• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft revises Watch Dog's PC specs (even more demanding ones, 6GB RAM minimum)

Miguel81

These specs are a benefit to the PC gaming master race. No longer being held back by 32bit, absurdly low memory usage and a lack of proper multi-threaded support.

The biggest problem are the 50GB+ games sizes. I have unlimited bandwidth, but I feel for those that don't.

Arulan

Complaints about 6 gigs can stuff it in my fact. This is way long overdue; PC games were absolutely hamstrung by Team 512.

Walled cities everywhere you turn, no levitate because of walled cities, because of severe lack of memory? Bethesda, you blimey cors! And the PS3 suffered worst of all. 7 years of famine are done; it's time to feast. Use the gigs. Use all of the gigs, all of the time, back and forth, forever.

This thread has already delivered.

Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up.

It's time Bethesda, time to explore the moving city-trees of Valenwood, the dune-cities of Elsweyr, or the magnificent mer-cities of the Summerset Isles!

Obviously I'm excited at the prospect of new standards and the advancements that go along with it.

Herne

Piffle. My I5 2500 would run this game on all the highest settings (along with the 12GB of memory and Radeon 7970). Nuts to this i7 recommended crap. I'm getting the Wii U version, but I'd have no doubts about this running on my system with every setting set to ultra.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, who will be the first to max out at 4K 3D @ 120fps?

Isn't this supposed to come out for the Wii U?

I can see both the Sony and MS consoles handling this easily enough but isn't the Wii UI not powerful enough for the recommended?

Herne

I can see both the Sony and MS consoles handling this easily enough but isn't the Wii UI not powerful enough for the recommended?

It's coming out on 360 and PS3, too, so it will look similar though slightly better than on those.

SparkTR

Yikes. OK, I fail at reading statistics. Interestingly enough, that actually makes the situation worse:

62.79% of steam users (about 34 million-ish) have DX11 GPU + Windows 7.

Let's assume all of those DX11 systems are minimum 4-core and 1GB video memory and 6GB of RAM. That's a potential sales pool of about 34 Million.

At 1.5M in PC sales, Skyrim sold to about 2.8% of the Steam userbase. Let's assume those are evenly distributed.

2.8% of 34 million is ~945K units

Best case is still <1M sales.

If Torchlight 2, an indie game with no marketing, sold over 2 million copies via Steam then I can't believe Skyrim sold less in a longer amount of time despite it not leaving the top 20 sellers since 2011. VG Chartz is useless even for console retail numbers, and retail numbers in general are useless for PC games.

The next-gen/PC and current gen/Wii U versions are probably difference products with different code bases. I can pretty much guarantee even on the lowest setting the PC version will look significantly better than the current-gen version.

Seriously, there's something really, REALLY messed up that a game being released next year can't run on a console that is only 1 year old.

No matter how you look at it, that's some messed up shit there people....

This game better be the Crysis of the new generation otherwise I'm with others..Ubisoft smoking some serious weed....

Herne

Seriously, there's something really, REALLY messed up that a game being released next year can't run on a console that is only 1 year old.

No matter how you look at it, that's some messed up shit there people....

This game better be the Crysis of the new generation otherwise I'm with others..Ubisoft smoking some serious weed....

Eh? It is out this year and will be releasing on XB1 and PS4. What weed are you smoking?

Eh? It is out this year and will be releasing on XB1 and PS4. What weed are you smoking?

The Wii U.

I know people forget this at times but the Wii U _IS_ part of the 8th generation of consoles and Ubisoft is releasing a game that a 8th generation console CAN"T RUN.

Seriously, since when did a console get eclipsed in 1 freaking year by a multiplatform game?

Herne

The Wii U.

I know people forget this at times but the Wii U _IS_ part of the 8th generation of consoles and Ubisoft is releasing a game that a 8th generation console CAN"T RUN.

Seriously, since when did a console get eclipsed in 1 freaking year by a multiplatform game?

It didn't, it's being released on Wii U. Obviously since it is on a different level of performance than the PS4 and XB1, it's getting the version being developed for it, the 360 and PS3. But thanks to the extra memory it'll have higher resolution textures and, of course, will utilise the game pad.

Zarx

Yikes. OK, I fail at reading statistics. Interestingly enough, that actually makes the situation worse:

62.79% of steam users (about 34 million-ish) have DX11 GPU + Windows 7.

Let's assume all of those DX11 systems are minimum 4-core and 1GB video memory and 6GB of RAM. That's a potential sales pool of about 34 Million.

At 1.5M in PC sales, Skyrim sold to about 2.8% of the Steam userbase. Let's assume those are evenly distributed.

2.8% of 34 million is ~945K units

Best case is still <1M sales.

Far Cry 3 sold 1m+ copies on PC. Skyrim has been out for longer and was the fastest selling game on Steam ever, with ~300k simultaneous players at launch and sold 11m+ total vs FC3's 4.5m.

Watch Dogs (along with BF4, COD: Ghosts, ACIV, ArmA 3) will drive a lot of PC hardware upgrades over the next few months. Now that games are starting to regularly require more powerful hardware PC gamers will upgrade their machines so that they can play them.

SparkTR

GAF has convinced me all PCs are stronger than a PS4 so 6 GB should be easy.:)

Seriously thought, meeting the recommended specs should be dead easy if you have a remotely up-to-date gaming PC. I got a mid-range one in late 2011 and I meet the recommended pretty easily.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hard to tell how the next gen will play out. Nvidia have a bunch of PhysX and optimisation exclusive shit for more or less everything Ubisoft though.

Seriously thought, meeting the recommended specs should be dead easy if you have a remotely up-to-date gaming PC. I got a mid-range one in late 2011 and I meet the recommended pretty easily.

3770, 8 GB and 2GB VRAM video card was considered mid range in 2011?

The Wii U.

The Wii? Nintendo put itself in the same situation last generation. Gears of War came out the same year as the Wii and there is no way the Wii could ever run something like that. It's not unreasonable for a fairly cutting age game to not run on underpowered hardware.

Of course, Watch Dogs is coming to Wii U.

Goldrush

Meets the recommended except for the processor which is the minimum. This might actually be the first game I experienced that will be bottleneck by the processor.

Piffle. My I5 2500 would run this game on all the highest settings (along with the 12GB of memory and Radeon 7970). Nuts to this i7 recommended crap. I'm getting the Wii U version, but I'd have no doubts about this running on my system with every setting set to ultra.

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you are choosing the Wii U version when you have a decent PC?

KKRT00

3770, 8 GB and 2GB VRAM video card was considered mid range in 2011?

Yep, i bought mid range PC in Q3 2011 with i5 2500k, 8GB, and GTX 560 for around 600E. I dont met 2gb VRAM, but it was harder to get more than 1gb vram back then, it was only highest end cards.

DieH@rd

Banned
I fully expected specs like this.

And these are games that are made to run on currentgen consoles. In one years time, fully nextgen multiplatfrom games will require even more [The Division].

Lanark

Looks like the time that my sli 570GTX could easily run virtually all games a 1080p60fps at max settings are behind us. But I really don't want to upgrade untill the next gen of Nvidia cards. I really appreciated not having to worry about what settings I would use with every game, just set everything to max and ready to go. I guess I'll have to worry about that a lot more the next 6 months or so.

King_Moc

Banned
I fully expected specs like this.

And these are games that are made to run on currentgen consoles. In one years time, fully nextgen multiplatfrom games will require even more [The Division].

I hope so. It's good to see PC graphics finally getting pushed forward in areas other than IQ and resolution.

Effect

Hmm. My PC might be match the recommended but I'd have to double check. However I'm pretty sure I don't even want to get a PC version of this even if I'll have no problem running it. I fully expect there to be a lot of issues getting this to run smoothly no matter. Rather stick with the Wii U version if the game turns out to be good. That's still a big unknown and I wish that would be acknowledged more by people.

Why the Wii U version if I can run likely this on PC? It was asked before. Mainly because I do not want to have to deal with the issues to get this running well on my PC. I work in IT and I actually hate having to troubleshoot my own computer when I get home most days. The Wii U is the latest console I have and I don't plan on getting a PS4 until there are more games out for it that I really want to play. The Wii U version, if Ubisoft is telling the truth, will be better looking then the PS3/360 versions and that's good enough for me.

KKRT00

Hmm. My PC might be match the recommended but I'd have to double check. However I'm pretty sure I don't even want to get a PC version of this even if I'll have no problem running it. I fully expect there to be a lot of issues getting this to run smoothly no matter. Rather stick with the Wii U version if the game turns out to be good. That's still a big unknown and I wish that would be acknowledged more by people.

Current gen version will probably run this game similarly to GTA 5, so very poorly.

Top Bottom