one time gimmick years ago.

MtG is a product also intended for kids something gambling laws do a great deal to protect for and as such Wizards in general tries their hardest not to acknowledge anything that could associate the two.

So the fear is they could release them and tank the market?

They assuredly don't have remotely enough of anything* to actually make a dent in the market. There isn't much in terms of normal sets where there's enough that plausibly exists for it to majorly swing prices.

In terms of acknowledging the secondary market it's not as simple as "gambling laws." Most statutes covering gambling are reasonably specific about what qualifies and you're not going to stumble into one by talking about your product a specific way. Most of the things people are typically hoping for when they want WotC employees to discuss the secondary market are also probably, on their own, fine for them to do.

The best guess for the real underlying reason here is that while it's okay for WotC to acknowledge that a secondary market exists and what trends are present in it, they want to avoid anything that could be taken as guaranteeing prices, which talking about the monetary value of different cards could do unintentionally. If they block almost all discussion of secondary market issues, they avoid anyone going too far in this way.

Please note that WotC is ludicrously, notoriously conservative from a legal standpoint. One of their other oft-repeated rules is that designers can never see custom cards on the off chance someone sues them for stealing an idea, when over in Hearthstone land designers openly admit to looking at custom designs.

*The possible exception is stuff that's not for public consumption -- for example, there was a test print run called "Summer Magic" that was never supposed to be publicly released but accidentally shipped a few cases out, but currently people think more than half the supply came from WotC employees.

*The possible exception is stuff that's not for public consumption -- for example, there was a test print run called "Summer Magic" that was never supposed to be publicly released but accidentally shipped a few cases out, but currently people think more than half the supply came from WotC employees.

Never heard of this. What happened there?

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Revised_Edition#Summer_Magic

They made a version of revised to fix some issues (like Senerb Efreet having the wrong art), but it ended up having more issues- like the infamous Blue Hurricane- and was supposed to be destroyed, but a small amount ended up getting shipped out

Scryfall has images of the set so you can actually do a search that puts every card up next to its Revised version to compare the differences: https://scryfall.com/search?q=+++e:sum+or+e:3ed

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
It should be around September 15th or 16th. Then of course you have the pre-release on September 23rd and 24th which you dont want to miss.

I was talking to the employee about the prerelease, but now I gotta go back and discuss the open house. Thanks!

you must have misunderstood something, there is no fear.
MtG is a product also intended for kids something gambling laws do a great deal to protect for and as such Wizards in general tries their hardest not to acknowledge anything that could associate the two.

They assuredly don't have remotely enough of anything* to actually make a dent in the market. There isn't much in terms of normal sets where there's enough that plausibly exists for it to majorly swing prices.

In terms of acknowledging the secondary market it's not as simple as "gambling laws." Most statutes covering gambling are reasonably specific about what qualifies and you're not going to stumble into one by talking about your product a specific way. Most of the things people are typically hoping for when they want WotC employees to discuss the secondary market are also probably, on their own, fine for them to do.

Fear was the wrong word. And thanks for the explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom